ORAS Doubles OU Scary Monsters and A Nice Sprite

P is For Penguin

formerly MainEvent

Banner by: rozes
Intro:
Hey guys, this is my first RMT been wanting to do one for awhile. This one is to celebrate me reaching 200 posts on Smogon. Any of my doubles friends, this team may look very familiar because I've been using it for a good amount of time now. This team originated during skymin suspect and has stayed strong with minor updates since then. This was also the team I used mostly to help me win the first DOU Room Tour Championship back in August.

Process:

This team originally started with Deo-A, I wanted something that could deal with scarf landorus-t (and Skymin during that meta) so I decided to build a team around Deo-A due to this and its ability to nuke Amoonguss, Keldeo, and pretty much everything else in the teir.

I then decided to partner Mega Kang with Deo-A in order to compensate for the frailty of Deo-A and free up turns for it with the ability to Fake Out opposing mons so Deo-A has the ability to more freely go for kills without worrying about being KOed or going down to sash. Another factor is Mega Kangs access to decently strong priority in sucker punch and ability to hit hard.

The next member of the team is defensive Gyarados. Gyarados is great here fulfilling multiple roles such as intimidate, ground immunity, and something to help the teams rain matchup. Gyarados is also key for helping the team to check opposing Mega Kangaskhan due to intimidate + thunder wave. It also serves as a good switchin to Talonflame and brings taunt utility.

Kyurem-B is the next addition. Using substitute Kyurem-B to setup on things and gain free turns. It also serves as an answer to Heatran and Rotom-W. Sub + Tect is also used as an answer to stalling out trick room.

From here i added Sylveon because fighting types started to look troublesome and particularly mach punch. Sylveon has amazing synergy with this team, Kang Fake outs giving somewhat free Hyper Voices and Gyarados intimidate to help it survive physical hits. It also serves as another decent mon to combat Trick Room.

And now the newest addition to the team. Heatran is here to round out the team serving as an answer to sun teams and running goggles makes it a spore switchin. Heatran also helps the team vs opposing fairys and steels which the team had hard times dealing with reliably before.

The Team:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Well there is not much special about this Kang set, Inner Focus is the ability of choice to avoid getting flinched by opposing mons. 188 Speed is used to outpace base 70s, Max attack and the rest is put into HP for added bulk. It is an amazing mon in the metagame, Double edge hits extremely hard. PuP gives coverage and free SD boost. Fake Out provides free turns for Kangs partner. And Sucker Punch is decent priority.

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 62 Atk / 252 SpA / 194 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Detect

Here we have the Deo-A set, 194+ speed allows it to outspeed Adamant Landorus-T scarf and most of the metagame. Max SpA to take advantage of Psycho Boost stab to hit pretty much everything hard, ice beam is coverage for hitting two or the three main dragons which resist or are immune to Deo-A's stab these being Latios and Hydreigon. Superpower is used in the last slot to hit dark and steel types which are immune and resist the previous moves. Lastly detect is opted for over protect to avoid any imprison shenanigans so Deo-A can keep sash intact or survive for as long as possible.

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Protect

Defensive support Gyarados is honestly a really cool set. Bringing intimidate whenever it switches in which can mean the difference between your opponent getting KOs and not getting them. Also bringing speed control in the form of thunder wave, slowing mons which could otherwise severely threaten the team. Gyarados also brings taunt stopping opposing mons from doing things such as spreading status, setting up stat boosts, or setting up Trick Room.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

Pretty basic sub Kyurem-B set. Runs enough speed to outspeed base 70s allowing it to setup on Breloom spores and allowing it to outpace Bisharp. Ice Beam + Earth Power is almost perfect coverage thanks to teravolt. And abusing Sub + Protect in case opponent gets Trick Room up.

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Sub Heatran with googles, allowing a switch in to spore spam and also usually forcing the spore mon out fearing Heat Wave. Heatran is also an amazing answer to sun teams being immune to fire and completely walling Venusaur. Sub + Protect also allows to stall out Trick Room like Kyurem-B however this is not ideal due to no lefties recovery.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast

- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Basic specs Sylveon set. You will be clicking Hyper Voice 99% of the time, the only time you wont be clicking it is vs Wide Guard users or when the majority of the opposing team remaining resits fairy. Also it should be noted that Moonblast is stronger vs single targets. The EVs allow Sylveon to survive Mega Kangaskhan Return.

Threats:
Mega Kangaskhan: Have to be careful when playing around keeping gyarados alive for intimidates is a major factor. Also keeping my own Kang alive to come in and fake out it is important. Having subs up with Heatran and Kyurem-B also help.

Aegislash: Without knowing the set it could be a big problem. Wide guard can put a stop to Sylveon blasting through a team and avoiding Heatran Heat Waves. Hitting it with Earth Power can be scary due to Weakness Policy boosts. If Gyarados can taunt it while in Blade Form it is easy to shut down.

/
Sylveon/Mega Gardevoir: Mega Kangaskhan needs to stay healthy in order to deal with these along with Heatran. Without them pixilated Hyper Voices really hurt.

Conclusion:
I'm extremely happy with this team. It was one of my first doubles teams and has continued to serve me for a long period of time. I encourage people to give it a go its probably one of the very few doubles teams you will see without Landorus-T.

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Protect

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 62 Atk / 252 SpA / 194 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Detect

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 108 HP / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Protect

Doubles Peeps:
Nido-Rus Thank you so much you have been a great friend since i started doubles and helped me work on this team a lot. I remember working on that Deo-A spread with you way back. Thanks Fren.
Yoda2798 Another person who has been a great friend from the start. Thanks for missing me when I left and encouraging me to come back
Yellow Paint Thanks for helping me get back in to doubs some friend. Thanks for letting me team with you and Nido for Giraffe tour
SpaceBass Thanks for hosting the Doubles Room Tour Championships, it was a lot of fun the first time and someday I'll come back to defend the title. I know i don't really talk in the doubles room all that often anymore but i was glad to be a part of that.
kamikaze17 I haven't talked to you in a long time. But you helped me a lot when I first started doubles, thank you
qsns Its been a little rough in the past, but thanks for welcoming back and wanting me to come play more doubles.
Pocket Arguably the most important shoutout in this entire list. Pocket i can't thank you enough for all the support you gave me as a new player to the doubles community. I miss you friend, and you are one of the biggest reasons I stayed with doubles

RU Peeps:
thecrystalonix I think i originally made this team for you for something but I dont remember what
Kableye The memes we share keep me coming back to PS
aoemica Free 6 Ambipom teams
atomicllamas thanks for being one of my first friends on PS. Also talking about doubles when you actually played was cool
Heydude:D & xastify are nerds
gnark my original RU homie throwback to those Scyther + Mag turn teams
tehy is a bro, but stall is gay man :/
Scythe. One of the old RU guys, we dont talk that much anymore friend :(
Schaff miss ya friend :(
Feliburn hi
ZANBAKUResh for keeping it real

Other Peeps:
Lax quality friend, solid memer
Twix don't quit dude :(
slurmz throwback to WTF Is A Slurmz
Ace thanks for being a friend, and trying to help me find resources for this RMT
Pearl You're free
rozes thanks again for the banner, I love it and its amazing <3

sorry to anyone i missed D:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Was the original member in Heatran's spot.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

Replaced aegislash was later replaced by hetran.

Last edited:

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey dude, Nice team you got there, just a few changes though-

1.Just that I know that pup seems attractive , but it is more viable with return though, as double edge recoil puts you in ohko range of lots of stuff like banded talon brave bird and stuff. plus I dont think your team needs much more setting up, its quite offensive, so I'd recommend low kick over it, as it is pretty good on kanga, as it eliminates a lot of stuff that kanga might face problems when not boosted, like heatran and basically most steel types, as well as ohkoes opposing kyu-black.
It's basically depends on you though, if you are effectively using it then keep it, though I think kanga appreciates a little more immediate power for your team.

2. Deoxys needs extreme speed to play mind games with opposing kanga and hitting talon before it screws over you, incase you have your sash broken. You replace it with ice beam as psyco boost hits mostly unresisted stuff enough hard, and for the occasional hydregon you have got superpower for it anyways.

3. Also you are kind of sun weak, with most char-ys having hp ground or focus blast, so heatran is not a reliable check anymore, so I think you should use bulky thundy as it does whatever gyarados does much better plus checks TR setters better and also will almost always t-wave opposing kangas.

4. You are going to spam hyper voices anyways so I dont think moonblast is optimal, as it is only a last resort option, so you can use hyper beam as a one time nuke,and helps you against calm mind cress as nothing damages it that much on your team, I think it does about 85 percent to it. More upto you though, I just prefer hyper beam.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 74 Def / 132 SpA / 40 SpD / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt
This set survives 3 lando-t rock slides and special attack evs are adjusted to ohko scarfed lando-t with hp ice.

Best of Luck :o)

Hi MainEvent cool looking team, and it seems you have had some success with it :o First thing I noticed is you have a goggles sub Tran with hp evs for maximum leftovers recovery which is pretty redundant. Subbing once puts you in range of Charizard-Y's Hp Ground so I would get rid of sub altogether and replace it with Will-O-Wisp to neuter Kangaskhan and BD Azumarill so Sylveon or your Kangaskhan can take a +6 burned Aqua Jet. I would also make Heatran max Special Attack Modest and max Speed to have the best shot at out speeding opposing Heatran. For Kangaskhan I would just give it max Attack Adamant and max Speed as well. You didn't specify what the bulk on Kang did so I think out speeding bulky Charizard, Kyurem-B, and Hydreigon is more important. It also gives you the best shot at out speeding other Adamant Kangaskhans which is quite common. For Sylveon I would take out 16 Special Attack evs and put them into speed to out speed the standard 92 speed Azumarill. This isn't essential it just might come in handy :p Uh last thing is pretty big. Because you're not using Lando your team is so weak to Diancie+Jirachi like you can't even play around it, it just wins. You said you used to have Lando in place of Heatran, that might be the best solution but it makes you weaker to Venusaur in sun among other things and you already replaced it for some reason or another for Tran.

Well thats it, hope I was of some help. Gl with the team :3

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 236 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)