SM UU An Attempt to Make Absol Good (Possibly in Vain)

Favorite UU Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Mega Absol is one of my favorite mega evolutions. Its design is phenomenal and it’s a treat to look at. I even used one in XY and it was incredibly good against the A.I. Such power doesn’t translate well into the dog-eat-dog world that is competitive Pokemon, however.
Mega Absol faces so many problems in the current UU metagame. But if we take a look at Absol’s stats, they’re not even too awful.
31E2632F-3064-40F1-8809-963AF147AFD3.jpeg

Taking a look at this chart, its offensive stats are quite good and allow for mixed sets for great versatility. Additionally, Absol’s speed tier is quite good, managing to outspeed threats like Latias and take it out with ease. Even with these amazing benefits, there are two debilitating traits that prevent Mega Absol from reaching the upper eschalons of viability.
While Absol’s attacking stats are superb, its defenses are absolutely pitiful (pun intended). It dies to most neutral and even some resisted attacks, let alone any super effective ones. The other downside is it’s movepool. Not the movepool itself, it’s actually quite expansive. The problem stems from the fact Absol needs at least TWO dark type attacks, them being Knock Off and Sucker Punch. This restricts Absol very much. The third move has to be either Pursuit or Swords Dance, depending on whether you are an SD sweeper or an All Out Attacker, assuming you want the most viable Absol set. This leaves only one last move for coverage. Fire Blast for Scizor, Play Rough for Hydreigon and Krookodile, Ice Beam for Gliscor, the list goes on. While this is nice, you can’t cover all the Pokémon in your laundry list of checks and counters. Nevertheless, Absol is a Pokemon I’d love to make good, in any way possible, and this team tries to accomplish that.
There’s just a few things I want to say first. First off, this team isn’t viable at all. I’ve only survived because I’ve outplayed my opponents, plain and simple. Should a competent player be up against me, I’m dead meat. Second, the goal of this is to make Absol viable, I don’t care about the rest of the team, if it gets a complete makeover, that’s fine. I just request that all rates keep Absol at the center.

B1D17563-045B-4B4F-8817-3EB0C1B85D8C.png

Absol-Mega (F) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Despite what was said before, Absol can be a very solid Pokemon should you play your cards right. Knock Off is extremely powerful on Mega Absol, keying off of 150 attack, likewise with Sucker Punch. Fire Blast OHKOs Scizor, which can be a common switchin from an unsuspecting opponent. Finally, Swords Dance gives Absol the threatening level of firepower it needs. Being able to OHKO Mega Manectric with Sucker Punch, and 2HKO Primarina and Klefki.
As stated, Absol can be a good Pokemon, given the right circumstances. It bears the C+ ranking in the UU viability tier list for a reason. So you’re looking at an average Pokemon at least, maybe slightly better.
BEEE3D03-8B14-4819-B197-246D0F37DB6B.png

Tsareena @ Choice Band
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Slow U-Turn support is good if not imperative for Absol, since it can’t switch into any attacks from a remotely powerful Pokemon directly without being felled. Tsareena seemed like a good option, efficiently dealing with bulky waters as well as threatening the almighty Krookodile, all of which give Absol trouble.
Power Whip combined with Tsareena’s attack stat provides an unholy amount of power. Overkilling every Water/Ground, OHKOing every water type, OHKOing Mega Aerodactyl, and even managing to pull a 2HKO after Stealth Rock on both Hydreigon and Kyurem. High Jump Kick is very nice for the straight OHKO on the latter two Pokemon, and picking up a 2HKO on Scizor, who may try to switch into your Dominatrix Fury Power Whip. U-Turn is on the set for reasons stated previous, and Rapid Spin is there for reasons that should be obvious.
E2C754D2-007F-45F0-8A28-CC7ECD214B8C.png

Klefki (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Dazzling Gleam

Dual Screens support is very important for not only Absol, but for the team as a whole. Nothing on this team can really take a hit too well, so having the screens up is nothing but imperative. This also applies for spike stacking, which whittles down opposing Pokemon quite well after a short amount of time, allowing Absol as well as the rest of the team to pick up kills they otherwise couldn’t get. Dazzling Gleam is just there’s so Klefki isn’t helpless, though I’ve occasionally switched it out for Thunder Wave or Toxic if I’m feeling particularly spicy.
481449B7-4142-4363-A28F-649E171828E1.png

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Superpower

Nidoking is an extremely threatening Pokémon, having no true switchins. Nidoking greatly appreciates Absol’s ability to take out fast threats like Latias. In return, Nidoking ably takes two HP Ices from a Mega Manectric (three with screens up) and counterattacks with an Earth Power for an OHKO. Obviously, this isn’t ideal at all, but it’s all I got, and this will hopefully be fixed later. Sludge Wave hits every non-steel Pokemon in UU quite hard, even resisted hits can take up to 40%. Ice Beam is nice for opposing Latias hoping to switch in, as well as Gliscor. Superpower is an unconventional choice that 2HKOs Blissey on the switch. However, I tend to swap out this fourth move quite often. Fire Blast, Thunderbolt, and even Stealth Rock are moves I commonly run.
2FDCD38F-36EA-4DB0-BF2A-BF6A27EDE170.png

Mienshao (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

I remember when Mienshao was a relevant UU Pokemon. A fast revenge killer is appreciated for any team, and Mienshao was my choice here. Honestly, there’s no reason in particular of why I chosen Mienshao specifically outside of heat. I’m sure there are plenty of superior choice scarfers in UU that could fulfill this role just as well if not better than Mienshao, but I chose it anyway.
Even though Mienshao is an unideal choice, a 156 base power High Jump Kick keying off of Mienshao’s high 125 attack stat is still quite strong. U-Turn suitably allows Pokémon like Absol to come in safely without taking a hit (hopefully). Knock Off hits Pokémon like Gengar and Alolan Marowak, and Stone Edge hits Beedrill, another big threat to this team.
7F366011-6521-43F3-834D-FFDCFC8C8CA6.png

Primarina (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Sparkling Aria

This team is very much so threatened by the likes of Hydreigon and Kyurem, as well as other strong special hitters should the screens be down. Primarina is essentially my only answer. Specs Hydro Pump hits the entire tier stupidly hard, as does Moonblast. Psychic is for those pesky Gengar switchins but you don’t want to miss a Hydro...I guess (it’ll be much more useful when Amoongus drops). Sparkling Aria is for those...Sub CM Chandelures?

Anyways, that’s the team. The very poorly made, uncompetitive team. But hey, that’s why I’m here right?
For all one of you who wants to import the team, here you go.
https://pokepast.es/bba3d22b8e1e4238

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Hi, this team looks pretty fun tbh, but it doesn't seem like the type of thing i'd bring to the ladder expecting to go on a dub streak u know, I think I can make this team from somewhat gimmicky and just a team made to have fun, to an at least somewhat competitive and workable team n_n. I think Mabsol is a really cool pokemon tbh, I've been known to use it a little bit in the past, but I also think it's pretty bad. Loom leaving definitely did some good things for it though, so trying it out now might be a good idea! One BIG problem with this team is the fact that you straight up don't have rocks, the team relies on Magic Bounce to get rocks on the field, which is pretty awful considering Mabsol doesn't come in on anything... meaning it's a risk to use it as a magic bouncer pretty much always. Another big thing, the Scizor matchup is like really really bad, I think band Scizor 1v1s everything with BP bar Tsareena. Well, let's see what happens.

- To start off, I actually really like Nidoking here, and you could easily just put rocks > Superpower so whenever a fairy comes in on Mabsol it = free rocks. However I'm going with Rhyperior > Nidoking because as of rn pretty much this whole team has issues with Moltres, the fire and flying resistances are just too helpful here, and while Rhyperior is a lil passive, it still has an absurd atk stat to keep the offensive presence up on an otherwise offensive team. Reminder in the future to always have rocks on your competitive teams!!
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

- I'm going with Sub Gengar > Primarina here to kind of serve the similar purpose that Nidoking served. When a fairy comes in on Mabsol, Gengar will be able to get a sub up on the fairy and just start clicking attacks, it also somewhat makes up for the lack of a fairy type because a lot of teams rely on Hydreigon as their ghost answer, but it can lure drei with Fight Z from behind the sub owo.
Gengar @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

/
- So for this one you can do two things, if you're really scared of Hydreigon, I don't think the fairy typing is SUPER necessary for this team rn, but if you really want it and really like Klefki on the team, you can simply run standard Klefki > Screens Klefki. Spikes + Gengar and Mabsol is really cool and it is still great on this team as something that can handle dragons and set spikes, however I wouldn't go with dual screens simply because it's sort of gimmicky, Defog is everywhere, and unfortunately even with dual screens, Mabsol will still lose to like literally every fairy ever. Another option is running CB Scizor > Klefki, which forms a great U-Turn core with your scarfer while also giving Pursuit support. I prefer Klefki a little bit more, but either option works.
Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise

OR

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Now just a couple of small changes...
- This thing is pretty much better than Mienshao in like almost every way, having this > Mienshao improves your Serp, Scizor, and even Malt matchup so fuckin much and there's really no reason here to not have it over Mienshao.
Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

- This is just changing the set from CB Tsareena -> Grass Plate Tsareena. If I'm using Tsareena as a spinner I prefer grass plate set 999x over CB, being locked into spin is dumb and kinda just asking someone to defog ur screens away.
Tsareena @ Rose Incense
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick / Knock Off
- U-turn / Synthesis / Knock Off

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Tsareena @ Rose Incense
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Gengar @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

That's basically it, I tried really hard not to change too much but Mabsol is just so difficult to make work in gen 7 ;w;. If you have any questions lmk on PS or Smogon n_n.

Last edited:
Hi, this team looks pretty fun tbh, but it doesn't seem like the type of thing i'd bring to the ladder expecting to go on a dub streak u know, I think I can make this team from somewhat gimmicky and just a team made to have fun, to an at least somewhat competitive and workable team n_n. I think Mabsol is a really cool pokemon tbh, I've been known to use it a little bit in the past, but I also think it's pretty bad. Loom leaving definitely did some good things for it though, so trying it out now might be a good idea! One BIG problem with this team is the fact that you straight up don't have rocks, the team relies on Magic Bounce to get rocks on the field, which is pretty awful considering Mabsol doesn't come in on anything... meaning it's a risk to use it as a magic bouncer pretty much always. Another big thing, the Scizor matchup is like really really bad, I think band Scizor 1v1s everything with BP bar Tsareena. Well, let's see what happens.

- To start off, I actually really like Nidoking here, and you could easily just put rocks > Superpower so whenever a fairy comes in on Mabsol it = free rocks. However I'm going with Rhyperior > Nidoking because as of rn pretty much this whole team has issues with Moltres, the fire and flying resistances are just too helpful here, and while Rhyperior is a lil passive, it still has an absurd atk stat to keep the offensive presence up on an otherwise offensive team. Reminder in the future to always have rocks on your competitive teams!!
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

- I'm going with Sub Gengar > Primarina here to kind of serve the similar purpose that Nidoking served. When a fairy comes in on Mabsol, Gengar will be able to get a sub up on the fairy and just start clicking attacks, it also somewhat makes up for the lack of a fairy type because a lot of teams rely on Hydreigon as their ghost answer, but it can lure drei with Fight Z from behind the sub owo.
Gengar @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

/
- So for this one you can do two things, if you're really scared of Hydreigon, I don't think the fairy typing is SUPER necessary for this team rn, but if you really want it and really like Klefki on the team, you can simply run standard Klefki > Screens Klefki. Spikes + Gengar and Mabsol is really cool and it is still great on this team as something that can handle dragons and set spikes, however I wouldn't go with dual screens simply because it's sort of gimmicky, Defog is everywhere, and unfortunately even with dual screens, Mabsol will still lose to like literally every fairy ever. Another option is running CB Scizor > Klefki, which forms a great U-Turn core with your scarfer while also giving Pursuit support. I prefer Klefki a little bit more, but either option works.
Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise

OR

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Now just a couple of small changes...
- This thing is pretty much better than Mienshao in like almost every way, having this > Mienshao improves your Serp, Scizor, and even Malt matchup so fuckin much and there's really no reason here to not have it over Mienshao.
Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

- This is just changing the set from CB Tsareena -> Grass Plate Tsareena. If I'm using Tsareena as a spinner I prefer grass plate set 999x over CB, being locked into spin is dumb and kinda just asking someone to defog ur screens away.
Tsareena @ Rose Incense
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick / Knock Off
- U-turn / Synthesis / Knock Off

Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

Tsareena @ Rose Incense
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Gengar @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

That's basically it, I tried really hard not to change too much but Mabsol is just so difficult to make work in gen 7 ;w;. If you have any questions lmk on PS or Smogon n_n.
The rate is very appreciated! I honestly ran half the mons in this team just for clout, but your changes are definitely an improvement competitively lol.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, I've always liked to use Mega Absol. I noticed that the team is pretty weak to Scizor, Gliscor, Mega Manectric, Flying-types, and Dragon-types. I did my best to support the beginning core of Swords Dance Mega Absol + Primarina.
  • The first change I did is Nihilego > Nidoking. This change really improves your matchup against Flying-types such as Togekiss, Moltres, and Mega Pidgeot, which your team really hates. Just like Nidoking, Nihilego allows you to pressure Fairy-types that try to take advantage of Mega Absol and Tsareena. Furthermore, because of Nihilego's poor Defense, it might be a target for Pursuit trappers, such as Scizor. In that case, if Scizor actually does attempt to Pursuit trap Nihilego, Mega Absol could potentially end up with a rather free Swords Dance. I chose a Stealth Rock set with Hidden Power Ice because your team lacks a Stealth Rock, a move every competitive team should have on it, and because Gliscor also looked really threatening.
  • You don't have a Ground-type at that point, which makes the aforementioned Mega Manectric weakness even worse. I decided to change Krookodile > Mienshao, to help improve that. Not only does Krookodile allow you to pressure Mega Manectric, it also allows you to pressure Mega Aerodactyl, which looked really threatening at that point.
  • The Scizor matchup is what I was worried about the most at that point, so I decided to change Volcanion > Primarina. Volcanion, just like Primarina, is a really strong Water-type wallbreaker that puts a lot of pressure on opposing offensive teams. Unlike Primarina, Volcanion's typing and great natural bulk allow it to reliably check Scizor.
  • The team looked pretty fine at this point, but I still did a few more small changes. I changed Klefki's set to the standard Spikes support set with Magnet Rise with maximum investment in Defense, mainly to help improve the Mega Altaria weakness. Shuca Berry is a weird choice here and should generally not be used on Klefki, but I feel like is extremely necessary, with no Ground immunities. Sorry, I just couldn't really fit one. I also changed Tsareena's set to Miracle Seed > Choice Band and Synthesis > U-turn to help its longevity and for the sake of not having too many Pokemon with Choice-items. Lastly, on Mega Absol, Superpower > Fire Blast allows you to pressure Steel-types such as Mega Aggron and Empoleon better and just has better synergy with Swords Dance.

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Tsareena @ Miracle Seed
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- Synthesis

Klefki @ Shuca Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Nihilego @ Electrium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Iron Tail

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Sludge Wave

Let me know if there's any question, I hope that the rate helped you.

EDIT: Because I wasn't as satisfied with my rate because of the lack of Ground-immune, another alternative is to change Rhyperior > Nihilego and Hydreigon / Latias > Krookodile, but that's for the cost of your Togekiss, Mega Aerodactyl, and Toxic Spikes matchups. Hydreigon allows you to handle Dark- and Ghost-types such as Krookodile and Chandelure better, while Latias allows you to handle Fighting-types such as Infernape better. This change also potentially allows you to change Klefki's item to Leftovers.

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Tsareena @ Miracle Seed
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- Synthesis

Klefki @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Toxic

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Flash Cannon

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave

//

Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Tsareena @ Miracle Seed
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Rapid Spin
- High Jump Kick
- Synthesis

Klefki @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Toxic

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave

Last edited:

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
absol :D

i dont think the swords dance sets really need fire blast, if you replaced it with superpower you'd get better results out of it imo. for example, you are not walled by hydreigon. and you can optimise mega absol's spread to take on scizor for what it's worth, if you ran EVs: 224 Atk / 44 Def / 240 Spe you are able to outspeed Serperior and are guaranteed to live a CB bullet punch so that should help.

now while you do have fairies i do think this has a losing match up against something like hydreigon + manectric in the long run because of how easily they can generate momentum against your team, which is why i think you should consider using rotom cut over tsareena, particularly the thunder wave set. pretty much everyone uses hydreigon as their initial pivot into rotom cut so this is a good way to punish that and thus remove on of mega absol's checks. i would recommend something like electrium (so you can check scizor) defog thunder wave as the fillers.

speaking of scizor there are also issues with stopping him, since you already have a good fairy to pair with mega absol in primarina, i think you can replace klefki with doublade and a swords dance set with sacred sword and gyro ball should do nicely! try this ev spread EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 64 Def / 56 SpD, it lets you take leaf storm and +2 hp fire from serp and 2 eqs from scarf krook. i think.

some little things, like rocks over superpower on nidoking would be more consistent and yeah replacing the scarfer would be a good thing to do >_> even i like mienshao but it's ungood :(, personal recommendation would be scarf hydrei, but you could also try infernape.

hope this helps

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)