ORAS OU The Rise of toenails_sauce mk. II (Peak 1698, W/L = 48/12)

As the account of toenails_sauce00, I strived to make an extremely dangerous Mega Metagross HO team. With a lot of thought put behind the teambuilding process, this is how my team came to be as a result.

...It did not go very well. I struggled climbing the ladder with this Mega Metagross HO, lingering way below 1500. My team was simply not powerful enough. I chose to delete the whole team, except that Metagross-Azumarill core. I needed to make a better team--a team that can shoot me high in the ladder. With this in mind, I got to work...

I also needed to start fresh on the ELO ladder, so I needed a new account that would record a new GXE and W/L ratio from my new team (because they were quite crappy). A new account that would later hold the highest ELO I've ever gotten so far. A better toenails_sauce, known as toenails_sauce mk. II.

I started to battle with my new team, hoping that I have become a better teambuilder and player. This went successfully, as I went high up in the ladder, with only few loses. This is the team I've been wanting. A terrifying team that ends games quickly. Years of experience on Showdown led to this huge scaling up the ELO ladder, or...

The Rise of Toenails_sauce mk. II

So...let's get right to it...

(Some cool music that gets stuck in my head when I battle with this team)

1. The Main Man

Drawn by TheAngryAron

As I've said earlier, I built my team around Mega Metagross, because it has good potential in the OU meta. It can break many walls and sweep with relative ease, which makes him a damn useful team member. Here are the set details:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
=== It is important to speed-tie with other base 110s, so max Speed investment with Jolly is chosen. Mega Metagross also has both STABs in Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt, as they can deal with several key OU threats, like Clefable, Keldeo, and Amoonguss. Hammer Arm works well against Steel-types, like Bisharp, Magnezone, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill. Finally, Ice Punch is for more coverage against tanky Garchomp and Landorus-t and Flying-types.

Furthermore, Mega Metagross makes a good core with Azumarill, who can clean late-game, which brings us to...

2. The Sweepers

by theanswerissure

by MusicalCombusken

These guys get the job done. Nasty Plot Thundurus tends to wreak havoc early-game, while Belly Drum Azumarill can sweep late-game if timed right. In fact, I've gotten quite good at choosing the right time to use Belly Drum, which makes me win many battles I should have lost. Therefore, I consider Azumarill the MVP of my team.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
=== The Speed EVs are important, as they enable the blue monster to outspeed uninvested base 70s and below, such as Skarmory and Clefable. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Attack and HP. Aqua Jet is a revenge-killing tool, and it potentially enables Azumarill to sweep after a Belly Drum boost. Also, Play Rough and Knock Off OHKO walls at +6, like Tangrowth and Ferrothorn, respectively. Play Rough is also a strong STAB attack to use in general.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
===Nasty Plot Thundurus seems to surprise many walls in the current meta. Magic Guard Clefable, in particular, just switches in when I get at +2 and waits to be obliterated. Thundurus needs max Speed investment for base 110s like Gengar and Latios. Leftovers are way better than Life Orb imo, because I don't have a hazard remover, and Thundurus can last much longer in some situations and thus cause further destruction. He would become very powerful after a Nasty Plot boost, anyway. Thunderbolt is the main STAB, and Hidden Power Ice provides coverage against Ground-types. Focus Blast is needed for Ferrothorn and Excadrill.

I needed a better matchup against opposing offensive Pokemon. Mega Lopunny, Mega Manectric, and other strong offensive Pokemon would always be bothersome to HO teams. So I picked Breloom and Scarfed Kyurem-B as...

3. The Revenge-Killers

by Elsdrake

by nganlamsong

Breloom can be outright terrifying if played right. Kyurem-B is a threat that not many teams prepare for, and a well-timed Outrage can be game over for the opponent (it can sometimes make a surprise factor with its scarf!).

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Force Palm
===Life Orb and Adamant Nature combined = extreme power. Especially with Technician, which boosts all three of Breloom's attacking moves. Spore is great for utility and can decide a few games. Bullet Seed does monumental damage, making Breloom's checks think twice before they switch in, like Clefable and Gengar (yes, 3-hit Bullet Seed can do 76-90% on Gengar, while 4-5 hits outright KO it). Mach Punch is important for revenge killing many weakened threats and KOing Breloom's main target, Mega Lopunny. Force Palm is an unexpected move, and it can do a lot of damage, nearly killing Ferrothorn that try to switch into and mess with Breloom.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
===Max Speed with Choice Scarf makes Kyurem-B outspeed scarfed Landorus-T. Even without SpA investment, Ice Beam does good damage to certain walls, like Venusaur and Hippowdon. With Outrage, Kyurem-B can kill some threats it would otherwise not with its other moves. Fusion Bolt does major damage to Manaphy, Azumarill, and Volcanion. Dragon Claw is a reliable STAB to use, if I don't want to be locked into Outrage.

However, I needed a hazard setter to really complete my team. Also, it would be a good idea to add a (Mega) Scizor and Talonflame check, which can destroy my current team.

4. The Stealth Rocker

by Xous54

Heatran is actually the 5th member of my team, not the last (in this post, I organize the Pokemon by their roles). Anyways, it does a good job setting Rocks and applying more pressure on the opposing team, as almost fully-invested Fire Blast coming from a base 130 SpA is nothing to scoff at.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
===Air Balloon causes Heatran to beat Excadrill and defensive Landorus-T, due to the temporary Ground immunity. Max Speed is used to outspeed Jolly Mega Scizor and speed-tie with opposing Timid Heatran. Fire Blast is Heatran's STAB move that causes great damage on many unresisted targets. Earth Power hits Volcanion and other Heatran. Stone Edge kills Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y. Stealth Rock...ugh, you know what it does.

===============================

===============================

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-467034401 Dugtrio + Mega Pidgeot Balance (Win)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-467039469 trick Rotom-w smh (Loss)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-467052875 Mega Diancie HO (Win)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-467062651 sand offense with sub seed serperior >:( (Win)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-470084906 very unique balance team, including Hurricane Whimsicott! (Loss)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-470081578 Mega Venusaur balance, win by Outrage (Win)

AZUMARILL REPLAYS:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-470059428
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-470070069
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-470072737
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-470075984 <<< lel, haxwin =)))))

Threatlist:
Oh, boy...
One may think it all depends on how I play around my threats. However, that is not always the case. There are bastards, albeit few, that cause huge trouble for my team, almost NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

opposing Mega Metagross - no switch ins; I have no mons who can OHKO him. rip.
Volcanion - The bane of HO teams. No switch ins either (even though revenge killed by Kyurem-B and Thundurus)
(I might update this list if I find more threats.)

Well...that's it for now. Thanks for reading, and I really appreciate any help. Good day, sir.

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Breloom @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Force Palm

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw

-toenails_sauce

Last edited:
From a glance I see a huge breloom weakness, rn im busy but il be back later to tell you how to fix it.

EDIT: In order to fix this weakness I suggest replacing kyub with talonflame, this allows you to check birdspam easier with a better revenge killer and Have a way to beat breloom. With talonflame you now need to have a defogger/rapid spinner. I suggest replacing azumarill with starmie in order to keep offensive presence up and gain a rapid spinner, LO or lefties both work on your team, though I would go with LO. Heatran is now redundant because of talon checking things that it would check. So I would replace heatran with rocks SD lando, or rocks clefable for a status absorber, both would work on your team.

Last edited:
From a glance I see a huge breloom weakness, rn im busy but il be back later to tell you how to fix it.

EDIT: In order to fix this weakness I suggest replacing kyub with talonflame, this allows you to check birdspam easier with a better revenge killer and Have a way to beat breloom. With talonflame you now need to have a defogger/rapid spinner. I suggest replacing azumarill with starmie in order to keep offensive presence up and gain a rapid spinner, LO or lefties both work on your team, though I would go with LO. Heatran is now redundant because of talon checking things that it would check. So I would replace heatran with rocks SD lando, or rocks clefable for a status absorber, both would work on your team.
I may be reluctant to make these changes. While they would improve my matchup against birds like Talonflame, they would make my team extremely vulnerable to Electric-types, especially Mega Manectric. But thanks anyway! (I might test those changes to see if they still benefit my team :))

Btw, Adamant LO Breloom's Mach Punch does 32.8 - 38.8% to Mega Metagross, and sometimes Thundurus can beat it 1v1 with HP Ice.

I may be reluctant to make these changes. While they would improve my matchup against birds like Talonflame, they would make my team extremely vulnerable to Electric-types, especially Mega Manectric. But thanks anyway! (I might test those changes to see if they still benefit my team :))

Btw, Adamant LO Breloom's Mach Punch does 32.8 - 38.8% to Mega Metagross, and sometimes Thundurus can beat it 1v1 with HP Ice.
I realized that, but if it spores metagross or metagross takes chip damage then It becomes a very large problem for your team. And yeah I guess mega mane does become a problem if you make those changes so I can see why you dont want to make them.

Hello. Nice team you have got!
Regarding your weakness to Mega Metagross, I think the best way to mitigate this problem is to change
Heatran to TankChomp
. TankChomp fulfils the main objective of your choice of Heatran at the first place: to set up Rocks and check Talonflame and MZor. While TankChomp doesn't fully solve your MMetagross problem, Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet allows you to take away ~30% of the attacker if they use a contact move. This is really useful against MMetagross as you can get TankChomp in on predicted Meteor Mashes, punishing it with the chip damage. Thanks to this chip damage, you now have an easier time revenge killing it, allowing you to get on. This isn't limited to MMetagross too. The chip damage is also really useful for mons like MLopunny, Talonflame, Bisharp, etc. On this TankChomp, I chose Fire Blast > Toxic so as to check MZor better.

As for your Volcanion weakness, there is not much to do about it since HO is largely about sacking and revenge killing, plus the majority of your team outspeeds it anyway so you should be able to revenge kill it pretty easily. However, I'll suggest some changes to give you an easier time against it. The first suggestion would be to use Earthquake > Hammer Arm on
MMetagross
. Originally, I had gone with Thunder Punch > Zen Headbutt but thought otherwise as I wanted to hit Rotom-W harder (with Zen Headbutt). Although many things in your team can deal damage to Rotom-W, it remains a huge nuisance to your team with Will-o-Wisp and Volt Switch, hence I feel that being able to deal some damage to it would be good. EQ, like Hammer Arm, allows you to hit Heatran while at the same time dealing more damage to Volcanion. It also deals some nice damage to opposing MMetagross.

My final suggestion is to make
Breloom Jolly Nature
. This is optional but I'm suggesting this as Jolly Breloom allows you to get Spore off more targets, considering how Rotom-W can run 128 Speed EVs to outspeed Adamant base 70s (it can run more that's taking up even more bulk). Jolly Breloom also allows you to not risk the Speed tie going for Spore/Bullet Seed on Specs Volcanion, since they tend to run Modest Nature. Like I said, this is optional and depends on what you want more, the Speed or the Power. Also, Swords Dance/Rock Tomb is preferred over Force Palm as you rarely get opportunities to fire off a Force Palm. Instead, SD can be used to boost your Attack, making it easier to clean teams with Mach Punch and deal more damage with Bullet Seed. Alternatively, Rock Tomb can be used to catch Flying types like Torn-T, Talonflame and Zard Y on the switch.

This is your new team:
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)