A Draconic, Rock-Hard Ironfist [OU RMT]

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
Hello Smogon~ I'm here because I've decided to give DPP another try, and thought I would build an all-around new team instead of using any of my outdated ones.

I'm a bit new to the changes, so spare me.

Team at a Glance

First off, I might tell that I didn't start building the team from a lead; I focused on building it slightly around my Core, some of my favorite Pokemons in this metagame.

Ah, lovely, red Scizor. I've loved him since GSC, and I was really glad when I found out he became a beast with the Plat move he got, Bullet Punch. I throw a Scizor in almost each team I have. I've also liked Heatran ever since I laid my eyes on him, and I love how versatile he can be.

So I wanted some synergy, and I knew exactly what to add; Tyranitar! Not only he provides Sandstorm, which both Scizor and Heatran take advantage of since they aren't hurt by it, but he also has a great typing coverage with the aforementioned Pokemon! Enough said.

(Another red pokemon? I'm seeing a pattern...)
So as soon as I threw in Tyranitar in the mix, I realized Latias would give great support to it. Latias can take Ground moves for Heatran and Tyranitar, Latias can also take Fire attacks and kick an OHKO most of the time in return. This has excellent SpD and HP, I just love Latias.

Jirachi also used to be a big staple in most of my teams, and like Heatran, has a great versatility. One thing I love about Jirachi is that it has synergy with Heatran almost always. I ofted for a lead set with Stealth Rock, Choice Scarf, and Trick. Need I say more?

Starmie was... a bit of a weird pick. I really knew I NEEDED a Water type to balance this team out a bit, and a Spinner, but I still don't feel at ease with this in my team. Latias kills what Starmie can't, and vice-versa. Starmie works fine standalone, though, thanks to BoltBeam and its decent speed.

Alright, time to start with the team.

Team In-Depth

Shooting Star (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Trick

Lead Jirachi. One of the reasons why I picked over other stuff was because he can abuse Sandstorm resist, and has a good synergy with my TormenTran due to the Choice Trick/Torment combination. This is pretty basic; Iron Head to cripple suicide leaders, Stealth Rock for entry hazards.

Tyrant (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 164 HP/252 Atk/92 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

The Sandstreamer, The Warhammer, The Killer. His name doesn't matter, what matters is what he can do. Not only he's incredibly bulky, especially with the SpD boost thanks to Sandstorm, but he's a beast. Boasting 604 Attack, this beast can KO anything it proposes to KO. Crunch is to get rid of the pesky Latias, Cresselia, Rotom formes, stuff of the like. Earthquake is mostly for coverage. Pursuit is for those Dark-weak Pokemon that thing they can run away like nothing. Stone Edge is for taking advantage of the gigantic Attack stat and STAB, will leave a real dent on the opposing team no matter what.

Cutman (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Superpower

The Star of the team. My preferred set for Scizor; Sword Dance Sweeper. One Sword Dance and this thing is in to do some real damage. Works great with Heatran as they back each other up. I picked Bullet Punch and Quick Attack for being a priority Scizor. I can hit almost everything with priority and it will hurt any way you see it. Superpower is for the typical Scizor counter switch-ins.

I've been contemplating changing this to the CB set, though... It's not difficult or anything to get a Swords Dance out, but Pursuit and U-Turn, plus a gargantuan Attack stat right at the start seem quite tempting to me. Want some insight on this.

Molten (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP/220 Spd/32 SAtk/12 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Torment
- Protect
- Lava Plume

Co-Star of the team. I just love Heatran. Anything he does he does it greatly. I glanced over this set and instantly fell in love with it. Oh so many times Subs/Torment/Protect have proven an useful mix that kills away even Heatran counters because they lack 2 hits that hit Heatran hard. Sandstorm and a Burn status just make this the more delicious, chipping away a lot of health. And then you have Stealth Rock from Jirachi, in case they even think of switching. All-around a great Pokemon.

Jörmungandr (Latias) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timidnature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Trick
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse

The Sweeper Latias. Salamence got nothing on this. This man-eater not only has better Speed and Defenses than Salamence, but a better type-coverage, both defensively and offensively. It resists Stealth Rock, unlike Salamence.

I modified this Latias a little bit to fit the team better. Trick so it can annoy another Pokemon if my Heatran Torments it, and Surf instead of Thunderbolt because Starmie already has that. Draco Meteor for the godlike type coverage.

Ryuusei (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/156 Def/216 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

At first this was only a filler, but it has been a decent Pokemon to use. Rapid Spin helps to get hazards away, Thunderbolt instead of Surf because Latias makes a better use of Surf, and Ice Beam for a BoltBeam mix. I can use Natural Cure to absorb status ailments.

I was considering giving this a bit less Special/Defense to give it more Sp. Attack, but not sure about this Pokemon altogether.

Conclusion

This is my first RMT ever, so feedback on how I did would help a lot. The Pokemon I'm most willing to change is Starmie.

I have quite a hard time dealing with Steels and Water types, so I was considering adding Magnezone to the team. This seemed great, but the problem is that it would be my forth Steel Pokemon in my team. I will do it if that's fine, though; I don't have much experience on this.

Contemplating switching my Latias to any of the CM sets...

P.D.: I have been considering switching Starmie for a really bulky Water type. Read: Suicune, Vaporeon? But I really want Magnezone... ;_;

P.D.D: Gliscor can take advantage of Sandstorm with Sand Veil and Sandstorm resist, I guess...?

edit: completed. Rate away.

tape

Threat list

Defensive Threats:

Blissey – Jirachi, Tyranitar, and Scizor completely stop this.
Bronzong – Jirachi could Trick it. Tyranitar can do damage, to some extent. I guess Scizor Superpower can fight against it? Heatran doesn't stand much of a chance against this if it's Heatproof. If this set-ups Reflect, I'm in a pretty bad spot.
Celebi – Jirachi has several times flinch-killed this. Tyranitar plain-outright OHKOs with Crunch, and Pursuit if it switches (?). Heatran can indefinitely stall it.
Cresselia – Tyranitar Crunch only.
Dusknoir- Tyranitar Crunch, again.
Forretress – Heatran definitely. Latias can kill it with Surf, Starmie can try with Thunderbolt/Recover, and can Rapid Spin the entry hazards Forry sets.
Gliscor – Latias Surf
Gyarados - Starmie, Tyranitar can put a huge dent in it with Stone Edge.
Hippowdon – Latias rapes this poor thing.
Jirachi – I have a bit of problem with this... Scizor can Superpower, Heatran can stall it if it Subs/Torment on switch, I guess.
Rotom-A – Tyranitar can kill it in so many different ways.
Skarmory – Ah crap, this will be a hard one... I honestly don't know.
Snorlax – Scizor Superpower, Tyranitar can kill it with 2HKOs I'm pretty sure.
Suicune – Urgh, this has been so difficult to deal with. I don't really know.
Swampert – Another annoying bulky water type. Latias can Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse it, though.
Tyranitar – derp derp Bullet Punch/Superpower/Surf, and a fantastic Heatran stall if it's choiced.
Vaporeon – Ugh kill me ;____; I DON'T KNOW
Zapdos – Tyranitar Stone Edge, Heatran has stall-killed A LOT of Zapdos.

Offensive Threats:

Azelf – Bullet Punch can deal with it, I guess
Breloom – Scarfed Jirachi, Heatran if it has a sub and... yeah
Empoleon- I have so much problem with this.
Gengar - Bullet Punch, Heatran, Jirachi
Heatran – Uh... Superpower predict??? Latias can Surf it to hell back and forth and take the hits really nicely. Tyranitar can deal with it.
Infernape – Scizor SD'd Quick-Attack, and... Latias Surf.
Jolteon- help ;_;
Latias – Tyranitar, laff. Latias can balls-fight it.
Kingdra – I HATE WATER TYPES
Lucario – unnnnnnnngggggg, Latias???
Machamp – Latias sorta walls this.
Magnezone – Heatran... to an extent.
Mamoswine – I haven't really seen this, so... Tyranitar. Scizor laughs on its face, Latias can Surf it, Heatran can Lava Plume it, and especially stall it if it's Choiced.
Metagross – Latias, Tyranitar, Heatran.
Salamence - Scizor to an extent, if it has a SD... Heatran has stalled a few of them. Latias and Starmie definitely kill this on sight.
Scizor – Heatran
Starmie – Uh... Starmie? Latias could kill it, even if it had Ice Beam
Weavile – haha Scizor, Scarfed Jirachi Iron Head, you name it.

Nice team, but I see a huge Lucario weakness. He can set up on Latias, Ttar, and Jirachi, and then you have nothing to stop him. To fix that, I'd suggest Gliscor over Jirachi. Jirachi really isn't doing that much to you, as Gliscor can also SR and U turn. Gliscor also provides a better check to Lucario and Tyranitar, the latter of which will beat you if Scizor gets trapped. Now I'd move Starmie to the lead Position, giving it a Life orb and Hydro Pump over surf. This gives you a great anti lead, as well as some added strength on the special side of the spectrum.

Gliscor @Leftovers
Impish; 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Stealth Rock / U turn / Earthquake / Roost

Starmie @Life Orb
Timid; 252 SpA / 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Rapid Spin

Some more minor things, go with roost over QA on Scizor, as you won't get much use out of it. QA is really only for Gyarados, who has a hard time setting up on you. I'd also suggest Aqua Tail on ttar over EQ, as it lets you hit walls such as Gliscor and Hippowdon harder, and EQ really doesn't add any coverage.

tape

Much truth to your post! EQ isn't what it used to be in Advanced.

That Starmie gave me an idea; I could remove Jirachi, Starmie as lead, and throw Magnezone in.

I would appreciate it a lot if people helped me figuring a way to include Magnezone somehow in there...

Don't know why I'm so adamant on removing Jirachi...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)