ORAS Doubles OU A Sirens Song (Mega Gardevoir/Weavile Core RMT)

Hi everyone! I entered the world of doubles not to long ago for a change from singles for a bit of fun but ended up very engrossed in this format. My main two Pokemon who I used to build around were Mega Gardevoir and Weavile as both Pokemon are very powerful and have the ability to work well in unison with Mega Gard being able to take a big chunk of HP out of both opposing mons while Weavile can cripple mons with knock off, wield priority in ice shard and generally weaken or OHKO a Pokemon for Mega Gard to finish off.
Note: I don't really like using legendary or mythical Pokemon (No hate please, I don't care if others use them I just prefer not to myself) so it would be appreciated if you don't suggest for me to use one. *Thanks*

Team Breakdown

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Mega Gardevoir is my main Pokemon and usually one of the first Pokemon I send out. Its great Power and decent speed boosted by a timid nature and 252 EVs invested into speed help it speed as much as possible while 252 EVs in SpAtt help weaken the opposing team enabling the rest of my team to finish weakened mons' off. Hyper voice and psyshock are mandatory, however I try to spam hyper voice as often as I can because of the ability to damage both opposing mons and that it's very powerful through pixilate. Focus blast helps break through Pokemon such as Heatran and Bisharp. I run trick room instead of protect as it helps shut down trick room teams which would otherwise annihilate my team. I use trick room when I suspect that one of the opposing mons will use it to counter it the same turn as it is used.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

Weavile is an amazing sweeper with its combination of STABs, coverage and priority. It also makes a great partner for Mega Gard as it is able to cripple bulky psychic types with knock off, OHKO Lando-T with icicle crash even at -1. Life orb adds extra damage in exchange for a small amount of HP, although due to its poor bulk it often gets OHKOed or dies to life orb damage after taking a hit. I've use Mega Gard in tandem to Weavile to help take down Weavile's threats to keep it unharmed and in the game longer. Low Kick also helps take down steel types which threatens both Weavile and Mega Gardevoir.

Breloom @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Force Palm
- Bullet Seed

I added Breloom into my team to help beat steel types. I decided to opt for maximum speed investment and a jolly nature to fit with the general theme of my team and because I feel that its bulkier version is too lackluster. Mach punch is boosted by technician and adds some priority to help it overcome faster Pokemon and finish off weakened Pokemon. Force palm is a 60BP move boosted to 90BP by technician which also has a chance to paralyze the target. This is its strongest move which I use whenever I need to pack a punch. Bullet seed is its grass type stab boosted to 37.5BP per hit. This is great for water types such as Azumarill, even if it is a little unpredictable. Spore is the last move on my set and is great to temporarily stop a Pokemon from setting up or just giving my other Pokemon extra time to take it out. Lastly lum berry protects it from will-o-wisp and thunder waves which cripples Breloom.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 208 Def / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpD
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

I put in Gyarados to aid Breloom and Mega Gard with its ability intimidate lowering physical attackers attack and thunder wave to cripple fast sweepers. This allows Breloom and Gardevoir to hit first and helps Mega Gardevoir survive physical more physical hits. HP and defence investments help it tank Lando-T's stone edge. An adamant nature helps take out bulky ground and fire types with waterfall while stone edge really helps against Mega Charizard Y and talonflame. Taunt is great to stop set up sweepers and trick room setters and protect against any shenanigans in general. Lefties is used just to add some reliable recovery to him.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I love using Gengar. Its pretty good speed and his very good offence coupled with its unpredictability and versatility makes Gengar very threatening. I used my favorite set and adjusted a little to synergies with the team well. Focus sash makes sure Gengar lives the turn it breaks (Unless it's being targeted twice) which gives it slightly more longevity and works wonders with destiny bond. Whenever Gengar is on its last legs and I predict that it's being targeted I use destiny bond and take a Pokemon down with it. Its a specially good for taking down Pokemon who use multi-target moves such as Zard-Y, Mega Gard, Sylveon and Zapdos. Sludge bomb and shadow ball are its powerful STABS while the EV investment maximizes its SpAtt and speed. HP fire is the specific change I made to this set. It helps tackle Scizor and Ferrothorn with the fire power the rest of my team is lacking.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 56 SpA / 100 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split

Rotom-Wash brings some bulk to my team and punishes physical attackers with Will-o-wisp, this greatly aids Mega Gard because of its lacking physical defencive capabilities. Sitrus berry as well as pain split gives it some form of recovery, even if it isn't very reliable. Hydro pump and thunderbolt are its mandatory STABs which helps it bring some offencive presence. The EV investment makes Rotom-W considerably bulky in both defence and SpDef meaning it can wall a larger variety of Pokemon and a modest nature and EVs in SpAtt helps it become more powerful offensively. Rotom-W paired with Gyarados works very well as Gyarados' intimidate and Rotom-W's will-o-wisp paired together really cripples physical attackers while Gyarados can also T-wave special attackers.

Thank you for reading, I hope you can help make my team better. I've managed to ladder up into the top 500 on Showdown which probably isn't great but is an achievement to me seeing as I only recently started doubles properly.

Matame

New Rules
Hey there. The jump from singles to doubles is quite big, and honestly the team composition doesnt seem too bad. Quite a few of your mons synergise with eachother. However I notice non of your mons are running protect. Protect is important in doubles to help shift momentum in your favour. Certain mons, like sash gar which you are running, don't really see a need for protect as they need their moveslots for other things and make up for it with incredible bulk, items like sash and/or speed. The Moves i think you could remove on your existing mons to make room for protect are:
  • Trick room on gard, your team doesn't appreciate this form of speed control.
  • Pain split, to put it simply in doubles you seldom find the opportunity to pain split, and rotom has sitrus for recovery anyway.
Now at a glance your diancie matchup isn't the best, and i feel your team needs a steel and already has eq immunes and fire resists to make up for it, so i would add Jirachi. Now you can threaten opposing gard and diancie more reliably.
Gengar is a nice fit on your team. However i dont think your set does much for it, so i'd opt for a more support oriented one. Now you have a better time vs Physical attackers like kang which would otherwise sucker you, a form of speed control and a way to stop trick room.
Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Def / 68 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Follow Me
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Icy Wind

good luck with your team :D

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hey Luxray!

I'm really glad you decided to try out Doubles, it seems like you have a pretty good eye for building already which is huge. Matame already got a lot of the points that I would make, but I think there's a couple other changes that could help you out. As Matame mentioned, Protect is definitely your friend. Although in Singles it can often feel like a momentum suck, in Doubles it's critically important for positional play.

The biggest change that should probably be made would be the inclusion of a Steel-type, which (again, as Matame mentioned) greatly improves your matchup against Mega Diancie and opposing Mega Gardevoir. Since you don't like playing with legendary Pokemon, the most viable option I can see would be Aegislash, replacing Gengar. While Sash Gengar is a solid set that does well in the metagame and I know you love it, a lot of its supportive options aren't as helpful to your team as Aegislash's could be. A standard Substitute set allows you to still take on Ferrothorn and Scizor, while the Steel- and Ghost- dual STABs share very similar coverage to Gengar's Poison-/Ghost- options.

Aside from that, I'd only make minor changes to each member. For starters, Mega Gardevoir should run Protect > Trick Room to help it stay alive longer, especially since you are running no bulk. Trick Room to unset opposing Trick Room is really fun when it works, but the small amount of utility there is outweighed by the benefits of Protect. 8 HP EVs let it live Landorus-I's Sludge Bomb, and Trace > Telepathy benefits you since there are no spread attacks that Mega Garde could accidentally be hit by on your team. Weavile gets access to Fake Out, which can probably replace Low Kick as it is one of the best moves in Doubles OU. Fake Out support gives Aegislash more chances to click Sub, helps prevent Trick Room, and gives Breloom free turns to use Spore. Speaking of Breloom, Protect > Force Palm is a near necessity due to its frailty, and Force Palm doesn't even OHKO Mega Kangaskhan. You should also consider a Focus Sash > Lum Berry to ensure that Breloom is able to put its target to sleep. For Gyarados, a Sitrus Berry > Leftovers helps it take on Mega Kangaskhan due to the boost recovery and also ensures it can live two -1 Landorus-T Stone Edges. Gyarados likely won't be on the field long enough for Leftovers recovery to surpass Sitrus recovery, so the change is almost entirely a positive one. As Matame mentioned, Rotom-W doesn't often get the chance to use Pain Split, so you're often better off using Protect. If you don't like using Protect, Thunder Wave is also an option as most players will assume you only have one of Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, and the team is otherwise a little on the slow side. You should also consider a more offensive spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 132 SpA / 28 SpD; Modest, which lets Rotom-W prevent Azumarill from setting up Belly Drum by dealing more than 75% with Thunderbolt. While your team has a few ways to deal with Azumarill, it is a huge threat in the current metagame and you can never have too many ways to beat it. The bulk still avoids the KO from Latios' Draco Meteor or Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out + Return.

I hope I helped, feel free to respond with any questions or ask around in the Smogon Doubles room on Pokemon Showdown!
Ability: Trace
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 132 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Note: I don't really like using legendary or mythical Pokemon (No hate please, I don't care if others use them I just prefer not to myself) so it would be appreciated if you don't suggest for me to use one. *Thanks*
Now at a glance your diancie matchup isn't the best, and i feel your team needs a steel and already has eq immunes and fire resists to make up for it, so i would add Jirachi. Now you can threaten opposing gard and diancie more reliably.
Matame is an idioit, didn't read the rmt smh, but I definitely would listen to talkingtree 's suggestions and replace Gengar with Aegislash as it helps overalls and fits the requirement of no legends​

Hey there. The jump from singles to doubles is quite big, and honestly the team composition doesnt seem too bad. Quite a few of your mons synergise with eachother. However I notice non of your mons are running protect. Protect is important in doubles to help shift momentum in your favour. Certain mons, like sash gar which you are running, don't really see a need for protect as they need their moveslots for other things and make up for it with incredible bulk, items like sash and/or speed. The Moves i think you could remove on your existing mons to make room for protect are:
  • Trick room on gard, your team doesn't appreciate this form of speed control.
  • Pain split, to put it simply in doubles you seldom find the opportunity to pain split, and rotom has sitrus for recovery anyway.
Gengar is a nice fit on your team. However i dont think your set does much for it, so i'd opt for a more support oriented one. Now you have a better time vs Physical attackers like kang which would otherwise sucker you, a form of speed control and a way to stop trick room.
Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Def / 68 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Follow Me
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Icy Wind

good luck with your team :D
Hey Luxray!

I'm really glad you decided to try out Doubles, it seems like you have a pretty good eye for building already which is huge. Matame already got a lot of the points that I would make, but I think there's a couple other changes that could help you out. As Matame mentioned, Protect is definitely your friend. Although in Singles it can often feel like a momentum suck, in Doubles it's critically important for positional play.

The biggest change that should probably be made would be the inclusion of a Steel-type, which (again, as Matame mentioned) greatly improves your matchup against Mega Diancie and opposing Mega Gardevoir. Since you don't like playing with legendary Pokemon, the most viable option I can see would be Aegislash, replacing Gengar. While Sash Gengar is a solid set that does well in the metagame and I know you love it, a lot of its supportive options aren't as helpful to your team as Aegislash's could be. A standard Substitute set allows you to still take on Ferrothorn and Scizor, while the Steel- and Ghost- dual STABs share very similar coverage to Gengar's Poison-/Ghost- options.

Aside from that, I'd only make minor changes to each member. For starters, Mega Gardevoir should run Protect > Trick Room to help it stay alive longer, especially since you are running no bulk. Trick Room to unset opposing Trick Room is really fun when it works, but the small amount of utility there is outweighed by the benefits of Protect. 8 HP EVs let it live Landorus-I's Sludge Bomb, and Trace > Telepathy benefits you since there are no spread attacks that Mega Garde could accidentally be hit by on your team. Weavile gets access to Fake Out, which can probably replace Low Kick as it is one of the best moves in Doubles OU. Fake Out support gives Aegislash more chances to click Sub, helps prevent Trick Room, and gives Breloom free turns to use Spore. Speaking of Breloom, Protect > Force Palm is a near necessity due to its frailty, and Force Palm doesn't even OHKO Mega Kangaskhan. You should also consider a Focus Sash > Lum Berry to ensure that Breloom is able to put its target to sleep. For Gyarados, a Sitrus Berry > Leftovers helps it take on Mega Kangaskhan due to the boost recovery and also ensures it can live two -1 Landorus-T Stone Edges. Gyarados likely won't be on the field long enough for Leftovers recovery to surpass Sitrus recovery, so the change is almost entirely a positive one. As Matame mentioned, Rotom-W doesn't often get the chance to use Pain Split, so you're often better off using Protect. If you don't like using Protect, Thunder Wave is also an option as most players will assume you only have one of Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave, and the team is otherwise a little on the slow side. You should also consider a more offensive spread of 252 HP / 96 Def / 132 SpA / 28 SpD; Modest, which lets Rotom-W prevent Azumarill from setting up Belly Drum by dealing more than 75% with Thunderbolt. While your team has a few ways to deal with Azumarill, it is a huge threat in the current metagame and you can never have too many ways to beat it. The bulk still avoids the KO from Latios' Draco Meteor or Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out + Return.

I hope I helped, feel free to respond with any questions or ask around in the Smogon Doubles room on Pokemon Showdown!
Ability: Trace
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Protect

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Fake Out

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Substitute
- King's Shield

EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 132 SpA / 28 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Matame is an idioit, didn't read the rmt smh, but I definitely would listen to talkingtree 's suggestions and replace Gengar with Aegislash as it helps overalls and fits the requirement of no legends​

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the slow reply I've been trying out your suggestions to get used to them. I've replaced Gengar with Aegislash, stared using the new EV spread on Rotom and added the rest of the changes to sets (mainly adding protect). my teams working really well now, thank you for your suggestions because it has really helped! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)