SM OU Tapu Lele & Alakazam-Mega Bulky Offense *V1.1* [Mid-1500s]

At a Glance:

I wanted to build a team around Tapu Lele and Alakazam, so I got Greninja and Magnezone to deal with Steel and Dark types that wall them. Garchomp and Zapdos form the defensive backbone of the Psychics. Click here for an importable! (v1.1)

Team Writeup and Explanations (v1.1: massive changes to Magnezone, new importable)

90RP (Alakazam-Mega) (M) @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Recover​

Nothing new, just your average Alakazam-Mega. However, I opted for Recover as it helps Zam's against stall. Shadow Ball is coverage against other Psychic's like Tapu Lele and Jirachi (outspeeding both even if scarfed!), while Focus Blast allows me to kill Ash-Gren, while denting Tran and Excadrill decently. Psychic, under the Psychic Terrain boost, nukes many mons that don't resist it.

Superstar (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Tapu Lele provides huge support in the form of Psychic Terrain, buffing up Zam's STAB, while preventing priority moves like Scizor's Bullet Punch and Weavile's Ice Shard. I opted for Choice Specs, since Zam provides speed control, and Lele can bring wallbreaking potential to the team. Psychic is STAB, but I chose Psyshock as it dents physically weak special walls like Chansey and Blissey a lot. Moonblast is a safe early to mid-game option, and eases prediction on my side. HP Fire is a great way to deal with Scizor and Ferrothorn in a pinch.

Trap (Greninja) (M) @ Fightinium Z Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Low Kick
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot

I brought on Greninja as it helps my matchup with Heatran and Magearna, and to a certain extent Chansey and Ferrothorn. Z-Low Kick nukes the aforementioned Pokemon which would otherwise wall my two Psychics. Low Kick, powered up by Life Orb is able to OHKO Heatran, and wear down the other 3 considerably for my Psychics to take out later. This opens up my options, allowing me to guarantee kills with Grass Knot as well, while allowing me to place my Z move on Magnezone. t also helps me deal with Ice types, which my defensive core is severely weak to. Gunk Shot deals nicely with Alolan Ninetales, Clefable and Tapu Bulu, three of which can also cause problems for my Psychics. Ice Beam catches the KO on Lando-T and Gliscor, while severely denting Zapdos which might try and Defog off my Rocks. While Spikes can let Greninja support the team when it's useless, I've been getting very little mileage out of it, hence I have been using Grass Knot in its place. It gives me a reliable Mega Swampert counter! It can tank 1 hit from Swampert and return the favour with a one-hit KO too.

252 Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Greninja: 225-265 (78.9 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Protean Greninja Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 388-460 (113.7 - 134.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hooker (Magnezone) @ Steelium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute

Magnezone is my ultimate answer to the other steel types that Fightinium Z cannot cover, like Scizor, Kartana (8HP and 4Def helps me live a Sacred Sword) and Ferrothorn, due to HP Fire. Thunderbolt is STAB, and deals with Celesteela much better than HP Fire. Flash Cannon is a safe STAB which can 2HKO Tapu Koko with rocks, and can deal with Fairies well. Volt Switch allows me to use Magnezone as a Birdspam pivot, like Mega Pidgeot and Mega Pinsir. After some experimenting, I've found that Magnezone can usually tank a hit from its threats, or force a switch on a nice pivot, allowing me to Substitute up. Steelium Z gives Magnezone a nice nuke, allowing it to OHKO problematic mons like Landorus-T and Mega-Latios.

4 Eyes (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog​

Zapdos is my defogger which also helps me check Hawlucha, and improves my matchup against rain. I run Static to help fish for ParaHax alongside Discharge. Roost allows me to stay healthy in order to wall for longer, while Heat Wave makes sure I don't get walled by Ferrothorn (yes I really hate Ferrothorn). Zapdos also has ground resist when not roosting, which improves my matchup against Scarf Landorus-T.

Cynthia (Garchomp) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Toxic​

Garchomp is my Rocker, as well as my answer to Volt-Turn, as it is immune to Volt Switch while punishing U-Turns with Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet. Rocks is important in netting key OHKO's like Kingdra in rain (with M-Zam's Trace -> Swift Swim). I run Max Speed as this allows me to successfully deal with Mega-Medicham (setup then EQ), and Mega-Mawile. Roar is my answer to setup sweepers like Volcarona and Dragonite. Toxic allows me to deal with the more passive walls which I can't dent with Earthquake.

Threats:
  • Rain, once Zam is shut down. I have no real answer to Mega Swampert.
  • Scarf Revenge Killers.
  • Zard X eats this team for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • Dual Screens, which requires a lot of important calcs.

Replays (still finding some, these are played on an alt.):
I'm at 23-9 so far, but I attribute some of them to misplays on my side.

Conclusion:
This was my attempt at building around ZamLele, hence am open to changes as long as my LeleZam core is untouched. Thank you!

Last edited:
Decent team imo, but there are still a few things that I might change.
1. Your Greninja set doesn't seem right. Fight Z Low Kick Greninja doesnt seem like the best option. Your moveset is fine, but I would definitely change the item to Expert Belt, or LO.
2. If you were to follow what I just said, then your team would still need a Z-move user. If you don't want to change any mons, then your best bet is to slap fight z on lele, as that can really hit hard. Of course, this would mean you would have to put Focus Blast on it, which I would probably swap hp fire for, or one of your psychic STABs, since both aren't necessary, but can still work.
3. Here I'm just gonna talk about your things that you put in bold.
Spikes on Gren is perfectly fine, as you can set up a layer on a swap if you want, so it's always good to have just in case, although if you want 4 attacks, that can work too.
Heat Wave on zappy is good, as it can wall and pressure annoying stuff like Kart, M-Sciz, and as you mentioned, that bastard Ferro., as they will never know if you have it or not. Just make sure to try and keep it secret so that they won't always be scared of a heat wave smacking them. Also be sure to use it carefully if they've got a Tran.
That's about it.

2. If you were to follow what I just said, then your team would still need a Z-move user. If you don't want to change any mons, then your best bet is to slap fight z on lele, as that can really hit hard. Of course, this would mean you would have to put Focus Blast on it, which I would probably swap hp fire for, or one of your psychic STABs, since both aren't necessary, but can still work.
Hey LandoLando , thanks for the rate. I was wondering about what you just said here though. If I swapped out the Specs from Lele, then won't I not have enough wallbreaking potential? One example that comes to mind would be my problem with Chansey.

With Fightinium Z,
252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 264-312 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

With Specs Psyshock,
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 390-460 (55.4 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In this case, it definitely makes more sense for me to keep the Specs on Lele, as it still allows it to carry out its role of wallbreaker. I also feel that Greninja doesn't need a belt or orb, as it doesn't contribute to killing Clefable either ways.

252 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 361-429 (91.6 - 108.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Of course, that's just my take on your suggestion. Having expert belt allows me to deal with Heatran without the need of the Z-Move, but I wouldn't like having to take chip from Ferro's Iron Barbs and potentially Rocky Helmet, which Fightinium Z helps mitigate. If there were any calcs that you had in mind, I would gladly like to hear! :)

Once again thank you for the rate! :psysly:

Hey LandoLando , thanks for the rate. I was wondering about what you just said here though. If I swapped out the Specs from Lele, then won't I not have enough wallbreaking potential? One example that comes to mind would be my problem with Chansey.

With Fightinium Z,
252 SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 264-312 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

With Specs Psyshock,
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Psychic Terrain: 390-460 (55.4 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

In this case, it definitely makes more sense for me to keep the Specs on Lele, as it still allows it to carry out its role of wallbreaker. I also feel that Greninja doesn't need a belt or orb, as it doesn't contribute to killing Clefable either ways.

252 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 361-429 (91.6 - 108.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Of course, that's just my take on your suggestion. Having expert belt allows me to deal with Heatran without the need of the Z-Move, but I wouldn't like having to take chip from Ferro's Iron Barbs and potentially Rocky Helmet, which Fightinium Z helps mitigate. If there were any calcs that you had in mind, I would gladly like to hear! :)

Once again thank you for the rate! :psysly:
You make valid points. and you're welcome!

-----Version 1.1 Changes-----

I'll just be talking about the team's changes for v1.1. I've also added an Importable so that it'll be easier for y'all to test/play.

1. Your Greninja set doesn't seem right. Fight Z Low Kick Greninja doesnt seem like the best option. Your moveset is fine, but I would definitely change the item to Expert Belt, or LO.
Upon further testing, I've found that Greninja is indeed a better choice with Life Orb, netting key OHKO's and 2HKO's on certain walls/threats.
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 393-463 (101.8 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 265-315 (75.2 - 89.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 4 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 504-598 (147.8 - 175.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It also dents Mag and Chansey, allowing my other mon's to take them out.

If you were to follow what I just said, then your team would still need a Z-move user.
Steelium Z on Magnezone also nets pretty solid KO's on mons that would prove difficult for the team. These are done behind a Sub, preferably set up on more passive mons, like Ferrothorn using Leech Seed, and Celesteela using Protect. A substitute also lives a hit from Scizor's Bullet Punch.
  • 252+ SpA Magnezone Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Latios-Mega: 273-322 (90.6 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Magnezone Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 346-408 (90.5 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Magnezone Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 20 HP / 20 SpD Tapu Koko: 355-418 (124.1 - 146.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Magnezone Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 327-385 (91.5 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

So that about wraps up the changes for v1.1. Thank you for checking in, and all the best! :)

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey, PsySpam has been a pretty common offensive core throughout the generation. There are a few things I'd change though.

First off, I don't think that Tapu Lele needs HP Fire. You already have a Magnezone and a Zapdos to take care of all the things HP Fire Lele would. I think Focus Blast would be better on Lele, as it OHKO's Tyranitar and hits Mawile for the same damage that HP Fire would.

Second, I think the Battle Bond Greninja weakness is too much to ignore. Also, I don't think that Greninja is too necessary on your team. For these reasons, I think that adding a Ferrothorn over Greninja would be a good idea. It also offers Spikes support for your offensive Pokemon while being a better answer to opposing Psychic types too. You seem to be worried about Heatran, but you have several Pokemon which hit it hard and offensively pressure it, with two even safely switching into it.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
You can replace either one of the attacking moves for Thunder Wave to help paralysis spread too.

I hope these changes help.

Reactions: TPP
Hey Diophantine ! Thanks for the rate, appreciate it.
First off, I don't think that Tapu Lele needs HP Fire. You already have a Magnezone and a Zapdos to take care of all the things HP Fire Lele would. I think Focus Blast would be better on Lele, as it OHKO's Tyranitar and hits Mawile for the same damage that HP Fire would.
A valid point. I will try this after writing this.
Second, I think the Battle Bond Greninja weakness is too much to ignore. Also, I don't think that Greninja is too necessary on your team. For these reasons, I think that adding a Ferrothorn over Greninja would be a good idea. It also offers Spikes support for your offensive Pokemon while being a better answer to opposing Psychic types too. You seem to be worried about Heatran, but you have several Pokemon which hit it hard and offensively pressure it, with two even safely switching into it.
While I fully agree that AshGren is a threat, I feel that Alakazam's Focus Blast outspeeds it, and also nets the KO, albeit at a low 70% accuracy. However, I think the bigger issue at hand is not replacing Greninja, but the Pokemon that you're suggesting I replace Greninja with. Sure, Greninja only helps with certain mons like Tapu's and Landorus-T. Replacing it with Ferrothorn would cover these mons too. However, there is one problem I've encountered a lot, that I feel my team cannot properly handle.

this beast of a mon right here

Once he gets DD up, the game's basically a wrap. Ferrothorn doesn't live a Flare Blitz, and it doesn't help me with this mon. While I cannot deny Ferrothorn is indeed better at rounding the team up than Greninja, I feel that both aren't able to cover Zard-X with +1/+1.
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Overall, yes, I will be testing Ferro in place of Greninja for now. However, I've been facing real issues with ZardX, and now no longer have a reliable way to take out Landorus-T, or Tapus. I'll be trying to find a better defensive core if Ferrothorn becomes a part of the team, maybe slow the pace of the team in exchange for better checks and a more bulky approach.
Once again, thanks for the rate! :psyglad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)