A perseption of the world around us: Descartes' Deceiving demon

This topic; philosophical it may be, runs though almost everyone's mind at some point I'm sure. The basic idea is that of "what if i am the only thing that exists - and everyone and everything is an illusion (of mind or a 3rd party demon).

Here, I'm going to touch on some background knowledge, which i suggest you read unless you are familiar with Descartes' work:

(Begin history lesson

Rene descartes was a french Philosopher around 1600. He originally came up with the famous quote "I think, therefore I am" - he defined his existance on the basis that he can think for himself, control his actions, have ideas, etc.
Although this may seem small - it is actually the basis of a wide range of philosophy that would come later on.

Descartes then expanded on this presumption by creating his idea of "deceiving demons" - this is where a "demon" outside of oneself, can manipulate and alter the world, and everyone who resides within it. This was backed by his idea of "i think, therefore i am". Although the existance of such "demons" is pretty hard to comprehend - unless you also believe in God. But many people have come to see these demons as their own subconcious - as the subconscious may have ulterior motives, that's the whole point of the subconscious: one can't know it all. So peoples minds can be deceiving them.

mini history lesson over)

Wherever or not you take the demons to be a higher intelligence like a god - or part of your own subconscious is partially irrelavent in this topic. It's quite an interesting idea that we are almost spectators of everything we see. Something to relate this to is the Matrix - where "the matrix" is a deceptive blind that is pulled over everyone's eyes. Another example could be from the film "inception" to a certain extent.

The thing is - it's very hard to disprove any of this. I mean think about it, any arguement against this made up reality could have been up there by the demon. Humans are also very emotional - it's within our nature to jump to conclusions and let parts of our lives register on emotional levels, which can affect our judgement. If we can only prove we exist - what about everyone and everything else? (I'm not going too deep - start trying to define "reality and so on but, think about it).

If you read that, thank you for following despite my dyslexia. If I have been unclear or unfactual anywhere, feel free to edit or inform me.

Anyway- discussion, since i was about 6 i've always questioned the fact that i may be the only "real" thing here. But my understanding is that many other people also think this. In fact, I could be imagioning my computer, my barking dog, the girl i sat next to on the bus, even everyone who will read this. This is also quite a serious topic: people often do not believe reality and can commit suicide, from a more medical point of view, there are many conditions that link to subconscious complications. If you have any thoughts/ stories/ questions/ feel free to post.

the fact that solipsism is hard to disprove doesn't make it any more sound. it's pretty hard to disprove that the devil planted dinosaur fossils to trick us, too!

i once discussed this with my father and he made a very interesting point; he told me that it's pretty hard to entertain solipsistic thoughts once you have a child.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
so this thread might be my subconscious hinting that it's just making up shit.....?

This thread is my subconscious trying to tell me the truth.

Then the rest of my subconscious trying to create a contradiction.

I've never had any faith in this theory, the very fact that this theory exists, and that other people have this same inkling that I do is enough proof that the inkling shouldn't exist.

Or something.

It's just pointless to worry about so I don't worry about it.

The same thing could be applied to every branch of philosophy.

This solipsism theory is definitely too egocentric for my liking, just sayin'.
Except that philosophy basically gave rise to all the sciences and the scientific theory, as well as many other schools of thought like medicine. Oh lets also not forget about ethics; as progression countering as it is, it really is our best bet to create win-win scenarios, or at least ones that are less unbalanced.

As for Solipsism, it's pretty much just trying to rationalize aspects of the world that the creator of solipsism didn't really understand and then a bunch of people trying to rationalize his rationalization, or at least using it to justify crap like demons. It's what I'd call an intellectual reach around.

As far as I know, Descartes wasn't trying to "justify" demons, though he may have believed in them. The way I see it, the "demon" he talked about was just a placeholder for the hypothetical manipulative being. A more modern version of this "demon" is comparable to a bunch of scientists sitting at a computer with our brain hooked up to a device, which conjures up our entire consciousness and perceptions about reality.

That being said, I don't personally adhere to this belief, but it is one I thought about even before I learned about Descartes and his works.

The fact something is hard to disprove, doesn't make that fact more accurate, nor real. It simply makes it hard to disprove, if not impossible. For instance I could say there is an invisible Santa Claus eating cookies next to me (I'm lucky, I know) and you would have a very hard time proving I am wrong. Although an interesting theory (Solipsism), IMO it is very unfounded and rather irrational.

Iain Banks, in his book Transition, says that in a particular school of extraplanar philosophy, any philosophy that makes no better predictions or conclusions than solipsism is disregarded.

As far as I know, Descartes wasn't trying to "justify" demons, though he may have believed in them. The way I see it, the "demon" he talked about was just a placeholder for the hypothetical manipulative being. A more modern version of this "demon" is comparable to a bunch of scientists sitting at a computer with our brain hooked up to a device, which conjures up our entire consciousness and perceptions about reality.

That being said, I don't personally adhere to this belief, but it is one I thought about even before I learned about Descartes and his works.
I didn't say he was justifying them, I said he was rationalizing them.

I'm sure everyone's thought about this at one point or another. I don't really buy it though. It would be far more likely that I'm insane rather than the only being in existence. (No, that's not more self-deprecation, I'm serious.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)