5 Titans and a Prankster

Hello Fellow Smogonites, and welcome to my second RMT: 5 Titans and a Prankster. This team is relatively new, but is doing well. Not to say that I haven't tested it on PS; I have. I do know, however, that it could be better. This team is one of the many that I have devoted to an amazing, and very underrated, poke: Whimsicott. I once was lucky enough to, in a random battle, get a Whimsicott and a Volcarona. The duo worked so well that I wanted to test it out in OU. This is the third team that I have made trying that out. The strategy has worked very well every time. I put in another 4 titans (Volcarona being the first, of course) who synergized well with each other and these two. That is how this team was produced.

The Team at a Glance

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Moves:
Taunt
Encore
Stun Spore
Giga Drain

Whimsicott is generally my lead. Sometimes I lead with Scizor, however, if I sense an unfavorable match-up. Whimsicott is the star of this team. It has managed to take 3 pokes down on its own, which is crazy for a poke with terrible attacking stats and only one attacking move. Taunt is there to prevent hazards and status. Encore locks pokes into set up or other unfavorable moves. For example, a Hippowdon is going for Ice Fang to finish Whimsicott off. It takes two Ice Fangs usually. After the first one, I Encore. Whimsicott will faint, but now Volcarona is in a great place to get off a QD or two. Stun Spore is there because it is fun to spread paralysis and slow down opposing teams. The 25% chance of hax is also nice. Giga Drain is my final move. It prevents me from being Taunt bait, is STAB, gives recovery, and does some damage in the process.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
Moves:
Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance
Giga Drain

Volcarona is this team's sweeper. It is, imo, the best sweeper in the tier, hindered only by SR and the most dedicated of Special Walls. QD is there for setting up. It allows me to take even super-effective, specially-based moves well. Bug Buzz is STAB. Fiery Dance is also STAB and has great coverage alongside Bug Buzz. It also has a nice chance of giving me another SpA boost. Giga Drain rounds off the coverage, allowing me to take down Water types, who plague the OU tier, with ease. I chose Giga Drain over a Hidden Power because it sees more use. Heatran can be problematic, but is less common than Jellicent and Keldeo, both of whom also resist my STAB moves. Dragons are generally frail, and are taken down by Bug Buzz, in Lati@s' case, Giga Drain, in Chomp's case, and in a Fiery Dance or two, in the case of mence and d-nite, especially if I have rocks down. Landorus-T also goes down to Fiery Dance.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs --> Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
Moves:
Surf
Secret Sword
Hidden Power [Electric] --> Hidden Power [Ice]
Icy Wind --> Hydro Pump

Keldeo gives me a pseudo-FWG core. With Specs equipped, Keldeo is one of the most feared wall-breakers to step into OU. Surf is for STAB and can take advantage of the Rain that so many teams summon. Secret Sword is another STAB and takes care of Blissey and Chansey. I chose HP Electric for its ability to handle Water types. My team, as you may have figured by now, was struggling against certain Water types. I have made quite a few changes from when this team started to now to combat this, including HP Electric and Giga on Volcarona. Icy Wind is there because Keldeo doesn't get Ice Beam. With Specs, Icy Wind does quite the number to things anyways. The EVs are standard. If anyone has a good IV spread for HP Electric, please let me know.
I changed Keldeo to a scarf set. It works well with a Scarf and is a good revenge killer. Surf, Hydro, and Secret Sword are all STAB. HP Ice is there to deal with all of the things in OU that are weak to Ice. I may change Hydro to something else. It sees very little use. But I'm not sure what to change it to.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
Moves:
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Pursuit

Ahh...the standard CB Scizor. This set is, has been, and will continue to be a trademark of the OU tier. Scizor's typing is amazing. Its moves are predictable enough; yet it still gives teams so much trouble. U-Turn is for scouting, STAB, and momentum. Bullet Punch is for priority, more STAB, and nabs a Technician boost. Superpower is for coverage. Pursuit is to get the Psychics and Ghosts, especially Magic Bounce users, on the switch.

Latios @ Choice Scarf --> Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
Draco Meteor
Thunderbolt --> Psyshock
Ice Beam --> Surf
Trick --> Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios is my revenge killer of choice. It outspeeds almost everything in OU, even at +1 and can fire off deadly attacks. Draco is for STAB and does ridiculous amounts of damage coming off of 130 SpA. I chose BoltBeam over HP Fire and Surf because I like the coverage it brings, and I feel that the former two are too situational. Trick is there to cripple walls, especially the blobs. I chose to forgo Psyshock in favor of Trick because Draco does more than even a SE Psyshock, due to STAB. I have been considering changing this set to Specs and Keldeo's to Scarf, but I prefer Keldeo's coverage for wall-breaking, and Latios' speed for revenge killing. Thoughts?
Latios is loving his new specs. He hits like a nuke with them. Latios is a great hit and run poke. Draco and Psyshock are STAB. Surf and HP Fire provide coverage.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
U-turn

Landorus-T has won itself a spot on my team as my defensive pivot. Its U-Turn is great for gaining momentum, and its Intimidate helps against Physical attackers. Rocks gives my team hazards. EQ is for STAB. Stone Edge gives me coverage and forms the EdgeQuake combo. U-Turn truly is the crux of this set, however. Landorus-T is also a good choice because of its high base 145 attacking stat, which allows it to keep offensive pressure high, a must for this team, and have bulk at the same time.

Tyranitar set:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 76 Spd / 180 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Crunch
Stone Edge
Earthquake

Tyranitar is the final member of this team. My team is by no means a Sand team. It works independent of the weather. Tyranitar is more a weather-changer than inducer. So many teams are reliant on their precious Sun or Rain. T-tar changes the weather, generally late-game, and screws over the opposing strategy. T-tar is my rocks user, although I don't set them up too too often, they are nice to have when I get the chance. Another reason Tyranitar is on my team is because of its offensive and defensive presence, which is highly overlooked. Crunch and Stone Edge are STAB. Crunch gives me good coverage on Ghosts and Psychics. Most of them think that I'll go for the Pursuit and, thus, choose to stay in, thinking they'll survive. Then, I go for the Crunch. Stone Edge and EQ together give T-tar the EdgeQuake combo, as well as giving my team much needed coverage.

Conclusion:
Thanks for taking the time to read through my RMT. I hoped you enjoyed it. It isn't quite as fabulous as my first one, which was a UU one (link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3477343) because I haven't played with this team for quite as long. Please feel free to give any and all suggestions. Criticism is warmly welcomed. And don't forget to Luvdisc if you liked it. And thank you all in advance for the posts to come.

Not a bad team here, and it's interesting to see that irritating ball of fluff on a team.

Anyway, I feel that Tyranitar does nothing for your team, save for breaking Whimsicott's Focus Sash and doing extra damage to all your other team members save Scizor. I would replace it with Defensive Landorus-T. Landorus-T can still lay down Stealth Rock, do some damage as well as being able to form a U-turn core with Scizor to provide momentum and tank physical hits. If you're so worried about weather, run Sunny Day > Giga Drain on Whimiscott. Messing over Sand Teams by using Sunny Day is a lot more beneficial for your team than the flipside, since Latios takes out Venusaur in the sun (see below) and Volcarona can abuse the extra power granted to it.

I would also consider adding a Rapid Spin user to your team, something like Specially Defensive Tentacruel who would have great synergy with Lando and would be great vs Rain Teams. However, I would replace Whimiscott for this and I'm reluctant to suggest that since you built the team around it. Food for thought though. Nom.

Finally, as a couple of minor changes:

Psyshock > Ice Beam on Latios. This allows you to better revenge kill Venusaur as well as deal with annoying CM sweepers (bar Jirachi). Ice Beam doesn't give you that much extra coverage anyway.

HP Ice > HP Elec | Hydro Pump > Icy Wind on Keldeo. Icy Wind's power is still fairly meh on Keldeo and HP Ice helps you grab some extra KOs. HP Electric just isn't a great Hidden Power, the only thing you're hitting with it is Jellicent. Also, Hydro Pump is great for that extra power. With Specs, it hits like a truck and it's great if you just want to smash something in the face.

Hope this helps

Lando Set

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant / Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Thanks for the rate! I'll definitely try out Landorus-T. I actually used to have it in that slot before I changed 3 of the pokes on my team. I am also going to try Psyshock on Latios. I don't think I'll go with Tenta though. Whimsicott is just too valuable. I'm also not sure about the Keldeo suggestions, but I'll try it out and see what happens.

EDIT: After further testing I have concluded that Landorus-T is there to stay and also, that I need a Rapid Spinner. That said, if I do go with Tenta, I think I'll use Breloom instead of Keldeo. Thoughts? Also, Ice Beam is better than Psyshock. I found myself missing Ice Beam in quite a few situations.

Hello Morningsun, you have a very interesting team here.

That said, no team is without its improvements, right? First, I'd start with Whimsicott. Having used my fair share of the cotton swab, I found priority LeechSeed to be incredibly useful. No Taunt user can outppace your current Whimsicott w/ its EVs, so there's no need to be worried about being Taunted yourself. Therefore, I suggest GigaDrain> LeechSeed as an alternative.

Next, I suggest using Surf over IceBeam & Psyshock over Thunderbolt on current Latios set. Your last comment suggests that you have taken somewhat of a liking to IceBeam, but ,in all honesty, it's very redundant. Surf and Psyshock both provide better coverage in terms of switch ins. Latios' worst nightmare is having a bulky Pokemon come in, eat a DracoMeteor with impunity and status/stall it to death. Surf provides you with a nice niche against such common switch ins to Latios.
Ex. 252 Hp/252 Sp.Def Heatran with a Calm nature

Well, it's all I can see that could help for now. Best of luck with your team. Hope this helps.
Whimsicott
Whimsicott@Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
Timid nature
252 Hp/ 252 Spd/ 4 Sp.Def
Taunt, LeechSeed, Encore & StunSpore

Latios
Latios@ChoiceScarf
Trait: Levitate
Timid nature
252 Sp.Attk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Def
DracoMeteor, Psyshock, Surf/HP(Fire) & Trick

I've never used Psyshock in conjunction with Surf before. I'll definitely try it out and edit this post once I've tested. I have used Leech Seed before as well. I'll retest it though. I try things and then change them and then change the rest of my team and realize that I should go back to what I used to have. If you look at my UU RMT you'll see that that's what happened with Virizion.

Hey there, nice to see Whimiscott getting some love :) however there are a few things I can suggest.

Firstly, I think that Latios should have the Choice Specs and Keldeo should have the Choice Scarf. Keldeo outspeeds Modest Venusaur under sun and terrorises offensive rain teams even more with the extra speed. Latios prefers to play hit-and-run with Draco Meteor and its other coverage moves, Choice Specs is more suited to this as it can hit the switch in much harder.

Also, on the subject of Latios, try a moveset of Surf / Psyshock / Hidden Power Fire / Draco Meteor to hit hard in rain or sun with Surf and Hidden Power Fire respectively. Psyshock hits special walls that would otherwise be good checks, and allows Latios to revenge kill fighting types like Breloom, Keldeo, Toxicroak etc with ease. Note that Draco Meteor is better against the increasingly rare Conkeldurr.

Well that's it for the rate I'm afraid. I was going to suggest Landorus-T in place of Tyranitar too but I got ninja-ed :( the slow U-Turn and Intimidate are extremely useful. Anyway, nice team and good luck

Thanks^^ As you could probably tell from the RMT itself, I was actually considering the item switch for quite a while. And ya, Landorus-T is working quite well, especially when the Ninetales doesn't burn me with Flamethrower (actually happened) X)

EDIT:
Item switch worked great. Tentacruel left me missing Whimsicott.

Hey morningsun, I love the team centered around that little Q-tip >.<

Everything looks good from my perspective but I'll have to agree with Ninja Dewott.
Instead of switching Whimsy with SDef Tentacruel, I'd suggest switching Keldeo with a slightly mixed Tentacruel.

Tentacruel Set
Tentacruel @Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EV's: 252 HP/ 240 Def / 20 Spe
Timid Nature
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Scald
-Giga Drain

Special Defensive with a lot of EV's invested in Defense as well, and you keep your FWG core. Rain Dish and Giga Drain for nice health boost in rain and a powerful move against Rain users that might try to set up on Tentacruel. Toxic Spikes for any walls/sweepers with Rapid Spin to remove those nasty hazards your Team (Volcarona) doesn't like. Scald for STAB, boost in rain, and that small chance for burn ;)
Edit: If you don't like the Giga Drain you can opt for Ice Beam or maybe even Protect to allow more poison damage to the opponent from Toxic Spikes.

I don't like Keldeo because he is naught but a Special Revenge Killer, which I believe you have plenty of Special Attackers in Volcarona and Latios.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

You still have Scizor with Superpower. Most people use such pokes as Lucario/Terrakion to come in and hit Bliss/Chans with a Close Combat. Same basic principle. Using Choice band on Scizor I'm guessing your using him as a "get in - hit hard - get out" poke, so it works very well, especially with the extra power Band gives it.

Using Superpower on Blissey with your Scizor:

CB Technician Scizor 252 Atk vs LO Natural Cure Blissey 252 Def / 4 HP : 394 Atk VS 119 Def and 652 HP (120 Base Power): 854 - 1005 (130.98% - 154.14%)
CB Technician Scizor 252 Atk vs LO Natural Cure Blissey 252 Def / 252 HP : 394 Atk VS 119 Def and 714 HP (120 Base Power): 854 - 1005 (119.6% - 140.75%)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)