ORAS Doubles OU Unorthodox Mega Gardevoir Tournament Team

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Overview:

Back in the Fall of 2015, my then Tutor (and now Retiree) Audiosurfer helped me build a team that, instead of being used in a few test matches and then forgotten, has risen above and beyond expectations. This team has been used by many strong players other than myself in the Doubles tournament scene, perhaps most notably by Stratos, when he used it in the Winners Finals of the Fall Doubles Seasonal tournament vs. KyleCole and won. Stratos also used the team 2 or 3 times during that tournament, in which he got all the way to the Grand Finals. I used this team frequently in tournaments, easily using it in at least one game per round, in both the Fall and Winter Doubles Seasonals, both of which I did quite well in. (Better in Winter than Fall, but you get the idea.) This team is tried, true, and while it may not quite fit the framework of many other Mega Gardevoir teams, it does one thing: it wins.

The Team:

A short disclaimer: I will post here my current version of the team and what I think is best. Numerous other players have made changes to this team, and may have different opinions on what is better. I will do my best to mention all possible options.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Mega Gardevoir is the centerpiece of this team. The entire team is built so that Mega Gardevoir sweeps with Hyper Voice. My complex gameplan with this team involves: 1. Remove Hyper Voice checks and 2. Click Hyper Voice. This Pokemon is the entirety of step 2, and the next 5 make up step 1. This Mega Gardevoir set is both standard and not standard. More recent Mega Gardevoir sets use tons of bulk, and I use those sets too, but on this team, I go with max Speed because I have Focus Blast. Focus Blast catches Mega Kangaskhan for big damage, but it is mainly on this set for Ferrothorn, which is a pretty big... thorn... in this team's side. There are a lot of other options for Mega Gardevoir's 3rd move, but trust me, you need all the help vs. Ferrothorn and Mega Kangaskhan you can get.

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Landorus is Step 1 of the aforementioned Step 1. Landorus-I removes Steels, one of the biggest threats to Mega Gardevoir, and with Rock Slide, can take out Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame, two other big threats. And, I know what you're thinking. Focus Blast again? Yes, because Ferrothorn. (and Mega Kangaskhan) Anyway, This is the standard Landorus I set, with Focus Blast as my coverage move. Other good options are Psychic, for hitting Keldeo and Amoonguss, Sludge Bomb, for hitting Azumarill and Grass-types, and Hidden Power Ice for opposing Landorus'. I think Naive or Hasty is arbitrary on Landorus-I, as I haven't found a calc that really says otherwise, and I like being better vs. physical hits.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Stone Edge

Scarf Kyurem-Black removes Landorus-T and Thundurus, which are threats to the team, and therefore Mega Gardevoir, and it also has a nice time versus bulky Water-types, which Mega Gardevoir can struggle against. Dragon Claw hits Dragons, and Stone Edge knocks out Mega Charizard Y, which, as I said before, is a Garde check. Scarf Kyurem-Black is great, by the way. Fast and Strong Ice Beams decimate a lot of the metagame. I've run Sleep Talk on this before, over Stone Edge, for an extra sleep switch-in, but Stone Edge is much better.

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 132 SpA / 40 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
- Tailwind

Suicune is one of my favorite Pokemon, and I love it on this team. It's super fat and provides crucial Tailwind support that lets Mega Gardevoir sweep. It helps remove Fire-types and the ever-present Landorus-T, and it's general bulkiness is just all around great. Not to mention the Scald burns, neutralizing physical attackers that can trouble Mega Gardevoir so much. This is the standard EV spread with a little speed creep, I believe.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 104 Def / 8 SpA / 128 SpD / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

Bulky Thundurus is amazing. This Pokemon spreads Thunder Waves throughout the opposing team, crippling anything faster than Mega Gardevoir, putting it in even a better position to sweep. Taunt is there to prevent Trick Room, redirection, set up, opposing Thunder Wave, etc, and Thundurus helps beat bulky Waters, a struggle for Gardevoir. Thundurus single-handedly won me a series in the Winter Seasonal vs. a very strong player in Memoric: See here

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

And finally, Aegislash. Aegislash is a good Mega Kangaskhan pseudo-check and a good check to Trick Room. Substitute helps vs. Amoonguss and for taking advantage of free turns and Aegislash's great typing. Aegislash helps check Diancie, other Aegislash, and Ghost types like Gengar and Jellicent, which Gardevoir may struggle with. Also, it's my personal belief that you can't build a Doubles OU team without a Steel-type, so here's this team's Steel.

Conclusion:

As I said above, there is one way to play this team: remove Hyper Voice checks, click Hyper Voice. Do that, and you will win games with this team. There are two main checks to this team, Ferrothorn and Mega Kangaskhan. If played correctly, the team deals with both just fine. Players who don't preserve Mega Gardevoir, and then can't win with this team, please do not complain about "how bad it is". That being said, if you've used this team, and would like to attest to its success, or point out its weaknesses, please do so. I know other noteworthy players have used the team and done well.

Thank you for reading! Be sure to leave your thoughts below!

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, nice team.

I don't feel like I can really do a full rate right now because I'm sure that you, Stratos, and everyone else who has used this team has experienced and shoved things around a bit and because it is a very succesful team I don't really want to change much about it at all. I have a few quick suggestions though.

I would change Kyurem-Black to a Draco Meteor / Ice Beam / Earth Power / Stone Edge set with 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Atk with a Naive nature. You still get the OHKO on 252 HP / 64 Def Mega Charizard Y (and Talonflame, obviously). Draco Meteor OHKOs basically all Kyurem-Black variants, which you miss out on while using Dragon Claw. Lastly, when having Earth Power you have a more meaningful way of hitting Heatran which is nice.

Also, I'm not entirely sold on the Aegislash set. I think Aegislash fits in this team but not the current set. Even though you have a better check to Amoonguss and Trick Room without Hoopa-U with Substitute, I still feel like Wide Guard Aegislash fits better. You need both coverage moves and spread attackers, mostly stuff like Heatran and Mega Charizard Y paired up with Trick Room or Tailwind, and you'd really like a 100% Amoonguss switch-in with Safety Goggles.

Thats just what I would do with this team, but it looks like a really nice team, even though it might have its weaknesses here and there. Good luck in DPL! :toast:

Hi n1n10sit :D I used this team like 4-5 times on the ladder about a month ago and stopped after I ran into a Kangaskhan because my counter was...Focus Blast. I'm not entirely sold on melo's special scarf suggestion because you really need to be able to revenge Keldeo and Azumarill if it gets off a Belly Drum. I would defiantly put Roar on Suicune over Snarl as you can get rid of things that would want to sub on you like Kyurem and Aegislash, Belly Drum Azumarill, Kangaskhan wanting to pup, and it can stop Trick Room from going up as well. I feel the only other thing to address is your Aegislash set and what the best fit for the team is or swapping it out for something like Jirachi. I would say make it German Sub Wide Guard but you really do need both of your coverage moves because your Ferro/Kang match up is horrendous and you need to be able to hit both of those. I don't think standard Safety Goggles + Wide Guard is a good choice because that doesn't beat Ferro/Kang especially because you don't have intimidate so Sucker Punch 2HKOs Aegislash. I was thinking of using something like Healing Wish Jirachi because it gives you a guaranteed Spore switch in, makes it safer for Lando/Gard to go for Focus Blast against Ferro/Kang, can switch into aforementioned Ferro/Kang, and can Healing Wish Gard(or anything really) so you can play it more aggressively.

Hope I helped, or gave you some stuff to think about at least. Gl in your dpl game today!

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 132 SpA / 40 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Tailwind

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 100 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Healing Wish
- Follow Me
- Iron Head
- Protect/Icy Wind/Helping Hand + idk anything really

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 232 HP / 100+ Def Jirachi: 109-130 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

88+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 232 HP / 176 SpD Jirachi in Sun: 338-398 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

relevant

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)