Alphabet Cup

Parting shot is a sound based move
Yup. I believe that when they were thinking "Parting Shot", they were looking at Dictionary.com's 16th definition of the word: A remark aimed at some person or thing. Ergo, it means "shot" as in "insult", not "shot" as in "gun".

EDIT: Did I seriously just say "ergo"?

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Soundproof isn't that much of a worry, whatcha gonna sweep me with, bastiodon? Lol

And all the bounce Pokemon are defensive, so there's no point staying in on them anyways.

It's a shame pory doesn't get prankster like in alphabetmons :/

Soundproof isn't that much of a worry, whatcha gonna sweep me with, bastiodon? Lol

And all the bounce Pokemon are defensive, so there's no point staying in on them anyways.

It's a shame pory doesn't get prankster like in alphabetmons :/
#epicexploudsweep
#epicmimejrsweep

But in all seriousness, don't worry about alphabetmons. I prefer this meta anyways. In alphabetmons, any S-mon is essentially far too OP (that's also true here, but to a lesser degree). We should focus on coming up with strategies, not the other metas. (until the OMOTM comes up again.)

EDIT: Like my appreciation of the meta changes anything...but I like it.

Last edited:
Really? That makes very little sense.
In any case, Soundproof is kinda rare and shouldn't really be taken into account too much. Although if it blocks Parting Shot, that's definitely a bonus.
Parting Shot, as in a cliché villain's quip as he escapes, not an actual bullet.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Parting Shot, as in a cliché villain's quip as he escapes, not an actual bullet.
Ah, I see.
Although in that case, it should probably be called something like "Final One-Liner".
Which would be great for Foretress, Ferrothorn, and Froslass. But I digress.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Protip : Give 36 Speed EVs to Slurpuff in order to outspeed +2 Greninja.

There are a lot of interesting ideas being used, like Overheat Heart Swap Heatran (which really caught me off-guard) and Skill Swap Slaking + Gothitelle (although Geomancy maybe wasn't the best idea...)

And oh my god Wobbuffet is better than I could have possibly imagined. Just look at this :
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/alphabetcup-94701814

It doesn't need Counter. It doesn't need Mirror Coat. It doesn't even need Encore. It just needs Will-O-Wish and Wish and Whirlwind and it can cripple everything physical. It's like a better Rotom.

Speaking of Rotom, it's now the best Rapid Spinner in the tier, not that I've seen many hazards. Go figure

Everybody who doesn't use a Shell Smasher uses Sableye + Belly Drum Breloom/Bisharp (Bisharp is very good).

Obviously, Thundurus is on every team ever, and countering it is hard, since it just switches out once the job is done. Most matches come down to whose Thundurus will go down first, and which sweeper will subsequently sweep. Much of the match is trying to take down Thundurus, but obviously, it won't come out unless somebody boosts, and nobody boosts because the 3 big boosting moves (Shell Smash, Geomancy, Belly Drum) can only be preformed once in most cases. And even when he does appear, he just uses Topsy-Turvy, then switches out. (Incidentally, I've given a Scarf to mine. It's surprisingly good with Trick and Volt Switch, although the last move is filler) So the easiest way to take care of it is to bait him out by sending out Bisharp or Slurpuff or Salamence, and just attacking without boosting. If Thundurus is sent out, predicting the boost, you can just damage him. Chances are the opponent wont take the risk and assume you're clever enough to not boost while Thudurus is still active.

This all means that my Stored Power Shell Smash Slurpuff actually kinda sucks, since I can never use Shell Smash against an experienced player.

Basically, Thundurus' mere presence stops boosts from actually happening. Whether we ban it depends on whether we want 5v5 matches with no boosting, or 6v6 matches with insane boosting.
Thundy doesn't like staying in, so I've actually decided to give it a Scarf, since all he does is Topsy-Turvy. It works suprisingly well with Trick and Volt Switch.

Last edited:
I've been messing around with this a bit, and built a HO team to use lead Sableye. Spore/Taunt/SR/Spikes @Sash is insanely good, almost guarantees SR and 2 layers. Also spinblocks and incapacitates any threat you have a problem with (aka you're gonna get swept).

Thundurus oddly hasn't seen much use on my team yet.

Bisharp is really strong. I'm running a LO utility set w/ Bullet Punch, Sucker Punch, Knock Off, and Bonemerang. It's a surprisingly effective counter to Parting Shot (e.g. that Porygon2 posted a while back, which I actually faced) and can revenge/wallbreak a whole lot of things on its own.

Latios gets Lava Plume for steels and Leaf Storm to slam Rotom-W (which has been on almost every team I've seen).

Manaphy has the ability to be a wicked stallbreaker/set up user with either CM or Tail Glow, as it gets Moonblast for really solid 2-move coverage and can even use Milk Drink.

Extremespeed Excadrill has been surprisingly effective, as well, as the typical SD Spinner.

Albacore

Thundurus oddly hasn't seen much use on my team yet.
You rarely use Thundurus, but you always carry it. That's the kind of Pokemon he is.
He's a bit like a nuclear weapon : you don't intend to use it, but its mere presence stops the opponent from engaging in any strong offense, so regular offense is used in the meantime.

For the record, this is what happens when you don't carry Thundurus :
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/alphabetcup-94730454
(And no, Slurpuff doesn't carry Secret Sword; I prefer Dazzling Gleam to not get walled by Latias and I can just set up over Chansey anyway)
(Also, accidental Sweet Veil that actually went in my favor)

Greninja is one of the most effective lures for Thundurus, since it can outspeed and OHKO incredibly cleanly :
252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 302-356 (100.6 - 118.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Of course, if it has T-Wave, Greninja is doomed.

Slurpuff is pretty interesting, and I'm a little dissapointed by it. It doesn't get the KOs I expect it to. The funny thing about it is that you can chose it to get walled by Aegislash (lack of Searing Shot), Heatran (lack of Secret Sword), and Lati@s (lack of Dazzling Gleam). I chose Heatran because it isn't OHKOd anyway, and I have a Greninja that eats Hetaran for breakfast.

I've tried Mega Medicam, and it's really good. It's a fantastic counter to Bisharp, and it can clean teams without riskig the Topsy Turvy Of Doom. Here's a taste of what it can do :
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-alphabetcup-94845537
(also lol @ Cute Charm Sylveon)

Last edited:
Did anyone mention that Slaking Gets Skill Swap and any Pokémon starting with T gets Techno Blast?
I'm using Tornadus and it having a Thunderbolt/TechnoBlast-Ice Coverage really helps, and the power it gets with Tail Glow is amazing. (I guess Thundurus would be better but whatever)
Also Doublade gets 100% accurate Dark Void and Dragon Tail.

If a Contrary Shuckle had Superpower, and that Shuckle was boosted by a Thundurus' or Tornadus' Prankster Trick Room...
It would be broken as hell.

If a Contrary Shuckle had Superpower, and that Shuckle was boosted by a Thundurus' or Tornadus' Prankster Trick Room...
It would be broken as hell.
Well, Defense-wise...the attacking power would be pitiful. Even after 6 uses of Superpower, it wouldn't be phenomenal. And you have to pay attention to Topsy-Turvy counters, which could turn that thing on its head, literally and metaphorically.

...I have to mention something: Genesect and Lucarionite are unbanned until proven broken... Genesect and MegaLuke have not yet posed a problem to this meta, and hell, enough stuff is more broken than Luke (I'm not saying anything on Geomancy Genesect just yet).
Yeah, erm, just tried to use Genesect. 'Twas on the banned list, and I didn't see any sort of consensus on banning either yet. Might want to fix that up.
Anyway, the ladder's finally up! Woo!
Edit: Wobbuffet has been seeing quite a bit of use. Wish/WoW/Whirlwind/Encore does wonders on anything that doesnt have taunt.

Last edited:
I use a this set
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Belly Drum
- Baton Pass
- Mach Punch

and it really works wonders. I can usually get a baton pass off which makes Scizor a beast.

+6 0 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Storm Throw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Filter Mega Aggron on a critical hit: 393-463 (114.2 - 134.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Would do more, but I can't think of any.
His only real counter is thundorus and to some extent aegislash. The sad thing is, these are extremely popular pokemon.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
I've been playing around a bit, and I say, if you're gonna pass to anything, pass to weavile. Weavile doesn't get anything really useful from its name, but it's an extremely fast, powerful sweeper. Being faster than thunderus means that you can ko it with ice shard before it topsy turvy's you.

It also gets insanely powerful stab knock off (really, this move is op)

It's pretty frail so you'll have to watch out for espeeders, but if your opponent doesn't have any they're kinda screwed.

I'll do calcs later.

Last edited:
Yeah, erm, just tried to use Genesect. 'Twas on the banned list, and I didn't see any sort of consensus on banning either yet. Might want to fix that up.
Anyway, the ladder's finally up! Woo!
Edit: Wobbuffet has been seeing quite a bit of use. Wish/WoW/Whirlwind/Encore does wonders on anything that doesnt have taunt.
Dammit somebody noticed that before I nixed that post. Basically I think the current OU Banlist was copied over and to be fair, Geomansect was probably bordering on broken anyway. Lucario gets nothing new and cool really, but can still do a number on most things with its Mega. Within the context of the meta these guys are still really, really good.

TalkTakesTime

as shallow as a plate of cereal
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dammit somebody noticed that before I nixed that post. Basically I think the current OU Banlist was copied over and to be fair, Geomansect was probably bordering on broken anyway. Lucario gets nothing new and cool really, but can still do a number on most things with its Mega. Within the context of the meta these guys are still really, really good.
If you want I can unban those two on the PS ladder? You are correct, it is currently using the standard OU banlist plus Swoobat

If you want I can unban those two on the PS ladder? You are correct, it is currently using the standard OU banlist plus Swoobat
I don't know how ready the world is for Geomancy Genesect but let's open Pandora's Box here and unban these two guys. (And for the record, there won't be any more ban changes this month, sorry about this one).

Albacore

We should make a potential banlist, or at least a threatlist. I've actually got a list of Pokemon that may or may not be broken :

Thundurus (although he does keep stat boosters in check and makes for a very interesting metagame), Tornadus, Sableye, Wobbuffet, Slaking, Genesect, Greninja, Slurpuff, Salamence, Darmanitan, Chansey, Lucarionite, Bisharp, Breloom, Banette (although I haven't seen it so I can't attest to that), Porygon2. I may have forgotten some.

As I said, I don't think any of these are necessarily broken, but we might want to look at them more closely, because they pretty much are the metagame.

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
I've been messing around with this a bit, and built a HO team to use lead Sableye. Spore/Taunt/SR/Spikes @Sash is insanely good, almost guarantees SR and 2 layers. Also spinblocks and incapacitates any threat you have a problem with (aka you're gonna get swept).
Sableye also gets sticky web which really comes in handy against every team that does not have a bisharp. Priority spore, sticky web and stealth rocks pretty much guarantees a pokemon asleep and a sw+sr up. Combine it with a move like wow or taunt and you have yourself an amazing lead.

Kyurem black is my favorite new pokemon in alphabetmons. You'd be surprised how effective a king's shield set is. It resists a lot of the special attacks in the tier, and also makes it pretty much a counter against band talonflame if SR isn't up. Physical attackers have a hard time breaking through Kyurem-b at -2, even super effective attacks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)