Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I disagree; in all honesty, I don't think Gambit is even the best Dark-type in OU right now (:roaring moon: pls leave me alone with your Taunt shenanigans). Kingambit has clear counterplay, an exploitable defensive profile along with ways to take advantage of its overreliance on Sucker Punch and Swords Dance. It's slow and powerful with great STAB priority, but not anywhere near broken. I could see arguments for Kingambit being overwhelming in DLC1 where counterplay was much more limited, but in DLC2 the options to handle Kingambit are aplenty and the meta is nowhere near as kind to it now as it was back in DLC1.
I think this overlooks a lot of the factors that make Gambit problematic in the tier.
  1. It restricts teambuilding, as every team requires a Gambit check otherwise you'll find yourself getting reverse swept at the very end, which is very frustrating. Isn't it interesting that the #2 highest usage mon is one of the best Gambit checks in the tier? I don't think that's a coincidence, tho it's still a great mon that would get high usage regardless. But personally, that's the main reason I put Tusk on almost every team, cause it's one of the best counters to Gambit.
  2. Teambuilding is already incredibly difficult with all the huge threats to account for in the tier, and Gambit just makes the situation worse, as you always have to be prepared for it (bc of it's high usage). Due to the abundance of threats requiring specific checks, every mon on your team needs to be able to check multiple different threats at once and serve different roles (Tusk needs to provide hazard control + offensive pressure + electric immunity + prevent Gambit end-game sweep).
  3. Supreme Overlord uniquely causes a problem here, bc it's an end game ability by design. So if my check to Gambit is Tusk, then I have to preserve my Tusk and keep it healthy for the end game at all costs. That's a pretty huge cost, bc as I said, every mon needs to serve multiple roles. Suddenly my Tusk can't serve it's other roles like hazard removal, bc it's too big of a risk. Then you'll realize that you actually need multiple counters to Gambit, so you can afford to lose one of them without losing the game, and that restricts the teambuilder even further. Not to mention your "checks" aren't even reliable checks due to Tera.
Now you might say these arguments could equally apply to other mons as well, like Volcarona. But I think the main difference and what really pushes it over the edge for me, is that you add two guessing games on-top of all these issues (Tera & Sucker).

Is it Tera Flying Gambit? Well then if I Headlong or Close Combat, I'm screwed as they SD and sweep. Now Ice Spinner is required on my Tusk and my move slots are filled, so I've lost Knock Off to check Ghold and Dragapult. Okay I guess I can live with that, I'll click Ice Spinner. Ah shit, turns out they're Tera Fire or Tera Dark and now they sweep me. Or they don't even Tera that turn, they Tera the next turn, predicting me to go for Ice Spinner (and you'd have to be gigachad to click Ice Spinner again after that lol).

If that wasn't bad enough, you still have to play the Sucker Punch guessing game too, which is heavily in their favor and takes the control out of your hands. The counterplay = "hope I guess right". You play super well all game just to lose cause you made one wrong guess at the very end. That's really lame imo.
Kingambit has clear counterplay, an exploitable defensive profile along with ways to take advantage of its overreliance on Sucker Punch and Swords Dance.
I totally agree that there's counterplay. But then you have to ask yourself, if it's so slow and exploitable, then why is it #1 usage? Clearly it's able to be successful despite those drawbacks. That's because it's a reliable uno reverse card to play at the end of the game to get free wins in otherwise unwinnable scenarios. You can play bad all game and still win. The guessing game is heavily stacked in Gambit's favor, so you'd be dumb to not abuse it. And I think that's what makes it by far the most unhealthy part of the current metagame.

I can't wait for the yt comment section when the inevitable gouging fire suspect to be all complaints cause "gouging beats kingambit and gholdengo but FINCH WANTS TO BAN IT INSTEAD??? The OU clown show clearly is being payed off by big pharma since they REFUSE to ban them!!!111!1!111"

Alright before I disappear into oblivion:
- Sorry guys I forgor to do the uhhh survey thingy
- Yo breaking swipe gouging is annoying asf to fight for no reason like DAMN...
- goat therian beat the washed allegations
- wellspring is funny I like encore on it how bout you guys?

I can't wait for the yt comment section when the inevitable gouging fire suspect to be all complaints cause "gouging beats kingambit and gholdengo but FINCH WANTS TO BAN IT INSTEAD??? The OU clown show clearly is being payed off by big pharma since they REFUSE to ban them!!!111!1!111"
I fucking hate the youtube comments of poketubers. Like for fuck's sake, THAT IS NOT THE ONLY THING IN THE UNIVERSE RIGHT NOW. Get over it.
Still, pretty funny shit though, I like to laugh at others dumbassery because they don't actually look at the reasons why we ban things.

Last edited:
Alright, I won't mention Tera in the future since it seems like people want some kind of action but don't want it gone either. In my opinion, this is a bit hypocritical as I don't believe a half measure is good enough concerning Tera. It should either be banned, or stay as it is as far as I'm concerned and I have never seen an argument making me believe the metagame would be better with Tera preview or Tera Blast ban. Tera Blast is fine and the only really strong abusers are Kingambit and Volcarona.
I would argue that in the case of Kingambit, Tera Blast isn't a really good option since until you Tera you basically only have two attacking moves with one being useless if your opponent doesn't attack.
In the case of Volcarona I believe it is extremely unealthy and matchup fishy but it has always been the case and it's only pokemon that I believe is too strong with Tera Blast. When only one abuser seems problematic you ban said pokemon, not the move.

Concerning the rest of the survey it seems like my voting was pretty similar to the results except for the fact that Gouging Fire would not be my first (or even second) choice for a ban but as long as the metagame progress in the right direction I will be happy. I'm kind of surprised and disappointed that Kingambit scored this low though. I don't lose to it that often since I'm used to it but calling it a "skill check" is just pretentious in my opinion. Even though it can be cheap in its own way, Zamazenta is a skill check and forces people to have good teambuilding habits. It also can't break past its usual checks with a random Tera.
Kingambit just waits until end game to potentially reverse sweep you if it has the right Tera and it can use A LOT of different Tera types to pick its checks : Dark, Fly, Fire, Fairy, Ghost, Fight.

As a side note, I'm surprised not more people are using Garganacl in the current metagame considering how good it is against a lot of top threats.
I was also glad to see a good amount of mention for Gliscor among qualified voters as I also believe it to be unealthy.

Will keep an eye on Gouging Fire suspect but I don't know if I'll have time to get reqs. The result is just a foregone conclusion though so I'm not too worried.

The survey results are quite interesting. In my opinion I feel that at the very minimum gouging fire and ogerpon wellspring are definitely going to be some of the last bans of the generation. I honestly think both of them need to go.

Gouging fire is almost unkillable after breaking swipe and can pp stall dozo of all things. Choice band makes it unreasonably powerful, and it's simply too bulky to be hitting as hard as it is. It's gotta go

In my opinion, I thought wellspring was far more nuts then hearthflame but firepon had so much immediate power that I understand why it was banned. Waterpon on the other hand is way too limiting basically killing the viability of most water types, blocking alomomolas flip turn, and eating hydro steam from wake. It's way too limiting on the team builder and I think it's gotta go as soon a gouging fire gets banned

I'm quite mixed on roaring moon and volcarona. I can see them being banned, especially after gouging fire and wellspring get hit, but right now, I feel that both are quite situational.

Roaring Moon has almost no direct counters and it's still doing the same things it always has been during dlc1. Wanna break stall, run taunt, wanna solve your physdef problem, run rillaboom and grassy seed. but this meta has so much priority (sucker punch, aqua jet, ice shard, extreme speed) that needing a turn to setup can be the difference between snowballing out of control, or getting absolutely demolished by priority physical breakers like belly drum Azumarill (who can 2HKO after belly drum) or weavile (who has a 2/3 chance to 2HKO regardless of tera flying). As much as I don't want roaring moon banned, it still does the same stuff it was doing in dlc1 and I can see it being banned again.

Volcarona on the other hand is absolutely nuts, but it bears the burden of having it's tera be dragon for wellspring. Just like moon, it is also a setup sweeper that needs 1 or 2 turns to snowball out of control but when it does, it is quite literally a wmd. It is also quite weak (though not as bad) to priority as well but it's so versatile that it can adapt to any situation. I also don't think it would hurt to consider the cheese with flame body. No wonder it's called the matchup moth. I can definitely see this being suspected and banned after wellspring ban and I think volc is far more pressing than moon.

As surprising as it is, I don't see raging bolt or kingambit as problematic whatsoever. They are more like 2 sides of the same coin. One is physical and one is special. And they are both so easy to splash on a team with little effort.

Kingambit has been something literally everyone I hear wants banned. Supreme overlord is a great ability and it plays some of the most egregious mind games with tera and sucker punch. This thing can even claim kills after getting burned. However it is a massive tera hog and having weaknesses to 2 of the most common types does not help it. Gambits ground weakness can be soft patched by an air balloon but it's only a half solution. It also doesn't help that it's so reliant on sucker that players can use that to their advantage and click encore. I wouldn't mind seeing it banned but it's honestly not as big of a deal as people put it out to be.

Raging bolt is the other side of the coin with a similar play style. Unlike gambit, it has better special bulk, especially after calm mind and it's physical bulk is not that bad either. It usually runs booster spatk, and calm mind but this monster has electric sucker punch and tera so you are also playing mind games with great neck. Just like gambit, it is a tera hog and being weak to ground is a great liability in OU. It can be soft patched with an air balloon but as said before, it's only a half solution. It's also too reliant on thunderclap for speed control and that can be exploited whether that be encore or switching to a ground type. It also doesn't help it's weak to dragon in a meta full of dragons like dragapult, hydrapple, hydreigon (it's very underrated), wake, etc. I also don't mind seeing this get banned but I think it's fine as well.

Me, keeping Meowscarada in the tier by a thread~

I guess I'll wait to keep playing until the stupid dragon is gone. I had the unfortunate luck of playing against the breaking swipes set and it was actually impressive in how fucking annoying it was. But also a breaking swipe Moon in the same team? weird stuff

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Man, those enjoyment and competitiveness scores are telling. They’re still above half, sure, but it’s clear the threat saturation of the tier is so great even the general playerbase is starting to become tired of it. Luckily we have this year and some to potentially make the meta more playable, hopefully starting with a Gouging Fire suspect/ban.

we might actually have more! it'd make a lot of sense for game freak to push the release of gen 10 back to 2026 to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the franchise, so we could potentially have this meta for 3 years instead of 2
I agree it would make sense, but lets be real. When have game freak's decisions made sense?

Interesting how Ghold and Gambit both received notably higher scores from general voters as opposed to qualified ones.
Y'know what. I'm gonna say it. Qualified players have genuinely just given up and have accepted that this gen is the "put like 2 fighting types and 5 boots pokemon on your team" generation. It's like a fucking societal ill that's been present for 2 centuries at this point so why bother fixing it because the lay person wouldn't appreciate the difference!

Lugia bros.... What the hell happened? I thought we got decent support in the last survey. I was sure there was unity in our movement. It wasn't suppose to fizzle out like this....

Kyurem and Gliscor getting the same amount of support is surprising. Gliscor is still annoying af, but I assumed people would be more tame with it since its harder to slot onto teams in this meta.

There were 3 mentions of Dondozo, but if we count Unaware + Def boosting moves to that equation, it is actually 5 mentions. As the bans increase, we will see higher write-ins for Dozo. It was "fun" while it lasted, but time is ticking for you buddy.

Surprised Garganacl got higher votes from the general public than the qualified base, scoring the same as Gholdengo. Would have assumed it would have been the other way around. Its especially surprising it pulled in higher numbers than Ogerpon-W.

I thought that without roost Kyurem would be unnable to pp stall, yet i find myself struggling with that set. Sub and protect give it enough room to cure with lefties, and also has access to a variety of moves to f**k with you like:
Freeze dry +earth power for almost perfect coverage
Dd + icicle spear, even without loaded dice it can deal decent damage, while becoming faster and pp stall you in the way, disgusting
Freeze dry + icicle spear, even without boost, it can now punish both sides from walls trying to switch,again,loaded dice is not necessary because this is only a way to chip WHILE PP STALL

Specs sets still unwallable, and even some mixed sets to mess around with counter mons of the other sets. While it can't do everything at once, it becomes a team building HELL because you can't account for every variation, one being absolutely disgusting for bulky teams (pp stall one) and the other getting a kill every time it hits the field (specs).

What do you think about kyurem guys? It seems in the survey people mention kyurem in the blank space. I know it survived the suspect, but it was a close result and its presence doesn't seem competitive to me.

Alright, I won't mention Tera in the future since it seems like people want some kind of action but don't want it gone either. In my opinion, this is a bit hypocritical as I don't believe a half measure is good enough concerning Tera. It should either be banned, or stay as it is as far as I'm concerned and I have never seen an argument making me believe the metagame would be better with Tera preview or Tera Blast ban. Tera Blast is fine and the only really strong abusers are Kingambit and Volcarona.
I would argue that in the case of Kingambit, Tera Blast isn't a really good option since until you Tera you basically only have two attacking moves with one being useless if your opponent doesn't attack.
In the case of Volcarona I believe it is extremely unealthy and matchup fishy but it has always been the case and it's only pokemon that I believe is too strong with Tera Blast. When only one abuser seems problematic you ban said pokemon, not the move.

Concerning the rest of the survey it seems like my voting was pretty similar to the results except for the fact that Gouging Fire would not be my first (or even second) choice for a ban but as long as the metagame progress in the right direction I will be happy. I'm kind of surprised and disappointed that Kingambit scored this low though. I don't lose to it that often since I'm used to it but calling it a "skill check" is just pretentious in my opinion. Even though it can be cheap in its own way, Zamazenta is a skill check and forces people to have good teambuilding habits. It also can't break past its usual checks with a random Tera.
Kingambit just waits until end game to potentially reverse sweep you if it has the right Tera and it can use A LOT of different Tera types to pick its checks : Dark, Fly, Fire, Fairy, Ghost, Fight.

As a side note, I'm surprised not more people are using Garganacl in the current metagame considering how good it is against a lot of top threats.
I was also glad to see a good amount of mention for Gliscor among qualified voters as I also believe it to be unealthy.

Will keep an eye on Gouging Fire suspect but I don't know if I'll have time to get reqs. The result is just a foregone conclusion though so I'm not too worried.
This is my exact stance, half measures aren't good enough, it has to go, and I'm tired of this sunk cost fallacy people are falling into with it. It's ultimately not worth keeping in singles. I'm tired of people like blunder saying that it should stay because this is the metagame, when we could be playing a better one without tera.
Lugia bros.... What the hell happened? I thought we got decent support in the last survey. I was sure there was unity in our movement. It wasn't suppose to fizzle out like this....

Kyurem and Gliscor getting the same amount of support is surprising. Gliscor is still annoying af, but I assumed people would be more tame with it since its harder to slot onto teams in this meta.

There were 3 mentions of Dondozo, but if we count Unaware + Def boosting moves to that equation, it is actually 5 mentions. As the bans increase, we will see higher write-ins for Dozo. It was "fun" while it lasted, but time is ticking for you buddy.

Surprised Garganacl got higher votes from the general public than the qualified base, scoring the same as Gholdengo. Would have assumed it would have been the other way around. Its especially surprising it pulled in higher numbers than Ogerpon-W.
I mentioned Lugia, don't worry

Last edited:

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Y'know what. I'm gonna say it. Qualified players have genuinely just given up and have accepted that this gen is the "put like 2 fighting types and 5 boots pokemon on your team" generation. It's like a fucking societal ill that's been present for 2 centuries at this point so why bother fixing it because the lay person wouldn't appreciate the difference!
Or maybe you know. the qualified playerbase that regularly plays on the high ladder or tours and can consistently get reqs have a better understanding of the metagame than a 1300s player who thinks Rillaboom is broken.

Even though some have controversial takes, their takes come from experience and have convincing evidence to support them, rather than pulling shit out of their ass.

Gambit is 50/50 for me in terms of brokeness, but for Ghold, it clear why the qualified playerbase is less adamant about it. They are just much better at dealing with hazards and they also don’t mind the few options for hazard removal as long as they’re good. Team structures with multiple Spike immune pokes like Lando or Dnite and offensive powerhouses backed up by Tusk ruins Superman Balances that rely on hazard stacking to win. They simply aren’t that good rn in the current landscape, and the qualified playerbase was willing to adapt. Ghold itself gets pressured by several Fire, Dark, and Ground types in the tier. There is a reason why it is now 7th in usage instead of 3rd or 4th.

I made a guide on Spikes a few days ago if you haven’t checked it out.

I thought that without roost Kyurem would be unnable to pp stall, yet i find myself struggling with that set. Sub and protect give it enough room to cure with lefties, and also has access to a variety of moves to f**k with you like:
Freeze dry +earth power for almost perfect coverage
Dd + icicle spear, even without loaded dice it can deal decent damage, while becoming faster and pp stall you in the way, disgusting
Freeze dry + icicle spear, even without boost, it can now punish both sides from walls trying to switch,again,loaded dice is not necessary because this is only a way to chip WHILE PP STALL

Specs sets still unwallable, and even some mixed sets to mess around with counter mons of the other sets. While it can't do everything at once, it becomes a team building HELL because you can't account for every variation, one being absolutely disgusting for bulky teams (pp stall one) and the other getting a kill every time it hits the field (specs).

What do you think about kyurem guys? It seems in the survey people mention kyurem in the blank space. I know it survived the suspect, but it was a close result and its presence doesn't seem competitive to me.
The pp stalling set is absolute bullshit. Trust me, I know, I have used it a decent amount. It forces a lot of teams into their kyurem counter that can boost up, and even then they usually can't do anything. Dondozo? That bozo is going to run out of waterfall pp quickly. Glowking? Slow down king, you ain't going to be doing shit when I tera steel. Gholdengo? More like gholden-go its make it rain pp.

pokemon legends Z-A is releasing in 2025 and there wasn't any gameplay footage shown in the trailer. i honestly could understand game freak taking it slow now rather than rushing out games every 2.5 milliseconds
Fair, but I also wouldn't be suprised if it was early 2025, like february. Legends arceus released in January 2022 and SV released November 2022. There is some level of precedence, though there is hope it won't. Though the legends arceus trailer did have gameplay, so I think it would be something like april for legends Z-A. The production teams for each game are different, so they can somewhat make both at similar times. I think SS, Arceus and SV were made in similar time periods, though correct me if I'm wrong.

Or maybe you know. the qualified playerbase that regularly plays on the high ladder or tours and can consistently get reqs have a better understanding of the metagame than a 1300s player who thinks Rillaboom is broken.

Even though some have controversial takes, their takes come from experience and have convincing evidence to support them, rather than pulling shit out of their ass.

Gambit is 50/50 for me in terms of brokeness, but for Ghold, it clear why the qualified playerbase is less adamant about it. They are just much better at dealing with hazards and they also don’t mind the few options for hazard removal as long as they’re good. Team structures with multiple Spike immune pokes like Lando or Dnite and offensive powerhouses backed up by Tusk ruins Superman Balances that rely on hazard stacking to win. They simply aren’t that good rn in the current landscape, and the qualified playerbase was willing to adapt. Ghold itself gets pressured by several Fire, Dark, and Ground types in the tier. There is a reason why it is now 7th in usage instead of 3rd or 4th.

I made a guide on Spikes a few days ago if you haven’t checked it out.
It needs to be said as well, that removing Ghold at this point in time would not make the hazard dynamic that different. We have two viable removers, three if you wanna count Corv, and Corv loses to Ghold while Tusk and Treads can beat it. It's not as simple as that obviously but there is counterplay. So I think most people have just come to the idea that removing it won't really move the needle much, that and people have been adapting to Ghold structures that abuse hazard stack.

Gambit is definitely more contentious but there are also just bigger fish to fry at the moment and it's still obvious top tier, but not really the same level of broken as stuff like Gouging Fire or Wellspring.

I think it feels wrong to me that some of us are content with tera staying because we accepted that is what the metagame is, we all know OU would be better without it and yet we just cannot let go. Like I don't understand why we can't take action because people are just content with it staying despite wanting it gone. This is the problem, we should not be falling into this sunk cost fallacy. Because if I wanna give the cold hard truth, you literally cannot balance singles around tera. I know part of the issue of new banworthy things popping up is powercreep, but tera is a massive factor and it's never going to end. We are gonna be talking about stuff like Weavile and Zama being broken due to tera in like a year, and at that point it's time for tera to go.

I wish people could just bite the bullet and let tera go in singles. Keeping tera just isn't sustainable, and doing so is going to hurt the reputation of the tier after the gen ends. I understand we want the tier to keep the mechanic because it's fun, but the effects tera has are way more negative than positive and as a competitive tier we need to prioritize balance over fun even if it hurts to do so. i just seems like tera as a whole has limited what is good and has made everything broken due to the unpredictability and just isn't sustainable for tier enjoyment or team diversity because it feels like just the same offense and stall teams made to counter HO over and over and unless tera gets yeeted that probably won't change. Also the variance is lame and really gets old and has been. The endless domino effect of banning op mons and others being op due to tera really frustrates me and unless tera goes I don't see it stopping anytime soon.

I am just frustrated that people are willing to accept something because they just don't feel like starting over or banning/restricting tera because of being content and not wanting to ban it because it is fun. Tera is fundamentally unbalanced in singles and it's been long enough for some people like myself to realize it. Seeing nothing on the survey changing in really frustrating and makes me wish we as a playerbase could just ban it or make up our mind on how to restrict tera, because nothing works and keeping it is not an option anymore. I think focusing on Gouging Fire should be priority, but I think tera has to be prioritized after it and Roaring Moon go as Tera genuinely feels like the most problematic it has been all gen to me. As someone who is sick of the same tera cheese and variance form stored power mons, Kingambit, Raging Bolt, Volcarona, etc; I just find the lack of change in the survey results really aggravating as someone who has wanted action since after the first test.

Edit: I spent way too long on this venting, I need to go touch some grass but honestly writing this feels like a waste of my time, honestly I just wanna know why people and qualified players are as hesitant as they are for a full tera ban or a restriction in all honestly, because I feel like this doom and gloom from me is kinda unnecessary, but venting isn't gonna solve anything. Just wanted to get my frustrations out, and maybe some qualified players talking about why they want to keep tera or are not ready to restrict/ban could help me get a better perspective on why people do not want action. I think the next thing to do is stop venting and create something constructive of this, and understand other points of view a bit better.

Also Pinkacross has a good video on the negative effects of tera in the tier, give it a watch even if you are pro tera to understand those who want tera gone:

Last edited:
OU council keep banning Pokemon, but when are we going to address the real problem? There is a single mechanic destroying OU right now, and we all know what I'm talking about...

When will the council finally ban DEFENCE BOOSTING MOVES? The survey demands it!
Okay that was pretty funny I must admit! Thanks for lightening the mood a bit!

Imagine defense boosting moves getting to that point though, that would take a two certain banned pivoting moves that allow easy stat boosting through the pass of a sub or the passing of raw stats!

Oh wait-

OU council keep banning Pokemon, but when are we going to address the real problem? There is a single mechanic destroying OU right now, and we all know what I'm talking about...

When will the council finally ban DEFENCE BOOSTING MOVES? The survey demands it!
The real enemies were Unaware mons we made along the way.
But for real, who tf said unaware was banworthy? I guess they want to make the metagame even worse.