A Team That Just Sort of Works

Where to start, where to start... At the beginning of course.
I had no actual starting point when I started this team, except to say that I didn't want weather, as they are overplayed... So... I can't really tell you where I started at... however, this team has gone through quite a few changes, so I can guide you through those...

The First Incarnations of the team:
Weavile: Good lead in IVth gen, so I thought I try it out in Vth gen.
Gallade: My unconventional Special Wall
Nidoking: My Special Sweeper (GO SHEER FORCE!)
Sawk: My revenge Killer
Gliscor: My physical sweeper
Skarmory: My Spiker and Physical Wall

Now this team worked about as well as you'd think it would... It worked half as well as I thought it would. Gliscor's style didn't fit with the team in an overall way, so he was the first to be replaced, but I wasn't sure what to replace him with. I mean, for the most part, my team was semi-bulky in nature, and could force a bunch of switches, as well as dish out heavy damage to several pokemon. So, upon trying a few different pokemon, I decided to go from the realm of normal, and try pokemon I haven't seen a whole lot of, which led to to Ampharos.

So, Ampharos is in, and Gliscor is out... Now I don't have a pokemon that can take the right kind of hits that Weavile draws in, except for Skarmory (which doesn't switch into special pokemon all that well). So, now Weavile needs to go. I sat around for an hour before I got the idea of going with a hypnosis lead, but there are several out there, which one should I go with? After a bit of deliberation, I decided I'd go with a specially bulky Noctowl, I also decided that Sawk was to frail, so I changed him out for his brother, Throh. So, now my team looks like this...

Tired for the night, I decided to take the team through a couple of test battles, and then turn in for the night. The team worked superbly, and I was shocked, 2 weak to electric, 2 weak to psychic, 2 weak to ice, and 2 weak to ground (unless Skarmory is grounded, in which case), all of which are common attacking types. Anyways, I turned in for the night happy with my team. The next morning, I got up, and got on pokemon online, ready to hurt people with my epic new team... and I got pwned in the face by quite a few people, most notably weather teams... so after a bit of deliberation, I decided that the problem was Noctowl, who after putting people to sleep, wasn't good in many other places... so I changed my leads, and went with a much faster, though much frailer Hypnosis lead... Gengar!

After a few modifications to moves and Items, I felt, and still feel like I have a really good, if not slightly odd, team.

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Destiny Bond
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

This was my IVth gen lead Gengar, and it has transferred well to the Vth gen. Hypnosis to stop other pokemon from attempting a set on him, Destiny Bond to take out pokemon who think they can wall my team. Shadow Ball of epic STAB, and Psychic just to help a little bit, though I'm willing to change it if need be.

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Gentle Nature (+SDef, -Def)
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt

His Sp.D is equal to Gardivoir, and she is used for Special bulk quite often, and with Bulk Up and Substitute, I can hold out for quite a long time. Drain Punch and Zen Headbutt hit basically everything in the game... hard, so yeah.

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power

Sheer Force, Life Orb Nidoking is an amazing pokemon. I mean, this is enough of a set, to make Nidoking OU! No Joke. Each move has an extra 60% power to them with both Sheer Force and Life Orb (Earth Power has a total of 110% power boost, thanks to STAB) Thunderbolt and Ice Beam hit everything neutrally, Flamethrower and Earth Power are just there for back up, so I know I can take out anything...

Throh (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Payback
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Throh is bulky as hell, with Choice Band, he hits everything quite hard with no problem at all. Psychics flee from him, Ghosts don't know what to make of him, and Birds don't dare switch in on him, and statusers, scream when in his sight. So, as you can tell, I LOVE THROH!!!!

Ampharos (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Cotton Guard
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]/[Grass]

Ampharos isn't your average electric type pokemon. Far from it in fact. It has great bulk at 90/75/90 and Cotton Guard. It takes hits real well, and with a base 110 Sp.Atk, it also hits pretty decently without any EVs.

Skarmory (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Brave Bird

This set isn't mine. I actually saw someone use it on PO, but I thought I'd give it a shot, and to be honest, it's actually really good, and actually won a match thanks to the Rocky Helmet and Roost mix.

So... what do you think of my team. Any changes you think I should change? I can change anything on this team... anything at all...

I like the Idea of Rocky helmet on Skarmory, to be honest, but Physicl attacks aren't what he's afraid of. Skarmory needs to watch out for special attacks IE flamethrower, which is what people will try and do... IMO Rocky Helmet is not as worthwhile as Shed Shell or leftovers (though I haven't seen a single magnet puller so far in OU)
I have seen some sets using Sky drop on Skarmory, Sky drop may not have much BP, but if you manage to (and it's a very annoying, cheap tactic) Quick claw on the attack, you get a free attack while the opponent does nothing for 2 turns...

Throh is VERY ferrothorn weak, It may be able to hit for SE, but Iron Barbs + Leech seed + EXTREMELY high defence is more than enough to say you won't be able to cope... Also, ferrothorn could probably just

ampharos - You can get a much higher S-def stat by using a Careful nature, and just trading in a few EV's to SA (if you really want them) rather than going for a modest nature...
Also, if you are planning to boost defence like it seems you do, you are probably better off using Sigilyph

Sigilyph @ Flame/Toxic Orb
Timid Nature, ??? EV's
Magic Guard
-Roost
-Cosmic Power
-Psycho Shift/Whirlwind
-Stored Power

If you decide to use Psycho shift, go for Max S-def EV's and a Flame Orb, if Whirlwind, even ur EV's out and get a Toxic Orb.
With Magic Guard and Cosmic Power, you basically are indestructable, especially when you can roost off any damage you take before you fully Cosmic power up...
Psycho shift with a Burn can Cripple physical attackers, and Whirlwind allows you to send Dark types (and anything that resists psychic) running (as Stored Power, after 6 Cosmic Powers, has 260 BP - enough to OHKO almost anything)

Also, if you like Sheer Force, have you Tried Darmanitan?

TrollFace @ LO (get it? LO{L}?)
Jolly, Max ATK and speed
-Rock Slide
-Superpower
-Flare Blitz
-U turn

yes, only Rock Slide and Flare Blitz get the ultimate boost, but with Darmanitan's attack stat, he's one force to be reckoned with (not to mention he'll wreck enemy sun teams w/Flare Blitz's extra boost :P)

I use this on my drought team, and it OHKO's the Laties (yes, that's in sun, but you'll still get quite a lot of power)
I'm not much of an Rater, but that's my suggestion... who knows, I might just get you thinking!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)