Social Where did you heard of Smogon from

it must've been 2007 or 2008, I was active in a few other forums (psypokes, serebii) and I was hearing of smogon as the place for competitive battling and movesets and stuff, albeit with a snarky and less-than-welcoming community. I've been mostly lurking ever since

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Shoddy Battle existed back then and Smogon had the biggest Shoddy Battle server, back then no one was doing Tiering except Smogon so Smogon essentially became the official tiering leader because back then no one wanted to ban Garchomp even though it was absurd. Smogon had the best tournaments around so that's where I initially heard of them.

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
I actually "accidentally" found this site when I was hardcore grinding Radical Red (I'm cracked at the game) when I was looking up Blissey stats. I'm pretty new ngl, if you call 5 months new that is, and I'm actaully enjoying Smogon more than I touch grass (except when I'm swimming.)

I found it hidden in a legendary scroll from the highest peaks of mt everest while trekking through th -

Yeah it wasn't that impressive. If I heard it before my answer I'm giving, it's because I don't remember. Would've been from Lobby on Pokemon Showdown.

first I ever heard of it was prob just off of some analysis of a mon through the Showdown command for it but I wouldnt be able to recall which

earliest memory of finding out Smogon was I lost my password back in like 2020, went to the Help room about it and they told me to appeal for a password change on Smogon so i basically discovered it for the first time then trying to get Le'Depression back

earliest memory of finding out Smogon was I lost my password back in like 2020, went to the Help room about it and they told me to appeal for a password change on Smogon
To be honest, I wonder how many people have gone through this same scenario lmao, it's a frequent enough question in help where I'd say some people hear about smogon for the first time from there pretty damn consistently

The first time I have heard about Smogon was around 2022, where I was looking for a guide on how to properly play a nuzlocke, and I just stumbled upon the website by accident.

I find it pretty fascinating that others have a similar story.

back then no one wanted to ban Garchomp even though it was absurd.
I would like to retroactively apologize for arguing in gen 4 that Garchomp was balanced and shouldn't be banned, and that Smogon was a bunch of "ban Nazis" for trying to do so. I was wrong. I was so so wrong. I have since learned to love the Smogon bans.

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader
Heard about Smogon around 2015 or 2016 with a YouTuber called Fildrong. He keeps doing amazing content on YouTube about competitive Pokemon and he's definitely someone that has inspired many, MANY players to start competitive Pokemon in the French community. So yeah, thank you Fildrong :bellipog:

Like 4 years ago, when I was 10 or 11, I had loosely heard of smogon from a youtube video on pokemon (the autism was flaring up that month). About 4 years later I had started getting into singles on Showdown and I was looking at the smogon pokedex when I saw the forum. I clicked the button, made an account, and made like 1 comment on something. A couple months later I started posting here a lot more after I got banned from a discord server I talked on a lot because one of the mods was powertripping (fuck you t***z) and anyways i've made over 200 posts in the past 2 months (that's an average of 3.5 posts per day) but you guys all seem nice so i'll be sticking around for a while hopefully.

Bella

Lighterless
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
One time when i was 7 in a public library i got bored from doing schoolwork and decided to use the public library pcs. Decided to search up "Pokemon games" on those PC and stumbled onto PS! I ended up playing PS by myself for a while until i learned from this guy on PS or something that there was a Website called Smogon where they had tours and stuff. So i joined it and fast foward to now im still here.

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
I used to play randbats on showdown. I saw an announcement for a randbats tournament and decided to sign up. Created my smogon account and got knocked out in r1. Stopped playing showdown a while after that, but came back when dlc1 was released. Then I started being on smogon again after the release of dlc2 iirc.

Searched 'pokemon online game' some time back in 2020, found Showdown. Made a few teams while being completely clueless about viability and tiers, was clueless about EVs and IVs even. Lost like 80% of all my battles. Then I discovered the little 'Smogon analysis' link in the EVs page, clicked on it, and used the strategy dex for a while before discovering the forums, lurking on it for a while, and eventually joining.

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Like many people, I got locked on PS and needed an account at the time to appeal said lock. I would not be surprised if one of Smogon’s largest membership drivers was PS locks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)