ORAS Doubles OU Shadow Tagged!: Tourney Debut Team

OFFICIAL BLT TEAM OF:

INTRODUCTION:

And yes, I have just started to get on tournament scene this week, thanks to the Best Leaderboards' Tournament. I have enjoyed the past month for all the Doubles battles and the new experience of being in an official tournament. This team is my first official tourney team, and soon enough, this may appear on the Doubles OU ladder as a standard laddering team that I'll use, aside from all the other teams that I use in Dubs. Although I lost in my first match, this forum will be a remembrance to my debut in tournament scene.

A BIT OF STORYTELLING: This team was created last week, which had a sole purpose: tourney usage. This was the team which I used to make my first official tournament battle, versus Silverwhiteblue of the Humilau Huntails. I didn't really want to use my often used Pokemon, as it could result to a possible mirror match. I was right, as he had Kangaskhan-Mega in his team, and we could've nearly had a mirror match in Round 1. After all, even if I lost, we had a really solid match, with a match record of 0-2. To be honest, I had risky plays in my part, but it doesn't matter anyway. I've learned my lesson of playing safe after all.

Moving on...
THE TEAM IN DETAIL:

Gengar (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate -- Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

GENERAL ANALYSIS: I really want to build my team around a considerably underrated Mega Pokemon like this big guy here. Seriously, when you play with this guy correctly, it can limit your opponent's possible choices and avoid switch-ins. At an instance, it can even help you secure a KO or two with this freak. With a base 130 Speed at Mega Evolution, it's fast enough to outpace many non-Choice Scarf threats in Doubles OU. Paired with Shadow Tag, it can prevent your opponents from switching freely, giving you different opportunities to weaken/shut down opposing teams.

MOVESET AND EV SPREAD: The fact that I would like to use Gengar-M to weaken things starting from threats to a whole team, I didn't opt for the Perish Trapper set, as I find it a gimmicky set to use, and that it doesn't fit my team. Instead, I went for the Special Attacking set, which is pretty straightforward yet considerably tricky to deal with. Shadow Ball is the 1st STAB of choice, which breaks through Cresselia and Jellicent, 2 of the most common Trick Room setters in the meta. Sludge Bomb fares well versus annoying fairy types that I may be able to trap with this guy. Will-o-Wisp combined with a few Intimidate games with Gyarados can weaken physical attackers badly, and would tend to have little to no way of getting boosts while Gengar is up on the field. Finally, Protect is the final move, which is very important in every team. 252+ Speed EVs and 252 SpA EVs make you outspeed virtually all Pokemon that has no speed boost in any way, as well as hitting Pokemon hard.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Quick Guard
- Protect

GENERAL ANALYSIS: Gengar has a number of things that have to be dealt with before it successfully performs its job, Bisharp being the main threat. Because of that, I added this fat-ass Pokemon to help deal with that freak. Also, it provides me with a good way to put Charizard-Y and Talonflame out of commision, aside from just Bisharp and Kangaskhan-M. It's also the first half of my "Dual Sash" core, which I feel like I need in the team to at least tank a single hit. Aside from that, Terrakion has nothing else much to be discussed about.

MOVESET AND EV SPREAD: Rock Slide is an obligatory STAB move used to target Char-Y, Talonflame and other threats to put out from commision, and as a way to avoid Rage Powder. Close Combat is its 2nd and strongest STAB move, which takes out Mega Kangaskhan and other threats such as Bisharp. I haven't really seen much use in Quick Guard, but I feel like it needs to be there not as filler, but to avoid Fake Outs from non-Mega Kangaskhan trying to target my Gengar (if they think it's Sash), or in some situations, to avoid Brave Birds from Talonflame. Finally, Protect. 252 Attack EVs make it hit hard and 252+ Speed EVs make it outspeed Char-Y.

Bisharp (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

GENERAL ANALYSIS: The 2nd thing about Gengar that will make it move back 1 square is Landorus-Therian. Yes, that thing is one of the few common things in Doubles OU that destroys Mega Gengar, and Bisharp can simply come in on a Landorus-T, provided that it gets the Defiant boost after Intimidate. It's also another way to stop Fairies, because they are totally good in the meta, and there needs a way to stop them. As a frail Pokemon, it is meant to have Focus Sash, of course to live a hit, like Terrakion. Other than that, alas. This is a very outstanding Pokemon.

MOVESET AND EV SPREAD: Knock Off is important on this guy, wearing down a specific Pokemon's item of your choice. It's also a good way to take off things such as opposing Sitrus Berries from walls and other things. Iron Head says goodbye to all fairies out there who are still on their way to destroy this team. Sucker Punch provides you with a reliable priority attack that damages faster threats such as Metagross, Landorus-T and others. Finally, Protect. Yeah, 252 Atk and 252+ Spe because this guy is frail.

Gyarados (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Thunder Wave Icy Wind

GENERAL ANALYSIS: Instead of choosing those regularly bulky Water types such as Suicune and Rotom-Wash, I went for something quite underused but effective. Gyarados popped out in my mind, as it provides Intimidate to further weaken physical attackers while being able to act as a physical wall. It's really an effective Pokemon to use, but I wonder how players don't even use it a lot (well, most probably WashTom kills it, yeah). What else do I need to say about this? <- - -lol

MOVESET AND EV SPREAD: Taunt prevents most support Pokemon such as redirection users and status spreaders from functioning at all. Waterfall prevents this guy from being Taunt bait (if ever they find out this is not my Mega. To be honest, I never thought my opponent at Week 1 BLT would not know Gyara was not my mega). Protect. No need for other explanations for Protect. Finally, I originally had Thunder Wave as my final move, but it was honestly a mistake. I really wanted Icy Wind, since I figured out my opponent would not use a Bisharp, but now, I guess the change needs to be applied. Icy Wind, because it slows both active Pokemon on your opponent's side. The set came from the Smogon Analysis, so the EV Spread is just there for readers to look at.

Amoonguss (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

GENERAL ANALYSIS: There is that one thing I love about this Pokemon, and that is the ability to play with redirection, and it offers help for Mega Gengar to play with different mindgames thanks to Rage Powder. Amoonguss is a dedicated check to rain, acting as a mini punching bag for opponents while you try to take on with the rest of the team with another Pokemon. It's also a good check to Trick Room, because once it's up, you'll be able to at least spread Spore or heal off with Giga Drain. Overall, it's a solid Pokemon to work around with.

MOVESET AND EV SPREAD: Rage Powder is, in my opinion, the most important move in this set, because the ability to make opposing Pokemon draw their attention to this gives your other teammate the freewill to decimate the opposition with little to no pressure at all. In short, it's like a two-way cooperation move. Spore is another must on Amoonguss, simply because once Trick Room is up, it's almost a guaranteed sleep on one from the opposing team. Protect. Finally, I chose Giga Drain over Sludge Bomb, since you have enough ways to get rid of fairy types. It also gives you a way to break down water types, which is really good for the team. I didn't have a literal purpose for my EV Spread, but what I can say is that it makes this guy tank mostly special hits, because Gyarados already has the physical bulk, so this mushroom has to tank most special hits.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Protect

GENERAL ANALYSIS: To complete the FWG core of my team, enter Heatran. Since Gengar can be quite frail on tanking Hyper Voice from the strong fairy types, and Amoonguss can get worn down over time due to continuous use of Rage Powder, I added another fairy resist. Basically, this thing is here to answer Sun teams, which is probably the biggest threat to the team. It also adds another answer to things like Talonflame. In my match-up, one of my teammates recommended me to use Air Balloon to remove the x4 Ground, but now the match is over, I personally recommend Shuca Berry, because Air Balloon isn't really going to last long. Although it negates Ground, the ability of Shuca Berry to turn x4 weakness to ground to x2 is pretty good, as it gives you a neat way to hit back certain Pokemon. Other than the above, what else to say? < - - lol.

MOVESET AND EV SPREAD: Heat Wave gives you a nice move to spam, with a respectable 95 BP and 10% chance of burning physical attackers or other Pokemon. It also gives you a way to get rid of Follow Me and Rage Powder. Earth Power is another move you can use to take on things such as Terrakion at -1 speed, Heatran, and others (basically a coverage move). I chose Ancient Power over Flash Cannon, again because you have more way to hit fairies. It also gives you a way to hit things such as Talonflame and Char-Y. Finally, Protect. This is a basic EV Spread for Heatran, so yeah. Hehe!

~ ~ ~PLAYER'S BONUS NOTES ~ ~ ~

There are other things I want to share to all of you forum lurkers.

~~All Pokemon in this team have Protect. Yes, all Pokemon have this very important move, so that all members can team up with Mega Gengar in the active positions. Since Mega Gengar can trap Pokemon with its powerful ability, you can take advantage of partially stalling out things such as Tailwind and Trick Room.

~~This team was insipred by one of Aaron "Cybertron" Zheng's VGC teams. I am also a fan of several Youtubers, including Cybertron. The 2 cores, Gengar/Terrakion/Bisharp and a FGW core, were all part of his Mega Venusaur team. However, I chose to change Mega Venusaur to try out a more mindgame making Mega Pokemon, but I kept the 2 cores together.

~~This is the link to my actual BLT Week 1 battle. I also would like to thank Acast for inviting me to BLT, as well as the whole Lumiose Luxrays team. They're totally awesome!
~~Thanks for reading this forum. Yes. By simply reading this forum, I already appreciate all of your efforts of reading RMT forums like this. Leaving a rate even helps more, so why not drop a rate if you can? It helps me know what to change and how to deal with things better. :]

~Much love, Majore D' Mawile.
(C) 4/17/2015

Last edited:
*Whoops! I forgot to slap these in!*

SET SUBSTITUTIONS
You may decide to switch some moves of these Pokemon:

~~ FIRST OPTION: ~~
~ Gengar's Destiny Bond > Sludge Wave. This gives you opportunities to put an opposing Pokemon who tries to KO Gengar out of commission. Basically, it is a good way to make up for Gengar's frail defensive stats.

MANDATORY CHANGE:
Once you applied that change, I recommend giving Flash Cannon to Heatran over Ancient Power. Since you lose Gengar's Sludge Bomb to take out fairies, it's a must to put this on Heatran to have a back-up fairy killer.

~~ SECOND OPTION: ~~
Thanks to xzern for recommending this:

~Tangrowth > Amoonguss. It gives you 2 ground resists, to help you deal with Landorus-T better, while keeping the ability to retain the redirection role that Amoonguss fulfills.

MANDATORY CHANGE:
Another thanks to qwerts for this:

Gengar's Hidden Power [Steel] > Destiny Bond. It gives you a way to hit the quite uncommon Mega Diancie for good while having a way to hit all fairies.

~~ INTERCHANGEABLE ITEM/MOVESLOT CHANGES: ~~

~ Gyarados' Thunder Wave > Icy Wind. If you're afraid of Bisharp, you may replace this to avoid extra Defiant boosts from it. However, you may lose the ability to slow down Landorus-Therian without Icy Wind, but it's still up to you.

~ Heatran's Safety Goggles > Shuca Berry. This gives you a bit easier match-up versus Sun teams, which this team is relatively weak to. Be careful though when playing versus ground types.

IMPORTABLE

Gengar (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Bisharp (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Gyarados (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Icy Wind

Amoonguss (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 232 HP / 96 Def / 180 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Protect

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Majore D' Mawile! This is a cool team you have here, and it's hard for me to find anything wrong with it! However, after looking at the type synergy between your pokemon, I noticed that a really big majority of your team is weak to ground and that you only have one ground immunity. This leaves you a bit weak to scarf Landorus-Therian and Mega Diancie with Earth Power, both of which are very relevant threats.

Tangrowth @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Rage Powder
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

I'm going to go ahead and recommend a very unorthodox set, which is Tangrowth over Amoonguss. I believe that this could alleviate your ground weakness while still getting the wholesome goodness of a bulky grass type. The spread you see here has enough spdef to live a Heatran's Heat Wave (taking into account the spread damage reduction). Tangrowth has some really good physical bulk; it's even able to live a Talonflame's Brave Bird without any defense EVs. Having Tangrowth over Amoonguss leaves your team a bit weaker to fighting, but you'll probably be okay considering that you have one immunity in Gengar and another really good resist with Gyarados. Furthermore, Tangrowth also does really well against one of the most viable fighting types in the tier, Keldeo. That being said, you probably won't have to worry about losing a fighting resist.

In all honesty, if you add tangrowth you have some issues with stoping TR, particularly aromatisse TR (Sleep being not 100% accurate kinda sucks) A really cool way to get rid of a mega diancie weakness is using hidden power steel on mega gengar, which catches them by surprise 99% of the time. Mega gengar can trap and ko it easily and be a great help to your team. Also I'd reccomend using an amoonguss spread that actually accomplishes something. (This one is standard, but i don't know what it does lol)

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

This team seems like it does well enough against lando as long as you play amoong, gyara, and tran correctly. Bisharp is also excellent at stopping it

Other then that, cool team and this is a very well made RMT.

I don't have any recommendations on this team, though it looks pretty solid aside from the ground weakness. I post mainly to tell you the green and light blue text is hard to read and hurts the eyes.

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Majore D' Mawile ,

The user who posted directly before me is correct. The rules in the RMT Resource Thread state:
RMT Resource Thread said:
#5. Use a readable format (PO or PS importable are good) and layout (no annoying fonts, colours etc).
I will not be locking your thread, as it is a pretty minor, quick change. However, please fix this as soon as possible (in your update post as well).

Good luck on your team, and have a nice day!

So, instead of Amoonguss, I'd recommend:

Parasect @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 184 Def / 80 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Seed Bomb
- Protect

The defense EVs allow it to survive Mega Diancie Diamond Storm, Mega Kangaskhan Adamant Double-Edge, Landorus-T Adamant Stone Edge (and Rock Slide is a 3HKO most of the time), and most other physical attacks (obviously not Talonflame's). On the special spectrum, it survives Aegislash Life Orb Shadow Ball+Shadow Sneak, Sylveon Choice Specs Hyper Voice, and even Mega Abomasnow Blizzard 44% of the time (just Abomasnow, if I wasn't clear. The others are 100%).

It mantains the Trick Room countering that Amoonguss had (both reach 58 speed), resists EQ, resists fighting moves, has 100% accurate sleep. It is slightly less bulky, but it does what was needed in your team.

So, instead of Amoonguss, I'd recommend:

Parasect @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 184 Def / 80 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Seed Bomb
- Protect

The defense EVs allow it to survive Mega Diancie Diamond Storm, Mega Kangaskhan Adamant Double-Edge, Landorus-T Adamant Stone Edge (and Rock Slide is a 3HKO most of the time), and most other physical attacks (obviously not Talonflame's). On the special spectrum, it survives Aegislash Life Orb Shadow Ball+Shadow Sneak, Sylveon Choice Specs Hyper Voice, and even Mega Abomasnow Blizzard 44% of the time (just Abomasnow, if I wasn't clear. The others are 100%).

It mantains the Trick Room countering that Amoonguss had (both reach 58 speed), resists EQ, resists fighting moves, has 100% accurate sleep. It is slightly less bulky, but it does what was needed in your team.
The defense EVs allow it to survive Mega Diancie Diamond Storm - Amoonguss does this
Mega Kangaskhan Adamant Double-Edge - Amoonguss does this
Landorus-T Adamant Stone Edge - Amoonguss does this
Aegislash Life Orb Shadow Ball+Shadow Sneak - Amoonguss does this
Mega Abomasnow Blizzard 44% of the time - Doesn't even have a chance to OHKO standard Amoonguss spread
It mantains the Trick Room countering that Amoonguss had (both reach 58 speed) - So why do you need to switch?
resists EQ - Why is this really important for him, Amoonguss takes it well and has protect
resists fighting moves - Amoonguss does this
has 100% accurate sleep - Amoonguss does this
but it does what was needed in your team - That Amoonguss already does

This is the most pointless swap I've ever seen, keep the Amoonguss.

The defense EVs allow it to survive Mega Diancie Diamond Storm - Amoonguss does this
Mega Kangaskhan Adamant Double-Edge - Amoonguss does this
Landorus-T Adamant Stone Edge - Amoonguss does this
Aegislash Life Orb Shadow Ball+Shadow Sneak - Amoonguss does this
Mega Abomasnow Blizzard 44% of the time - Doesn't even have a chance to OHKO standard Amoonguss spread
It mantains the Trick Room countering that Amoonguss had (both reach 58 speed) - So why do you need to switch?
resists EQ - Why is this really important for him, Amoonguss takes it well and has protect
resists fighting moves - Amoonguss does this
has 100% accurate sleep - Amoonguss does this
but it does what was needed in your team - That Amoonguss already does

This is the most pointless swap I've ever seen, keep the Amoonguss.
Yeah, I only mentioned Parasect because it was a way to resist both ground and fighting while keeping those roles. I didn't word my original post out properly, since I meant if those two weaknesses were an issue for him, he could try Parasect. Also, I do get that in most cases Amoonguss is better since it is more bulky, and does the same thing, but I thought it may have had a niche in this team.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you're gonna use Parasect over Amoonguss, at least use Wide Guard somewhere on there (idk, I'd try no Protect), as that's more or less the only reason to use it over Amoonguss. Dry Skin isn't much of an incentive to use it over Amoonguss, as having an immunity to water as a Grass-type is no where near as useful as a consistent source of recovery like Regenerator, and that Ground resist is also pretty redundant since Amoonguss can easily use Giga Drain on Ground-types. Also unlike Amoonguss, Parasect drastically loses any offensive presence it might have due to Intimidate and Burns, so it can't even readily redirect Will-o's without having to prepare for more than just burn chip damage.

Here's what Parasect offers:
  • Wide Guard
  • Slightly stronger matchup vs Rain due to Dry Skin*; zero downside to redirecting Water attacks
  • Semi-useful Ground-resist advantage over Amoonguss, as well as not being weak to Psychic-type attacks
Here's the advantages of Amoonguss:
  • Much bulkier. Parasect has a higher base Def stat (80 vs 70), and they both have an equal SpD stat, but Amoonguss blows it out of the water with a much higher HP (114 vs 60)
  • A Fairy-type resist
  • Consistent source of recovery thanks to Regenerator, letting it run more than just healing items such as Rocky Helmet
  • Not weak versus Rock-, Bug-, and Poison-type attacks, and only a 2x weakness to Flying-type moves let it take some reduced hits such as -1 Talonflame, which Parasect can't
You've got 4 Mons which would love Wide Guard, so if you really think that's worth using Parasect over Amoonguss, than by all means. I wouldn't recommend it at all though.

Your team has 4 ground weaknesses, and only 1 immunity to ground. When that switch-in is gone Landorus-T could very easily just repeatedly click eq for the win, especially if it were to have jirachi/toge @ safety goggles next to it. Landorus-T being one the most common, and most powerful mons in the meta makes this is relatively big issue. I'd recommend replacing Heatran with Rotom-H, even though you'll still be pretty weak to Kyurem-Black which I guess you'll just have to really on Bisharp heavily for, but once again follow-me Jirachi really has potential to fuck you up in that area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)