Waytoo the Top (8): an Atlanta Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
i might be a smogon nobody but i showed up anyway seeing as its not that long a drive. i first started caring about the VGCs about a month ago when i heard there was a regional in my town this year. So i spent a week or so planning then another testing on a VGC server battle sim (under the Russian alias Wavtu) and finally i spent this week getting things ready in game.

Now the stuff you care about, the team:

Quagsire@Leftovers
(Water Absorb)
Bold 252 HP 252 SP Atk
-Toxic
-Recover
-Protect
-Icy Wind

it started as a kyogre check but then i added icy wind...
it hits both opponents and lowers speed and best of all no one expected it

Zapdos@Charti Berry
Bold...i forget but some big investment in bulkiness with a little speed
-Discharge
-Heat Wave
-Detect
-Roost

gets some synergy with quag, and after an icy wind or two alternating detect and roost can stall pretty well

Mewtwo@Expert Belt
Timid 252 Sp Atk 252 Spd
-Grass Knot
-Aura Sphere
-Ice Beam
-Protect

more or less what youd expect with protect

Dialga@Sitrus Berry
Modest 240HP 252 Sp Atk 16 Spd
-Aura Sphere
-Thunder
-Flamethrower
-Dragon Pulse

again almost standard with enough speed to beat other dialgas and a few slower things. sitrus helped me more than i thought with dialgas bulk

unfortunately i didnt save any battles...anyway here goes

Round 1: faced a casual player i talked to in line...nothing interesting
4-0

Round 2: this guy seemed to know a bit more and i remember toxicroak and palkia. my team doesnt like toxicroaks but at some point it dawned on me that i had PP stalled him out of Sucker Punch and then i finished up
3-0 i think

Round 3: so, remember one of the in-game trades where you can get a kadabra? i think it was named Kazza and i think my round 3 opponent was using it. so he led with psychic...and followed next turn with..psybeam?
4-0

Round 4:another palkia-kyogre team (man these things are popular) luck smiled on me because at one point i got frozen...and then thawed next turn
3-0

so i was the last finalist to qualify partly because i was in the back of the line and partly because this team is less offensively inclined. after a short break we were on to the finals

Finals Round 1: this was a matt (mattj?) and he wasnt bad zapdos got a paralyze that helped and saw another palkia
3-0 again

Finals Round 2: anoooother palkia-kyogre team from what i remember the important key part was when mewtwo who already had taken a hit survived an ice shard to KO palkia when it was 2-2
2-0

Finals Round 3: palkia-kyogre (sensing a theme?) the difference being me not switching quagsire when i shouldve and taking a grass knot early on, without that things were against me and things went downhill from there on
this was the son of the father son duo (the Arnold family?)
0-2

im quite happy for a first VGC and may go to the nationals, i havent decided yet. it was pretty fun because 3 of my battles were on the screens and at some point someone was hosting the japanese movie arceus on wireless and i snagged one before the VGC people shut it down
gg everybody

PS you may have seen me, i was the white guy with the fro and metroid shirt

Hey! You're the one who stopped me from reaching the top 8! Haha, but it was fun. By the way my team was not a Palkia-Kyogre team and I still can't believe that Mewtwo (which was already in the red) is bulky enough to survive that Ice Shard. I like your unique lead by the way.

thanks and whoops, all the palkias sort of ran together, im glad i didnt kick you out of getting into nationals though. are you gonna go?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Excellent read Waytoo, but it was another matt in Finals round 1 lol. I wish we would have talked. :( Maybe at nats?

Excellent read Waytoo, but it was another matt in Finals round 1 lol. I wish we would have talked. :( Maybe at nats?
ill hit you up if i go for sure, like i said i still havent decided
one more win and they wouldve paid for me to go...

thanks and whoops, all the palkias sort of ran together, im glad i didnt kick you out of getting into nationals though. are you gonna go?
Actually things are really working out well for me. Since my cousin made it to the top 8 in the junior division my aunt is willing to travel up to Indianapolis to allow her to participate in the nationals. Because of that it is very likely that I'm going to be at nationals as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)