XY UU Beta Research Week #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This set destroys Zygarde. What defensive core were you using that was otherwise Zygarde-weak (I'm curious)?
I was getting hit hard by EQs and Outrages for my other walls (It could overpower Florges on occasion, which was a cause of warning for me) and it could blow past my Celebi (and many of my other defensive mons) if I let it set up.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright I finally got around to do a bit of laddering and I have my proof of fresh alt:

Now, Mew has been a pain in the ass to try to figure out what to do with. I initially started testing on another account and used a support set with knock off as the only attacking move. This more or less turned into death fodder most of the time. Then I attempted to emulate the Celebi set that worked really well on my UU team that I used last week. I ran Psychic, Aura Sphere, U-Turn, and Recover. This worked much better than the Defog set that I ran prior but still didn't seem to be doing much other than check Nidoking pretty well and catch some Dark-Types on the switch. Finally I settled on a pretty standard set

Mew
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Nature: Calm (+SpD -Atk)
Moves:
Psychic
Will-O-Wisp
U-Turn
Recover

By using this set I finally had a much needed steady source of burn which was just too unreliable with only Scald on the team. This set excels at forcing switches and crippling potential switch-ins. It still feels almost like an inferior Celebi since it removes a way to deal with Swampert on my team but it still survives and also checks Nidoking which I really struggled with prior to the change.

Currently sitting at 15-4 with a couple hax losses so thus far the team is working out pretty well. Will post back later with some more results.

Reporting Day 2&3

So as I said before, Mega Amphy is a beast. It still is. And it works great with CB Durant. but those two 'mons don't make a team. So I played around with other teammembers but every time it ended up not being good. Which is why I'm at 24-17 now. Sooo yea...
I have put a good team together now however, and I think I'm going to use an old alt of mine.

Allright, time to restart if I am allowed to n.n

Oh heads up, but signups are closed now. Thursday night is the last day to submit rankings, so be sure to do that. As it did last time, the thread will remain open until midday Saturday / whenever I get to closing it, so be sure to keep discussion flowing.

Oh heads up, but signups are closed now. Thursday night is the last day to submit rankings, so be sure to do that. As it did last time, the thread will remain open until midday Saturday / whenever I get to closing it, so be sure to keep discussion flowing.
Oh okay.
Well then I shall get to 50-17.

So anyways, on the topic 'bout Mega Amphy.
That bulk is amazing, but it gets worn down throughout the match. So having something that can pass wishes like Florges or Chansey or something will help it out alot, like Brobat stated a few posts above. But it shouldn't be that hard to obtain those wishes since you can simply switch in on a resisted hit anyway. Furthermore it really appreciates Thunderwave suppeort so it can actually outspeed some major threats like Nidoking and Hydreigon.

But the most troublesome thing for me has to be finding something that can take both Ice and Ground moves reliably, since they have very good offensive coverage together actually. Durant and Escavalier are good options, but don't resist ground moves and Durant has shit special bulk. So I just went for Florges+Porygon2 as defensive backbone.

Don't let those few cons disappoint you from using Mega Amphabulous, however, as it is still a pretty amazing mon to use.

I'm interested to hear about the other research options; what they're good at and what not and what good partners for them are.

Oh okay.
Well then I shall get to 50-17.

So anyways, on the topic 'bout Mega Amphy.
That bulk is amazing, but it gets worn down throughout the match. So having something that can pass wishes like Florges or Chansey or something will help it out alot, like Brobat stated a few posts above. But it shouldn't be that hard to obtain those wishes since you can simply switch in on a resisted hit anyway. Furthermore it really appreciates Thunderwave suppeort so it can actually outspeed some major threats like Nidoking and Hydreigon.

But the most troublesome thing for me has to be finding something that can take both Ice and Ground moves reliably, since they have very good offensive coverage together actually. Durant and Escavalier are good options, but don't resist ground moves and Durant has shit special bulk. So I just went for Florges+Porygon2 as defensive backbone.

Don't let those few cons disappoint you from using Mega Amphabulous, however, as it is still a pretty amazing mon to use.

I'm interested to hear about the other research options; what they're good at and what not and what good partners for them are.

I've tried RestTalk Amphy in the past with Charge Beam and Dragon Pulse, which is actually pretty good, if you don't like using Wish.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Sadly I was kinda lazy with laddering on my alt but I figured I'd turn in and stop while I was ahead since tonight's the last day to submit scores. The rating's nothing to write home about but going 18-0 with it is pretty cool, I guess. I did some laddering with it on my main as well but I'm not sure of how many games...

Anyway, as stated above I was using the Mega Ampharos set I listed (still unsure whether to pack Focus Miss or Signal Beam), and overall am still impressed at how viable a 'mon it proved to be in UU.

Love SSJ3 Ampharos! Its typing is really good for this UU metagame. Set Ive been running is pure physical Defense:

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def/20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The 20 Speed EVs are to outspeed Hippodown, which can be gamebreaking and kind of a huge deal when you can get a guarenteed 3HK0. Here is one battle video I have. I have tons more just keep forgetting to save them.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-95691251

Whoo managed to get to 40-24
...Not that it matters now the Rank submissions are closed but it feels like an acomplishment.

Anyway I found that Slowbro and Florges are good additions to the core of Amphy+Durant by providing some bulk and Status. I run Toxic to poop on set-up sweepers and walls but you can go for Twave so Amphy outspeeds stuff, and Wish and Aromatherapy since both get worn down a tad too quickly imo and Durant is Status bait as fuck (WoW and Twave everywhere!) albeit being immune to Toxic.

Real life happened so I couldn't ladder much...and even then I'm completely new to the UU scene, so I was out of my element! (One loss was to a Heliolisk purely because I had no idea what it did! :V ) Forgive me for being bad. I hope to improve!

I used Specs Kyurem for my short battling spree:

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Hits like an absolute monster. Threatens things like M-Blastoise that want to absorb an Ice Beam with crazy strong Draco Meteors (252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Blastoise: 282-333 (77.9 - 91.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). Earth Power chews through Steels. Flash Cannon doesn't 2HKO Florges, unfortunately, but I ran a Jirachi to deal with her, set up SR, and Wish pass.

Biggest problem I had was that poor Kyurem is SR weak himself. Sure, it's bulky enough to take hits, but when you're losing 25% with each switch-in, you really need Defog, and Wish support never hurts.

I'm preaching to the choir, but just wanted to get my two cents in.

Also Crawdaunt is amazing.

Double posting here, as I've finally got around to determining the winners from Week #1 and Week #2.

The winner of Research Week #1, with a Glicko score of 1788±48, Grimey you have won yourself half-op privileges for a week! Please PM kokoloko on the IRC channel #xyuu to claim your prize.

The winner of Research Week #2, with a Glicko score of 1863±55, radianthero156 you have won yourself half-op privileges for a week! Please PM kokoloko on the IRC channel #xyuu to claim your prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)