2010 Gubernatorial Elections

So none of the skills one has obtained / made use of through the aforementioned process of attaining wealth would help them govern? In my opinion, I think there would most definitely be something she has learned that would help.

I doubt her experiences would be rendered null and void.

Although, since the usefulness of her experiences are quite debatable, I surrender.

Edit: And I apologize for the double post. My bad.

underage sex is still illegal last i checked. they shouldnt be fucking in the first place.
It's going to take a really hard kick to the stomach to dislodge your head from your arse.

Since the Democratic Party runs on racial (and various and sundry other grouping) identity politics.
Somehow it doesn't surprise me to see you attempting to tar the Democrats while ignoring the obvious: what you've just said applies to virtually every political organization, anywhere ever, next you'll be trying to tell me the Republican party isn't for the most part a platform for Christian Conservatives?

How about the Australian Labor Party.. which is a platform for Union members.

You can take any party and see it operates on identity politics. There is no political party anywhere, that doesn't run on some kind of identity; and if it existed nobody would vote for it anyway because it wouldn't align with their interests.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me to see you attempting to tar the Democrats while ignoring the obvious: what you've just said applies to virtually every political organization, anywhere ever, next you'll be trying to tell me the Republican party isn't for the most part a platform for Christian Conservatives?

How about the Australian Labor Party.. which is a platform for Union members.

You can take any party and see it operates on identity politics. There is no political party anywhere, that doesn't run on some kind of identity; and if it existed nobody would vote for it anyway because it wouldn't align with their interests.
what? he did say that

Deck Knight said:
There are also blueprints that Conservatives and Republicans use all the time, it's just as a matter of course they don't usually involve exploiting race or sexual orientation (religion is more common, though.) Huckabee's "Chrisitan Leader" platform in the 2008 Presidential race is a great example.

Bump.

Elections are tomorrow (or today for some). Has anyone had a change of heart for who/what they're for or against?

I guess the results tomorrow would be posted here? Or would a new thread be made?

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just cast my ballot for John Lynch. His opponent trying to call him out on, of all things, his perfectly balanced budget was ridiculously disingenuous.

I also just voted, it appears, like the new challengers will probably lose, unless something weird occurs. The Republicans are gaining ground, but the democrats are still stronger. In the Senate race, Carly Florina has the best chances out of most of the other challengers in her party. I feel bad for Whitman if she loses, because I wouldn't want to spend like 100 million dollars of my own money for nothing. The late Budget bill should probably pass, since in recent times, the budget was months late. The Marijuana bill is a different story though......

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
dems keep senate, republicans take the house. prop 19 failed, to which my only response is fuck.

I must say I'm honestly surprised at this whole Tea Party movement. At first I thought it was a joke just like Sarah Palin, but I guess I was wrong.

Republican gains were expected. It's a never ending cycle. Dems get elected, they fuck up, and than republicans gain ground. Than vice versa. Although I find it very catty and childish that voters are lashing out against Democrats just because of Obama (also, the ousting of the Iowan judges is just completely retarded). People seem to think Obama is a magician and can cause change with just a snap of his fingers. It takes time for change.

Although I'm pretty pleased with California's outcome. Would've been nice if Prop 19 was passed, but at least that disgusting Prop 23 failed.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It appears Massachusetts remains an insane asylum dispite all the effort grassroots Republicans put out this time. In a perfect world if you work harder, are at the polls longer, and fight harder to get your message out you would win, but here in Massachusetts it appears there is only one qualification for any office: The D.

That being said the top of our ticket (Baker) ran a terrible campaign that was more interested in giving credence to the spoiler (Time Cahill) then going after the sitting Governor. He was weak and late to the game in attacking the real threat to his election and built up the spoiler. That probably depressed the needed turnout in every race below him accross the state. The activists were at the polls but the base wasn't there.

So I'm looking forward to Deval's coming progressive income tax, expected to hit just about the time the federal medicaid funding propping us up expires. And four years from now? Well, Patrick won't run only because he can't, but I have a sinking feeling no matter how bad it gets Massachusetts has the political equivalent of battered-wife syndrome. We keep getting the same people because we truly, truly deserve them for never standing up to their abuses and never questioning them when dispite their absolute control and singular dominance of every aspect of the state they still blame the other party for every failing.

In a perfect world if you work harder, are at the polls longer, and fight harder to get your message out you would win,
Most definitely not, in a perfect world the most qualified candidate would win and we wouldn't have all this campaign bull shit.

It appears Massachusetts remains an insane asylum dispite all the effort grassroots Republicans put out this time. In a perfect world if you work harder, are at the polls longer, and fight harder to get your message out you would win, but here in Massachusetts it appears there is only one qualification for any office: The D.

That being said the top of our ticket (Baker) ran a terrible campaign that was more interested in giving credence to the spoiler (Time Cahill) then going after the sitting Governor. He was weak and late to the game in attacking the real threat to his election and built up the spoiler. That probably depressed the needed turnout in every race below him accross the state. The activists were at the polls but the base wasn't there.

So I'm looking forward to Deval's coming progressive income tax, expected to hit just about the time the federal medicaid funding propping us up expires. And four years from now? Well, Patrick won't run only because he can't, but I have a sinking feeling no matter how bad it gets Massachusetts has the political equivalent of battered-wife syndrome. We keep getting the same people because we truly, truly deserve them for never standing up to their abuses and never questioning them when dispite their absolute control and singular dominance of every aspect of the state they still blame the other party for every failing.
sorry to here about that...
In other news, Michigan's got a nerd for governor and is bleeding red all over the place...

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Most definitely not, in a perfect world the most qualified candidate would win and we wouldn't have all this campaign bull shit.
See the thing is "most qualified" is a subjective stand-in for "shares my political/economic/social values" and therefore reverts to the activities I described previously anyway.

How many bankers and CEOs on Wall Street do you think have multiple advanced degrees from the best schools? How many of them have run billion dollar organizations with thousands of people working under them? It's a whole hell of a lot, yet despite them being far and away more "qualified" by any objective metric there is a large cross-section of voters who would never vote for them. Qualification is in the eyes of the beholder.

See the thing is "most qualified" is a subjective stand-in for "shares my political/economic/social values" and therefore reverts to the activities I described previously anyway.

How many bankers and CEOs on Wall Street do you think have multiple advanced degrees from the best schools? How many of them have run billion dollar organizations with thousands of people working under them? It's a whole hell of a lot, yet despite them being far and away more "qualified" by any objective metric there is a large cross-section of voters who would never vote for them. Qualification is in the eyes of the beholder.
Running a business/corporation and running the government are two completely different things. Even Carly Fiorina said this. And Meg Whitman is a nice example in that you can't buy votes. Maybe if Whitman had a bit more substance in her campaign rather than "oh look I'm fucking rich and am using my own money to campaign," she might have won.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In a perfect world, campaigning would consist of getting your platform across accurately and effectively rather than attacking your opponent to make them look worse than you. Of course, in that perfect world, people would also follow through with the platform they were elected on. In our world, neither happens.

Completely unrelated, but our premier in BC stepped down about 12 hours ago so I'm in a pretty good mood even though it looks like you guys are in for another 2+ years of nothing getting done.

In a perfect world each candidates major policies would be outlined in a purely factual way and provided to voters. Then each candidate would be legally obliged to either create or support a bill covering each of the aforementioned policies.

We don't accept poor performance from anyone else like we do from politicians - if I go to an Indian restaurant tomorrow and order a Chana Aloo I'm not going to be paying for it if they serve me up a Vegetable Korma.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I voted for neither Whitman nor Brown simply for their attitude. Yes, slam ads are "all politics" but these were probably the worst and most irritating I'd ever seen, not to mention that both candidates were extremely unenthusiastic. In short, I feel that neither opponent deserved my vote. I went yes on Prop 19, despite the fact that I have never touched anything as much as a cigarette, but I was disappointed (though not surprised) at the outcome. If you want to smoke your sweet leaf and not get busted, get to the damn polls and fill in that little line! Oh well, too late now. Marijuana will be legal in California one day; it's inevitable, and for the very fact that Prop 19 existed, the day will be soon. Fiorina lost, so my whole ballot pretty much went to waste except that a family friend of mine got appointed to state assembly for my district (woot)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)