Announcement SV National Dex Suspect 11: Mask

I apologize for posting this so late, I will be voting to keep Ogerpon-Wellspring.

I'm going to try to not only summarize all the relevant arguments I've seen made so far as well as provide new insight which hasn't already been stated thousands of times before.

(Also before I get started I left out many things like what will drop and raise as well as checks & counters to this Pokémon because there's already a thread doing that so thank you to you.)

SUMMARIZATIONS:
IN FAVOR OF BAN:
(Here I will address most of the big arguments made in either direction and give my input if needed.)

Firstly I'm going to address the arguments made in favor of BANNING Waterpon, probably the most common of which being its coverage options. Many people argue that with moves such as encore, Superpower and play rough Pon has a reliable way to mitigate its checks, and although this is true to some extent Ogerpon uses Superpower a majority of time due to its offensive versatility, this is not to count out other moves like play rough but if Play Rough is granted by a potential option and something to be considered, it's only reasonable to grant that Mega-Venusaur, Sinistcha, and Scarf Kyurem are also valid and considerable checks to Ogerpon, as they all have usage comparable or better to that of Play Rough Pon, additionally, Play Rough is an unreliable check its dragon type checks, as at +2 its incapable of OHKOing Dragonite, not to mention the other threats you're leaving yourself open to by running play rough such as Ferrothorn and Kartana.

Another point brought up when people speak about banning Ogerpon is its MU Against team structures like fat balance or rain, and while I agree that it has an incredible matchup going into rain, rain has adapted to account for Pon's dominance with remedys like Pjab Pert & Barraskewda, also having soft checks in Tera Fairy Archaludon and Ferrothorn depending on the Ogerpon Set. Fat balance struggles against Ogerpon as well but at this point this structure as well has adapted to Ogerpon, with common cores like Dnite/MLati+Ferro. I think this is the best current argument in favor of banning Ogerpon, because although the teams struggling against Waterpon are beginning to adapt, there can be an argument made as to whether or not it's healthy for them to have to. I believe that as a top threat in the meta its natural for this to be the case and it doesn't warrant a ban off this alone.

The final argument I'll be addressing is more of a point brought up to further bolster the more pressing points and push it over the edge in people's minds. It is commonly stated that Ogerpons solid stats allow it to perform as a revenge killer or wallbreaker to further boost its utility as a progress maker, and while this can be true it is far from reliable at those roles, Ogerpon has decent bulk, speed and good offense, however without any boosts its limited as to what it can reliably revenge kill, as it's unable to OHKO pokemon such as Lele, Koko, Glowking, Iron Valiant and Lopunny without burning its tera, and even after tera it's unable to OHKO Garchomp, Tornadus-T and Zama without any set

AGAINST BAN:
As for arguments against banning Ogerpon it seems they're a lot more generalized and less concise to Ogerpon for some reason, despite there being multiple arguments in favor of keeping Pon that haven't been made. The most common argument I see made by people voting to keep Pon is that its stats are mediocre, I agree with this generally, as it doesn't really specialize in Bulk, Power or Speed, this pokemon serves as more of a generalist with solid or serviceable stats in all areas, however this isn't always a good thing and in this case I think its more of a detriment, usually a sweeper will excel in 2 of these categories (Zama: Speed/Bulk, Raging Bolt: Power/Bulk, Darkrai: Speed/Power) In Ogerpons case its really only above average in terms of power, and even then it's counteracted by its limited coverage and 4ms. Ogerpons speed leaves it open to revenge killers like specs Iron Valiant, Serperior, Weavile, Z-move Tornadus, Koko, Meowscarada, Darkrai, Rillaboom, Raging Bolt, Cinderace, Lopunny, Zamazenta, ect.

A point I don't think it's stated enough is just how hard it can actually be to set up Ogerpon, If Ogerpon doesn't run taunt or encore (the latter only being relevant in niche scenarios against walls, and both leaving you open to just about every dragon or grass mon imaginable) then every relevant pivot or wall in the game has a way to dent Ogerpon and leave it open to being Revenge killed. Here are examples of moves these mons can use:
Alolamola: Toxic
Clodsire: Toxic, Poison Jab
Corviknight: Brave Bird, U-Turn
Ferrothorn: Thunder Wave, Power Whip
Garganacl: Salt Cure
Great Tusk: Body Press
Hatterenne: Psyshock, Nuzzle
Heatran: Toxic, Magma Storm
Iron Crown: Psychic Noise, Volt Switch, Future Sight
Iron Treads: Volt Switch, Steel Beam
Moltres: Wisp, Toxic, Hurricane, U-Turn
Pelipper: U-Turn, Hurricane
Scizor: U-Turn, Close Combat
Glowking: T-Wave, Sludge Bomb, Future Sight
Pex: Poison Jab, Toxic
Zapdos: Volt Switch, U-Turn, Hurricane
Tornadus: Hurricane, U-turn
The only Pokemon that Ogerpon really sets up on for free are thing like choice locked Shifu and Barraskewda, which is a luxury lost upon tera.

In conclusion, I think Ogerpon is a great mon for breaking through fat teams and opening up the rest of your team to start swinging the pendulum, however nothing about it to me seems overwhelming or oppressive. The way it has impacted the meta is noticeable but in my opinion healthy, I don't think it's done anything that a Zamazenta, Gliscor or earlier meta Iron Valiant hasn't. I also don't think it's healthy to look for meta shifts or changes just because people are getting bored, banning Oger would be just as restrictive as keeping it in the meta in my opinion. I'm not too invested in whether or not this mon gets banned, I think its a fun discussion to have and in this case I find it reasonable to keep this Poke in the meta.
(On an extra note, I apologize for not providing any calcs, many of the ones necessary are already posted somewhere in this thread and if you need me to give a specific one ask and show.)

seth

the mint
is a Tiering Contributor
There is so much to unpack in this absolutely incredible post but I would like to focus in on the "Walls With Ways" section. Please explain how any of these actually stop Ogerpon in any way this looks like u drew names out of a hat and called them checks why tf is Heatran being listed in the "Walls" section do u know the type chart? Why is iron treads here What does the resisted steel beam do other than chip yourself as it Sds in front of you? So Many Questions.

clodsire dies to ivy cudgel (do NOT say water absorb that is a giga fraud set and u get 2hkod by power whip regardless)
garganacl also dies to ivy cudgel and power whip
great tusk also dies to ivy cudgel
hatterene isnt a wall
heatran also dies to ivy cudgel
iron crown shouldnt even be switching in on ogerpon since its supposed to beat special attackers like lele or valiant
iron treads isnt a wall its not even on the VR
moltres dies...
pelipper isnt really a wall and rain sucks against ogerpon regardless
close combat scizor (aka offensive) isnt a wall
glowking (like crown) shouldn't be coming in on ogerpon
poison jab pex isnt real i have never seen this

ig they stop ogerpon from coming in as easily but the majority of these are status moves and kinda easy to pivot around, like toxic pex or salt cure garganacl is very predictable so its not that hard to catch them when they use a different move instead (like recover, toxic spikes, stealth rock etc). a lot of these just dont check ogerpon at all (tera doesnt count it just makes everything more unhealthy and 50/50-y) whether it be through type disadvantage or not having the bulk needed. also this isnt in this section but i have never seen scarf kyurem so i'm not sure if thats valid either

about15gals

formerly about15guys
is a Pre-Contributor
I apologize for posting this so late, I will be voting to keep Ogerpon-Wellspring.

I'm going to try to not only summarize all the relevant arguments I've seen made so far as well as provide new insight which hasn't already been stated thousands of times before.

(Also before I get started I left out many things like what will drop and raise as well as checks & counters to this Pokémon because there's already a thread doing that so thank you to you.)

SUMMARIZATIONS:
IN FAVOR OF BAN:

(Here I will address most of the big arguments made in either direction and give my input if needed.)

Firstly I'm going to address the arguments made in favor of BANNING Waterpon, probably the most common of which being its coverage options. Many people argue that with moves such as encore, Superpower and play rough Pon has a reliable way to mitigate its checks, and although this is true to some extent Ogerpon uses Superpower a majority of time due to its offensive versatility, this is not to count out other moves like play rough but if Play Rough is granted by a potential option and something to be considered, it's only reasonable to grant that Mega-Venusaur, Sinistcha, and Scarf Kyurem are also valid and considerable checks to Ogerpon, as they all have usage comparable or better to that of Play Rough Pon, additionally, Play Rough is an unreliable check its dragon type checks, as at +2 its incapable of OHKOing Dragonite, not to mention the other threats you're leaving yourself open to by running play rough such as Ferrothorn and Kartana.

Another point brought up when people speak about banning Ogerpon is its MU Against team structures like fat balance or rain, and while I agree that it has an incredible matchup going into rain, rain has adapted to account for Pon's dominance with remedys like Pjab Pert & Barraskewda, also having soft checks in Tera Fairy Archaludon and Ferrothorn depending on the Ogerpon Set. Fat balance struggles against Ogerpon as well but at this point this structure as well has adapted to Ogerpon, with common cores like Dnite/MLati+Ferro. I think this is the best current argument in favor of banning Ogerpon, because although the teams struggling against Waterpon are beginning to adapt, there can be an argument made as to whether or not it's healthy for them to have to. I believe that as a top threat in the meta its natural for this to be the case and it doesn't warrant a ban off this alone.

The final argument I'll be addressing is more of a point brought up to further bolster the more pressing points and push it over the edge in people's minds. It is commonly stated that Ogerpons solid stats allow it to perform as a revenge killer or wallbreaker to further boost its utility as a progress maker, and while this can be true it is far from reliable at those roles, Ogerpon has decent bulk, speed and good offense, however without any boosts its limited as to what it can reliably revenge kill, as it's unable to OHKO pokemon such as Lele, Koko, Glowking, Iron Valiant and Lopunny without burning its tera, and even after tera it's unable to OHKO Garchomp, Tornadus-T and Zama without any set

AGAINST BAN:
As for arguments against banning Ogerpon it seems they're a lot more generalized and less concise to Ogerpon for some reason, despite there being multiple arguments in favor of keeping Pon that haven't been made. The most common argument I see made by people voting to keep Pon is that its stats are mediocre, I agree with this generally, as it doesn't really specialize in Bulk, Power or Speed, this pokemon serves as more of a generalist with solid or serviceable stats in all areas, however this isn't always a good thing and in this case I think its more of a detriment, usually a sweeper will excel in 2 of these categories (Zama: Speed/Bulk, Raging Bolt: Power/Bulk, Darkrai: Speed/Power) In Ogerpons case its really only above average in terms of power, and even then it's counteracted by its limited coverage and 4ms. Ogerpons speed leaves it open to revenge killers like specs Iron Valiant, Serperior, Weavile, Z-move Tornadus, Koko, Meowscarada, Darkrai, Rillaboom, Raging Bolt, Cinderace, Lopunny, Zamazenta, ect.

A point I don't think it's stated enough is just how hard it can actually be to set up Ogerpon, If Ogerpon doesn't run taunt or encore (the latter only being relevant in niche scenarios against walls, and both leaving you open to just about every dragon or grass mon imaginable) then every relevant pivot or wall in the game has a way to dent Ogerpon and leave it open to being Revenge killed. Here are examples of moves these mons can use:
The only Pokemon that Ogerpon really sets up on for free are thing like choice locked Shifu and Barraskewda, which is a luxury lost upon tera.

In conclusion, I think Ogerpon is a great mon for breaking through fat teams and opening up the rest of your team to start swinging the pendulum, however nothing about it to me seems overwhelming or oppressive. The way it has impacted the meta is noticeable but in my opinion healthy, I don't think it's done anything that a Zamazenta, Gliscor or earlier meta Iron Valiant hasn't. I also don't think it's healthy to look for meta shifts or changes just because people are getting bored, banning Oger would be just as restrictive as keeping it in the meta in my opinion. I'm not too invested in whether or not this mon gets banned, I think its a fun discussion to have and in this case I find it reasonable to keep this Poke in the meta.
(On an extra note, I apologize for not providing any calcs, many of the ones necessary are already posted somewhere in this thread and if you need me to give a specific one ask and show.)
bait used to be believable

Anyways, I'll be voting Ban on Wellspring

Starting out, I was pretty on the fence about what to do with wellspring, but after doing some thinking I just liked it being in the tier less and less. Its 4th move is incredibly polarizing in a match, letting it pick what checks it, to my knowledge there isn't a pokemon that's able to check every possible Wellspring set unless you burn tera, which isn't ideal for numerous reasons. The pokemon that comes closet is Dragonite, but that has its own host of issues and still dies to play rough regardless.

:dragonite: Dies to double play rough on the switch, if multiscale isn't up +2 cudgel does 90% after a tera too
:ferrothorn: Dies to +2 Superpower, can also become setup fodder if its encore and dies to +2 cudgel if you do tera after minimal chip
:corviknight: Needs to tera dragon to even stand a chance, +2 cudgel is always killing after rocks if you're standard, spdef just outright dies
:scizor-mega: Bulky SD once again dies to +2 cudgel after rocks and tera, offensive sets just die full stop
:dondozo: Needs to stunt its damage output by running body press on curse sets to even stand a chance, also weak to encore and takes 70% from power whip so tera's required
:hydrapple: SUPER niche mon, also loses to play rough horribly
:alomomola: Super weak to encore sets, also forced into teraing
:latias-mega: Loses to Play rough, also is forced to play the speed tie game as it can't oneshot wellspring
:zamazenta: Decent offensive check, however it only works once due to the intrepid shield nerf
if I have to write "forced to tera" one more time im gonna lose it
(tl;dr for the spoiler, all of its checks either lose to coverage options or are forced to tera or both)

Wellspring's checks are few and far between, and often carry a steep opportunity cost to them, whether that's being unviable generally, being forced into suboptimal movesets or being forced to tera. I don't think that's its healthy in this metagame and would like to see it gone

If you've got any questions, feel free to respond to me here or ping me on discord and I'll do my best to answer them

the most unserious and fake pushed suspect test since gouging fire lmao, i feel like this suspect test is only because NatDex is stable tier without any actually broken mons so its boring and something must happen, show must go on and waterpoon was selected without even more than 3,50 survey score lol, how the heck is wellspring treatning anybody? this mons literally deal with poon:

- ANY dragon or grass type (if its Encore/Taunt + SD + stab moves)
- toxapex
- ferrothorn (if its SD + Play Rough)
- dnite (if its SD + Super Power)
- unaware mons like clef, dondozo + tera clodsire + tera
- alo + tera
- m venusaur
- grassy glide rila
- amoongus
- corv
- tangrowth
- skarm
- m scizor
- raging bolt
- zamazenta
- common u-turn users like scarf urshifu, mewsca, cinderace etc to revenge kill if not tera yet

so many options for mon which is "suspecting" huh? more to that her only tera is water, cant hold items, damaged by every kind of hazards

i have 5 accunts on +1800/80gxe on NatDex and usually playing high ladder, i will be not show any boring calcs or potential scenarios where poon is sweeping everything because like that you can introduce every OU mon as a threat, based on my experience i never had problems or have been swept by waterpoon, i have never seen too opposite teams abusing poon because is that "broken", but this is only my opinion, to be honest scarf urshifu is giving me more pain in the ass on the NatDex or CB tera normal DNite, poon has many checks which is weird for a mon potentially to being ban, if you cant deal with poon and is so dangerous for your team, probably your team is lack of:

- mons mentioned earlier
- common scarf user
- mon faster than 110 speed
- stop playing stall

i hope i could solve some problems and help dealing with waterpoon for you guys

i will vote to Do Not Ban

about15gals

formerly about15guys
is a Pre-Contributor
the most unserious and fake pushed suspect test since gouging fire lmao, i feel like this suspect test is only because NatDex is stable tier without any actually broken mons so its boring and something must happen, show must go on and waterpoon was selected without even more than 3,50 survey score lol, how the heck is wellspring treatning anybody? this mons literally deal with poon:

- toxapex
- alo + tera
- m venusaur
- grassy glide rila
- amoongus
- corv
- tangrowth
- skarm
- m scizor
- raging bolt
- zamazenta
- common u-turn users like scarf urshifu, mewsca, cinderace etc to revenge kill if not tera yet

so many options for mon which is "suspecting" huh? more to that her only tera is water, cant hold items, damaged by every kind of hazards

i have 5 accunts on +1800/80gxe on NatDex and usually playing high ladder, i will be not show any boring calcs or potential scenarios where poon is sweeping everything because like that you can introduce every OU mon as a threat, based on my experience i never had problems or have been swept by waterpoon, i have never seen too opposite teams abusing poon because is that "broken", but this is only my opinion, to be honest scarf urshifu is giving me more pain in the ass on the NatDex or CB tera normal DNite, poon has many checks which is weird for a mon potentially to being ban, if you cant deal with poon and is so dangerous for your team, probably your team is lack of:

- mons mentioned earlier
- common scarf user
- stop playing stall

I'm curious what you mean by teams having a lack of. Your only defensive option to Wellspring being Tera (unless you delve into some truly awful pokemon), while fine in the short-term can often have lasting consequences in a match, whether by removing your option for it late-game or by compromising your core's resistances. As a general rule of thumb scarf users aren't able to switch into Wellspring, meaning they can only really come in after Wellspring's already taken a KO, which is leaving you on the back foot from a numbers perspective, and also letting Wellspring switch out, able to come in again later. Additionally some scarfers Wellspring can beat 1v1, namely Lele and Urshifu-Rapid, as neither is capable of oneshotting Wellspring, especially in Lele's case if it teras. Most fast pokemon also have the same issues the scarfers do, which is an inability to be safely brought in. Wellspring isn't just a nightmare for stall teams as well, due to just the general nature of how teams work out, balance and offense teams have less pokemon to check Wellspring with, leaving them more open to it, since it often only needs to remove one pokemon to open up a team for its allies.

Your only tera being Tera Water isn't the worst thing ever, especially considering how much it boosts cudgel to obscene levels, let alone getting a free assault vest. I also think there isn't an item that she'd even use over the mask, as getting a 20% damage boost to all your moves is absurd in general. Hazards is also a double-edged sword, as Wellspring is a phenomenal abuser of spikes and rocks to wear down its checks long term, especially since oftentimes the only thing stopping +2 moves from killing is ~10-20% worth of health. Since Wellspring is coming in less than the pokemon that have to check it, it often doesn't matter too much for her.

Last edited:

- toxapex
- alo + tera
- m venusaur
- grassy glide rila
- amoongus
- corv
- tangrowth
- skarm
- m scizor
- raging bolt
- zamazenta

- mons mentioned earlier
- common scarf user
- stop playing stall

I don't really have a horse in this race (leaning more towards ban), but this list is not really true answers to it:
-You specifically mention that it has to be a specific set in order for grass and dragon types to deal with it. They also take big damage from +2 hits, raging bolt is 2hit ko'd by +2 power whip. These are not answers as if waterpon makes any sort of adjustments, they are dead and now your team is down a mon with not much progress to show itself for.
-Pex takes 80% min from +2 power whip. So it is 2hit ko'd by it. It will have to trade big damage for a haze or toxic on waterpon, which means it is not a true answer and if it is chipped at all, then pex is dead.
-The most common set is superpower, which does destroy ferro, as you have stated ferro only answers one set, and even still standard ferro doesn't ohko waterpon. Waterpon can just click ivy cudgel 2 times and ko ferro if its at 75% or lower always. Congrats, you just traded a good defensive mon and still have to revenge kill the waterpon at 40%.
-D-nite is a bad mon, and it has to keep multiscale intact always and tera in order to revenge kill waterpon. So it can't switch into waterpon as +2 ivy cudgel does 59% minimum, so not an answer.
-Unaware clefable takes 40% min from ivy cudgel, so it has to be in pristine shape to not get 2hit ko'd. Clod can't even deal with waterpon even if it teras, as resisted power whip does 36% minimum. Dondozo is a good tera answer, but relying on tera is not a sign of a healthy mon.
-Same as above, relying on tera isn't healthy.
-M-Venusaur is definetely one of the better answer but if m-venu is chipped even by 10%, +2 ivy cudgel has a good chance to 2hit ko.
-Grassy glide doesn't even ohko waterpon with band, and +2 power whip has a good chance to ohko rilla cause of the terrain it sets.
-Probs best answer so far, so I'll give you this one.
-Takes 68% minimum from +2 ivy cudgel. So it has to be careful of its health and if waterpon has encore then it is screwed.
-Another good answer, so you have identified 3 answers so far.
-Same thing as corv, takes a buttload from +2 ivy cudgel and has to be wary of encore waterpon.
-M-Scizor takes 67% from +2 ivy cudgel, so it can't switch in on it and has to be careful about its health. Most common set can't do a damn thing to it, so its just bait, knock+bullet punch does 20% max and cc does 50%.
-Screwed over by play rough variants and can't ko it with thunderclap. As stated before, +2 power whip 2hit ko's it.
-Takes a butt ton from +2 power whip (67% from power whip min). Is a good offensive answer, but can't switch in to it.
- All scarfers can't switch in to waterpon, and you even admitted that this is if waterpon doesn't tera, which is extremely specific. (Cinderace is at 98 usage and meow is at 80 usage, so not common btw)

So to recap, the answers we have are:
Mega Venusaur
Amoonguss
Tangrowth
Potentially Ferrothorn, Unaware Users and Scarfers under specific scenarios
That is 3 great answers to it and some niche others. That sounds like broken to me.

I also find the last part especially funny. Scarf users can offensively check it, but none can defensively check it, which is the issue because unlike other mons which you can't defensively check, waterpon has a great speed stat. There is also only 8 OU ranked mons that are faster than waterpon. Also, every main playstyle should be playable. If waterpon is making stall solely unviable while threatening other playstyles, then that is broken. It seems like you play HO a lot I'm assuming due to you mentioning scarf urshifu and CB Dragonite destroying your teams, and waterpon does not struggle there. However, against any other playstyle that wants a defensive backbone, waterpon is a menace.

Last edited:
Now that I'm finally done laddering (hate leech seed and toxic now, 90% accurate is a lie), I'm comfortable in saying that I'll be voting to ban Wellspring. I've been pretty vocal about my thoughts on this mon, talking about its strength as a breaker and its general place in the tier as a top threat. It's one of the best progress forcers in the tier, and the combination of SD+stabs alone makes it very challenging for bulkier structures to handle without specific pokemon. The threat of base Wellspring is strong enough, but you really have to plan for the threat of Tera Water which can roll teams without those specific pokemon. The main idea in checking it is relying on a bulky grass or dragon+faster threat like Zamazenta to contain it alongside hazards. This seems fine at a glance, until you actually look at the list of available options. Speaking of which let's look at a list someone threw together and talk about the issues.

- toxapex
- alo + tera
- m venusaur
- grassy glide rila
- amoongus
- corv
- tangrowth
- skarm
- m scizor
- raging bolt
- zamazenta
Many bulky teams will rely on a bulky dragon/grass+fast bulky check from this list (Zam in many cases) which they hope to use to contain it along with hazards. The issue arises is that these structures have to all worry about the 4th move Wellspring chooses. Because of the power of SD+Stabs alone, Wellspring has a very free 4th slot which makes it difficult to consistently answer. What may work for one set can just fold into another, and this makes many of these checks feel circumstantial and dependant on what the opponent brings on their Wellspring rather than what you brought. It's not a pokemon that's easy to scout for at all either, as there really is little to no warning about what it's 4th moveslot is and so there's often a big question mark until its revealed, exerting pressure and forcing very careful and sometimes risky play to dance around it. So it's not uncommon to see emergency Tera Dragon on mons which while it works, opens up vulnerabilities to mons you should normally have covered (Tera Dragon Skarm and Corv for example) thus forcing you to cover them elsewhere.

Touching on the actual for a bit, Amoonguss and Tangrowth are generally poor pokemon while MVenu is a smidge better, it's still difficult to build with. Dragons fear Play Rough variants, and the best grass type Ferrothorn fears Superpower and doesn't love Encore variants either (oh and Rilla is mediocre and has a roll to die to +2 Power Whip, guaranteed with rocks, and doesn't KO back without Tera Grass and Band). Of the Dragons, Kyurem also hates Superpower, the Lati twins speed tie which makes them much shakier than they should be (Latias has to run TWave or else it flat out doesn't check Wellspring at all, and Latios needs Draco to ensure it threatens Wellspring sufficiently especially through Tera). Raging Bolt is one of the better checks but has no longevity and is rather easy to overwhelm (plus if it falls below 75% it drops to +2 Superpower while failing to threaten with TClap back unless Wellspring is heavily chipped). Dragonite still fears PR but is the best of the dragon checks, and it's not an easy mon to fit on bulkier teams due to the issues it has. MSciz is not a check unless bulky and that still drops to +2 Cudgel with rocks up). Relevant faster threats such as Darkrai, Zama, Koko, Valiant and Mega Lopunny exist, but none of them barring Zama switch into it and Zama can only do it a couple times, fewer if Ivy Cudgel scores its infamous high rate crit hits. Only relevant good scarfers are Lele and Urshifu, latter of which is flimsy into Waterpon anyways and Lele can't beat Tera Ogerpon.

Briefly I wanna touch on an aspect of Wellspring which makes it even worse to handle which is the threat of many short term checks getting invalidated through Ivy Cudgel crits which I think is dumb on top of everything else. So even something like Zama can stop working as a shortterm check if it gets crit through the initial defense boost from Dauntless Shield.

This was a bit wordier than I planned initially but hopefully I remembered everything I wanted to say. I feel that Wellspring places too much pressure and too big a burden on teambuilding which isn't desirable for the tier and so I'll be voting to ban it.

imho ogerpon-wellspring, despite strong, is quite predictable. It has 3 necessary moves, no scarf/other surprise items to abuse, and to be honest the last coverage move is going to be either taunt/encore for status/wallbreaking, play rough, or superpower. Despite its power it really doesn't get to set up that freely, its more like a Volcarona type pokemon that's threatening after set up but most of the time it doesn't quite get the chance to. The best set up chances I've seen are usually after some dragon drops a draco and is at -2, or abusing choice locked rain sweepers. But even then, the setup doesn't boost speed, so despite its power it really is just a medium speed mon that gets revenge killed by many faster pokemons in the game. I think the only reason it is being discussed is because water type had been a very defensive type in general and people just couldn't be bothered to think of dealing with water type attackers.

Speaking of water type attackers, I want to side track a bit and talk about Urshifu-RS. Imo it can hold scarf, can use u-turn, and can also set up if it wants to. It is so much better than waterpon in most regards, only lacking against a few walls like Toxapex, Toxapex and Toxapex. I don't know why this isn't suspect tested before waterpon.

Anyways, I think waterpon is at best going to trade over 1 pokemon on the other side after careful setup, it has no ability to sweep against proper teams, lacks immediate power, is predictable, and requires team support or careful plays around threats to truly setup. Still not a bad mon, but definitely not game breaking

Despite its power it really doesn't get to set up that freely, its more like a Volcarona type pokemon that's threatening after set up but most of the time it doesn't quite get the chance to. The best set up chances I've seen are usually after some dragon drops a draco and is at -2, or abusing choice locked rain sweepers.
I wasn't planning on posting more in the thread but I wanted to touch on this a bit. Wellspring's major set up opportunities come from the way it abuses pokemon such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, Heatran, Garganacl, Volcarona, Urshifu-R (especially choice locked), Mega Tyranitar, Alomomola. Rotom-W and Samurott-H are also targets for set up. But even past that, Wellspring doesn't have to instantly set up to break down teams as its natural strength is still high and it generates progress incredibly well.

I think the only reason it is being discussed is because water type had been a very defensive type in general and people just couldn't be bothered to think of dealing with water type attackers.
It's being discussed because it's a polarizing presence that places notable restrictions on teambuilding, especially for defensive teams. Yes it has offensive counterplay, but just about none of that counterplay can come in directly and thus forcing one to rely on revenge killing.

Speaking of water type attackers, I want to side track a bit and talk about Urshifu-RS. Imo it can hold scarf, can use u-turn, and can also set up if it wants to. It is so much better than waterpon in most regards, only lacking against a few walls like Toxapex, Toxapex and Toxapex. I don't know why this isn't suspect tested before waterpon.
Urshifu is not "so much better" than Waterpon. It's very good, but scarf sets are hugely vulnerable to contact punishing effects (helmet is a common and good item that punishes it hard), even being prediction reliant. Bulkier teams have options to contain it beyond Toxapex, as Rotom-W, Alomomola, Slowbro, phys defensive Galar Slowking, both Mega Latis. And revenge killing it is more reasonable as even something like offensive Zapdos can do so pretty easily. There's also stuff like Kartana and scarf Lele.

Anyways, I think waterpon is at best going to trade over 1 pokemon on the other side after careful setup, it has no ability to sweep against proper teams, lacks immediate power, is predictable, and requires team support or careful plays around threats to truly setup. Still not a bad mon, but definitely not game breaking
Lastly, no offense and hopefully this doesn't come across as mean, but this is just wrong. Wellspring does not remotely lack immediate power. It has high immediate strength even unboosted and a stab combo that is more limiting to answer than Urshifu's. Many teams go out of their way to make sure it can't full sweep, but this is where the restrictiveness comes in and why it's such a problem. It's far from predictable as whatever 4th move it has is not easily readable from team preview which makes it much harder to pivot around safely until it's revealed. Lastly, most every threat requires team support to a degree. Baxcalibur was super broken but still required team support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)