Alakazam

that is insane, that gives zam effectively a base special attack of 170 odd with no drawbacks then? he's going on my team.

Indeed it does as well as normal recoil from moves (though zam doesn't have any of those)
I completely forgot about that. I was thinking that 'Zam was good with Magic Guard mainly for having a perfect Focus Band(since entry hazards don't hit, nor does Sand/Hail), so it'd be a great revenger, but the Life Orb without consequences is just scary.

I completely forgot about that. I was thinking that 'Zam was good with Magic Guard mainly for having a perfect Focus Band(since entry hazards don't hit, nor does Sand/Hail), so it'd be a great revenger, but the Life Orb without consequences is just scary.
Not to mention the ability to switch moves.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not to mention the ability to switch moves.
I think you're confusing Focus Band with Focus Sash and Choice Specs (because Choice Band makes no sense on Alakazam), respectively.

I think you're confusing Focus Band with Focus Sash and Choice Specs (because Choice Band makes no sense on Alakazam), respectively.
No lol, I was simply stating that essentially Life Orb acts as a less powerful Choice Specs (since there's no recoil), but while still being able switch moves.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No lol, I was simply stating that essentially Life Orb acts as a less powerful Choice Specs (since there's no recoil), but while still being able switch moves.
In retrospect, the "confusing" bit probably shouldn't have been applied to you, but you never specified that you were talking about Specs.

elch i'm having a bit of trouble using him, reckon you can put up a log of where you reckon you used alakazam most effectively (i dont mean sweep 6-0 against a noob but where you had to switch around and stuff)? do you save him for late game?

how do you reckon a set of sub/hp fire/psychic/focus blast (for ttar) @life orb would do? sub for when they switch into pursuiters.

He gets awesome 4-move coverage, so countersash isn't even really necessary.

Psychic/focus blast/hidden power gives you the coverage you need. Fire for scizors, Ice for chomps and gliscors. Last Slot is filler: Shadow ball is classic and probably the best, but you could run other options like taunt, encore, recover, toxic? That last slot can have a lot of things in it, and they all work decently.

He gets awesome 4-move coverage, so countersash isn't even really necessary.

Psychic/focus blast/hidden power gives you the coverage you need. Fire for scizors, Ice for chomps and gliscors. Last Slot is filler: Shadow ball is classic and probably the best, but you could run other options like taunt, encore, recover, toxic? That last slot can have a lot of things in it, and they all work decently.
Given his huge SpAtk, free LO use, immense switch causing ability and propensity to be pursuited/Sucker Punched, I'd go for Substitute in the last slot, giving you a choice of move against whatever switches into you or scouting for Sucker Punches/paralysis moves.

You can go both ways: Focus Sash attacker or SubLO attacker.

I've played with Focus Sash Alakazam, and it's a pretty good poke to revenge with. Unless it's Spiritomb, common Pursuit users are weak to Focus Blast/HP Fire anyway, so you can just stay in and dispose of the Pursuit poke. 120 speed and hazard immunity also means that it isn't useless after using the item.

Gotta play with SubLO now. It was surprisingly good on the fourth generation (and Alakazam often took SR/Spikes/Sandstorm/LO damage before. Now all those problems are gone, so...), let's see if it can still hold it's weight.

Honestly, people just don't know how to use 'Zam. Countersash lead? Please. With Psychic/ Psycho Shock/ Shadow Ball/ Focus Blast and LO W/ Magic guard Zam has everything it needs. I'm baffled that most havn't realised that 'Zam is a massive threat, and it's too late before people notice.

Honestly, people just don't know how to use 'Zam. Countersash lead? Please. With Psychic/ Psycho Shock/ Shadow Ball/ Focus Blast and LO W/ Magic guard Zam has everything it needs. I'm baffled that most havn't realised that 'Zam is a massive threat, and it's too late before people notice.
its a nice lead in dw but counter's illegal with magic guard which is a shame.

Zam had better not attempt to do anything else but abuse its speed and spA. Anything else is gimmicky at best since its defense sucks.

Reuniclus also has 90 less base Speed.
Which can be a blessing in disguise, because of Trick Room, which also eliminates scarfers from getting a clean revenge kill.

And with its bulk, it could even set up a trick room into a revenge killer's face to continue its rampage as it once again outspeeds said revenge killer.

I'm not saying Alakazam is better or worse, but it comes to the matter of speed, Reuniclus isn't at a disadvantage.

Why are people acting like Reuniclus' low Spe is an advantage over 'Zams higher Spe just because it works well with Trick Room? Reuniclus has to waste a turn and a moveslot on just getting Trick Room up before it can "outspeed" things. Zam does it off the bat.

Anyway, Zam is a better sweeper, and is great at abusing Magic Guard and LO since it is already frail and the power it affords is colossal. Reuniclus is better at abusing its bulk as a set up sweeper. Different pokes. Not really comparable beyond typing/ ability.

Why are people acting like Reuniclus' low Spe is an advantage over 'Zams higher Spe just because it works well with Trick Room? Reuniclus has to waste a turn and a moveslot on just getting Trick Room up before it can "outspeed" things. Zam does it off the bat.

Anyway, Zam is a better sweeper, and is great at abusing Magic Guard and LO since it is already frail and the power it affords is colossal. Reuniclus is better at abusing its bulk as a set up sweeper. Different pokes. Not really comparable beyond typing/ ability.
I don't think you realize, but you really just contradicted yourself. The fact that Zam is frail is the reason Magic Guard doesn't help it. There is no possible way a team will let Alakazam attack 10 times regardless, and you undoubtedly be revenged just as easily as if you were taking recoil damage. Your frailty makes passive damage irrelevant, as with the defenses of a wet paper bag, residual is rarely needed to KO you

Zam and Reuniclus are totally different pokemon, despite having the same ability and type. Reuniclus sets up SUPER well, but is vulnerable because it has to. Zam can't set up for shit, but doesn't need to.

This sounded initially gimmicky, but has anyone tried a set using guard split and psyshock? It seems like Zam's awful defense could be used to its advantage, helping compensate for psyshock's power drop from psychic.

And if psycho shock is a no go, hit it specially, because things expecting to sponge Zam's special attacks tend to have more than 175 SpD. For example, if a pokemon with a spD stat of 300 switches into guard split, its spD goes to 237.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)