Alakazam [QC 3/3] [GP 0/2]

TEH MASTER OF GEN 1 IS BACK

QC [3/3]: (Snunch) (Delta 2277) (Oglemi)
GP [0/2]: () ()

[OVERVIEW]

<p>Alakazam has always been an offensive monster. With its 135 base Special Attack stat and 120 Speed, the Psi Pokemon is capable of delivering quite a hit. It gained two excellent new tools in BW, the first of which is Psyshock which uses its huge Special Attack but hits the opponent's physical Defense, allowing it to hurt special walls like Chansey a lot more than it ever could before. The second is the unreleased Magic Guard, which prevents all damage not caused by direct attacks, including Life Orb recoil. However, as a fast, offensive Psychic-type, he has gained competition in Celebi, Mew and Azelf who all dropped through the tiers. In addition, with his 45 base Defense, Alakazam isn't surviving any physical hits. Despite these flaws, Alakazam is still stupidly powerful and can differentiate himself from the other UU Psychic-types, as he has the highest Special Attack and Speed of all of them, as well as a support movepool including Encore, Taunt and Knock Off which prevent him from being totally predictable.</p>

[SET]
name: Sub + 3 Attacks
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Psyshock / Psychic
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Grass Knot
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Synchronize / Inner Focus
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This set’s main aim is to lure in counters and weaken if not eliminate them. The execution is relatively simple; switch in on something that you threaten, set up a Substitute on the switch to scout the switch-in and block status, then attack with the appropriate move. Psyshock or Psychic will be your mandatory STAB move. Psychic is generally more powerful, but Psyshock deals large amounts of damage to Chansey, one of the counters that this set aims to destroy, so Psyshock is the primary option. Focus Blast hits Dark- and Steel-type foes who are immune and resist Psychic moves respectively for super effective damage, whilst Shadow Ball hurts opposing Psychic-types and completes the perfect neutral coverage of Fighting + Ghost. Grass Knot can be used to hurt bulky Water-types, as well as hitting Spiritomb for the same amount of damage as Shadow Ball; however you will lose the ability to hit Cresselia, Celebi and Sigilyph. </p>

<p> The EVs on the set are very simple, just maximize Special Attack and Speed. The ability and item of the set are both a matter of personal preference. In terms of abilities, Synchronize punishes attempts to status Alakazam when he doesn’t have a Substitute up, and Inner Focus prevents flinching from things like TechniTop Fake Out. In terms of items, Life Orb gives a huge boost in power but Substitute damage and Life Orb recoil can wear Alakazam down very quickly. Leftovers is the safer choice, giving Alakazam the ability to make more Substitutes. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Generally, you will be switching Alakazam in after a kill, as it really cannot afford to take any hit or status move. Obviously, being an offensive Pokemon, Alakazam loves entry hazards wearing down the opponents as they switch in. Due to the purpose of this set, a sweeper who has similar counters to Alakazam would benefit from having them removed. Good examples of the aforementioned sweepers include Nasty Plot Mew and Azelf.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Shadow Ball / Grass Knot
move 4: Trick / Grass Knot
item: Choice Specs
ability: Synchronize

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Choice Specs equipped, Alakazam hits 554 Special Attack. This raw power allows it to rip through weakened teams late game, or hit-and-run early on. The same three attacking moves are used on this set as on the previous set; the only change here is that you forgo Substitute for Trick or Grass Knot. Trick is an excellent way to deal with Chansey if you choose not to run Psyshock, robbing it of Eviolite and locking her into one move, rendering her practically useless. Grass Knot is another excellent choice to hit bulky Water-types. A pure Life Orb set is also viable, giving Alakazam a little more flexibility, at the expense of some power and HP. </p>

<p> This set also uses max Special Attack and Speed to give Alakazam the best possible sweeping potential. Inner Focus is rather pointless on this set, as Alakazam is very fast and therefore unlikely to be flinched, and most Fake Outs will probably kill him. Therefore the preferred ability is Synchronize, which can punish some walls by switching in on Toxic.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Once again, Alakazam loves entry hazards to more easily score some OHKOs and 2HKOs. Alakazam was a big winner from the introduction of Team Preview. It gives the user three advantages; scouting for counters, Pursuit users, and possible Choice Scarf users. Counters can be cleverly neutralized with a well timed Trick or the correct attacking move. Pursuit users are a big problem for this set. You must be very wary of locking yourself into Psychic or Psyshock, as common Pursuit users can switch in on the attack and eliminate Alakazam as it tries to run. Notable users of the move include Spiritomb, Bisharp and Weavile. You need to watch out for Choice Scarfed Pokemon and priority users, as they can make revenge killing Alakazam very easy. Alakazam is more powerful and faster than other Psychic-type Choice Specs users, and has the powerful Focus Blast to hit Dark- and Steel-types, whereas every other common UU Psychic-type needs the noticeably weaker Hidden Power [Fighting] to obtain coverage, making Alakazam stand out from the crowd. However, if you hate Focus Blast missing at crucial moments, Hidden Power is an option.</p>

[Other Options]

<p> Alakazam has a plethora of options available to it. He has access to two moves that boost Special Attack—Calm Mind and Charge Beam—which can be used to attempt a sweep. However, Alakazam lacks the bulk to set up effectively. Alakazam’s support movepool is huge, sporting moves like Taunt, Encore, Reflect, Light Screen, Magic Coat and Knock Off. Encore is particularly noticeable, for when it is used in conjunction with Substitute, it can be very threatening and can cripple Chansey and other special walls. Signal Beam can be used as another coverage move, hitting opposing Psychic-types as well as Dark-types, but you lose the ability to hit Steel-types. Moving on to more gimmicky options, Guard Split with a negative Special Defensive nature and 0 IVs in both Defenses can help even the odds against walls like Cresselia, turning their mammoth defenses against them. Finally, Miracle Eye can surprise Dark-types on the switch, but is rather unnecessary and is often just a waste of a moveslot. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Alakazam’s worst enemies are those who pack Pursuit or a physical priority move. Spiritomb is a major worry, as he is immune to the Psychic / Fighting combination and can comfortably take a coverage move with his high Special Defense. He also packs Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch and Alakazam’s worst nightmare, Pursuit. Aside from Spiritomb, Alakazam has ways to work around his other counters. Alakazam can set up a Substitute on Chansey, Taunt her, or Trick her a Choice Specs. Snorlax is very similar but is much more threatening as he can use Pursuit, though it is rare, and he doesn’t mind Taunt. Practically any physical priority attack will kill Alakazam due to his abysmal 45 base Defense, so he must have teammates who are able to take strong physical hits.

[Dream World]

<p> In Magic Guard, Alakazam has obtained arguably the best ability in the game. Once released, Alakazam will benefit greatly from the lack of entry hazard damage, but more importantly, no Life Orb recoil, so you get the 30% boost in power with absolutely no drawbacks. Magic Guard should be the primary option on all sets once released.</p>

This is ready for QC checks. This is my first analysis, so please bear with me if I made any errors in formatting etc.

Inner Focus on Sub + 3 attacks set since Sub blocks status anyway... and Fake Out Ambipom and Hitmontop are very common.

Inner Focus on Sub + 3 attacks set since Sub blocks status anyway... and Fake Out Ambipom and Hitmontop are very common.
I'll give it a slash, but Subs prevent flinch too, and no competent player is going to switch hitmontop into alakazam, let's be honest.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'll give it a slash, but Subs prevent flinch too, and no competent player is going to switch hitmontop into alakazam, let's be honest.
For the record I would if I needed to revenge kill Alakazam and it didn't have a Sub up. Granted the circumstances would have to be right.

Most of the sets look OK, but really Alakazam is kind of underwhelming in this metagame :/

Good job with this! The only concerns I have are with the last two sets. Alakazam is too frail to try to pull off a dual screen set, and designated lead sets are iffy in general because of team preview. I'd like to see them removed before this I stamp this. In addition, you should focus a lot of the analysis on why one would use Alakazam instead of Azelf, Mew, or Espeon. Make those changes and I'll stamp this!

The only reason I can think of for Alakazam's Dual Screen set to be viable is that he's the fastest dual screener with Taunt. High natural special attack is great, but his low defenses means prediction is crucial, and he loses as a lead to faster attackers like Aerodactyl and Accelgor.

Ok, removed the Dual Screen set and the Lead set, but I do think that Encore is the main reason you should use Alakazam over the other Psychic types. I'm testing a Sub+Encore set right now, and it might be worth covering.

Edit: Looks like this:

[SET]
name: Sub+Encore
move 2: Encore
move 3: Psychic / Psyshock
move 4: Focus Blast / Signal Beam
item: Leftovers

Using Alakazam's high speed (He has the second fastest Encore in the game) you can set up a Sub to scout the opponent's next move. If it's a setup move, Encore it and fire away your attacks. This thing actually loves Chansey, it provides the perfect opportunity to screw him over. Psychic vs Psyshock, hitting Steels vs hitting opposing Psychics... etc. This set is taking advantage of one of Alakazam's unique assets, none of his Psychic competitors get access to Encore.

I'd like people to check this set to see if it can be added to the analysis first.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not arguing with you there, Alakazam has some pretty cool moves like Taunt Encore and Knock Off, but they shouldn't get their own set.

Great job with the write-up.

I am about 90% sure you will get approved the second zam gets his dream world ability. Think insanely offensive Reuc with better speed.

Just put Encore in the AC of the sub set, it's a good move but doesn't warrant an additional set.

QC Approved 1/3

HP Ice needs an AC mention on the All-out attacker, since it hits Dragons, Gligar, and Staraptor for SE damage among other things.

Psychic is only 5 base power less than a supereffective HP Ice... and I doubt Gligar can take repeated Psychics. So there's really no need for HP Ice.

Ok, no one in their right mind would switch in Gligar to Alakazam... Psychic + Life Orb is a sure 2HKO. Besides, for all others bar those 4x weak to Ice, 135 BP is not that much different than 140 BP.

Changes made. This needs two more QC checks.

HP Ice is pretty bad on Zam. Like chanazn said, Gligar is effortlessly 2HKOed, Dragons are pretty rare in UU and Staraptor is hit for almost the same amount by Psychic. I'd rather have the coverage of Psychic / Fighting / Ghost.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Remove Life Orb and Grass knot from the second set and just title it "Choice Specs".
Then slash Shadow Ball on both sets with Grass Knot (hits most things for the same or better damage (Slowbro, Spiritomb, also Suicune and other Waters; only thing you really miss out on is Siglyph and Cresselia).

QC Approved (2/3)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I wasn't really impressed with Alakazam when I was trying him out, but the sets look good. God I hate Focus Blast though, be sure to mention HP Fighting in AC.

Also, I didn't really like Psyshock on Alakazam and I'm almost tempted to say take the slash off, but I guess you can leave it.

QC 3/3

I wasn't really impressed with Alakazam when I was trying him out, but the sets look good. God I hate Focus Blast though, be sure to mention HP Fighting in AC.

Also, I didn't really like Psyshock on Alakazam and I'm almost tempted to say take the slash off, but I guess you can leave it.

QC 3/3
Thanks! This is now written up (I had a bit too much spare time)

As I kept pointing out in the analysis, personally I felt that Focus Blast, despite its crappy accuracy, was a major advantage over other Psychic types who could run virtually identical sets. I will mention HP fighting though.

EDIT: Now ready for GP checks!

Remove
Add
Additional comments
[OVERVIEW]

<p>Alakazam has always been an offensive monster. With his 135 base Special Attack stat and 120 Speed, the Psi Pokemon is capable of delivering quite a hit. He gained two excellent new tools in Gen V BW, the first of which is Psyshock which comes off uses his (keep in mind that Alakazam can be either gender, so you shouldn't refer to Alakazam as "he", and also make sure that you carry the same pronoun for Alakazam through the entire analysis) huge Special Attack but hits the opponent's physical defense, allowing him to hurt special walls like Chansey a lot more than he ever could before. The second is the unreleased Magic Guard, which prevents all damage not caused by direct attacks, including Life Orb recoil. However, Alakazam also gained several competitors for the Psychic-type spot on UU teams (your wording here implies that there is one set spot for Psychic-types on a team, consider rewording), coming from Celebi, Mew and Azelf who all dropped through the tiers, and the new Magic Bounce Espeon. In addition, with his 45 base (switched to keep your word order uniform throughout the analysis) Defense, Alakazam isn't surviving any physical hits. Despite these flaws, Alakazam is still stupidly powerful and can differentiate himself from the others UU Psychic-types, as he has the highest Special Attack and Speed of all of them, as well as a support movepool including Encore, Taunt and Knock Off which prevent him from being totally predictable.</p>

[SET]
name: Sub + 3 Attacks
move 2: Psyshock / Psychic
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball / Grass Knot
item: Life Orb / Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This set’s main aim is to lure in counters and weaken if not eliminate them. The execution is relatively simple: Switch in on something that you threaten, set up a Substitute on the switch to scout the switch-in and block status, then attack with the appropriate move. Psyshock or Psychic will be your mandatory STAB move. Psychic is generally more powerful, but Psyshock deals large amounts of damage to Chansey, one of the counters that this set aims to destroy, so Psyshock is the primary option. Focus Blast hits Dark- and Steel-type foes who are immune and resist Psychic moves respectively for super effective damage, whilst Shadow Ball hurts opposing Psychic-types and completes the perfect neutral coverage of Fighting + Ghost. Grass Knot can be used to hurt Bulky Waters Water-types, as well as hitting Spiritomb for the same amount of damage as Shadow Ball; however, you will lose the ability to hit Cresselia, Celebi and Sigilyph. </p>

<p> The EVs on the set are very simple, just maximize Special Attack and Speed. The ability and item of the set are both down to a matter of personal preference. In terms of abilities, Synchronize punishes attempts to status Alakazam when he doesn’t have a Substitute up, and Inner Focus prevents flinching from things like TechniTop Fake Out. In terms of items, Life Orb gives a huge boost in power but Substitute and Life Orb recoil could quickly mount up (you should probably make this sentence more specific). Leftovers is the safer choice, giving Alakazam more Substitutes. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Generally, you will be switching Alakazam in after a kill, as it really cannot afford to take any hit or status move. Obviously, being an offensive Pokemon, Alakazam loves entry hazards wearing down the opponents as they switch in. Due to the purpose of this set, a sweeper who has similar counters to Alakazam would benefit from having them removed. Good examples of the aforementioned sweepers include Nasty Plot Mew and Azelf.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Shadow Ball / Grass Knot
move 4: Trick / Grass Knot
item: Choice Specs
ability: Synchronize

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Choice Specs equipped, Alakazam hits 554 Special Attack. This raw power allows him to rip through weakened teams late game, or hit-and-run early on. The same three attacking moves are used on this set as on the previous set; the only change here is that you forgo Substitute for Trick or Grass Knot. Trick is an excellent way to deal with Chansey if you choose not to run Psyshock, robbing it of Eviolite and locking him her into one move, rendering him her practically useless. Grass Knot is another excellent choice to hit bulky Waters Water-types once again. A pure Life Orb set is also viable, giving Alakazam a little more flexibility, at the expense of some power and HP. </p>

<p> EVs once again max This set also uses maximum Special Attack and Speed to give Alakazam the best possible sweeping potential. Inner Focus really is rather pointless on this set, as any Fake Out coming off even half-decent Attack stat (awkward wording) will kill him, so just go with the preferred ability is Synchronize, which can punish some walls by switching in on Toxic.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Once again, Alakazam loves entry hazards to more easily score some OHKOs and 2HKOs. Alakazam was a big winner from the introduction of Team Preview. It gives the user three advantages; scouting for counters, Pursuit users, and possible Choice Scarf users. Counters can be cleverly neutralized with a well timed Trick or the correct attacking move. Pursuit users are a big problem for this set. You must be very wary of locking yourself into Psychic or Psyshock, as common Pursuit users can switch in on it the attack and eliminate Alakazam as he tries to run. Notable users of the move include Spiritomb, Bisharp and Weavile. You need to watch out for Scarfed Choice Scarf Pokemon and priority users, as they can make revenge killing Alakazam very easy. Alakazam is more powerful and faster than other Psychic-type Choice Specs users, and has the powerful Focus Blast to hit Dark- and Steel-types, whereas Espeon and co. other UU Psychic-types need would have to use the noticeably weaker Hidden Power [Fighting], making him stand out from the crowd. However, if you hate Focus Blast missing at crucial moments, Hidden Power is an option.</p>

[Other Options]

<p> Alakazam has a plethora of options available to him. He has access to two moves that boost Special AttackCalm Mind and Charge Beamwhich can be used to attempt a sweep. However, Alakazam lacks the bulk to set up effectively. Alakazam’s support movepool is huge, sporting moves like Taunt, Encore, Reflect, Light Screen, Magic Coat and Knock Off. Encore is particularly noticeable, as if for when it is used in conjunction with Substitute, he it can be very threatening and can lay the hurt on Chansey and co. cripple Chansey and other special walls. Signal Beam can be used as another coverage move, hitting opposing Psychic-types as well as Dark-types, but you lose the ability to hit Steel-types. Moving on to more gimmicky options, Guard Split with a negative Special Defensive nature and 0 IVs in both Defenses can help even the odds against walls like Cresselia, turning their mammoth defenses against them. Finally, Miracle Eye can surprise Dark-types on the switch, but is rather unnecessary and is often just a waste of a moveslot. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Alakazam’s worst enemies are those who pack Pursuit or a physical priority move. Spiritomb is a major worry, as he is immune to the Psychic / Fighting combination and can comfortably take a coverage move with his high Special Defense can comfortably take a coverage move. He also packs Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch and Alakazam’s worst nightmare, Pursuit. Other than that Aside from Spiritomb, Alakazam has ways to work around his other counters. Alakazam can set up a Substitute on Chansey, Taunt him her, or Trick him her a set of Choice Specs (Choice Specs is technically singular, just like Leftovers). Snorlax is very much the same similar but is much more threatening as he can use Pursuit, though it is rare, and he doesn’t mind Taunt. Pretty much Practically any physical priority attack will kill him due to his abysmal base 45 45 base Defense, so his teammates must be able to cover this weakness. (note: Alakazam's teammates should be able to take physical hits outside of Alakazam's weaknesses because of Alakazam's horrible Defense, not just Ghost, Bug, and Dark attacks)</p>

[Dream World]

<p> In Magic Guard, Alakazam has obtained arguably the best ability in the game. Once released, Alakazam will benefit greatly from the lack of entry hazard damage, but more importantly, no Life Orb recoil, so you get the 30% boost in power with absolutely no drawbacks. Magic Guard should be the primary option on all sets once released.</p>

Sorry about the long break, I went on an unannounced holiday for a few weeks. Anyhow I will update this with Zacchaeus' check tommorow when I have more time.

Thanks, all mentions of Espeon have been erased.
Also updated with Zacchaeus' check. Now I just need two Official GP checkers to stamp this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)