Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd compare Z-Moves more to gems, personally. Still useless after one use, powers up only attacks that match with the type of stone used, and of course there's the ominous disappearance of gems in 6th gen, despite existing in code. I'd go out on a limb to say they were an extension of gems after seeing how good they initially were in gen 5.

Another thing to think about is that using a z-move takes up the item slot, and presumably a move slot (unless z-moves are special "5th moves" and not considered part of a pokemon's moveset). So you'd have to think about how much you want to run a z-move on a pokemon as compared to another item or move.
For Pokemon like Nidoking, although they have a huuuuuuuuuge movepool and could pretty much use whatever Z-move they want, the loss of Life Orb or Scarf is too big imo.
There is a lot of things to take into consideration with Z-moves, I like it.

I'd compare Z-Moves more to gems, personally. Still useless after one use, powers up only attacks that match with the type of stone used, and of course there's the ominous disappearance of gems in 6th gen, despite existing in code. I'd go out on a limb to say they were an extension of gems after seeing how good they initially were in gen 5.
Gems that give you a one-time powerful move that can only be used once for your entire team in battle.

Sounds like Game Freak learning from their mistakes from Gen V VGC.

Gems that give you a one-time powerful move that can only be used once for your entire team in battle.

Sounds like Game Freak learning from their mistakes from Gen V VGC.
Exactly. They're identical in usage style, only lack of consumption means that Unburden and Acrobatics users don't get an extra buff.

EDIT: and no Recycle

THE POWER CREEP IS really reasonable this gen.

Gen 5 and 6 gave us pokemon who dealt insane damage with excellently allocated stats and abilities that let you do tons of damage *siren fanfare*.

This gen? Oh you know, copying ally moves, priority healing, anti priority, and other interesting utility and interactive effects. A nice change of pace from "IF YOU KILL A POKEMON YOU GET STRONGER SO YOU CAN KILL MORE POKEMON" or "IF YOU MEGA EVOLVE YOU DON'T HAVE LIFE ORB, UNLESS YOU HAVE TOUCH CLAWS IN WHICH CASE YOU STILL HAVE LIFE ORB BUT WITHOUT RECOIL SO YOU BASICALLY YOU ARE GOD."
yeah, screw that crap.

"Why is Alola Exeggutor Grass/Dragon type?" Power Swap. Back in 4th gen, I had a Sunny Day Doubles team with Exeggutor: It would use Leaf Storm, then Power Swap to simultaneously give its lowered SpAtk to an opponent and restore its own SpAtk. Sometimes it would also be passing off Intimidate debuffs or stealing Swords Dances or whatever. Good times. Anyway, Alola Exeggutor can most likely have both Leaf Storm and Draco Meteor, making this little gimmick far more versatile. That's likely the idea here.

"Why is Alola Sandslash Ice/Steel type?" Ice Ball + Gyro Ball. This is less certain, since Alola Sandshrew's description says it can't roll itself into a ball, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could still learn Defense Curl, Ice Ball, and Gyro Ball anyway, since it can curl itself into that spinning curling stone as seen in the trailer. And if the description's correct about its Speed being lower than Sandslash's, that's another boost for Gyro Ball on top of STAB.

I'm not saying that these gimmicks will necessarily be competitively viable, but I'm pretty sure this is GameFreak's line of thinking. It's similar to how lots of the 6th-gen mega-evolutions tried to push a specific gimmick, like Volt Switch Mega Manectric, Me First Mega Absol, and Bullet Seed/Rock Blast/Pin Missile Mega Heracross.

I have no idea if Mega Ninetales has such a gimmick. Any ideas?
I don't think it really involves move gimmicks but more involves design. White Kitsune are supposedly messengers of Inari in Japanese Mythology, so there's the inspiration for (9)tails. Someone also mentioned that there is a tree known as a Dragon Palm earlier in the thread, so that is likely why Exeggutor is Grass/Dragon. Sandshrew has an Igloo motif while Sandslash has an Icicle one... But the part Steel-typing doesn't make as much sense. Maybe something related to Pangolins? Armored Scales = Steel?

I think they'll have the same movepool. I think that because of the signature move. It wouldn't make sense to give them all one signature move that changes types according to the kind of dance they know and then go ahead and give other different moves. I think the difference might come in form of the TMs each form can learn, but the level up movepool will probably be the same.
Probably this, although it may be a little weird for Darwin's Finches to learn the same things.

Concerning Z-Moves: At least Hidden Power shows up as Normal when you view it in-game. Even then, we are expecting the base power to be above 120, right? Talonflame has shown us that high base power moves can still wreck if the Pokemon using them doesn't have the most impressive attacking stats. It's something that could be abusable, but the once-per-battle restriction could keep it from being totally broken. That said, Stall can probably find use for Z-attacks, while other pokemon with a good deal of coverage and okay stats can certainly appreciate being a little unpredictable.

I feel as if the different forms of Orocorio dont get different Level Up Moves then the pokemon would be a tad bit useless. You can only go so far with TMs. I mean the Ghost Type Orocorio would be locked into using Shadow Ball or Shadow Claw which arent too bad moves but if thats it. Then Idk the pokemon itself would seem like a lost concept to me.

I feel as if the different forms of Orocorio dont get different Level Up Moves then the pokemon would be a tad bit useless. You can only go so far with TMs. I mean the Ghost Type Orocorio would be locked into using Shadow Ball or Shadow Claw which arent too bad moves but if thats it. Then Idk the pokemon itself would seem like a lost concept to me.
Its signature move, Revelation Dance, changes the typing according to the form.

Gen 5 and 6 gave us pokemon who dealt insane damage with excellently allocated stats and abilities that let you do tons of damage *siren fanfare*.

This gen? Oh you know, copying ally moves, priority healing, anti priority, and other interesting utility and interactive effects. A nice change of pace from "IF YOU KILL A POKEMON YOU GET STRONGER SO YOU CAN KILL MORE POKEMON" or "IF YOU MEGA EVOLVE YOU DON'T HAVE LIFE ORB, UNLESS YOU HAVE TOUCH CLAWS IN WHICH CASE YOU STILL HAVE LIFE ORB BUT WITHOUT RECOIL SO YOU BASICALLY YOU ARE GOD."
yeah, screw that crap.
The power creep technically started in Gen IV, where Game Freak started focusing on doubles, where defensive plays are basically a "no".

Is it confirmed any Pokemon can use any Z-move? I assumed that it was for type, since they showed off single type Pokemon (Pikachu, Popplio, Rowlet, and Litten if I remember right. Maybe now Popplio.) using a Z-move that worked with their type.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Z-moves had something to do with Zygarde. It seems too obvious not to be connected.

Its signature move changes the typing according to the form.
I get that but Idk I feel like without different level up moves the lack of diversity would just kill the pokemon off for me. For example it seems to be a mixed attacker so what if a pokemon uses Dragon Dance so you have +1 Atk and Spe but no good physical moves especially STAB to use because the Signature move seems to definitely be SpAtk

Is it confirmed any Pokemon can use any Z-move? I assumed that it was for type, since they showed off single type Pokemon (Pikachu, Popplio, Rowlet, and Litten if I remember right. Maybe now Popplio.) using a Z-move that worked with their type.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Z-moves had something to do with Zygarde. It seems too obvious not to be connected.
Has to be able to learn a move of the type in order to make it a Z move.

yeah, screw that crap.
Magearna in doubles may want to have a word with you :p

For Pokemon like Nidoking, although they have a huuuuuuuuuge movepool and could pretty much use whatever Z-move they want, the loss of Life Orb or Scarf is too big imo.
There is a lot of things to take into consideration with Z-moves, I like it.
Definitely. It's really interesting to think about. Like, what pokemon will benefit from z-moves? What makes a z-move worth running over, say, a life orb? Does the pokemon in question benefit from that, or is it just a waste? Speaking of wastefulness, unless z-moves are priority, how are slower pokemon gonna use it? A pokemon that is slower could easily be knocked out before it even gets a chance to use its z-move. I have. So. Many. Questions.

Mr.GX

Mew Mew
is a Tiering Contributor
hmm, egg reminds me of Tom & Jerry tbh, extending neck after swallowing long sandwiches. What did egg swallow? A whole coconut tree?!

Reactions: JES
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)