Official NBA 2010-11 Season Thread

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, get off of the Heat for crying out loud. You're even worse than the anti-Heat people watching these finals. Are you even watching the same games? He's been getting open layups in transition in the last two games and is just straight up missing them. He's getting open 3 point shots and missing them. It obviously does "just happen" after 3 series, it's happening right now. Pretty much every sports writer is saying the same thing about Barea, that he has no excuse for his play this series. You can't expect a bench player like Barea to play at a high level for every round in the playoffs, but the height from which he's fallen is dragging his whole team down.

I hate the Heat as much as the next person, but to somehow say that doing below average from the field in the paint is somehow 'unlucky' sounds more biased than giving he Heat credit for making him rush his shots. You are talking to a guy who's looked at game 1 and 2 twice play by play. He is clearly not comfortable finishing in this series.

And yes, he's missing jumpshots. Barea is an average jumpshooter. How is that surprising? He's not lights out from three or anything. He has always scored most of his points in the paint.

You can't expect a bench player like Barea to play at a high level for every round in the playoffs
Why not? He's one of the biggest factors in their success. Why can't I expect consistency from a consistent bench player? He's the only guy that drives to the rim for kickouts out of all the Mavs players. If he isn't doing it, everybody else is going to stand around.

Edit: Scratch that, his minutes didn't really increase in the series (but he did get extra in game 3).

Edit edit: And if you want to talk about sports writers:

So much for all of that. Barea scored all of six points in Game 3, shooting 2-8 from the floor. And that was his best game of the Finals to date. (He also had one assist and four turnovers.) In Dallas' Game 2 win, Barea contributed five points on 2-7 shooting; in Game 1, he shot 1-8 for two points. Barea's inability to hit buckets has contributed to Dallas having only a small series lead in bench points (65-57).
Mario Chalmers had drawn a good share of defensive responsibility on Barea; the Heat's starting point guard Mike Bibby might be more easily exploitable, but he's left guard Dallas starter Jason Kidd while Chalmers ends up playing more down the stretch and keeping the locks on Barea.
The Heat have also worked extraordinarily hard to shut down the pass to Dirk Nowitzki on the pick-and-roll/pick-and-pop, and that's what Barea really thrived in against L.A.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/6/6/2208862/jj-barea-miami-heat-dallas-mavericks-nba-finals-2011

The only reason for a guy struggling three games a row in FG, assists and turnovers? Luck.

By the way, Chalmers is known for being a good pg defender.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I hate the Heat as much as the next person, but to somehow say that doing below average from the field in the paint is somehow 'unlucky' sounds more biased than giving he Heat credit for making him rush his shots. You are talking to a guy who's looked at game 1 and 2 twice play by play. He is clearly not comfortable finishing in this series.
I think you're confusing me with CaptKirby. I didn't bring up "luck" at all, and I in fact even gave the Heat D some credit. But it takes a little bit more than defense to go from gamebreaker to complete waste of space.

And yes, he's missing jumpshots. Barea is an average jumpshooter. How is that surprising? He's not lights out from three or anything. He has always scored most of his points in the paint.
Even an average jump shooter would hit most of the open shots that Barea put up. Barea is choking up something fierce in this series. Luck doesn't have much to do with it.

edit- I'm confused about that paragraph you pasted. It mentions nothing about what you were talking about. The only defensive praise they gave the Heat against Barea was defending the kickout passes well, it says nothing about them contesting his shots (because they weren't in games 2 and 3), and it even mentions his "inability to hit buckets"

What, so I did not give the Heat credit? The time I brought up luck was that the Mavericks were unlucky the first half of game 1, after which they still led because Miami was playing like a bunch of people led by a Spolestra. Game 1 and 2 had the right winners and losers, and so did game 3. With fair refereeing the Mavericks would have lost by double digits. The refereeing in game 3 influenced not only actual points, but also rebounds. The last time I referenced luck was when DerrickRose made a bad joke about it.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
You and DerrickRose had posted about luck, so I thought he got it mixed up with my post which didn't even mention the word. I agree with your post completely, for the record.

I wasn't really referencing you, Kirby.

Edit: Let's take a look at the stats cube.

http://www.nba.com/statscube/player.html#JJ-Barea|200826;season=p

Whether you prefer looking at the regular season or playoffs, it is pretty evident that Barea has only shot above 40% in the restricted area.

In other words, he is way below average outside of the paint and him making a lot of jumpshots would actually be more of an anomaly than him missing most of them.

In other words, if he can't finish against the Miami bigs in the paint, he's going to keep struggling. Maybe he'll shoot some good threes and long twos here and then, but in a 7 game series if that's all he's doing, he's going to drop from the 40% range pretty easily.

http://dallas.sbnation.com/dallas-m...s-vs-heat-jason-terry-chris-bosh-juwan-howard

"Well, it was a blown coverage," Terry told the Dallas Morning News. "That's what was disappointing about it. We don't care who gets that shot at that particular time, but it wasn't contested. When it's wide open, anybody, I don't care who it is, Juwan Howard would have hit that shot."

-Jason Terry, on being guarded by LeBron James: "Let's see if he can defend me like that for seven games"

.. Come on Terry.

Terry needs to keep his fool mouth shut and actually play.

Also, I can't believe anyone thinks the Mavericks are struggling offensively for any reason other than the Heat are an amazing defensive team.

this series is a battle of unstoppable moves: Dirk Nowitzki's fadeaway jumpshot vs. LeBron James' 3 point flops.

It's no one helping out Chandler.. the Chandler that picks and chooses when he wants to actually play aggressive on the boards, meaning 30% of the time.

darkie shut the fuck up Doris Burke is cancer

SHAWN THE MAN MARION, BEATING THE HEAT ALL BY HIMSELF

Dirk was 6-19, but I loved how he willed himself to rebounds that he could have just given up on (like the rest of the Mavericks not named Tyson Chandler gave up on several...).

captkirby shut the fuck up THE MATRIX is a much better name than THE MAN what the fuck is that

doris burke looks much nicer in glasses than without

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Apparently LeBron has a sore elbow? Fuck im sick of these excuses lol, and people want to consider this man the potential GOAT?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)