Sunshine, Lollipops and FIRE

Most of us pick Kyogre over Groudon for his special bulk, Drizzle ability to enhance the usability of Thunder for the entire team and - best of all - a 225 base power attack in Water Spout (factoring in STAB) to destroy entire teams with, really early on. So, I very quickly designed a team using Groudon, especially with a new ally in Reshiram to help it along. I'm sure someone else will design a better team, if they haven't already. But I want something to talk about.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Adamant: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Fire Punch
You can't have a Groudon-based team without Groudon. It's just impossible. Groudon makes a great bulky lead, acting kinda like Hippowdon back in OU: survive a hit, set up Stealth Rock, start attacking. Groudon's Drought sets the stage for the rest of the team, and after Stealth Rock, the rest of the moves are pretty straightforward. Earthquake is his main move, getting STAB on top of a no-recoil 100 base power, 100 accuracy. Fire Punch, in sunlight, gets 112.5 base power, making it dangerous to fire-weak pokemon. Finally, Stone Edge is for coverage, allowing Groudon to hit Flying-types extra hard. Altogether, only Flygon can resist this entire move set, and most common leads are beaten. Max speed allows Groudon to at least speed tie with other pokemon, such as Kyogre, Dialga, and a large group of other pokemon possessing middling speed.

Reshiram @ Life Orb
Naive: 4 Atk/252 Sp At/252 Spd OR 252 Atk/252 Sp At/4 Spd
-Nitro Charge
-Blue Flame
-Dragon Pulse
-Dragon Claw
Groudon teams have a new force to be reckoned with: Reshiram. Armed with Nitro Charge, insanely powerful moves and an ability that lets it hit every pokemon for at least neutral damage with just its dual STAB, Reshiram cannot be stopped easily. Blue Flame is of course Reshiram's main move, possessing the ability to shunt any non-resisting pokemon for an insane 287.5 base power, plus a 1 in 5 chance to burn. Thanks to its unique ability, Turbo Blaze, it can hit even Heatran using it. Nitro Charge might seem a bit pathetic, but after one use, with max speed, it reaches 418 speed, which is awesome to sweep with. Even without any investment in speed, it can reach 324 speed, which allows it to beat a number of uber threats. The EVs are not decided easily. Max out attack to 2HKO Kyogre after Stealth Rock damage using Dragon Claw, as well as hurt Blissey somewhat. However, max out speed and you have a better chance of outspeeding things after a Nitro Charge. Groudon teams needed this ever since Groudon was invented.

Arceus @ Meadow Plate
Mild: 44 Att/252 Sp At/212 Spd
-Solar Beam/Judgment
-Fire Blast
-Psycho Shock
-Extreme Speed
Arceus is (according to some) the greatest pokemon ever: and now its got a ton of tools from generation 5. Solar Beam and Judgment are both reliable STAB, yet it's difficult to choose between the power of Solar Beam or the dependability (remember, Kyogre and TTar are both popular in Ubers) of Grass Judgment. Fire Blast works well with Groudon, so it's very useful. Psycho Shock is very useful in hitting Blissey, Kyogre and other specially defensive pokemon, and Extreme Speed is really just for hurting Scarfed pokemon before they revenge kill me. The EVs are pretty simple: max Sp At, enough speed to beat max speed Palkia, and the rest into Atk.

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Timid: 252 Sp At/252 Spd/4 HP
-Calm Mind
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Aura Sphere
This is somewhere along the lines of a SubCM Mewtwo. This is the team's check to Heatran and other Special Attackers not named Kyogre. Blissey is easily handled by the multiple Physical Attackers in the team. Substitute and Leftovers provide plenty of durability. If you think I should go more offensive, tell me.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold: 252 HP/252 Def/252 Sp Df
-Wish
-Aromatherapy
-Softboiled
-Seismic Toss
I changed Umbreon for Blissey due to Blissey's enormous sp defence. It'll hopefully work a treat, but if anyone thinks otherwise please tell me.

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Timid: 4 HP/252 Sp At/252 Spd
-Spacial Rend
-Fire Blast
-Thunder
-Earth Power
Few people are expecting Palkia on a Groudon team: but why ever not? Palkia's extensive movepool makes it an awesome sweeper, plus a counter to some of the team's biggest threat: Kyogre. Thunder makes mincemeat of Kyogre. Palkia proves helpful outside of rain too, its Spacial Rend and Fire Blast resisted only by Heatran - who is obliterated by Earth Power. I've put Choice Scarf over Life Orb now to handle Scarfed threats better, as well as beat non-Scarfed Darkrais and Mewtwos.

As usual, any thoughts are appreciated, and thanks for living through my humongous article.

Still no replies? At all?! Someone's gotta have some kind of a suggestion, I mean, it's not as if it's perfect or anything.

Ok, first of all Umbreon is near useless in ubers with that entire set being run much better by Blissey/Chansey, who also provide the team with Wish support, in most cases fully healing them. You also dont have a Choice scarfer which is necessary on just about every team, especially since nothing on your team outspeeds Mewtwo or Darkrai. Either scarf Reshiram or (preferably) Palkia, as these will allow you to revenge speedy threats that would rip your team apart otherwise. On a Choice Scarf set Draco Meteor outclasses Spacial Rend, since it gives the power to KO both Mewtwo and Darkrai. You might also want Outrage on Palkia to avoid being ripped to shreds by CMing Lati@s, even if this is a wifi team, they are still dangerous after a few CMs. Solarbeam is an awful move especially on something which needs to hurt Kyogre, I know you have Judgment slashed in but I would just remove solarbeam completely. Non-STAB Extremespeed with 44 att EVs also seems like a bit of a waste, I would just slash in recover instead allowing it to take repeated hits from Kyogre, and maybe add some EVs into HP to give some extra bulk. I'm not sure Victini is the best choice for the team either, since it really isnt that hard hitting and Psycho Shock will not beat Chansey very easily without boosts. I would suggest that you replace it for Mewtwo who can run a set of:

Mewtwo@Life Orb
4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Calm Mind
-Psycho Break
-Aura Sphere.

This offers your team significantly more speed and power than Victini does whilst having the advantage of being able to get past Heatran more easily and not being SR weak. I hope some of these changes can help your team.

I always had my doubts about Victini, I just wanted to see if it were any good. Yes, Blissey would certainly do Umbreon's job better, but I use Umbreon for better defence. I suppose you're right, and I will try all suggestions you have given me.

You should switch Shiftry with Blissey because there arent much bulky Pokemon in sun teams or switch with Grass arceus because Shiftry, after one turn of setup, can sweep much more easier than Arceus, and has a better STAB coverage due to the secondary Dark typing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)