Official NBA '17-18 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This league is a joke. The lack of parity in the league is a joke.The fact that LeBron can magic his way to the finals is a joke. GSW/Cavs is a joke. The fact the Warriors are able to have a team of 5 superstars is a joke.

Go watch hockey instead of this joke.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
I don't really get the "Finals repeats are bad" take. All-time great teams like these Warriors are what fans talk about with some wonder decades later, and it's weird how people don't seem to appreciate what's happening at the time. Obviously we all have our particular favourite teams for other reasons, but my opinion for the last few years has been that the next-best thing after the Raptors winning rings is for the Warriors to keep making history by collecting more of them. There's a bit of wishing that the Raptors would be the team to finally beat the Warriors mixed in there too; I don't know what seeing someone else do it is supposed to do for me.

Then again, I've also never bought into the anti-KD takes because I think a free agent should just do whatever he wants. The only free agency decision that kind of bothered me in recent years was DeAndre Jordan reneging on his verbal agreement. So maybe I'm in the minority on a lot of this stuff.

Hockey gets the same complaints as soon as parity slips even a little. There was one Stanley Cup Final rematch ~10 years ago, and I kept hearing how boring that was. Didn't get it then; still don't now. And on the flip side, I know hockey fans now who are embarrassed that an expansion team got to the Final, as if their interest in parity doesn't quite extend to that team yet.

Then again, I've also never bought into the anti-KD takes because I think a free agent should just do whatever he wants. The only free agency decision that kind of bothered me in recent years was DeAndre Jordan reneging on his verbal agreement. So maybe I'm in the minority on a lot of this stuff.
Ayeee we're in the minority together.

The "Finals repeats are bad"/"smh same team going to Finals" takes are just veiled anti-Warriors takes. Nobody complained about the Heat going to the Finals four years in a row. Nobody complained about the Lakers going to the Finals three years in a row (okay fine maybe they did because we're the Lakers). It just started because people still have that taste of dick in their mouth from KD joining the Warriors. LeBron is in his eighth consecutive Finals, but they want to put the focus on KD and those Warriors going to their second straight Finals. Don't fall for it.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I don't really get the "Finals repeats are bad" take. All-time great teams like these Warriors are what fans talk about with some wonder decades later, and it's weird how people don't seem to appreciate what's happening at the time. Obviously we all have our particular favourite teams for other reasons, but my opinion for the last few years has been that the next-best thing after the Raptors winning rings is for the Warriors to keep making history by collecting more of them. There's a bit of wishing that the Raptors would be the team to finally beat the Warriors mixed in there too; I don't know what seeing someone else do it is supposed to do for me.

Hockey gets the same complaints as soon as parity slips even a little. There was one Stanley Cup Final rematch ~10 years ago, and I kept hearing how boring that was. Didn't get it then; still don't now. And on the flip side, I know hockey fans now who are embarrassed that an expansion team got to the Final, as if their interest in parity doesn't quite extend to that team yet.
This. All of this.

KD was unstoppable, holy crap. And onto the whole "this is unfair, KD with the warriors too op, omg smh", I just wanna remind you guys that despite this whole talent advantage we have and how everyone complains this is boring see us win or how we have the sames Finals rematch, it took some luck and we're actually not unstoppable as you think. Like let's not forget what San Antonio could've done had Kawhi not gotten injured last year or how Houston took GSW to 7 games but CP3 got injured toward the later end of the series. People say the NBA is ruined and boring, yet ya'll are all victims of tuning into a GSW or LeBron playoff game to see them fall, yet none of those people want to admit it lol- or are even the ones who are tuning into the games once a series has GSW or LeBron looking vulnerable and they're rooting for the underdogs to make a miraculous stories to make a huge upset against what seems an "impossible" task. It makes for great TV, but no one wants to say/admit that lmao- yet we rather say it's "boring" and we all knew the outcome, and Houston/C's were close this year. If anything, NBA fans should honestly be looking forward to next year. Hopefully we have a healthy Spurs, Rockets, and Celtics team next year. It's gonna be exciting because I think they're a small step away from beating, or even better, can actually beat GSW or LeBron. But yeah, I totally get why people are frustrated. KD joined a 73-9 team, with 3 All-Stars and one of them being a 2x MVP. I get it. But it has fueled other teams to gear up with All-Stars, talent, and strategy to figure out away to beat these two teams- and we've seen the C's, HOU, and OKC (yet it failed), try to do that.

Like let's not forget what San Antonio could've done had Kawhi not gotten injured last year or how Houston took GSW to 7 games but CP3 got injured toward the later end of the series.
This is what annoys me. The same people who want to tell me Zaza ruined a great series and potential upset are telling me that these Warriors are unstoppable. No, the Spurs did not beat the Warriors and no, the Rockets didn't either, but they definitely made the Warriors look vulnerable. The WCF was the real Finals and the Warriors/Cavs are only less exciting comparatively is because the Cavaliers are trash, the Raptors are trash, and the Celtics had injury issues.

I respect the Warriors core and how it was homegrown, but man, how can even Warriors fans not be be disappointed with what KD did to his and Curry's legacy. Everything the Warriors do seems so empty now, and I really wonder how people are gonna remember KD in the future. Usually I would tend to say that history doesn't remember context and that we'd just look at his titles, but his case is so unlike any other player's that I feel like it's gonna stick with him. I also feel like Curry hasn't been the same Curry as he was in the 73-9 season (obviously - he was transcendent that year), but he definitely would have been closer to that level had he not gotten KD to be able to fall back on.

I'm not mad at repetitively of contenders, it's just the nature of basketball. I'm just extremely saddened that KD basically took himself out of future GOAT conversations. I'm sad that Curry couldn't extend his greatness even more. I love legacies and the possibility of remembering these great players down the line for their ability to carry their teams. I know Curry can do it, but I wanted to see him do it more. Don't know if KD can, maybe one day he'll show it.

I think them teaming up doesn't actually hurt their legacies. We've seen super teams fail, but these guys are making it work flawlessly. Absolute unselfishness instead of whatever we had with Dwight in LA, and Russ/PG/Melo in OKC, or even the Russ/KD era in OKC. Both of them as well as Klay can go off for 30 any given night but they aren't fighting for shots to be the top dog, they're not each gunning for 30 every night, they legitimately put team first. That's also where I give Kerr a lot of credit, for making a team with two top-five players and a top-five shooter of all-time work. I do get it though, I don't think people will remember this team for its unselfishness like people do the Duncan Spurs (unless they really manage to keep them together for a long time which will be very difficult financially.) Enjoy them while they last, I guess.

Can I be honest with all of you? I'm a history teacher and one thing that bothers me in sports is this little word: legacy.

"The legacy of LeBron James"
"The legacy of Kevin Durant"
"The legacy of Stephen Curry"...

Things we'll know, I don't know, 10 or 20 years ahead. And I ask, why the hell do you ask about it now that they're active? Why am I going to wonder about the impact or their career 20 years from now if they are here and now? It makes no sense to discuss the distant future and the impact of the present in that distant future when this present is happening right in your face. And people waste time asking:

"who is the best player of all time"
"who is the greatest of all times"

Sorry, but I think that all those discussions are bullshit and a schizophrenic daydream.
What is happening is now.
Let's leave the future to be discussed when it arrives.

Can I be honest with all of you? I'm a history teacher and one thing that bothers me in sports is this little word: legacy.

"The legacy of LeBron James"
"The legacy of Kevin Durant"
"The legacy of Stephen Curry"...

Things we'll know, I don't know, 10 or 20 years ahead. And I ask, why the hell do you ask about it now that they're active? Why am I going to wonder about the impact or their career 20 years from now if they are here and now? It makes no sense to discuss the distant future and the impact of the present in that distant future when this present is happening right in your face. And people waste time asking:

"who is the best player of all time"
"who is the greatest of all times"

Sorry, but I think that all those discussions are bullshit and a schizophrenic daydream.
What is happening is now.
Let's leave the future to be discussed when it arrives.
I don't care for legacy/player rankings either, but it doesn't bother me as much as it appears to bother you. I just don't care about other people's opinions about who is better or the best. That said, I think it can be interesting in the future to look back upon these years to see how these Warriors changed the game, but that discussion isn't for now.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I’m not super big into basketball so take my onions with a grain of salt but I can tell you it’s not a sense of jealousy that makes me dislike the warriors dominance. I love dominant teams and learning about dominant players and teams in different eras is a favorite hobby of mine. What I don’t like is how boring the Warriors in particular are. The dominance I enjoy the most is more on the defensive side to begin with but also I want to see people “struggling to succeed” or rather I want to see a dominant team be forced to be creative to access their dominance. Something like Steph Curry or Klay Thompson pulling up for a their fast release long range threes just... it’s the same thing. They’ve been doing it for years. There’s no defensive solution to them being able to shoot that quickly or that accurately from that far out. And until there is their dominance just isn’t gonna be entertaining enough for me to give a shit. It’s more interesting to watch the guy who can do it all than to watch the guy who does the one thing no one has figured out how to stop yet.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I’m not super big into basketball so take my onions with a grain of salt but I can tell you it’s not a sense of jealousy that makes me dislike the warriors dominance. I love dominant teams and learning about dominant players and teams in different eras is a favorite hobby of mine. What I don’t like is how boring the Warriors in particular are. The dominance I enjoy the most is more on the defensive side to begin with but also I want to see people “struggling to succeed” or rather I want to see a dominant team be forced to be creative to access their dominance. Something like Steph Curry or Klay Thompson pulling up for a their fast release long range threes just... it’s the same thing. They’ve been doing it for years. There’s no defensive solution to them being able to shoot that quickly or that accurately from that far out. And until there is their dominance just isn’t gonna be entertaining enough for me to give a shit. It’s more interesting to watch the guy who can do it all than to watch the guy who does the one thing no one has figured out how to stop yet.
It's almost identical to how the Patriots have dominated with Tom Brady dinking and dunking up the field for the last 15 years, but you still manage to be entertained by them haha

> LeBron somehow ends up on the Raptors
> Raptors fans rejoice thinking they're on their way to their first Finals ever
> Raptors get their first 60-win season in franchise history
> LeBron gets injured for the first time in forever in the playoffs
> LeBron indirectly knocks the Raptors out of the playoffs for the billionth time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)