ORAS Doubles OU Slip N' Slide

slip n' slide
This is my OU rain team called slip n' slide which I have been perfecting for some time now. Please rate it so it can become another step closer to perfection.

Slippy (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 128 SpA / 50 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Encore
- Helping Hand
- Protect
He brings out the rain, but now he's got some new tricks. Poli is Guaranteed to survive any move. Also with scald he can get some surprise OHKOs. He has just enough Spa to kill a landurous-t. He can also kill heatran and mega charazard Y. Helping hand can be useful in various ways but I use it the most to help swamp OHKO a kangastan. Encore can end belly drum users like azumarill or end any pokemon's ability to protect. Also making agile slash spam wide guard when it isn't useful anymore is very helpful.

My Swamp (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Protect
Swampert is the main rain sweeper of this team. Now I must say Swampert dies to any grass move and I mean any grass move from any Pokemon... I love using Swampert because he is so good against most teams, take note of most. But when he is basically useless the rest of the team can work wonders even without him. Swampert with this spread will take any hit rant isn't grass, and I mean any hit, said it again... Waterfall, Ice punch, and earthquake is easily the best move set for Swampert hits practically
everything.

Icurus (Togekiss) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect
Togekiss is the first of the two flying types that won't take earthquake, which is necessary. Serene grace is just the best ability ever. 60% flinch chance is amazing. I would equip toge with thunder wave, but I just don't have the slots. Toge is a nice bulky set up for tail wind and will last the game. Another great thing about toge is the fact that air slash is a special move. This means no more amoongus's living with 1% on talon flames, investing in defense because this is special. Follow me is super useful, as toge can take hits, this can also negate grass types ending Swampert.

Terrafying (Terrakion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Substitute
This is the spot that I have been constantly debating over. I've gone from escaliveir, to crogunk, to bisharp, and I even tried cobalion, but terrakion is the best. Though I just brown the rule of thumb for rain teams, which is to have a steel type, it just wasn't working. Justified isn't the best ability, because terrakion won't be taking too many hits, it can work on hydragon or bisharp, though not recommended. My favorite part about him is helping against sun weather wars. With rock slide I don't have to worry about protecting charazards as I hit the Pokemon besides it. Close combat is great for sniping and helping with this teams previous biggest threat. Mega kang. Not many of my Pokemon could really deal with him too welly without support, but terra can do it all by himself. Kanga can't even try to hurt terrakion and Terra just OHKO's back. Substitute really helps because terrakion is slightly frail and helps him sweep so he can take one hit. I have thought of using quick guard on him, but I just prefer sub if you know why I should use quick over sub please tell me.

Lakitu (Thundurus) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 164 Def / 24 SpA / 76 SpD
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Rain Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
Thunderous who is my second flying type for earthquake is so helpful. Also RAIN DANCE ON THUNDY IS AMAZING. No one expects it and when I feel like winning an easy weather war I just lead with him. Next is thunder many people say thunderbolt, but since THUNDY doesn't do much damage in the first place and supplies his own rain, thunder is a better option over thunderbolt. Thunder wave is so useful for late game, doesn't that sound strange. I've had some occasions where t-waving everyone Pokemon allowed me to do a late game sweep with toge kiss, which is just plan awesome. Taunt this is my easiest way to counter trick room or stop status users or belly drummers. Whenever I see a trick room team, or sun Thundy is the best answer to lead with.

Señor Jazz Hands (Ludicolo) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
Ludicolo. I wish ludicolo was just stronger at times. No one ever doubts ludicolo, but when I use him as much as I do he isn't as great as everyone makes him out to be. Yes he is defiantly one of the best swift swim users and the best over all for this team, I just wish he hit harder. Other than that ludicolo's move typing and move pool really helps him be a good switch for Swampert when he can't sweep. Usually if there is a grass type I switch into ludi if there is an electric I switch into swamp. Which is why I love them so much. They are perfect switches for each other and they both swift swim. And with slightly different moves and typing really makes the two stand out as different Pokemon. Other than that ludicolo can take lots and lots of hits with his assualt vest.

Thanks for reading this! I have no idea if I typed enough, as I am on mobile, so please tell me
If I have enough information.

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you're having issues with Ludicolos power you could probably just use a Life Orb instead of an Assault Vest and Hydro Pump instead of Scald. Admittedly, those are minor changes, but both provide significantly more power.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Also, I think running Encore instead of Protect on Togekiss could also open some options up for your team, especially with Tailwind and Fake Out already being on it. Being able to disrupt opposing Pokemon into non-ideal moves is just a great option to have, and Togekiss is a Pokemon that very easily gets away with not using Protect.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hi Vert84! Solid team you have here.

Shaian's suggestion for Life Orb on Ludicolo is definitely a good one, but when I run Life Orb I find that Protect is really nice since most people expect Ludicolo to not run it. I usually give up the Ice Beam slot since it isn't STAB, and you have other Ice moves anyway. If you want to keep the same amount of Ice coverage, you could drop Encore on Politoed (since you already have it on Togekiss from Shaian's suggestion) and give it either Icy Wind for more speed control and spread damage or just give it Ice Beam.

That was a little bit roundabout, so here's a list of the changes I was talking about:
  • Shaian's Life Orb set > current one, but with Protect > Ice Beam
  • Icy Wind or Ice Beam > Encore on Politoed
  • Encore > Protect on Togekiss
One other option if you decide to go for Icy Wind on Politoed could be to drop Tailwind on Togekiss for Roost, which would keep it around longer. With Thunder Wave, Icy Wind, and rain boosting two of your team members' speed, Tailwind probably won't matter often anyway.

Good luck with the team, and I hope I helped!

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i dont like any of talkingtree's suggestions tbh....

once youve shown both FO and protect then playing around ludi is way the fuck easier with dragon-types which most teams have so if you're going to run protect (not in itself a bad idea) you should run it over Fake Out, cuz ludi needs all three of its attack moves. im not sure whether id keep fake out or switch to protect because i think they both have their merits in the kangaskhan matchup (protect is especially good vs turn 1 kanga) but whichever one helps u fight kanga is the one you should use.

politoed's ice beam is embarrassing and u really just shouldnt use it lol. icy wind is an option but when your team is so mindfuckingly fast (two swift swims, tailwind, thunder wave and two pokes above base 100) its the opposite of necessary. keep encore because otherwise you're pretty rough vs cube (ur cube matchup still isnt good but at least it needs pressure to get subs on politoed)

here are the main things im worried about when it comes to your team:

-ferrothorn (terrak only solid answer)
-mega venu (no solid answer)
-abomasnow TR (if it gets TR up thats just game over)
-sun (zard itself doesn't justwin but this is just an extension of your venu weakness, only solid check is thund)

heres some possible changes:

-taunt > sub on rak; swagger > taunt on thund
this makes you stronger vs TR while hurting your matchup vs some more kangaskhany offense, but most of the things terrak would get to use its sub against are things that are forced out by your two swift swimmers anyways so not a huge deal
another possible option would be to keep sub on rak and replace twave with swagger instead if u really find urself using sub a lot but i doubt u do and that makes u even more venusaur weak
-superpower > ice punch on pert
50% to ohko kang will help with that matchup, and eq -> superpower being a ko on ferrothorn should help there too. it also gives you something to do vs abomasnow though you're still pretty fucked if it gets up TR
-roost > tailwind on togekiss
literally the only things on ur team that benefit from tailwind are terrakion and togekiss itself, and 80% of the time just the latter. losing the ability to flinch fast things will hurt your ability to pivot around with this team but you still have follow me. meanwhile adding roost will allow you to use togekiss defensively more (particularly for stalling out TR, or for teams w/ mega venu) which is something you honestly desperately need. worth considering goggles as well, though it will make ur kang matchup a bit rougher.
-shaian's ludicolo changes

i'm not convinced this team is fixable without changing a poke but now nobody can say i didn't try.

i dont like any of talkingtree's suggestions tbh....

once youve shown both FO and protect then playing around ludi is way the fuck easier with dragon-types which most teams have so if you're going to run protect (not in itself a bad idea) you should run it over Fake Out, cuz ludi needs all three of its attack moves. im not sure whether id keep fake out or switch to protect because i think they both have their merits in the kangaskhan matchup (protect is especially good vs turn 1 kanga) but whichever one helps u fight kanga is the one you should use.

politoed's ice beam is embarrassing and u really just shouldnt use it lol. icy wind is an option but when your team is so mindfuckingly fast (two swift swims, tailwind, thunder wave and two pokes above base 100) its the opposite of necessary. keep encore because otherwise you're pretty rough vs cube (ur cube matchup still isnt good but at least it needs pressure to get subs on politoed)

here are the main things im worried about when it comes to your team:

-ferrothorn (terrak only solid answer)
-mega venu (no solid answer)
-abomasnow TR (if it gets TR up thats just game over)
-sun (zard itself doesn't justwin but this is just an extension of your venu weakness, only solid check is thund)

heres some possible changes:

-taunt > sub on rak; swagger > taunt on thund
this makes you stronger vs TR while hurting your matchup vs some more kangaskhany offense, but most of the things terrak would get to use its sub against are things that are forced out by your two swift swimmers anyways so not a huge deal
another possible option would be to keep sub on rak and replace twave with swagger instead if u really find urself using sub a lot but i doubt u do and that makes u even more venusaur weak
-superpower > ice punch on pert
50% to ohko kang will help with that matchup, and eq -> superpower being a ko on ferrothorn should help there too. it also gives you something to do vs abomasnow though you're still pretty fucked if it gets up TR
-roost > tailwind on togekiss
literally the only things on ur team that benefit from tailwind are terrakion and togekiss itself, and 80% of the time just the latter. losing the ability to flinch fast things will hurt your ability to pivot around with this team but you still have follow me. meanwhile adding roost will allow you to use togekiss defensively more (particularly for stalling out TR, or for teams w/ mega venu) which is something you honestly desperately need. worth considering goggles as well, though it will make ur kang matchup a bit rougher.
-shaian's ludicolo changes

i'm not convinced this team is fixable without changing a poke but now nobody can say i didn't try.
First is thank you for you're suggestions. As I see at the end you say that I need Pokemon changes to make it better, what would you suggest changes?

If you're having issues with Ludicolos power you could probably just use a Life Orb instead of an Assault Vest and Hydro Pump instead of Scald. Admittedly, those are minor changes, but both provide significantly more power.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Fake Out
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain

Also, I think running Encore instead of Protect on Togekiss could also open some options up for your team, especially with Tailwind and Fake Out already being on it. Being able to disrupt opposing Pokemon into non-ideal moves is just a great option to have, and Togekiss is a Pokemon that very easily gets away with not using Protect.
Thank you for these suggestions.

Hi Vert84! Solid team you have here.

Shaian's suggestion for Life Orb on Ludicolo is definitely a good one, but when I run Life Orb I find that Protect is really nice since most people expect Ludicolo to not run it. I usually give up the Ice Beam slot since it isn't STAB, and you have other Ice moves anyway. If you want to keep the same amount of Ice coverage, you could drop Encore on Politoed (since you already have it on Togekiss from Shaian's suggestion) and give it either Icy Wind for more speed control and spread damage or just give it Ice Beam.

That was a little bit roundabout, so here's a list of the changes I was talking about:
  • Shaian's Life Orb set > current one, but with Protect > Ice Beam
  • Icy Wind or Ice Beam > Encore on Politoed
  • Encore > Protect on Togekiss
One other option if you decide to go for Icy Wind on Politoed could be to drop Tailwind on Togekiss for Roost, which would keep it around longer. With Thunder Wave, Icy Wind, and rain boosting two of your team members' speed, Tailwind probably won't matter often anyway.

Good luck with the team, and I hope I helped!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)