A successful OU team

Hey everybody Cosby here comin at you with an OU RMT! I had been struggling with team building latley. So I tryed a different method than what I was originally taught. Guess what it worked. Ok so here is the team buliding process.

:Team Buliding:

Step 1. I really wanted to use a Breloom. So I looked around and thought to myself I'm just going to use the sub punching set none of that fancy Swords dance stuff.

Step 2: I noticed that breloom is weak to fire, flying and psychic so I thought to my self what better pokemon to pair him with than Tyranitar. Then I thought to myself I have never tryed scarf-tar before I think Im gonna try it to kill of Breloom' threats. I also have problems with weather teams mostly sun so I thought hey wouldn't a sandstorm help me out?

Step 3: I realised we do not have any special attackers and tyranitar gets raped by fighting moves so what better pokemon to put then gengar? Tyranitar also resists the ghost and dark attacks aimed at gengar. Gengar also has the ground resistance too to help tyranitar.

Step 4: I realized I needed some defence. I normally am a hyper offensiv kinda guy with fierce frail sweepers but this time I'm gonna try some walls so what better wall then Chansey? with Eviolite it can even take physical moves.
Chansey is also great wish support.

Step 5 I needed some physical defence now. I took a good look at my team and thought Gliscor would do the job but shortly after a few battle I realized that once chansey is dead latios rips through my team because I have no dragon resisitance.

step 6: I thought to myself I need a wall who can resist dragon. It took me a second then it HIT ME. FERROTHORn!!!! I have tyranitar and starnie to resist his fire weakness and gengar for the fighting weakness.

Step 7: I needed a special sweeper and my fav special sweeper is starmie because of her rapid spin support. None of my team is weak to stealth rocks but its still nice to spin them away. At max speed starmie is beastly. He also gives me another fighting resistance as well as fire.

COMMENTS: I do see a gaping fighting weakness:( but gengar is immune to fighting which helps but.

Let's start.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

STARMIE! Starmie is one of my special sweepers. I usualy lead with starmie because he can wreck havoc to most leads and can stop politoed in it's track. Rapid spin is to of course get rid of rocks/spikes. My team dosen't really have a rock weakness though so I don't know if I should replace it with psychic. Starmie does get raped by scarf tar though which is a bummer. Conkeldurr is a pain in the ass for all of the teams I make so that still makes me wonder if I should run Psychic over rapid spin.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Disable
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

From doing some research I discovered this set. Basicly you abuse gengar's amazing speed. First you substitute they break the sub with there super effective move the you disable it and proceed to rape it with a move :). Gengar is also on this team for its many useful resistances. This set will only work in 5th gen because disable now has 100% accuracy. BUT this set has some flaws :(. It is completley walled by blissey as most special sets are but no problem thats why I also have breloom to set up on something. Dual chop fom a haxxorus breaks the sub the usualy does about 50% damage which allows me to get the 2hko on haxxorus.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Ice Beam/seismic toss
- Thunder Wave

CHANSEY RAGE QUIT. I used to not want to be a hypocrite and use this but it is truly a GREAT set. One problem it attracts excadrills and my only counter to excadril is Ferro. Excadril resists both statusses toxic and t-wave. I like to run t-wave over toxic because I find that many sweepers will come in on chansey and once a sweepr is PAR it's useless. The new wish mechanics have helped wish support so much now it takes half of the maximum hp of the pokemon who wished it. chansey's being 352 which is enough to fully heal all the pokemon on my team after a wish. Protect is If I ever need to heal her or stall. I don't know If i should run Seismic toss or ice beam. They both have thier pros and cons.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Scarf-tar just reading that should make you shudder in fear. Scarf tar loves: latios,latias, renuclius,starmie,gengar. basicly any pokemon with a dark weakness. I catch so many psychic pokemon with pursuit and commonly get rage quits. Crunch is for basic physical stab fire punch is to catch ferro. Im debating in weather(I think it's spelled like that) or not I should replace it with superpower to kill chanseys. Stone edge to take out those pesky thundurus :).

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Spore
- Facade
- Focus Punch

This set is rage quit worthy. Spore has 100% accuracy and hits everytime causing rage to many pokemon. This set is completley walled by ghost type pokemon but I have a scarf tar so it's not a problem at all. Scaf tar comes in on the stab move and proceeds to dominate with pursuit. I like to run facade over stone edge because people will commonly pull in thier celebis to try to stop this set but then they get raped by facade. Of course the cream in the coffee...FOCUS PAWNCH. Coming off a 394 attack and not to mention it's STAB that is gonna wreak some stuff.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

My physical wall. This is just the standard wall set that I got off of the analysis page. 0 spd IV for maximum gyro ball power. protect is for scouting purposes and leech seed to wall bulky water/chansey to an oblivion. Oh and stealth rock of course because it never hurt anybody to put down some entry hazards.

That's the team. I don't care if I made a typo or spelled something wrong. You're here to RMT not give me a grammar lesson. Thanks in advance :)

This is a pretty good team I admit. But there are some basic issues. One issue is Rotom. You have 2 grass pokemon but no grass attacks. I would start with replacing facade with seed bomb on breloom. Now you can hit stuff like rotom-w. Also I suggest you to use toxic on chansey. I feel toxic will be much more useful in taking out rotom and calm mind pokemon. Thunder wave is good but it does not really help when most of your team is slow and cant really benefit from it. You are also missing 4 ev's on tyranitar and gengar

Looks like a pretty solid team. On Tyranitar replace Crunch with either Earthquake or Superpower. You mentioned your team doesn't have a Stealth Rock weakness and you're right; replace Rapid Spin with Psyshock/Psychic or Recover. Beware of Spikers though, they can annoy Chansey. On Breloom, you could possibly replace Facade with Seed Bomb for STAB. On Chansey, I think you should run Seismic Toss over Ice Beam. Also, Toxic is probably better than Thunder-Wave because boosting sweepers will really annoy you. Hope I helped and good luck with the team!

Hey there.

1 major problem I see is that you have nothing that can take on Excadrill, especially after a Swords Dance. Same with Terrakion, who after 1 Rock Polish, can sweep you. You have 2 special attackers at the moment, Gengar being the less effective of the two, so replace it with an SD Gliscor to fix your weaknesses.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Speed
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt / Protect
- Swords Dance
- Ice Fang

SD Gliscor can be a real threat late game, and can do some major damage to stall. Gliscor destroys the likes of Excadrill and Terrakion, and with Taunt, it can shut down pokemon such as Skarmory. Since you have a Rapid Spinner, you can run Protect over Taunt if you wish in order to get more recovery / scout moves.

On Ferrothorn, run Thunder Wave over Protect, and Power Whip over Gyro Ball. 8 PP is pitiful for a wall's only attacking move, so Power Whip will fix that issue. Thunder Wave is very useful for paralyzing switch ins such as Thundurus and Scizor.

I would replace Chansey with a Blissey, as with sandstorm, Chansey will be losing health every turn. Also, run Seismic Toss on it over Ice Beam. If you decide to run Thunder Wave on Ferrothorn, run Toxic on Blissey; if not, keep Thunder Wave.

Finally, Nasty Plot Celebi and CM Virizion completely destroy your team. Therefore, replace Starmie with a Life Orb Latios in order to defeat these threats.

Latios @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Recover / Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Surf

Now you have 2 options here. Recover allows you to heal Latios after it takes hits, while Calm Mind transforms Latios into an extremely dangerous threat. Recover is the preferred option because you are using it to counter some pokemon, although if you feel that you do not need it, you can run Calm Mind with Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor.

Good luck.

On ferrothorn i would say run power whip over gyro ball.
When i was testing ferrothorn i found that gyro ball did way too little dammage for my taste.
For breloom , i see why you like to use facade , then again you should always try to avoid beeing ghosts meat , so i'd replace facade with seedbomb.
With a wish chansey + no rock weakness u wont be needing a rapid spinner as much as most teams would. So to get rid of your conkeldurr weakness , u can replace rapid spin with psychic as u allready said.

Other then that this team looks decent.

PS: Its wether , not weather . And wreck , not wreak . (grammar police lol )

On ferrothorn i would say run power whip over gyro ball.
When i was testing ferrothorn i found that gyro ball did way too little dammage for my taste.
For breloom , i see why you like to use facade , then again you should always try to avoid beeing ghosts meat , so i'd replace facade with seedbomb.
With a wish chansey + no rock weakness u wont be needing a rapid spinner as much as most teams would. So to get rid of your conkeldurr weakness , u can replace rapid spin with psychic as u allready said.

Other then that this team looks decent.

PS: Its wether , not weather . And wreck , not wreak . (grammar police lol )
Gyro Ball does decent damage with 0 Speed IVs and a Relaxed nature.

And it's weather.

Gyro Ball does decent damage with 0 Speed IVs and a Relaxed nature.

And it's weather.
Not how he was using it , but thats another thing and it doesnt matter that much as long as we understand what someone is saying .

Anyways gyro ball never really helped me as much as power whip did (been using a ferro with both of these moves for a few days)

To be perfectly blunt, sand sweepers will distroy you. The easiest stop to these is Gliscor or Skarmory, I would actually suggest skarmory here over ferrothorn, as it can set up hazards just as well as Ferrothorn. Use this:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Brave Bird / Taunt
- Roost
- Whirlwind

The standard spread here, the speed evs are for wob, so it doesn't screw you over, if your feeling risky then just run full defense.

Half your members are setup bait for spikes and lack a method of breaking through common defensive cores; your spinner, Starmie, is completely walled by the #1 hazard setter, Ferrothorn. You'll also have trouble switching into fighting types, as one misprediction and Gengar will be KO'd due to its relative frailty. ChestoRest Volcarona can potentially sweep you once it's grabbed a boost versus Ferrothorn, since all it needs is a bit of residual damage on Tyranitar and it's dead. Finally, sand sweepers like Excadrill and Landorus can power their way through your team with relative ease, as you lack a dedicated physical wall. There is no one Pokemon that will solve all these problems, but Jellicent would make an excellent choice over Gar due to its ability to break stall and counter Volcarona. To counter fighters and sand sweepers, I'd try Skarmory over Ferrothorn, using Stealth Rock on Chansey; this gives you quite a formidable entry hazard duo that is made even more effective by the fact that you now have Jellicent to act as a more reliable spin blocker than Gengar. You lose Ferro's Leech Seed but that is more a convenience than a necessity.
Jellicent @ Leftovers | Bold | Water Absorb | EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Scald | Taunt | Toxic | Recover

Skarmory @ Shed Shell | Impish | Sturdy | EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Spikes | Whirlwind | Roost | Brave Bird

With these changes I think you'll see definite improvement. Good luck with your team!

Half your members are setup bait for spikes and lack a method of breaking through common defensive cores; your spinner, Starmie, is completely walled by the #1 hazard setter, Ferrothorn. You'll also have trouble switching into fighting types, as one misprediction and Gengar will be KO'd due to its relative frailty. ChestoRest Volcarona can potentially sweep you once it's grabbed a boost versus Ferrothorn, since all it needs is a bit of residual damage on Tyranitar and it's dead. Finally, sand sweepers like Excadrill and Landorus can power their way through your team with relative ease, as you lack a dedicated physical wall. There is no one Pokemon that will solve all these problems, but Jellicent would make an excellent choice over Gar due to its ability to break stall and counter Volcarona. To counter fighters and sand sweepers, I'd try Skarmory over Ferrothorn, using Stealth Rock on Chansey; this gives you quite a formidable entry hazard duo that is made even more effective by the fact that you now have Jellicent to act as a more reliable spin blocker than Gengar. You lose Ferro's Leech Seed but that is more a convenience than a necessity.
Jellicent @ Leftovers | Bold | Water Absorb | EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Scald | Taunt | Toxic | Recover

Skarmory @ Shed Shell | Impish | Sturdy | EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Spikes | Whirlwind | Roost | Brave Bird

With these changes I think you'll see definite improvement. Good luck with your team!
Hey man thanks for the rate :) I did try all of your suggestions and they worked. But I have one problem with 3 wall on my team I feel like I am missing that offensive brute force. But your suggestions did work jellicent walled forretress to an oblivion :).

A possibility is that you could run tyranitar with its dream world ability so the sand doesnt destroy your team.. Just a thought I know the Sp. Def. boost is nearly unbeatable on t-tar though.. Great team seems like it could cause chaos to the average team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)