Gen 3 ADV Ubers Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by Fireburn

-- ADV Ubers Viability Rankings --

Welcome to the ADV Ubers Viability Rankings thread! This topic will be about the placement of Pokemon in the ADV Ubers metagame. We will decide on these rankings through the Pokemon's ability to sweep in the metagame, wall in the metagame, and through various other aspects. One important aspect we will discuss is how much team support a Pokemon requires, and how much constraint the Pokemon places on teambuilding, if any. All users are encouraged to post their opinions on the rankings, and what they feel is inaccurate about the list; however, please do not comment on various Pokemon if you do not have experience playing this metagame! We will be ranking these Pokemon to represent how they fare in the metagame and we would like the list to be a tool for users to see how the metagame is portrayed. Do note that the Pokemon are displayed in each ranking in alphabetical order, not by which is better than the others in the same rank. Without further ado, your Viability Rankings!

S Rank
These Pokemon define the metagame. They are able to sweep large portions of the metagame, or wall large portions of the metagame. These Pokemon must be accounted for in teambuilding, and they are very easy to place on teams. There is little to no opportunity cost for using these Pokemon.

Deoxys-Attack
Kyogre
Latias
Latios

A Rank
These Pokemon are excellent in the metagame. They can sweep portions of the metagame, or wall portions of the metagame. These Pokemon are threats that have to be thought of in teambuilding, and require a bit of team support in order to function. They have inherit flaws that prevent them from being S Rank.

Blissey
Deoxys-Defense
Deoxys-Speed
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Lugia
Mewtwo
Rayquaza

B Rank
The Pokemon in this rank are just okay in the metagame. They have select niches that typically involve beating a few Pokemon or walling a few Pokemon, but they come at an opportunity cost. They are not bad by any means, but face tough competition from Pokemon in higher tiers. They require more team support than the average Pokemon.

Exeggutor
Forretress
Jirachi
Magneton
Metagross
Mew
Omastar
Raikou
Regice
Shedinja
Skarmory
Snorlax
Wobbuffet

C Rank
The Pokemon in this rank are mediocre. They have specific, but somewhat tiny, niches that are often better fulfilled by Pokemon in higher ranks. They either require a lot of team support to work, or they are walled by too many threats in the metagame. These Pokemon are not extremely common, and they are not very good.

Flygon
Kabutops
Lanturn
Shiftry
Zapdos

Rules:
  • This is not a favorites list, we will not rank a Pokemon because it is "cute" or because it is our favorite Pokemon!
  • Please keep discussion civil, we do not want harsh arguments and lashes in this thread!
  • Please add some meat to your posts. Explain why you think the Pokemon deserves a ranking. Not just "Exeggutor is S Rank because I think it has good power". That will not be accepted as an argument!
  • Do not post mindless theorymon. Sure, you could say "well, Meditite OHKOes Groudon with Focus Punch and it has a decent Attack stat so it should be ranked," but in practice Meditite is going to be terrible. Experiment with the Pokemon in question!
Things to Remember in Regards to Ranking:
  • How does the Pokemon fare in the metagame?
  • What can the Pokemon sweep or wall?
  • Is the Pokemon outclassed by another Pokemon?
  • Is this Pokemon too niche?
  • Does this Pokemon require much team support?
  • Does this Pokemon require you to think about it more than others while teambuilding?
  • Does this Pokemon come with an opportunity cost?
Happy posting everyone!

First Points of Discussion:
  • Should Exeggutor be ranked higher? Lower?
  • Should Groudon be S Rank?
  • Should Rayquaza be S Rank?
  • Is there any Pokemon missing from a certain rank, specifically C?
  • Should Blissey move down to B Rank?
  • Should we add a D Rank for absolutely terrible Pokemon as a warning?

approved by Fireburn
Reserved for the changelog of Pokemon's placement to see how the metagame is changing.
ok good

-- ADV Ubers Viability Rankings --

Welcome to the ADV Ubers Viability Rankings thread! This topic will be about the placement of Pokemon in the ADV Ubers metagame. We will decide on these rankings through the Pokemon's ability to sweep in the metagame, wall in the metagame, and through various other aspects. One important aspect we will discuss is how much team support a Pokemon requires, and how much constraint the Pokemon places on teambuilding, if any. All users are encouraged to post their opinions on the rankings, and what they feel is inaccurate about the list; however, please do not comment on various Pokemon if you do not have experience playing this metagame! We will be ranking these Pokemon to represent how they fare in the metagame and we would like the list to be a tool for users to see how the metagame is portrayed. Do note that the Pokemon are displayed in each ranking in alphabetical order, not by which is better than the others in the same rank. Without further ado, your Viability Rankings!

S Rank
These Pokemon define the metagame. They are able to sweep large portions of the metagame, or wall large portions of the metagame. These Pokemon must be accounted for in teambuilding, and they are very easy to place on teams. There is little to no opportunity cost for using these Pokemon.

Deoxys-Attack
Kyogre
Latias
Latios

A Rank
These Pokemon are excellent in the metagame. They can sweep portions of the metagame, or wall portions of the metagame. These Pokemon are threats that have to be thought of in teambuilding, and require a bit of team support in order to function. They have inherit flaws that prevent them from being S Rank.

Blissey
Deoxys-Defense
Deoxys-Speed
Groudon
Ho-Oh
Lugia
Mewtwo
Rayquaza

B Rank
The Pokemon in this rank are just okay in the metagame. They have select niches that typically involve beating a few Pokemon or walling a few Pokemon, but they come at an opportunity cost. They are not bad by any means, but face tough competition from Pokemon in higher tiers. They require more team support than the average Pokemon.

Exeggutor
Forretress
Jirachi
Magneton
Metagross
Mew
Omastar
Raikou
Regice
Shedinja
Skarmory
Snorlax
Wobbuffet

C Rank
The Pokemon in this rank are mediocre. They have specific, but somewhat tiny, niches that are often better fulfilled by Pokemon in higher ranks. They either require a lot of team support to work, or they are walled by too many threats in the metagame. These Pokemon are not extremely common, and they are not very good.

Flygon
Kabutops
Lanturn
Shiftry
Zapdos

Rules:
  • This is not a favorites list, we will not rank a Pokemon because it is "cute" or because it is our favorite Pokemon!
  • Please keep discussion civil, we do not want harsh arguments and lashes in this thread!
  • Please add some meat to your posts. Explain why you think the Pokemon deserves a ranking. Not just "Exeggutor is S Rank because I think it has good power". That will not be accepted as an argument!
  • Do not post mindless theorymon. Sure, you could say "well, Meditite OHKOes Groudon with Focus Punch and it has a decent Attack stat so it should be ranked," but in practice Meditite is going to be terrible. Experiment with the Pokemon in question!
Things to Remember in Regards to Ranking:
  • How does the Pokemon fare in the metagame?
  • What can the Pokemon sweep or wall?
  • Is the Pokemon outclassed by another Pokemon?
  • Is this Pokemon too niche?
  • Does this Pokemon require much team support?
  • Does this Pokemon require you to think about it more than others while teambuilding?
  • Does this Pokemon come with an opportunity cost?
Happy posting everyone!

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Lord Trapinch needs a ranking for its ability to trap Deoxys-A with a CB Quick Attack set. That is literally the only thing it can do lmao, it has hardly any uses outside of it. D Ranking at least

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus

This mnky needs ranking imo. It darn near OHKOes Groudon and is one of the best ways to soften stuff up for something like cb lugia to come in and tear things up. It also gets pursuit access, costing a Shadow Ball locked Deo-A its life. It is yet another band user that doesn't die also, much like lugia, even when using Double Edge.

E: B rank is where i would place this to be honest.

Last edited:

Mr.378

The Iron Man of Ubers
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mewtwo is worthy of S-Rank in my opinion. It is probably the best lead in the metagame with 3 elemental moves + Selfdestruct which can beat nearly anything one on one and then if need be trade with selfsdestruct. That alone is a great niche but it is also an excellent sweper and cleaner with a cm set and can even go physical with it's underrated Bulk up and Band sets and lure normal checks and counters. It has enough niches and strengths that I would consider it S-Rank.

Changes in bold.

S Rank

Deoxys-A
Deo-A is one of the most threatening mons in the meta. CB is a great cleaner and revenge killer that forces every team to have a ghost resist/immune and forces the omnipresent psychics in the tier to switch or die. Sub+Petaya and Mixed Lum are good at catching usual answers off guard as well.

Groudon
Groudon is a metagame defining pokemon and definitely deserves S-Rank. It's one of the most threatening mons offensively, with Paradancer and SD+3 atks having few counters/checks. CB punches holes in standard checks like Lati/Lugia/Celebi with a little prediction. In addition to being a potent offensive threat, Groudon provides sun support necessary for Chloro mons/Ho-Oh/HP Fire Lati/MixLax/etc and a physical sponge for both balance and offense.

Kyogre
Despite the Lati twins being on every good team, Kyogre is still a strong mon. Lum T-Wave CM and SubCM are both huge pains for stall and balance alike, with the only solid checks being the Lati@s, Shedinja, and certain Blissey sets. A gimmicky CB set catches the Lati twins for large damage w/ HP [Ghost] while still sporting its nuclear rain-boosted Hydro Pump/Surf. In a similar vein to Groudon, Kyogre also supports its team with rain, allowing for Swift Swim users, Thunder spam, and the increased viability of steel mons.

/
The Lati@s
Soul Dew boosts the Lati@s special stats to insane levels. Access to CM, great coverage, and high spe makes the Lati twins dangerous to all teams types. They have ways around some counters (Refresh for Blissey, HP [Fire] for steels, Thunder for Ho-Oh, etc) and are decent blanket checks to Groudon, Kyogre, and more. It's fair to say they are the strongest mons in the meta and every team needs to prep for them.

Mewtwo
There will always be some Mewtwo variant that is threatening to your team. It's the most versatile pokemon in the game and can run an insane number of sets well. 3 Atks+Boom, SubCM, Taunt+CM, Toxic+Taunt, Bulk Up, CB, BoomCM, SubPunch, etc, etc. It also has a very nice speed tier, even outpacing the Lati@s with a neutral nature. Strong, bulky, powerful, fast, versatile... how can it not be S rank?

A Rank

Blissey
Blissey is the best special wall and a huge roadblock to the Lati twins and special attackers in general. It supports its team with Heal Bell and Wish. It can even run a CM set to decent effect to stop SubCM mons cold. Natural Cure is really useful because Blissey can act as a status sponge.

Deoxys-D
Unlike later gens, Deoxys-D is actually good in ADV. It has enough bulk to take effectively take on the Lati and most non-boosting attackers, enough speed to Taunt defensive mons like Blissey, and a plethora of support moves, ranging from Knock Off to Spikes to Recover. It can run Fire Punch to pop Forretress, the only viable spinner. It's the best Spikes setter and has nice defensive utility to boot.

Exeggutor
Egg is hands down the best weather abuser in the tier. It hits pretty hard and has decent coverage in grass/fire. In addition, Sleep Powder lets it put 1 would be check out of commission. Lum Berry allows Egg to act as an offensive check to Paradancer Groudon, given that Solarbeam OHKOs. Egg also has an annoying SubSeed set which can spread quite a bit of damage around if it has hazard support. It's quite good in sun mirrors and smart play w/ Sleep Powder and Boom can net 2 "KO"s. However, Egg is a mon I can see falling back down to B, given its reliance on Sun and Explosion.

Ho-Oh
Ho-Oh is very specially bulky, making it a useful check to many CM mons like Jirachi, Lati@s, Mewtwo, etc. and unlike other special walls (Blissey), Ho-Oh actually has good offensive presence. It can be a strong defensive gluemon or an offensive wallbreaker when wielding a CB. It also has some more gimmicky options, like fast SubToxic and CM. Definitely worthy of A rank.

Jirachi
Jirachi is a mon deserving of A rank. Its WishTect set is a solid check to non-HP Fire Lati@s, Mewtwo, Lugia, non-EQ Snorlax, Egg, etc. and can be very hard for many teams to break, especially with rain support. Conversely, Jirachi functions as a potent sweeper with its Wish+CM set which sacrifices its utility to take advantage of common CM checks like Lax, Blissey, and Ho-Oh. It supports its team with Wish and has a large movepool, meaning it can be tailored to deal with specific threats. Definitely a mon with underrated standard sets and lots of unexplored options.

Lugia
Lugia is a useful mon for stall and balance alike. It's one of the better physical walls in Ubers, successfully dealing with Rayquaza and Groudon on a consistent basis. Its other options in CM+WW and CB provide Lugia with some offensive presence for balance. CB should be used more imo since Flying STAB w/ ground coverage is really killer in this meta.

Rayquaza
Rayquaza is one of the most threatening sweepers in the tier. Dragon Dance makes it a threat after a boost and it has quite a few moves to choose from (I like Ice Beam / EQ / HP [Ghost] / DD @ Lum). CB Ray is a decent cleaner and wallbreaker as well. Air Lock is nice for offensive teams looking for a way to handle Chloro/SS mons.

Snorlax
Snorlax is probably my most controversial pick for A rank but I definitely think it deserves it. Lax is one of the few offensive checks to the Lati twins/Mewtwo and the only one the doesn't fear Fire moves. That alone provides Lax a slot on many offensive teams who need a Lati check. MixLax is also a very potent offensive threat, with few mons outside of WishTect Rachi, Groudon, and TTar able to switch in since sun boosted Fire Blast roasts steels (EQ>shadow ball makes rachi and ttar think twice as well). In addition, Lax's Boom is a great tool which OHKOs just about anything that doesn't resist it (including Groudon). Immunity allows Lax to switch in against Blissey and non-CB Lugia with impunity and start throwing out Body Slams. Lax's normal typing is also nice because it is a Shadow Ball sponge. It makes any Deo-A user think twice before clicking Shadow Ball against your +1 Lati. Lax fills roles that no other offensive mon can claim, earning its spot in A.

B Rank

Celebi
Forretress
Gengar
Magneton
Metagross
Mew
Qwilfish
Shedinja
Shiftry
Tyranitar
Wobbuffet

C Rank

Deoxys-S
Flygon
Jumpluff

Kabutops
Ninjask
Skarmory
Umbreon

This list is a Work in Progress. I'll edit in more descriptions and add more mons when I have more time (and D rank).

And yes, before anyone asks, I did remove some mons that are questionable (to be added later maybe).

unfixable

Last edited:
Blissey is pretty amazing, it's the best defensive Lati answer.

Deo-S seems pretty dull, why is it in the same rank as good mons?

I like Shiftry more than Egg since it does excaberate the Sball weak in a team with multiple psychics but I can definitely see it being in the higher rank as it has boom+sleep, though its speed is a downer (has to run timid if it wants to be safe at outspeeding deo-a).

I don't really agree with above post about Lax in A-rank, it's a niche mon but nowhere as splashable and genuinely good as the other A-rank mons.

Mewtwo to S is something I can't really agree with, it brings nothing to the table defensively or in terms of utility, which is different from the current S mons. It is also pretty easily revenge killed for offensive teams with Deo-A, and while defensive teams usually have some trouble vs it, it's not impossible to check although a well timed boom can open up holes.

Qwilfish is a vastly superior swift swimmer to Oma/Kab so it needs to be in there somewhere.

Raikou viable confuses me, it's a mon that will be easily stopped by very common things in the meta and does only provide small defensive utility with its flying resist.

I think Umbreon should be ranked, it's a pursuit mon that can catch deo-a locked into anything but superpower and it also is a decent wish passer/lati check.

Idk just some random thoughts

Last edited:
I'm going to post my entirely personal opinion on how this metagame should be ranked. There's going to be a lot of controversial and unusual placings. I'm not intending for this list to replace to current one, just looking to revive discussion in this thread.

S Rank
An amazing combination of incredible offenses, wonderful utility, and key, almost unique, defensive aspects that make the Pokemon in this group nearly required for every team.

Groudon
Kyogre
Latias
Latios

A Rank
Your bread and butter options when building a team. They check significant threats and do things well without requiring much, if any, team support.

A+
Snorlax

A
Blissey
Forretress
Ho-Oh
Jirachi
Rayquaza
Steelix
Swampert

A-
Gengar
Lugia
Magneton
Mewtwo
Regice
Registeel
Skarmory

B Rank
These Pokemon are mildly outclassed or require specific support to function. They aren't terrible options, just options that can not be commonplace due to how much they are reliant on the construction of the rest of the team to be justified.

B+
Deoxys-A
Kabutops
Metagross
Omastar
Shedinja
Tyranitar
Umbreon

B
Aggron
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Exeggutor
Flygon
Ludicolo
Qwilfish
Zapdos

B-
Aerodactyl
Jumpluff
Quagsire
Raikou
Regirock
Shiftry

C Rank
I saw these guys on a team before. They did okay, I guess.

Claydol
Duslops
Heracross
Lanturn
Mew
Ninjask
Salamence
Slaking
Wobbuffet

D Rank
D is for Deoxys-N! (cause Wynaut?)

Deoxys-N
Wynaut

To briefly cover some of the controversial stuff. I think Ground-types and Steel-types are the two best defensive typings in the metagame. Most of you already know why I like Swampert so much but this also applie to some others.

Oh, Metagross is so low relative to the other Steel-types cause his secondary typing is kinda ass. He loses the ability to resist CB Shadow Balls and has to instead rely on his raw bulk to stop that stuff. (which is really lame for a Steel-type imo) He is also reliant on Meteor Mash as his only STAB option to make use that large attack stat of his. The fact he shares that typing with Jirachi really doesn't help his case as it means that his niche is defined by the aforementioned attack stat....

Deo-A is overrated as fuck. It's fast and RK things and can clean but has no defensive utility and can't even emergency switch into stuff. Also if the other guy has Pursuit he's kinda dead weight. Mostly outclassed by Mewtwo, imo.

Speaking of Mewtwo, I'm not that large a fan of him. Yes he's super fast and super strong but his typing is pretty useless and his bulk doesn't exactly let him get away with it. It's kinda hard to justify him on a team since he's not the *only* dude that breaks shit.

I put the other SSers over Qwilfish cause they have a useful typing and can actually weaken their own checks. They also have access to hazard utilities so Qwilfish doesn't get to be special that way, either.

I went ahead and added Aerodactyl even though I'm sure most of you haven't seen it in action. It's actually a pretty cool mon and good at cleaning. The typing is usable, although not amazing, and he's kinda outclassed by Kabutops but, eh, it works.

(Also, if OP is dead, I have no problem getting together with the other active ADVers to come up with an updated list and run the new thread myself. dw, you won't be seeing the ultra radical placings in the new thread as in the list above.)

edit: Now that I think about it, Kyogre *could* drop down to A+ rank and I could reword the S rank description to make sure it doesn't sound like you have to use both Lati twins. I really like Kyogre, though, and discussion is more interesting this way so I'm going to leave him there.

added regirock for being legit

if firebum reads this, he's a shitter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)