Aggressive Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I chose these pokemon (Thundurus, Aegislash, Hydreigon, Gastrodon, Tyranitar, Mega-Gardevoir) to take hits, counter, or check enough threats and dish out heavy damage. I really like Hydreigon and Gardevoir, I built the team around Hydreigon initially then replaced a Klefki with Thundurus and Breloom with Gardevoir. Gastrodon is the only pokemon I use that doesn't hit especially hard, he just takes hits and stalls out most things. I think I have 1 lead, 1 wall, 2 Sweepers, and 2 Wallbreakers (Aegislash and Hydreigon).

My strategy usually revolves around thwarting prediction; while none of these are especially innovative movesets, I have enough type diversity to check my opponent's attempts to counter. This team relies on momentum, a bad RNG roll can let the opponent snowball. My best solution to these flaws is to attempt to have 2 answers to every threat, because a bad predict or missing an attack easily KOs 4/6 of my pokemon.

Grima (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

Fire Blast

Roost

Dark Pulse

Draco Meteor

Heavy hitting and fast enough to beat plenty of high-speed mons with neutral natures. Fire blast is the best coverage move I've found, though it is slightly less necessary now that I can dark pulse steel types. I run a lot of dark and ghost moves, but they constantly come in handy since they lost one resistance (for a much rarer one, in dark's case). Roost makes life orb fairly inconsequential--if I don't have an opening to roost, Hydreigon would have died probably anyway.

Sol Katti (Aegislash) @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Stance Change

EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 SDef

Sassy Nature

IVs: 0 Spd

Shadow Ball

Sacred Sword

Shadow Sneak

King's Shield

Aegislash backs up Hydreigon's weaknesses, they are an effective pair--especially since ghost and dark have almost identical (and widespread) coverage. Weakness policy means Aegislash seldom gets 2HKOed, because he can swing once at +2 and then fire off +2 shadow sneaks. Aegislash will almost always do more than kill 1 pokemon, I frequently play kamikaze with him in order to take advantage of the threat of king's shield or a switch to hydreigon. I didn't calculate anything to assign his def and sp def, most things I switch him in on will do ~30-40% activating his weakness policy. If anyone has done that research lemme know if I can optimize it. Ghost and steel, combined with hydreigon's typing and nature, gives them resistance or immunity to almost everything.

Biggie (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 176 HP / 216 Atk / 116 Spd

Adamant Nature

Rock Polish

Crunch

Stone Edge

Aqua Tail

Rock polish Tyranitar is amazingly fast, this one is a little bit faster than the fastest Tornadus-T after 1 polish. The weird HP stat gives me 1 extra hp from leftovers, same as Gastrodon. I need ttar to counter sunny day, solarbeam is a horrible gimmick against my team. Energy ball on charizard Y is a horrible pain, and therefore a great idea. I dropped stealth rock for aqua jet because I seriously lack physical coverage.

Mr. Jelly (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Storm Drain

EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SDef

Bold Nature

Recover

Scald

Toxic

Earth Power

Loves the sand and backs up tyranitar nicely. Wins against anything that doesn't do enough damage to kill him... Ground is a very useful typing. I usually try to get gastrodon burned or stage 1 poisoned, because then he cant get hit with toxic. Counters rotom completely unless they use HP grass specifically for Gastrodons.

Shakti (Gardevoir) (F) @ Gardevoirite

Ability: Trace

EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature

Hyper Voice

Psyshock

Shadow Ball

Thunderbolt

Mega Gardevoir bypasses subs, which is nice, but the best part is her ridiculous sp atk and decent speed. I also needed a fairy type to send outraging dragons to their doom.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Prankster

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def

Thunder Wave

Thunderbolt

Taunt

Hidden Power [Ice]

Prevents setup, paralyzes anything that is too fast for my team, hidden power ice OHKOs most pesky ground/flying, flying/dragon, and dragon/ground types. I frequently gamble with taunt/twave, if the status would lead to an easy revenge kill. Flying type is great for mold breaking earthquakers.

Last edited:

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.
Your descriptions are too short to fit the RMT rules requirements.
I encourage you to PM me an updated version of this team with beefed up descriptions, and since you're new, to join the Mentor Program. I'll be unlocking this thread after that.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)