Other Metagames [1v1] I could not plan this.

I could not plan this -
*If tagged check Shoutouts.

Peak (#1 also uses Yawn Snorlax this matters!)
This is my first Sun and Moon team because I still haven't learned anything about this generation, except 1v1 since I'm really forced. This team was inspired by the current 1v1 thread discussion about Sleep and Jirachi. It was said that Togekiss doesn't deserve a ban but Jirachi does, well I can say that both do the job in flinching the same, both have different checks and counters. This was a fun team to use but I didn't have enough time to ladder so I forced my good friend dusk raimon to do, even though his GXE is horrible since he's a horrible player. However, the results were great, replays were saved to showcase the power of Sleep and Flinch.​

Re; 1v1
I'm certain that everyone have already heard about 1v1 since it's a famous metagame and for the past years it's been growing especially this generation. We have a bigger and more active community which flourish the discussion threads and resources with better posts and topics allowing us to decide the fate of bans/unban better. Furthermore, the popularity of 1v1 made it drift away from the OM room and now has its own room. I could not plan this, showcases what we never thought would happen. I could not plan this room, I could not plan this amazing community, I could not plan this fun, I could not plan anything, it all just came all together.

About 1v1 misconceptions; allow me to reserve a paragraph for this before diving in my RMT. A lot of people label 1v1 as a luck and matchup based metagame. To an extent and to a stranger point of view this might sound true, and to an extent this might be true. But that doesn't mean it should be labeled as such. It is to an extent true, 1v1 isn't fully a luck and matchup based metagame. Let me tell you why. First of all 1v1 is divided into two parts teambuilding and gameplay. Both are equally important, teambuilding even plays a bigger part than in other metagames. In teambuilding the user has to construct 3 Pokemon that are able to beat most of the metagame reducing as much as he can the number of Pokemon that can 3-0 him. Covering a big metagame with 3 Pokemon is hard, this is the first criteria to be called a consistent 1v1 player. He should be diverse, can come up with lures, checks and counters to give him the upper hand in his games, for now there's no luck nor matchup, we can all agree.

Then comes the actual gameplay, this is where people labels the metagame as nothing but luck and matchup based and this is where the claims will be falsified. First of all addressing matchup, 1v1 is a 3 Pokemon Team Preview, both of the players must chose 1 Pokemon to send in battle. An outsider might think this is all luck, but in fact it all comes back to the first criteria, the user with the better teambuilding have the edge of his opponent. No, picking a Pokemon isn't random nor can be with eyes closed, a full analysis on the opponent team, and what he will pick will be performed by the player, this is why most 1v1 games tense and can be more tense, than other metagame, the better both of the players are at teambuilding. I repeat, this isn't luck and random, this comes to mind-games, teambuilding skills which envelop how well your Pokemon EVs/Moveset are to cover your team, how good your lures are and what kind of Pokemon synergy you're using. The combination of teambuilding and how you actually use it in-battle is the second criteria for consistency.

After picking your Pokemon you enter a 1v1 battle, this is where both the matchup and luck come into play. I do not see the matchup as a problem, a lot of Pokemon that lose by typing or anything else utilize sometimes lure to get through the opponent, and like I said this all comes back to teambuilding. For luck, yea hax can happen but I do not think it is as much worse as hax in other metagames, well bar flinch and sleep rolls.

Please do not go off topic and debate with me here, take it to PMs or VM me your discord and we can discuss. I urge everyone to try 1v1 metagame now and see for yourself, it is really a fun metagame and we would love to have you with us!

Teambuilding phase
As I said I wanted to test both Sleep and Flinch. I added first Snorlax (
) which is the premium sleep abuser in the metagame. Its raw bulk and typing allow it to survive a lot of hits and defeat a good portion of the metagame, even Steel-type Pokemon, with sleep rolls. Second Pokemon I added was Togekiss (
) since it's the other flinch abusing Pokemon that is underrated. Togekiss covers snorlax weakness well, it can get beat Fighting-type Pokemon and flinch other Pokemon to death n_n. I have two variations with the these 2 Pokemon. Variation 1.0 has Mega Charizard X (
) which allows it to beat Steel-types such as Mega Mawile and Mega Metagross pretty fairly though the team ends up being weak to Rock that Togekiss can't flinch to death such as Tyranitar and Aggron. Variation 2.0 contains Mega Gyarados (
) which can easily defeat Rock-type Pokemon and gives it an easier time against Heatran but Mega Mawile and Mega Metagross become a problem depending on sets.

Gameplay Phase

Sleep with me (Snorlax) | Normalium-Z

Thick Fat
EVs: 132 HP / 124 Atk / 252 Def | Adamant
Yawn | Protect | Double Edge | Belly Drum

Snorlax is the first member of the team and is the premium Sleep abuser in the metagame. EVs allow it to survive hit from the scary offensive Pokemon in the metagame such as Tapu Koko, Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, and a SubZero Slammer from Kyurem-Black. It's special defense allow it to tank most special hits from the likes of Porygon-Z, Meloetta, Mega Charizard Y with the help of Thick Fat and others. Remaining EVs are dumped into Attack to maximize the damage output especially against Pokemon that resists the Normal-type STAB. Yawn allows Snorlax to put the foe to sleep in two turns, Protect allows that to happen. Protect can be used turn 1 before Yawning to reduce the damage output of a Z-move from the opponent. Double Edge is the best Normal-type STAB bar Giga Impact which makes Snorlax unable to move. Yawn+Belly Drum is a terrific combo, after putting the foe to sleep Snorlax can pick to either Belly Drum or Z-Belly Drum of the foe is bulky to put an end to it with Double Edge or Z-Double Edge if Snorlax didn't use it on Belly Drum. Normally, on Steel-type and Rock-type Pokemon, Belly Drumming is the better player but on Pokemon that aren't bulky Z-Double Edge+Double Edge is sufficient to OHKO it. Pokemon such as Tapu Koko, Mega Charizard Y, Porygon-Z can be OHKO'd without Belly Drum, meanwhile Pokemon such as Mega Metagross, Heatran, Chansey and cannot be OHKO'd easily because they are bulky so Belly Drum gets the job done. When your HP isn't low and the opponent is a Steel-type or just too bulky keeping the Z-move for Double Edge might be wiser than using it for Belly Drum.

TogeKISS YOU GOODBYE (Togekiss) | Choice Scarf

Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid
Air Slash | Dazzling Gleam | Flamethrower | Trick
There's not a lot to be said about Togekiss, there's no optimal EVs spread, nothing it needs to survive, its role is to just outspeed the opponent thanks to Choice Scarf and maximum Speed EVs and flinch it to death. Togekiss's typing in Flying/Fairy allow it do defeat common threats in the metagame such as Fighting-, Bug-, Dark-type Pokemon just by the typing as it can bulk through most of their moves. Though, all Pokemon should hide because Togekiss, with enough luck, can flinch a lot of Pokemon to death even if they resist it. There's no reason to use Dazzling Gleam, except against Dark-type Pokemon and the ones that are 4x weak to Fairy-type moves. Meanwhile flamethrower is good to nail some Pokemon such as Durant and Choice Specs Genesect. Trick is used to stop bulky Pokemon from stalling it out with Toxic if they break the Flinch. Since they need more flinches the chance of getting them gets lower so the wisest choice is to Trick and remove their freedom, specially recovery freedom.

Variation 2.0 (Gyarados) | Gyaradosite

Intimidate > Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 76 SpD / 104 Spe | Impish
Dragon Dance | Outrage | Waterfall | Earthquake

To be honest, Mega Gyarados seems like the better Choice for the team even though it was the second Variation I tried. Mega Gyarados allows the team to deal better with Steel- and Rock-type Pokemon especially Mega Aggron, Tyranitar, Gigalith, Golem. EVs allow it to stand a chance against Mega Mawile with Dragon Dancing before turning to mega form and Earthquake. It also allows it to beat Mega Charizard X, Mega Metagross, Kyurem-Black and more physically offensive Pokemon. Dragon Dance boosts Mega Gyarados already high attack stat which allows it to run bulk in its other stats. Outrage is one of the best moves for Mega Gyarados allowing it to beat Dragon-type Pokemon especially Kyurem-Black, Dragonite and Mega Charizard X. Waterfall nails Rock-type Pokemon mentioned above, they are problematic and need to be taken care off. Earthquake allows Mega Gyarados to hurt Steel-type Pokemon such as Aegislash, Mega Mawile, Mega Aggron, and Mega Metagross.

OR

Variation 1.0 (Charizard) | Charizardite X

Blaze > Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def | Impish
Dragon Dance | Outrage | Flare Blitz | Counter​

Mega Charizard X has even an easier time against Steel-type Pokemon which this team can struggle against especially Mega Mawile and Mega Metagross, though it loses to Rockium-Z users such as Golem and Gigalith. It can defeat other Rock-types such as Tyranitar if they don't Dragon Dance and Mega Diancie with counter. This also plays the same role as Mega Gyarados in having an easier time against prominent Dragons bar Dragonite. Will-o-Wisp can replace Counter allowing it to beat more reliably Dragonite and set up physically offensive Pokemon.

End-Game Phase
You should try this team yourself and tell us if you think that Flinch and Sleep are broken strategies in 1v1. On a more serious note, you should really try 1v1, it's a fun metagame that is becoming more popular in the OM scene.

Replays;
:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-633920124
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-633916966
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-633915732
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-633904681
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-633718183
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-633427807
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-633425075
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-634140076

:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-634139078
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-633904681
I forgot to save Togekiss replays x_x but yea pretty easy to use.

Importable;
http://pokepast.es/0e07c961f13cc3cf Variation 1.0
http://pokepast.es/b0585f8e8c223d22 Variation 2.0

Shoutouts;
1v1 Community: Thank you for being such an amazing community and being chill and fun all around and having faith in me. SPECIALLY YOU, YES YOU Gross Sweep.

Shoutout LSF: Iron Crusher, UnleashOurPassion, Wrath of Alakazam, MiyoKa, dusk raimon, Uselesscrab, Chloe., Racool, Thimo, The Trap God, SANJAY, charizard8888, Betathunder, partys over (Shoutout $$$), xiaomeow/potatopickle, MaceMaster, Blazikin, Elo Bandit, motogp, Tallydaorangez, wishes, Bondie, DoW <3 xD!, Baleblaze, GL Volkner, StarBlim, jasprose, lmni 1v1, Nocty, UBERLandon21 and everyone else lol.

OM Community: MY SECOND HOME. Ransei ScarfWynaut, Ransei, Jrdn and others n_n terrors (wait Monotype isn't an om anymore xD!)

Special shoutouts: Esteemed co-co-leader The Immortal, Esteemed terameme Teremiare for beating me yesterday x and sticking around the 1v1 room. lost heros for being literally lost for the best months.

Last edited:

dusk raimon

Banned deucer.
The only way I could suggest to improve this team would be changing the concept of the flinch+sleep aspect the team, which would render the point of the team meaningless. However, when I used this team to get you your peak because you're lazy (then calling me a bad player bc low gxe smh deg mean tl) I used taunt over earthquake on mega gyarados, because it doesn't reliably beat maw anyway, and I think this is a decent improvement in some scenarios as it means that the team has a much easier matchup against stall pokemon which would use z-moves, or bulkier stall pokemon which can still take 4-5 attacks from togekiss after being tricked and stall it down to dying from toxic (blissey, chansey, etc) however it isn't necessarily optimal and is more down to personal preference, plus snorlax beats those things easily anyway.

I really like the team from using it myself I can vouch for its effectiveness, although its incredibly cheesy imo, and thanks for the shoutout! Even if you did say i was bad smh

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
So I am not part of LSF okay

I normally do not see 1v1 RMT's due to the team structure consisting of only 3 Pokemon, yet I enjoyed reading yours.

You should try this team yourself and tell us if you think that Flinch and Sleep are broken strategies in 1v1.
Regarding this statement, I will assume you already know my stance and I will move straight onto rating your team:

vs.

Tapu Koko seems to be the great threat for the team. I see why you put Zard X there, but it ends up losing to Charge variants with defensive EV's. Your Snorlax's Breakneck Blitz already has less than 45% chance to OHKO Tapu Koko if it has 252 EV on HP. Togekiss doesn't outspeed Koko with Choice Scarf, and Gyarados will just be deleted first turn. Regarding Gyarados matchup, 0 Atk Gigavolt Havoc has 50% chance to kill your Gyarados after Intimidate, while your +1 Earthquake has 60% chance to OHKO back next turn. Probably the best you can wish against Tapu Koko is sending Snorlax against special variants with 252 spatk / 4 spd / 252 speed or sending Gyarados against physical variants and hope for good rolls.

vs.
/

I know Blaziken can the turn the table against anyone with mind games, but I think your team isn't prepared for it. I won't explain what happens to Snorlax if Blaziken has Substitute or if you don't predict All-Out-Pummeling and use Protect, and Togekiss is outsped after the first Speed Boost when Blaziken turns out to be a Mega. Also, as Elo Bandit spammed in the thread, Blaziken has much better chance to win against Mega Gyarados with optimized spread with HJK and Thunder Punch. Probably making your Togekiss a little bulkier will help against this chicken or just hope you land crits with Gyarados / etc etc.

vs.

Mega Sableye, aka terrestrial gem organic, is a living sign that says KYS to Snorlax, and it goes down to mind game against Togekiss because it will press Metal Burst on Dazzling Gleam. Mega Gyarados will be shut down with Will-O-Wisp and even if you go for Flinchfall Waterfall hax, Impish variants have much less chance to win against Sableye with hax. Probably just play flinch hax with Togekiss and be a corrupt leader or get Taunt on Gyarados. Or slap in zard x which doesn't even die to Foul Play at +1 and just watch out for Metal Burst.

That was my rate, hope it helped, although I am not sure if it did due to my tendency to not use anything with 600+ BST.

#Fuck Jirachi
#Reap Togekiss
#Hypnosis is for pussies

#Have a good day

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)