UU Playstyles Gen 6: Trick Room

Approved by kokoloko

What is Trick Room?
Trick Room is a move that makes slower pokemon move faster for 5 turns this includes the turn it is used.
Priority moves in Trick Room are unchanged but when both pokemon use priority the slower one moves faster.
Trick Room actually has -7 priority: the lowest priority of any move, lower than roar or whirlwind.
If a pokemon uses Trick Room in Trick Room it actually ends the Trick Room.

Trick Room in Battles
a Trick Room playstyle usually consists of two to four Trick Room Setters, two to three Trick Room Sweepers and sometimes a fast late-game cleaner/revenge killer. Despite the low speed of all the pokemon on a Trick Room team Trick Room is actually a very offensive strategy because a Trick Room team only has 5 turns under Trick Room. Trick Room Setters and pokemon that learn Trick Room and are usually have both offensive and defensive capabilities. For example Cresselia is a defensive setter who uses its high defensive stats to set up Trick Room and pivot to a sweeper. While Victini is an offensive setter who uses the fear of a V-Create to force switches to set up Trick Room. Cofagrigus is somewhere in between since it uses it defensive bulk to set up Trick Room but usually Nasty Plots and attempts to sweep by itself.

Trick Room Sweepers are generally slow and use both coverage and power to sweep. These pokemon usually sweep right off the bat and do not try to boost as Trick Room short time period makes boosting a waste of valuable Trick Room time.

Trick Room has not changed mechanically in Generation 6, but both the pokemon and meta-game around it has changed significantly which significantly affects Trick Room's usability.

New or Improved Trick Room Setters in Gen 6
(In no particular order and ones that are new to UU or changed significantly in gen 6 are bolded)

Meloetta
Claydol
Dusclops
Porygon-2
Slowbro
Victini
Xatu
Bronzong
Mew
Chandelure
Reuniclus
Aromatisse
Slowking
Whimsicott
Celebi
Gardevior
Mega Banette
Uxie
Cresselia
Gallade
Malamar
Cofagrigus
Porygon-Z
Beeheeyem
Gourgeist

Now looking at that list there is a very important note only four pokemon on this list: Porygon2, Porygon-Z, Whimsicott and Aromatisse who are not either psychic or ghost type.

This generation there are couple of new to UU and changed pokemon that I think have potential to be great Trick Room setters.

Reuniclus has taken a hit this generation and has fallen into UU. Reuniclus is often praised as the pokemon that "made Trick Room viable" and it is a major asset to UU Trick Room teams.
Pros of Reuniclus
  • Immunity to Status, Entry Hazards and Life Orb recoil with its ability Magic Guard
  • Powerful STAB psyshock and good coverage with Focus Blast and Shadow Ball
  • Reliable Recovery
  • Excellent 115/75/85 defense
Cons of Reuniclus
  • Mono-Psychic typing is poor defensively
  • Inablity to break through Chansey even with Psyshock unless it carries Calm Mind

(I don't know why two hide tags are showing up)

Aromatisse's Fairy typing is what makes it viable for Trick Room teams as outside of Whimsicott it is the only Trick Room setter that resists dark type moves, so if you like creepy ballerinas you're in for a treat.

Pros of Aromatisse
  • An Excellent Cleric Movepool
  • It's typing resists Dark which helps in protect Ghost and Psychic Trick Room setters
  • Decent physical bulk for a Fairy-Type
  • Is slower than even Slowbro... for some reason
  • Aroma Veil makes it immune to taunt
Cons of Aromatisse
  • Very little offensive presence
  • Teams often carry counters to Florges which are also counters to Aromatisse
  • Only recovery is wish

Gourgeist's physical bulk is immense and its resistance to powerful Earthquakes sets it apart from other Ghost-Type Setters such as Dusclops and Cofagrigus
Pros of Gourgeist
  • Very large physical bulk at 88 hp 122 defense
  • Access to priority shadow sneak
  • Decent base 100 attack
  • Immunity to fighting and resistance to ground
  • Learns Explosion which allows a safe switch into a trick room sweeper
Cons of Gourgeist
  • Prominence of Fire Types in the Tier
  • A poor physical movepool
  • No reliable recovery

Trevenant while facing competition from Gourgeist as a Ghost/Grass trick room setter, Trevenant sets itself apart with its useful abilities and above average base 110 attack stat

Pros of Trevenant
  • Decent Physical Movepool with an above average base 110 attack stat
  • Two good abilities in Harvest and Natural Cure
  • STAB Horn Leech for recovery
Cons of Trevenant
  • Sub-par 85/76/82 Defenses
  • No priority
  • A poor defensive typing in the UU metagame

New or Improved Trick Room Sweepers in Gen 6
Unlike with setters basically any Pokemon with low speed and really high offenses can fit a Trick Room team. I'm only going to list here new Pokemon or Pokemon that have changed in Generation 6.

Mega Evolutions
Trick Room teams in UU have four excellent options for mega-evolutions: Ampharos, Aggron and Abomasnow.

Hail the King in the North. Abomasnow is probably the best mixed Trick Room sweeper in the Metagame.

Pros of Mega Abomasnow
  • 132/132 offenses make it a very powerful mixed sweeper in Trick Room
  • 90/105/105 bulk makes it very difficult to kill as well
  • Access to Recovery with Giga Drain
  • 100% accurate Blizzards
  • 0 IV Abomasnow "outslows" even Slowbro in Trick Room
Cons of Mega-Abomasnow
  • Weakness to stealth rock
  • A poor defensive typing especially in the UU tier

With a beautiful new haircut, Mega-Ampharos is the most powerful special Trick Room sweeper in UU

Pros of Mega Ampharos
  • Powerful Base 165 Special Attack
  • 90/105/110 physical bulk
  • Access to volt switch for easy switching
  • A great defensive typing
Cons of Mega-Ampharos
  • Poor coverage which relies heavily on focus blast
  • No recovery
  • Easily-Countered by Chansey and Florges

Mega Aggron status as walking tank is well established in the UU tier but it can also be a powerful Trick Room sweeper.

Pros of Mega Aggron
  • Base 230 defense makes Aggron very easy to switch in
  • Powerful base 140 attack
  • Good offensive movepool
  • Filter makes Aggron's already good defensive typing great
Cons of Mega Aggron
  • Weakness to special moves is easy to exploit when uninvested
  • a poor offensive typing

Mega Blastoise offers a lot of utility and power for a Trick Room team with Rapid Spin and Mega Launcher's boost to sphere and pulse moves.
Pros of Mega Blastoise
  • Excellent Movepool with lots of coverage
  • Mega Launcher boosted Base 135 special attack
  • Great 79/120/115 Bulk
  • Access to Rapid Spin
Cons of Mega Blastoise
  • High speed at 78 for a Trick Room Sweeper
  • Countered by UU's special walls - Chansey and Florges

Other New or Changed Trick Room Sweepers

Escavalier has gained both Drill Run and Knock Off this generation slightly allieviating its inability to hit steels and fire types. With a powerful 135 attacks stat and STAB Megahorn, Escavalier is a very powerful Trick Room sweeper.

Chestnaught's large physical bulk and decent base 107 attack lets in switch in easily. Chestnaught STABs have excellent coverage backed up by edgequake.

While lacking bulk at 71/88/89 defenses Clawitzer's movepool and powerful ability in Mega Launcher boosted by life orb is very threatening, especially with Clawitzer's phenomenal coverage. Clawitzer can also use Flash Cannon to deal with Florges and has access to U-turn for easy switching.

Pangoro high base 124 attack make STAB hammer arm and crunch very threatening. Pangoro's parting shot is nice relieve pressure on Trick Room setters. Pangoro has three excellent abilities in Mold Breaker, Iron Fist and Scrappy. Pangoro's small movepool leaves it outclassed by Machamp in most cases though.

Exploud has been blessed with STAB Boomburst which along with Scrappy makes Exploud very powerful. Exploud one the few pokemon that can run a choice item in Trick Room because of Boomburst power and coverage in combination with scrappy.
Trick Room place in UU's metagame: Strengths and Weaknesses

Trick Room can be seen as a reactionary strategy that thrives in Offensive matchs and metagames where momentum and speed are emphasized over bulk. UU is according to February Gen 6 simulator statistics is a more balanced metagame. Trick Room teams against balanced teams are usually an even matchup. Trick Room generally has very poor matchups against Stall because Stall can usually handle Trick Room sweepers. Trick Room teams often have to sacrifice almost all utility to keep offensive momentum, so clerics and entry hazards usually cannot fit into a Trick Room team.

So this basically summarizes the Gen 6 changes to UU Trick Room. Feel free to post any pokemon you've used in Trick Room that have been effective or ineffective (With sets too please) or comments on Trick Room in general and its place in the UU metagame.

Last edited:
A pro to Gourgeist that is worth mentioning is access to Explosion. With that move, you can savely bring in your Trick Room Sweeper.

My favorite Pokemon for both setting up and sweeping with Trick Room is

Victini @ Flame Plate/Leftovers/Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Bolt Strike
- V-create
- Focus Blast/Final Gambit
- Trick Room

Set up Trick Room,, then spam V-create so Victini will move faster every turn. Bolt Strike can 2HKO Suicune and Slowbro with an Expert Belt. Focus Blast is for Hydreigon and Mega Houndoom; it seems strange to not use Brick Break, but Focus Blast hits them harder even with no Special Attack investment. Or you could end your sweep with Final Gambit.

Dazzling Gleam is an option to hit a couple of Dragons harder, but you're not 1HKOing Hydreigon with it and Kyurem and Latias are hit harder by V-create.

Last edited:
Ahh, yay! I love this thread, let me just start off. Trick Room is a very fun way to play and not a lot of teams are prepared to take them on. I love Aromatisse, I didn't think it was special, I was oh so wrong. This thing can get off a Trick Room unless it is killed, then just be a fast Pokemon and aid its team.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Trick Room is a pretty viable strategy, and I want to talk about one Pokemon in particular: Mega Ampharos.

Now, Mega Ampharos has really low Speed; base 45 to be exact. The bulk is a thing, but more importantly is Ampharos's defensive typing. Yeah, I know Electric/Dragon is good offensively, but it fits amazingly on Trick Room teams defensively. You can use Slowbro and Slowking to setup TR and Ampharos can easily come in on Grass- and Electric-type moves that threaten them while it can Volt Switch back to them when TR runs out as they can come in on Ice-type moves Ampharos dislikes. What's more is its synergy with Escavalier, arguably the best physical abuser of Trick Room. Escavalier resists Dragon- and Fairy-type moves while Ampharos resists Fire. I can't tell you how important Volt Switch is as this lets Ampharos deal damage and still switch out! Even though you're switching out, you cause damage to not waste a turn of Trick Room. As mediocre as Ampharos's special movepool is, you've got everything you need in 4 moves. STAB Volt Switch, 2 reliable STAB moves (Thunderbolt and Dragon Pulse) and a coverage move to deal with things that can take Thunderbolt or Dragon Pulse such as Mega Aggron. Speaking of Mega Aggron, Ampharos trashes it. The OP says Mold Breaker is useless. Far from it. You can use Volt Switch without fear of something like Manectric or Jolteon taking nothing and killing momentum on a dime. It allows Ampharos to trash Mega Aggron through Filter with Focus Blast. Sure, Mega Ampharos is hard countered by Chansey and Florges, but you can Volt Switch as they come in and send Escavalier after them. Honestly, if I'm using a Mega for a Trick Room team, Mega Ampharos is going to be my first choice if I need a special attacker to balance things out. Even if I don't, I'd still probably use Mega Ampharos over Mega Aggron for the synergy Mega Ampharos has with Trick Room setters and one of the primary physical Trick Room sweepers.

Xatu really shouldn't be underestimated as a TR user in the slightest. As a UU Trick Room veteran I can say that Xatu is a HUGE help against Stall. It's really your only insurance against those teams: if it goes down and your opponent has a decently built team, then you're gonna lose. Simple as that. It also got Knock Off this gen, which makes it an even better switchin against Chansey. It's a given that HO teams are a snack for Trick Room, so you want to focus on having the best matchup possible against defensive teams as those have no trouble stalling out TR turns and setting up all kinds of hazards while you're struggling to keep TR up.

Here's my team which performed really well last gen, even against Stall. Just to give some inspiration and promote TR which is a really underrated playstyle (also Rhyperior is a beast :] )

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

Cofagrigus (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

(Rhyperior) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SDef
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

Victini @ Leftovers
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Trick Room
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Grass Knot

Xatu (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic

Although I've only piloted some very half-arsed TR builds in UU, I have to say its a fun strategy when it works and it really feels rewarding knowing you have such a major trump card against HO builds and such.

Unfortunately, I have grave fears for TR this gen in UU. To me, there are several threats that seems extremely difficult, if not outright impossible to deal with for this build, I'll list what I think to be 3 major threats
-Mega Houndoom: With its quality STAB coverage and lack of slow resists to its typing, megadoom makes it very hard to reset TR, much less any answer coming into play to deal with it. The only pokemon that TR could viably run that deals with megahoundoom is...emboar...which is probably not on the top of the ideal TR candidates list.
-SD Heracross: This variant in particular seems impossible for TR to deal with in any sense of the word. Courtesy of the knock off buff, not even OTR cofagrigus can deal with it anymore (its not even a safe check to banded heracross either). The only way around it is with a late-game scarfed cleaner of some sort.
-Crawdaunt: Frail as all hells, but once TR has to be reset, well I don't see anything to deal with it outside of maybe chesnaught, who can still be 2HKO'd by aerial ace, and doesn't offer that much to TR to begin with (TR needs much harder hitters than whatever base attack chesnaught has). Mega-Ampharos could also check it, but it loses a lot of power to do so since it would need a physically defensive spread rather than an offensive one (either that or your sacking pokemon to get M-ampharos safely in)

If anything, these threats in particular suggest one of two options for TR this gen in UU. You either need a win condition outside TR (such as a fast choice scarf user which doesn't die to aqua jet), or alternatively, a sort of fail-safe TR setter. To give you an idea, this was a particular gimmick I ran last gen.

Sigilyph @ Focus Sash
Magic Guard
Quiet
252 HP, 252 SPA, 4 SPD
IV's : 0 SPE
-Whirlwind
-Trick Room
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball

Obviously it was a terrible set in terms of attacking, but it did what I wanted it to do which was serve as an emergency stops to sweepers who would take advantage of me having to reset TR, either by one chance at guaranteed phazing, or setting TR. Fortunately this gen we have a better option in reuniclus to do this (who has the benefit of hitting much harder)

This all being said, don't be too put off by gimmicky sets for TR either. Innovation is key for this team type, especially this gen as its a team type that is badly hurt by the dark buff overall, given most setters of TR are weak to dark.

Imo this gen TR has some really scary offensive options in Mega Abomasnow and Crawdaunt, and both have STAB pirority moves to deal with the decay of TR that could potentially end their sweep. They share the similarity of having good STAB combo, a movepool vast enough to abuse their offensive power and the ability to go mixed to overcome hurdles that would wall them cold otherwise. Even with just 2-3 turns of TR to work with they can still wipe teams clean easily after Mega Evolving and SDing respectively. They are also ridiculuoisly hard to revenge kill under TR as your typical scarfed revenge killer will be rendered slower, and their typing makes them only weak to pirority in Mach Punch (both) and Bullet Punch (M.Abomasnow), of which the former only has a short list of notable users in UU and the latter is often unSTABed and Abomasnow has the bulk to eat one up usually.

Sorry I haven't responded to this thread recently it kinda got lost in the shuffle. EonX you're right about mold breaker on Ampharos as being able to go through Mega-Aggron's Filter is excellent though honestly compared to abilities other megas got it is underwhelming I'll remove it as negative though. I admittedly haven't used Amph enough because I usually prefer Eelektross for his very versatile mixed stats and movepool. I also completely agree about Escavalier being an amazing Trick Room sweeper as he has just the right tools to be capable in that role this gen.

The changes to the banlist haven't really added many new setters or sweepers except for Trevanant who I am going to add to the OP, as well as removing any references to Chansey.

Aromatisse really sparks my interest as a Trick Room setter. It, like Porygon2, are one of the better Trick Roomers that are also not Psychic- or Ghost-typed, like Trick Roomers usually are. It also has a fantastic typing to boot, being Fairy. Aside from this, Aromatisse also has a fantastic support movepool, with Wish, Heal Bell and status.

Another Trick Roomer that has potential to be UU this gen is Diancie. Many players doubt Diancie will stay OU, given it has a pretty bad typing in the OU metagame. However, in UU, it's typing isn't too bad, as there aren't many popular Steel-types, like OU has. (I made this smaller because theorymon woo)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Most Special Attacking Trick Room sweepers got a huge boon with Chansey leaving. Mega Ampharos gains a huge benefit since there's now only a single special wall that reliably beats it (Florges) since Focus Blast trashes M-Aggron and Umbreon. Escavalier also gained quite a bit since physically defensive Zapdos was actually a reliable switch-in due to the fact it resists Escavalier's STAB combination and had Roost to stay in good health. Chesnaught got more viable with Latias and Zapdos leaving the tier. It and Escavalier do have Forretress to contend with though which will cost TR turns since Esca and Naught can't break Forretress very quickly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)