ORAS OU 1673 and STILL GOING

Would you use this team?

• Total voters
Hey guys, I haven't done an RMT in ages and that's mainly because none of my teams were doing anything special. But for the first time ever, I've finally managed to get into the OU ladder.

Proof of peak:

I'm really sorry about the poor quality of the images.

So here's the what the team looks like:

Now we have shall be moving onto the team.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]A
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

This is whom I generally start with as he can easily grab momentum with Volt Switch. Hp Ice gives Thundy pseudo BoltBeam coverage. Knock off is mainly for Utility and helps when I predict a switch. The main reason for this mon to be in the team is to prevent set up sweepers like DD Megazard X and Mega Altaria.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

Initially this team was based around Mega Sceptile, then Mega Diancie and now, after listening to my friend's advice, Mega Metagross. This thing is my main and to an extent, only counter to fairies, especially Unaware Clefable. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are standard stabs and the latter's main purpose being to hit Rotom-W for a respectable chunk of damage. Bullet Punch is for priority and has been extremely helpful so far. Hammer Arm helps this guy in not getting walled by Ferrothorn and also to an extent helps with the massive Heatran problem which this team has.

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

This guy is the main counter to the numerous Scizors and Ferrothorns that are out there. The idea is that depending on which has a better chance to clean up, I use either Tflame or Megagross to punch holes for the other to sweep. The good part is that they both share fairly similar counters like Lando, Slowbro, etc. Moving on the the set, it is a fairly standard sd tflame set that basically requires you to sd up and use which ever stab you seem fit and roost up the damage. The 168evs allows me to outspeed Raikou, Scarf Magnezone and Thundurus and hit them Flare Blitz.

Serperior (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse

Now I can't really on just physical attackers otherwise hippo and the like will have a field day with my team. So I chose Serperior as this thing is very easy to set up. The evs are there for max speed and max damage with a neutral nature. Leafstorm is a mandatory stab and along with with dragon pulse and hp fire, forms an awesome coverage that's only resisted by Mega Altaria and Heatran, I think. Glare is an incredible move as some of the most common switch ins to this guy TonrT and Tflame. It's 100% accuracy guarantees paralysis and greatly reduces the effect of TornT.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

If all else fails, this guy comes in to fix the situation. The standard Crocune set with enough physical bulk to be a really good defensive wall and at the same time bolstering it's special defense through clam mind makes this beast almost unstoppable. Resttalk is for recovery and to not waste the turns that I am a sleep in. Scald is there not only because it's a great utility move due it's 30% chance to burn but also because this set doesn't work without and offensive move. Also, this completes my FWG core.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

I needed a defogger, ZardY and generally a special defensive mon. What better that to go for Latias. Defog because of obvious purposes. Draco Meteor is an obligatory stab move that nukes everything bar fairies and steel types. As I've noticed that Ferrothorns, Skarmories and Scizors like to switch into Latias, hp fire deals with them beautifully. Healing Wish is there so that any of the above five can run rampant again.

Former Members:

Threatlist (so far):

I hope you guys like this team as much as I have. I would be very grateful if you all could help improve it. Thanks in advance.

Credit goes to Alkov for me helping me out so much with this team! Thanks a lot dude!

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-258402948
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-258404953

Importable:

Talonflame (M) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Serperior (M) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:
Hi Afro,

Team looks super good. Two ideas for you to try, let me know what you think.

Idea #1: run EQ on Latias for coverage on Heatran
0- Atk Life Orb Latias Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 265-317 (68.8 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Not sure what you want to do to make room for this. HP-Fire is nice for the coverage on Ferrothorn and Scizor but you already have Talonflame to check those so maybe this is a good cut (also my second idea would add coverage for this on another mon so there's that as well :p). You could also cut Healing Wish although the utility is quite nice.

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Healing Wish

Idea #2: Clefable instead of Thundurus as a utility lead and dragon check. Reasons I think this might be useful
1. Clefable + Metagross + Latias gives you an SFD core; Clefable over Thundurus helps to check opposing dragons and can run Unaware to prevent Zard setup
2. Clefable can run SR which are useful to have for lots of reasons (breaking multi-scale on Dragonite, breaking sashes, helping against opposing Talonflame and Zards, etc...)
3. You already have Glare support on Serperior, and if you really want to you could run T-Wave on Clefable as well
4. Gives you another SpDef pokemon so you could possibly change Suicune to Keldeo which gives you more offensive options

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard / Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpDef
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave / Toxic / Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Nice team and congratz on the ranking

My first impression of the team is that it is a pretty offensive team but it looks like Suicune is a big momentum killer as it takes a long while to set-up which is not good for an offensive team. I would probably change it to a Manaphy since it is a big stall and balance breaker and easier to set up. Manaphy also keeps the same typing and has good natural bulk so you wont need to redo your team to fit it in. The set can be changed if you want cos i just took it from one of my teams.

TL:DR
>

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

I think the posts above do a great job of fixing the team. I think Clef over Thundurus would be a really good glue mon for this team because it would give you Stealth Rock which helps tremendously against opposing Zard X and Talonflame. It'd also check Weavile and Alakazam, which you currently only have BP M-Metagross and Suicune for, (although I support a potential change from Suicune to Physically Defensive Rotom-W to combat your Talonflame weakness). Additionally, I think HP Ground on Serperior would a legitimate option, seeing as though it could help against Heatran.

Sets:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Thank you all of you for taking the time to rate my team!

MellowSlinky I thought about putting that on Latias but always second guessed myself. I'll surely try this time. But if I went for the first set, without healing wish, then should I just use a latios? I really like the clefable idea that also forms the second core, but won't that make my team a lot weaker to heatran? I'll definitely try it though. Thanks for the suggestions :)

YUNG GOAT I'll give Manaphy a try for sure as stall is a massive nuisance but won't that leave me without a physical wall though?

DavisWuhu I agree with Keldeo being a great stop to bisharp and weavile but Suicune already does a decent job, doesn't it?
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 129-152 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
and after the item is knocked off, it'll do even less damage.
252+ Atk Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 111-132 (27.4 - 32.6%) -- 68.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
Nevertheless I'd love to give Keldeo a try. Should I use the calm mind set or use it as a revenge killer?

victini493RMT I've considered hp ground and if I put Clefable in then I think I'll have to run it. Do you think adding Clefable will add to the heatran weakness? I like the Rotom-W idea as it gives me some utility moves in Will-O-Wisp and it forms somewhat of a volturn core with thundy.

Thanks again for your suggestions and I'll be sure to give them all a try :)

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree with the others; keldeo over suicune fits this team better due to its offensive nature. It is also needed to give you something that can check all of mega scizor, weavile, and bisharp. Suicune gives too many free turns before it has set up, and forfeits momentum quite a bit, which really hurts you in the long run. It also forms the infamous KeldeGross core that is known for having really good offensive synergy.

Regardless, SubCM Keldeo accomplishes everything you're trying to with Suicune + more, so I really think you should try it out. Set is below

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Other than that, I don't really think anything else needs changing. Good luck with the team.

Wouldn't changing Suicune to Keldeo be better, since his team is pretty Weavile (and to a lesser extent Bisharp) weak?
Ye I was going to suggest either that or manaphy but manaphy has a better matchup against stall which is pretty hard to play around since the team has little recovery outside of healing wish. Keldeo definitely lessens the impact that bisharp and weavile have and the immediate power that is has can be useful against more offensive teams. Think it comes down to personal preference.

YUNG GOAT I'll give Manaphy a try for sure as stall is a massive nuisance but won't that leave me without a physical wall though?
The set can be changed to the bulky rain dance set which gives you recovery with rest.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tail Glow/Calm Mind
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Scald

I'm sorry for the late reply. I've been using keldeo and it's worked really well to be honest. I'll try out manaphy next. The problem that I have noticed with using keldeo is that talonflame becomes a bit of a problem.

After using this team a little bit, I would just like to include that Zapdos is kind of a threat in testing. It walls a good bit of the team and that only thing Thunderbolt and Heat Wave aren't supereffective against are Thundurus, which is obviously not that amazing vs Zapdos, and Latias. I didn't really find Heatran to be major threat in my testing, as Suicine either forced it out in fear of getting setup on, or i just sack something and bring in Metagross and wreck it with Hammer Arm.

After using this team a little bit, I would just like to include that Zapdos is kind of a threat in testing. It walls a good bit of the team and that only thing Thunderbolt and Heat Wave aren't supereffective against are Thundurus, which is obviously not that amazing vs Zapdos, and Latias. I didn't really find Heatran to be major threat in my testing, as Suicine either forced it out in fear of getting setup on, or i just sack something and bring in Metagross and wreck it with Hammer Arm.
Thanks for taking the time and trying it out! I see what you mean, now that you point it out. But shouldn't Latias be good enough to take a few hits and hit it back hard? It takes about 15% from thunderbolt and Draco does a minimum of 65% to 78% back. But if not, then what do you I suggest I do to fix it? I've also been contemplating whether or not to run grass knot on mega meta. What do you think?

Wouldn't changing Suicune to Keldeo be better, since his team is pretty Weavile (and to a lesser extent Bisharp) weak?
It also deals with his Heatran Weakness as well, as a CM set would wall its STABs as well as take an Earth Power pretty decently.

+1 252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 396-468 (102.8 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 72-85 (22.2 - 26.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Earth Power would be the most powerful hit against Keldeo, and that's a 5HKO. Also, Weavile and Bisharp are laughable when Keldeo uses Secret Sword.

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Weavile: 760-900 (270.4 - 320.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 556-660 (204.4 - 242.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

ULTRA POWER. Keldeo also has some decent 91/90/90 bulk to compliment its 72/129/108 Power. Keldeo is the perfect fit over Suicune.

Last edited:
I agree but it leaves my team very vulnerable to talonflame.
Well, a Stealth Rock or Physically Defensive Clefable can sponge a hit quite nicely from a Brave Bird or Flare Blitz if you can get a safe switch in. Now if you can chip half of Talon's health with the rocks you set up and then sponge a Brave Bird, you can already leave it with about a quarter of health left.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 250-295 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 207-244 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 151-178 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 183-216 (46.4 - 54.8%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Now, I understand the CroCune set is great, but maybe the Keldeo can deal with plenty of other weaknesses and serve nearly the same purpose. Now you can always switch back to Suicune if you'd wish, but I'd recommend trying out the Clef set above as well as the Keldeo set. Good luck on your laddering!

Hi there mate, cool team. An HO team really struggles against the combination of fast pokemon like M-Manectric+Weavile/M-Lopunny+Bisharp and that's the case with pretty much every team that is similar to your archetype, out there. The way that you've built this team, it's tough to fix this weakness without changing a lot, but that's boring as hell.

My only change would be to tryout Assault Vest Conkeldurr over Suicune. This might seem like a weird change at first glance, but it actually fixes a lot of weaknesses in your team. M-Manectric, Weavile, M-Lopunny, Bisharp, and Keldeo+Pursuit-trapping(Tyranitar) are all huge threats to your team, and Conkeldurr does a fantastic job at checking the aforementioned threats. Suicune doesn't really fit on a team like yours, I find that it saps too much momentum, hence I feel it's the team's most expendable member. With this change, you get weaker to Azumarill, but you can't cover everything in one go and you have more than three decent checks to it.

Set:
Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab/Knock Off

Hope I helped =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)