• Power-Up Punch
  • Zen Headbutt
  • V-Create
  • Blue Flare
  • Final Gambit
  • Trick
  • Grass Knot
Abilities:
Victory Star: This Pokemon and its allies' moves have their accuracy multiplied by 1.1.

Analysis: Victini, while possibly the cutest legendary Pokemon, is one of the most diverse as well. Its solid typing is amazing for checking the likes of powerful Mega Pokemon including Gardevoir & Metagross. Victini's ability help it out immensely by about 11%, which is a huge boon to it, as its movepool consists of several low accuracy moves, including it's signature move, V-Create. With base 100 stats across the board, Victini becomes one of the most unpredictable Pokemon in the game, being able to run Physical, Special, Mixed, Stall-breaker & several other sets, the opponent will always be kept on their toes. However, having its health cut by 25% by Stealth Rock & having weaknesses to common attacking types, including Water, Ghost, and Dark prevent Victini from staying out on the field for long. On the contrary, Victini's powerful moves can definitely tear a hole in an opponents team if they're not careful.

Potential Movesets:

"Choice Band"
Victini @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Zen Headbutt / Brick Break
- U-turn

This has been one of Victini's main sets since its introduction in XY. With a Choice Band equipped, Victini is capable of tearing holes in the opponents team using its extremely powerful STAB & very useful coverage pool. V-Create is the crux of the set, nuking just about everything with STAB combined with a Choice Band, reaching ridiculous amounts of power, even 2HKOing frailer resists. Bolt Strike is for taking out bulky Water type Pokemon that resist V-Create. Zen Headbutt is a secondary STAB move mainly taking out Mega Charizard X, but Brick Break can be used to hit Heatran and Tyranitar harder. U-Turn is used ease prediction & get solid damage on Tyranitar on the switch.

"Substitute"
Victini @ Leftovers
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Power-Up Punch

Substitute is an excellent move for Victini, allowing to avoid status moves while also easing prediction & punishes switch-ins. Power-Up Punch is the crux of this set, boosting the power of V-Create to obscenely powerful levels. V-Create is once again the STAB move of choice, best being used after a Power-Up Punch to 2HKO or even 2HKO potential switch-ins. Bolt Strike nicely compliments V-Create by once again taking on bulky Water types.

"Stallbreaker"
Victini @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk / 68 Def / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- V-create
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bolt Strike

With solid resistances to common attacking types such as Fairy, Fighting, Psychic, and Steel, this Victini set excels at breaking down common Stall builds. Taunt is an excellent move, being able to debilitate set up sweepers, hazard setters & especially walls, essentially breaking down Stall teams. V-Create once again does staggeringly high damage to most bulky Pokemon, even with a little bit of investment. Will-O-Wisp is the absolute key to success on this set, as it can easily spread burns to the entire team, wearing them down for Victinis teammates to break through later in the game. Bolt Strikes coverage nails the likes of non Earth Power Heatran, Mega Charizard Y, and Rotom-W.

"Special Lure"
Victini @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature / Naughty Nature
- Blue Flare / V-Create
- Thunder
- Glaciate
- Focus Blast

When most people see Victini, they immediately thing a STAB V-Create is coming right at them. However, with its excellent Special move-pool, Victini can surprise the opponent with a well timed attack. Blue Flare, which gets a boost from 85% to 93% with Victory Star is an excellent STAB move for hitting special walls trying to take a V-Create. V-Create itself can be used for a nuke, hitting several opponents hard, being boosted by a Naughty Nature. Thunder swiftly eliminates the likes of bulky Water types such as Alomomola, Azumarill, Keldeo, and Slowbro. Glaciate catches Dragon type Pokemon on the switch & the Speed drop is extremely beneficial to Victini's team. Focus Blast easily eliminates Heatran & non Scarf Tyranitar thanks to being boosted to 77% accuracy with Victory Star.

"Choice Scarf"
Victini @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Final Gambit / Zen Headbutt

With a Choice Scarf equipped, Victini becomes a fantastic revenge killer with powerful moves despite not being equipped with a boosting move. V-Create as per usual is the STAB move of the set, doing copious amounts of damage to anything that doesn't resist it & thanks to Choice Scarf, the Speed drop is not as important. Bolt Strike perfectly synergizes with V-Create revenge killing Water types, including Mega Gyarados that are slightly weakened. U-Turn is amazing for scouting switches as well as keeping momentum. Final Gambit is an amazing move, crippling defensive Pokemon by taking 341 HP of their health. Zen Headbutt is a nice STAB to hit faster Fighting types such as Keldeo. If desired, Trick is an option for crippling defensive Pokemon, such as Chansey.

Conclusion:
Victini may have not changed much from the generation transition, but it somehow manages to stand tall against most of the OU meta. Exactly how effective is Victini in ORAS? What is / are it's best set / sets?

Last edited:
Victini is certainly an underrated threat in the current meta; it both fits well and has a good matchup with Bulky Offense, currently the arguably best and most popular playstyle right now. With Spikes support, you only need to dance around a little bit before Tini can start racking up KO's left and right. The Band set is pretty much THE definition of instant power, even OHKOing some resists(!), meaning that if you somehow manage to get it in, chances are, you're putting yourself into a better position than you were in before. The Substitute and Stallbreaker sets I actually haven't seen in use, so I can't comment on those. The special lure set retains a powerful V-Create (I wouldn't run Blue Flare, the ability to go mixed allows a lot more breathing room IMO), and does a fantastic job of catching teams by surprise. The Scarf set is, IMO, the most splashable set, as even though V-Create is 2HKOing instead of OHKOing, it still does an obscene amount; a base speed of 100 is also great, being able to outspeed all Scarfers bar Keldeo, Garchomp, and Latios. It could even go mixed (I'm mainly thinking Glaciate) with the Scarf if you want to; it outspeeds and OHKOs Lando-I, and I'm pretty sure it does a solid amount to defensive landog, if not outright KOing.

However, the fact that it's grounded (tech balloon imo) and that it's weak to SR makes it hard to fit onto individual teams. It's base 100 speed doesn't really help either, only really mitigated by careful play or a Scarf. It's also very punishable, being able to be Pursuit-trapped by TTar (barring the Special Lure set, if it predicts and actually hits FB), and giving free turns to anything that can outspeed (which is common due to V-Create's Speed drop), KO, and/or survive an attack.

tl;dr it's a great mon if you can find room to use it, but there's a reason it's B+

252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria: 186-219 (60.5 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Mega Altaria in Sun: 279-328 (90.8 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Now that I have your attention, I'll get started. I'm kinda surprised Victini doesn't get more love. CB is an amazing wallbreaker and can get some good damage on even bulky stuff. It could even work pretty well alongside Mega Charizard Y as a dual wallbreaker core, especially with sun jacking up the power of V-create. Just watch out for rocks. Bolt Strike is a great complement, as it hits Water types and such. I've also seen the stallbreaker set used to good effect, and even the special set to surprise stuff expecting to tank a V-create (not that a lot of them not named Heatran can).

I think the Defensive Victini set definitely deserves mention. Checks/Counters lots of fairies and non-EQ Mega-Metagross, which is really quite nice, and can even stallbreak if you run Taunt.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Throwing in my support for Defensive Victini. WoW + Taunt is a really cool stallbreaking combination, and a defensive spread let's you counter stuff such as Mega Metagross, special Mega Altaria, Clefable, Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, Mega Gardevoir. Will-O-Wisp is a really cool option to hit Tyranitar switch-ins with, and prevents Sucker Punch mindgames with Bisharp. WoW + Taunt + Bolt Strike + V-Create is what I usually run, but there are other cool options such as Glaciate and U-turn which work as well. Good work as always Ciel n_n

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
The best set, imo, is 4-attack life orb.

Something like V-create, fusion bolt, glaciate, zen headbutt/grass knot is absurdly hard to switch into. It catches people very easily because of the surprising power and coverage (glaciate), and it can tear holes in a team like nothing, especially early game.

There are a few little bugs here and there, like victini is actually psychic/fire, I think, you said something about a special wall tanking V-Create, etc.

Anyways, I love victini- The fact that it is B+ is kinda weird to me. It has a huge movepool, good stats all around, and the most powerful move the doesn't kill you as well in the entire game. I really like to play a set of V-create, U-turn, bolt strike, and glaciate. Especially w/ something to pass it a sub. It is capable of doing serious damage to a lot of stuff, and glaciate lets you lure stuff like chomp and gliscor and then out speed and 2hko them. Also, It's hard to explain this situation, but I'm going to try, it can help to prevent revenge killing. Here's how

Turn 1:
Pass Vic a sub

Turn 2:
V-create and ko whatever they send in

Turn 3:
They send in revenge killer to take advantage of your lowered speed- break sub, glaciate lowers speed

Turn 4:
Finish it w/ whatever move is best for the situation.

Obviously, that's on paper, and it doesn't always work like that, but it's not hard to set it up so victini gets 2 kills like that. This can happen multiple times against unprepared teams. V-create is just so stupid strong, if you can pass it a sub to hide behind, it will break up teams really well. I just love how it punishes switch-ins. And walls that think they can do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)