Other UU - Zoroark + Shedinja

/Intro
Yo, I've been playing UU for a couple weeks and wanted to share my team after changing it up based around Zoroark and Shedinja. I'm inexperienced in competitive Pokemon, but I've been learning from my mistakes/losses and changing the team up based on them. I know that Shedinja isn't considered good due to any indirect damage getting past his Wonder Guard, but I want to try and make him work and Illusion can help out a little.

/Team

Zoroark | Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Timid nature
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot
- U-Turn / Nasty Plot
I know this was even mentioned as a bad reason, but he really is my favorite Pokemon. Shedinja was added in to try and force a switch or get the opponent to use a move to take out Shedinja. Now I started out using a Sash + Nasty Plot set, but with the introduction of a wish Pokemon I opted for Orb + U-Turn instead; however, attacking whilst disguised as Shedinja will instantly let my opponent know it's Zoroark. Flamethrower and Grass Knot are simply there to act as coverage moves, I am considering Hidden Power Water/Ice and Focus Miss to replace Flamethrower and Grass Knot to give coverage against Shedinja's weaknesses.

Shedinja | Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
Adamant nature
- Shadow Sneak
- X-Scissor
- Toxic
- Substitute

I've always thought that Shedinja was neat and with Zoroark in the team my opponent has to question whether their move won't even leave a scratch or reveal the Zoroark. Admittedly Shedinja has a lackluster moveset and stats, but he can still prove useful even if it's just as a Zoroark disguise. He usually gets outsped, so a Toxic on the switch out or a Shadow Sneak tends to be all he gets off before having the sash broken. Substitute at least gives him another chance since it doesn't faint em anymore. As much as I love Shedinja and his neat ability, I'm open to suggestions on a possible replacement that will likely serve as Zoroark bait.

Porygon-Z | Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Hp / 4 Spe
Modest nature
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Magic Coat

I love this duck and tend to use him as my lead, usually starting off with Magic Coat if I think the opponent is going to status or set a hazard. I know that Z-Conversion is good, but Electric + Thunderbolt didn't work out too well for me and using Ice + Ice Beam leaves too many weaknesses that I tend to see such as Bisharp and Keldeo. Speaking of which, this movepool allows near perfect coverage with the exception of Tyranitar and Bisharp. Psyshock is in the movepool due to most of my team being special attackers and to try and counter fighting pokemon, like that jerk Keldeo. :c Overall he does hit pretty hard, usually taking out at least 1 pokemon, and having a wish pokemon helps keeping him in the battle due to not using Paint Split / Recover. I am willing to change Porygon-Z despite liking him for the good of the team.

Delphox | Power Herb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Hp / 4 Spe
Modest nature
- Mystical Fire
- Future Sight
- Solar Beam
- Will-O-Wisp

Okay now I really find this set fun. I can use Mystical Fire to do a nice amount of damage and weaken special attackers until they switch out or I can burn attackers, like Keldeo, to cripple them throughout the battle. Future Sight is a really neat move since I can try to force my opponent to swap to a Psychic, Dark, or Steel type and have Zoroark swoop in and take them out. Solar Beam is the entire reasoning for the ability and item since I get a 1 turn Solar Beam and steal the item.

Mega Blastoise | Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 Hp / 184 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest nature
- Hydro Pump
- Aura Sphere
- Dragon Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Due to having Shedinja I have to include a pokemon with Rapid Spin or Defog. The pokemon holding that role has changed a bit since it started as Claydol, switched to Armaldo, tried out Kabutops, and now its Mega Blastoise. This is the standard "Offensive Spinner" set from Smogon, but with the moveset providing coverage where I need it. Aura Sphere covers Shedinja's Rock and Steel typing weakness and Dragon Pulse just give more Dragon coverage than Sylveon. I may want to switch to a defogger to clear weather as well as spikes/stealth rocks.

Sylveon | Leftovers
Ability: Pixiliate
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Calm nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Nothing particularly special about this set, just a standard cleric Sylveon. I did previously run a cleric Vaporeon with Toxic instead of Protect and Hydro Pump, but I replaced em with Sylveon after adding Mega Blastoise to avoid 2 pure water types and to add more Fighting, Dragon, and Dark type coverage for both Zoroark and Shedinja's sakes.

/End
I know that there's some noticeable flaws within my team such as the lack of attackers and too many special attackers, or that it's Shedinja based. I do hope to see some suggestions on how to better my team with Zoroark though! c:

--edit--
I just remembered that substitute just fails on Shedinja, RIP :c

Last edited:
The best porygon-z set in this metagame is
Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Conversion
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
Because a z-conversion is +1 in every stat, making this a good late-game cleaner. Be careful of special walls (don't autolose to stall).
Could this work?
Zoroark @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
You said you had a problem with too few attackers. Zoroark can go physical.

The best porygon-z set in this metagame is
Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Conversion
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
Because a z-conversion is +1 in every stat, making this a good late-game cleaner. Be careful of special walls (don't autolose to stall).
Could this work?
Zoroark @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
You said you had a problem with too few attackers. Zoroark can go physical.
Honestly;y I didn't think of changing Porygon-Z to a ghost type giving it a nice defensive typing and maybe luring out threats to Shedinja, with all those Speed EVs and a Speed boosting nature maybe I could even replace ice beam or thudnerbolt with recover. Worth trying out at least.

I also overlooked physical Zoroark just because of the slightly lower Attack despite his only priority move being physical. In addition to that Swords Dance is a lot more inconspicuous than Nasty Plot or any other move, can Swords Dance Shedinjas even make it through Pokebank though? I knwo this team is on showdown and my Shedinja doesn't run it, but I'm a little curious.

Shedinja cannot make it through pokebank, but this is UU beta, not gen 7 OU (non-bank). You will probably need ice beam and thunderbolt for coverage, though.

Nalei

strong, wild garbage
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So shedinja is interesting... Imo it's pretty much mandatory to rub a magic bouncer when using shedinja, so I'd recommend dropping delphox for espeon (maybe a scarf or specs set?) For your last slot on shedinja, I'd recommend baton pass for pivoting as that's shedinja main niche or using protect go scout for attacks that could ko you.

Last edited:
So shedinja is interesting... Imo it's pretty much mandatory to rub a magic bouncer when using shedinja, so I'd recommend dropping delphox for espeon (maybe a scarf or specs set?) For your last slot on shedinja, I'd recommend baton pass for pivoting as that's shedinja main niche or using protect go scout for attacks that could ko you.
Late reply since my last psot didn't get through.
I like Shedinja and the idea of using illusion to force a swap, but I haven't had much luck with actually using Shedinja and it requires a little too much dedication towards him for my liking since I'd prefer the center of attention to be Zoroark. Your advice to use a Magic Bouncer like Espeon or even Mega Absol (Mega Sableye if I decided to change it to OU), I will try it out again, but I'm also trying to put together a new team.
Also I might want to wait and see if Baton Pass will be unbanned in UU Doubles at some point to make Shedinja a little more useful.

Shedinja isn't good in UU doubles either due to the proliferation of heat wave. Yes, status moves and entry hazards are less common, but that doesn't mean shedinja is better (stall is not a good idea in doubles and someone will probably have coverage for shedinja).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)