Stoutland

Stoutland might look like a tame little mutt, being one of the first Pokemon a Trainer catches, but when you look at its two great abilities, Sand Rush and Intimidate, its decent bulk and great 100 base Attack, it suddenly becomes viable. Although Stoutland won't be leaping through flaming hoops in regards to performance, it can fulfill a few niches that your team might need.

Single Sets

Sand Rush

@ Choice Band/Life Orb
Adamant Nature
Sand Rush
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Return
Crunch
Wild Bolt
Fire Fang/Reversal/Thunder Wave

• May appear to be outclassed by Excadrill, but it can take out Water-types more easily and provide team support with Wild Bolt and Thunder Wave
  • Choice Band is a good item to make Stoutland a lot more powerful off the bat, but be careful about locking yourself into Return and Wild Bolt with Ghost and Ground-types around
  • Life Orb offers versatility, and works better with Thunder Wave, Paralyzing problematic Chlorophyll/Swift Swim Pokemon to make Sun and Rain teams easier to deal with

Double Sets

Intimidating support

@ Sitrus Berry/Leftovers
Adamant/Impish Nature
Intimidate
252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def

Return
Crunch
Protect
Helping Hand/Thunder Wave/Yawn

• The EVs given net Stoutland respectable defenses of 192 HP, 111 Def, and 110 SpD. It also makes Stoutland's HP divisible by four, which yields extra Sitrus/Leftovers recovery. The Attack EVs allow Stoutland to deal good chunks of damage to the opponent, but they can be shifted into defenses
  • Crunch and Return are good attacking moves, but you're walled by Steel-types. This is remedied by putting Fire and Fighting types on your team, both of which enjoy Intimidate support due to their common physical weaknesses
  • Helping Hand works well with Pokemon with spread and priority moves, just be wary of Quick and Wide Guard
  • Thunder Wave and Yawn inflict status. Yawn can be useful, as it can force switches, allowing you to gang up on the incoming Pokemon or if it's 2 on 2, you can double protect to stall the Pokemon's turn. Thunder Wave allows middle-of-the-road Pokemon like Hydreigon and Rotom-A to outspeed a Pokemon that would otherwise be faster
sand rush doubs set comin sooooooooooooooooooon

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chople Berry is an excellent item for Stoutland, allowing it to take any Fighting-type attack and TWave/Return/Yawn/whatever in return. I think it should be mentioned.

i think you know my thoughts on the subject in VGC, but in GBU it's useful

i'll put that in when i edit in the doubs sand rush

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)