Ablaze in The Sun! A Doubles sun team

Ablaze in the sun!

Introduction

Hello smogon community, this will be the second rmt i submit to smogon, i love sun teams and thought it was about time i tryed to create a suitable one for double battles. I am currently in the process of acquiring and then training the pokemon listed above and below but am not really sure if they flow good together or if maybe i should switch some pokemon around or something to provide better synergy. All criticism is welcome, please help me make a better team in any way i can :D thank you, and without further ado the Team thus far:

Ninetails @ Focus sash

Trait: Drought
Evs: 4 hp/252 SpA/252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA/-Atk)
-Heat Wave
-Energy Ball
-Protect
-Sunny Day
This will of course be my weather starter, i decided to choose a modest nature for ninetails so i can bring out its maximun offesive potential while under the sun, i also have it a focus sash since ninetails is very squishy and is weak to many of the attacks seens alot through double battles such as surf,rock slide, earthquake and such this will hopefulyl allow it to attack strongly one last time. Not sure, maybe a timid nature as ive seen around alot is better? I decided to give it heat wave which is a good STAB move to deal damage to both offensive pokemon on the enemy team as well as giving it energy ball for those pesky water types that might be sent in to deal with ninetails. Protect of course to stall a turn or scout, and sunny day to thanks to the speed evs hopefully be able to outspeed and put sunny day back up should another weather starter come up and start their own weather.

Venasaur @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
Evs: 252 SpA/252Spe/4 hp
Modest Nature (+SpA/-Attk)
-Growth
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Sleep Powder

Venasaur i believe is the bread and butter of a strong sun team. Modest with life orb along with evs in the special attack make this guy a fearsome opponent. After a quick growth he can pack a punch through nearly anything, giga drain to deal some STAB damage and heal back some damage taken. Sludge bomb also seems like a good choice due to its STAB plus chance to poison and of course sleep power to cripple my opponents and then maybe get off a quick growth. And with venasaurs speed, he should usually get the sleep off. Not sure if maybe i should put solarbeam in there or some other move.

Jumpluff @ Yache Berry
Evs: 252 hp/60 SpD/196 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe/-Attk)
-Sleep powder
-Encore
-Helping Hand
-Protect

I love this little guy, hes always been one of my favorite pokemon around.I plan on using jumpluffs set to be my sun support. I got this set from smogon itself but not sure if it could use some changing. With a timid nature and the 196 evs in speed, i hope this jumpluff can outspeed certain dangers in or out of the sunlight, as well as being somehwat more durable thanks to the health evs. Sleep power of course to shut down an enemy and allow my partner to strike, encore to lock an enemy into a useless move or some such thing like that, helping hand to give my partner that extra oompf to KO the enemy pokemon and of course protect to stall or scout ahead. Not sure if anything here needs changing, if it does let me know!

Sawsbuck @ Choice Band
Trait:Chlorophyll
Evs: 252 Attk/252 Spe/4HP
Adament Nature: (+Attk/-SpA)
-Horn Leech
-Return
-Jump Kick
-Protect

Sawsbuck, one of the best physical sweepers around, with his sky high attack, and unmatched speed in the sun, he'll surely be a threat to any opposing pokemon. The evs given to him will help maximize his attack and speed and allow him to hit fast and hard with a tiny boost in health to add to survivability somewhat. Adament nature of course again to increase attack. His moveset might need some tinkering as his item as well, not sure if i should give him a choice band seeing as venasaur already has life orb. Anywho horn leech for some Stab damage and self healing, with a full friendly return for maximum Stab damage, jump kick to help deal with some of those pesky rock and other normal types and protect again just to stall a turn or scout.

Volcorona @ Fire Gem
Trait: Flame Body
Evs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4Hp
Timid Nature: (+Spe/-Attk)
-Bug Buzz
-Heat Wave
-Protect
-Hurricane

Here i present volcorona! A powerful bug/fire type pokemon to take advantage of the sun. Ev trained in special attack and in speed to allow it to be able to outspeed some of its competition and and strike hard with STAB heat wave or Bug buzz. With Bug Buzz im sure it can potentially OHKO some of the stronger dark type pokemon such as tyranitar and hydreigon. Timid nature to further boost its speed again for the same reason as said above. Protect again for the same reason, protect is a great move, especially in doubles, and hurricane to deal some strong damage to those fighting type pokemon as well as the others. Not sure if i should maybe change volcorona for another pokemon, seems like maybe a change could be made here. If so please let me know and i shall do it immediately!

Donphan @ leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Evs: 252 Hp/252 Def/4 Spe
Impish Nature: (+Def/-SpA)
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Toxic

Say hello to donphan, he will be our designated tank and rapid spinner for the team! This donphan will be a great physical wall especially with the evs and nature assigned to him, he will be able to take hits and be able to switch in and maybe even take on tyranitar and the like. His moveset might again need some changing but i chose rapid spin to of course remove spikes and such, stealth rock for those teams that just love to switch around their players on the field to deal some nice damage to them. Earthquake as a strong STAB option, and since some of my team has protect it can work out i believe. and of course the toxic to help take down those strong walls who try to stall the game out. Let me know if anything here requires changing, id love to keep donphan on the team, but if he must go then he goes.

Conclusion

Well fellow pokemon battlers, we are at the end of my RMT, please let me know anything that i must change. I do believe that i maybe have too many grass pokemon and maybe need a few more fire types but im not exactly 100% sure so just let me know what can be improved on here. Remember this is a team for double battles, im ready for all the rates and critisism. Thanks in advance :D

Hey there Ghost!,

Nice to see some sun teams lately. I am a big fans of sun teams, but maybe it's die to seeing a change of pace in constant raining in the tier ^.^. This is a fairly well built and standard sun team but there always room for improvement.

All the members of your team are pretty standard for sun teams. They all serve their pies pose pretty well it seems. However I think this set of sawsbuck can be a a great improvement and is a bet anti-meta game. I never was a fan of Choice Band on Sawsbuck. Mainly because it can leave a big weakness to Gengar, allowing it to be able to switch in and set up a substitute or hurt another Potemkon switching in. This doesn't necessarily fix the Gengar weaknes but help you against being set up on and not having to switch as much.

Here is the set:

Sawsbuck @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Nature Power (EQ)/ Jump Kick
- Return

This is a really amazing set. With Sword Dance you just don't need to be limited to a set amount of power but now can exceed it. Focus Sash disregarding entry hazards (though you can heal it off with horn leech) will let you have at least one SD. After that you are free to pick a move needed for the situation. The moves are fairly straight forward. You can pick between Natrual Power(basically Earthquake) or Jump Kick. They both have fairly the same coverage, but it should be noted that Natrual Power bypasses sucker punch. Jump Kick however let's you deal with tyrantiar with greater ease. Politoad is no problem for this set; just simply leach horn the frog. Don't fear scarf variants either, leech horn will heal off the ranges if it manages to shoot a ice beam. With constant healing from leech seed you will find Sawsbuck life extended.

Once again nice team. I wish you the best success with it. I recommend that you should also try some other sun sets for this team. Right don't you give Dugtrio over Dophan or Jumpluff. Another suggestion is you may want to try a semi-bulky set for Venasaur or disable Ninetails.

good idea on the swasbuck set, definetly changing it to that. i saw the disable ninetails set and it seems very good, going to check that out as well. I like dugtrio too, but not sure if i should then replace jumpluff for him or donphan since they are sort of the same thing, in typing at least. Thanks, bump for more rates :D

just bumping for that question " should i removre jumpluff or sawsbuck for dugtrio"? sorry and thanks in advance :D

Stratos

Banned deucer.
dugtrio has really reduced effectiveness in doubles, and with the double Chloro you're running, if you play it well, you should be able to handle TTar (though Tran is still a bit problematic). In general, I don't really think that he needs a spot on your team.

However, I do think this team can be optimized. First, small changes:

• Drop protect on sawsbuck for Nature Power. CB Protect is doing you no favors. CB Nature Power is a killer.
  • If you're running SunnyTales, then why are you doing Energy Ball over SolarBeam?
  • Hurricane in Sun isn't really doing you any favors - drop it for Quiver Dance, Fire Blast, or HP Ground for better coverage. Sun-boosted volc Fire Blast is killing all your common non-terrak/keldeo fightings anyway.
  • Grass/Poison is absolutely atrocious coverage. Try HP Fire - when sun-boosted it hits respectable levels and actually gives decent two-move coverage.
Now for some bigger things:
Drop pluff, i know you love pluff but it is doing this team no favors. Try Cresselia instead.

Cresselia @ Leftovers/Mental Herb
Levitate
Careful
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
-Moonlight
-Psychic
-Icy Wind / Thunder Wave
-Helping Hand

This should serve the supportive role you were giving whimsi but like forty times better, and without being complete Taunt bait.

Also, Donphan is terrible in doubles, because he's too slow and can be wiped out by double-targeting. It'd be better to keep offensive pressure with your team than lose it with something like Donphan.

thanks alot for the rates, definetly going to make those changes, going to take donphan out as well since entry hazards and such are basically non-existent in doubles. As dugtrio out as well. Cresselia does seem like a great ddition especially for those pesky dragons. thanks again :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)