An OU Test Drive

Hello and welcome to the second warstory that I have created, and the first that is about standard play, as opposed to my previous Challenge Cup story. The contestants are Snodgrass - me - and soappybubbles on the PO server. The battle was found within a rating of 200 and in the same tier, Wifi OU. Here are the teams that the two of us used.

VS

This was one of my first attempts at an OU team this year, and it looks pretty generic. I'll probably go back to using other Pokemon that fit together well enough to beat OU's elite, but I wanted to at least try to create a solid OU team. This was one of my first battles with the team and I have since made a few adjustments, but enjoy the battle!

Battle between soappybubbles and Snodgrass started!

Tier: Wifi OU
Variation: +11, -21
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: Wifi Battle

I've not really played enough of the current metagame to know all the roles of Pokémon, so when I saw Metagross, I was doubting myself. Metagross is in the lower echelons of the Overused tier, so I've seen less of them and by extension, know less about them. Seeing it in the lead position gave away the fact that it was probably a Stealth Rocker, however. Usually in this situation, I'd send out my own SR setter, Heatran, but I fear Earthquake. I know that Metagross is more physically inclined so I begin with Rotom-W, of the Scarf variant.

Snodgrass sent out Rotom-W!
soappybubbles sent out Metagross!

100%
100%

Hydro Pump would definitely be a clean 2HKO (assuming no miss hax), giving Metagross the chance to set up rocks no matter what I do. If I used Hydro Pump, he'd get his Rocks up and then tank the hit with his Suicune, allowing him a free turn - a bad idea if it is a CroCune. My Hidden Power Ice won't be doing a lot either, so I'll just Volt Switch out of there.

Start of turn 1
Rotom-W used Volt Switch!
The foe's Metagross lost 32% of its health!
Snodgrass called Rotom-W back!
Snodgrass sent out Celebi!
The foe's Metagross used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Snodgrass's team!

100%
74%

His Metagross has Leftovers, and so does my Celebi, so I've omitted the healing and Stealth Rock damage from the log, bear that in mind. I bring in Celebi because it can take anything that Metagross can throw at it. This is the classic Tinkerbell set, for paralysis support and linking up well with Heatran. Leaf Storm would do nothing here, so I go for the super effective Earth Power, although I know it probably won't be able to OHKO Metagross. He'll attack in response as I doubt he'll read my mind and switch to Latios this early in the game. I could paralyze Metagross just in case of a switch, but if he stayed in, I'd be in a very bad position.

Start of turn 2
Celebi used Earth Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Metagross lost 57% of its health!
The foe's Metagross used Meteor Mash!
Celebi lost 205 HP! (51% of its health)

55%
23%

With him under 25%, Earth Power would be a surefire KO. However, I'm stuck with a bit of a pickle here. Will he sacrifice Metagross so early on or not? It packs a powerful Meteor Mash and maybe he'll want it later to punch holes in things such as Celebi. He also may want its Earthquake/Hammer Arm to pummel Heatran. I decide that I'll assume he'll switch, and he has a couple of options. Latias or Latios could come in on an Earth Power which they are immune to, or perhaps his Heatran carries a balloon and then could counter Celebi. I'll switch in Scizor to see what happens. This way, I'll be able to scout HP Fire on his Latis or lure a fire attack from Heatran to bring in my own.

Start of turn 3
Snodgrass called Celebi back!
Snodgrass sent out Scizor!
soappybubbles called Metagross back!
soappybubbles sent out Latios!

87%
100%

He decides not to sacrifice his Metagross and brings out the fearsome Latios to avoid the incoming Earth Power. I bring in my Scizor and now I have to switch, and sadly, without U-turning. My own Latios carries HP Fire but because he carries both Latis, I'm assuming just one of them has Scizor's worst nightmare. I cannot risk the 50% chance so I'll switch in Heatran, who can happily take HP Fire due to its ability, whilst also shrugging off Draco Meteor. I'm also keen to get my Stealth Rocks up.

Start of turn 4
soappybubbles called Latios back!
soappybubbles sent out Heatran!
Snodgrass called Scizor back!
Snodgrass sent out Heatran!

93%
100%

So he brings out his own Heatran to deal with Scizor and now it's a battle between two of a kind. I run a set with Lava Plume, Toxic, Roar, and Stealth Rock, but have no idea what he runs. There is no Air Balloon but he could either run Lefties like me, or a Choice Scarf set. I doubt he runs SR like myself as he has Metagross for that. Dragon Pulse seems more popular than Earth Power though for some reason so I'll take a risk and set up my Rocks.

Start of turn 5
soappybubbles called Heatran back!
soappybubbles sent out Latias!
Heatran used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around soappybubbles's team!

99%
100%

I'm liking this match up. His Heatran doesn't have Earth Power so switches out, leaving me to believe that he indeed runs Dragon Pulse. He brings in Latias, maybe in anticipation of Rotom-W to scare out his Heatran with Hydro Pump. However, I get my Rocks up and now face a Latias. Considering he also has a Latios, it is probably a supporting Calm Minder so I can Toxic her to prevent its longevity (unless it has Refresh), and to scout for Calm Mind, in which case I will Roar next turn.

Start of turn 6
The foe's Latias used Reflect!
Reflect raised soappybubbles's team defense!
Heatran used Toxic!
The foe's Latias was poisoned!

100%
94% (B. PSN) (RFLCT)

Reflect? Latias doesn't seem like a Dual Screener. Perhaps it is utilizing Reflect to increase its defense whilst Calm Mind boosting its special defense? Reflect doesn't bother me too much, however. I have no plans to bring out Terrakion yet, but it will perhaps decrease the usefulness of Scizor's U-turn. Anyway, I can't see him hanging around for long. He has nothing to hit me with and Calm Minding is pointless due to the poison. He'll probably switch, so I'll Roar to scout what he wants to use to take down Heatran.

Start of turn 7
soappybubbles called Latias back!
Heatran used Roar!
The foe's Metagross was dragged out!

100%
23% (RFLCT)

He brings in Latios to deal with Heatran, probably planning a Specs Surf to wash the fiery monster away, but Roar assures that Latios does nothing more than take SR damage. His depleted Metagross is forced out, leaving me with two options: A) assume that he is faster and use Lava Plume to finish him off, or B) switch into a Levitator to avoid a predicted Earthquake and then take him out. Since there is always the chance of him running Speed EVs to outrun Heatran, and also the chance that he'll switch in a Heatran counter, I'll go for option B to avoid an Earthquake.

Start of turn 8
Snodgrass called Heatran back!
The foe's Metagross used Earthquake!
It had no effect!

87%
29% (RFLCT)

This confirms that he is running a set of SR/EQ/MM and likely Bullet Punch to pick things off, although he could have an elemental punch or Hammer Arm instead. Rotom-W comes in on my opponent's Metagross for free and I could finish him off with Hydro Pump. However, I'm in no rush to kill anything, so I'll see if he switches, using Volt Switch. It may be able to finish off his Metagross too, but I am mainly scouting a switch.

Start of turn 9
Rotom-W used Volt Switch!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Latias lost 12% of its health!
Snodgrass called Rotom-W back!
Snodgrass sent out Latios!

87%
82% (B. PSN) (RFLCT)

He indeed switches, hoping to keep his Metagross alive, and out comes his poisoned Latias. I respond with Latias' brother, Latios. With his Reflect set, he either has Calm Mind or Protect, plus probably Dragon Pulse and Recover. He may Protect to scout, begin Calm Minding (although poison hampers that strategy), set up Light Screen if he has it (he has Lefties instead of Light Clay so doubtful), or switch. Whatever he does, he won't appreciate a Draco Meteor from Latios.

Start of turn 10
The foe's Latias used Protect!
The foe's Latias protected itself!
Latios used Draco Meteor!
The foe's Latias protected itself!

87%
78% (B. PSN)

Assuming that I am using Choice Specs (who doesn't?), he Protects to scout my move, Draco Meteor. This turn went in my favour, however. His Toxic damage is building up and his Reflect is gone. He is definitely not going to hang around now, and he'll either bring out Heatran or Metagross. Celebi can deal with the latter easily, and can take a hit from Heatran before responding with Earth Power.

Start of turn 11
Snodgrass called Latios back!
soappybubbles called Latias back!

55%
29%

Leftovers negates Stealth Rock for both of us and the pair meet again at similar levels of HP. Last time, he switched in Latios, whilst I brought in Scizor. This time, I'm staying in. Celebi is faster, so I'll use Recover to get health back up whilst he does whatever he wants. He may switch out, in which case I can respond and have a full health Celebi, or try and attack, which will be in vain.

Start of turn 12
The foe's Metagross used Bullet Punch!
Celebi lost 76 HP! (19% of its health)
Celebi used Recover!
Celebi regained health!

92%
35%

He tries to whittle down Celebi with his priority, but Celebi just Recovers it off and now has close to full health. He'll probably recognize that he's not going to take anything positive from this match-up, and will likely switch. Infernape and Heatran won't come out due to the possibility of Earth Power, and Suicune won't appreciate my STAB. Last time it was Latios, so I assume that he will do the same again and Thunder Wave him.

Start of turn 13
Celebi used Thunder Wave!
The foe's Latios is paralyzed! It may be unable to move!

98%
75% (PRLZ)

It all goes to plan and his Latios is crippled with Thunder Wave. I'm not quite sure what to do now, though. Switching nullifies the usefulness of having him at quarter speed, and nothing really wants to take a Draco Meteor. I'll just waste this turn away with a Recover to put Celebi at full health for whatever is coming next.

Start of turn 14
Celebi used Recover!
Celebi regained health!
The foe's Latios is paralyzed! It can't move!

100%
75% (PRLZ)

...yeah. Nothing more than a filler turn, it looks like. I go for the Leaf Storm here out of curiosity of how much it will do. In hindsight, this was pointless, but I went for it anyway, in case he switched to Suicune or something.

Start of turn 15
Celebi used Leaf Storm!
The foe's Latios lost 31% of its health!
Celebi's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
The foe's Latios used Trick!
The foe's Latios switched items with Celebi!
The foe's Latios obtained one Leftovers!
Celebi obtained one Choice Scarf!

100% (-2 Sp. Atk)
50% (PRLZ)

This turn makes me snap back into thinking properly. Although having a Scarf isn't quite as bad as first seemed for Celebi, especially as it has done its job by paralyzing the opponent's main attacker, it isn't good. I have no option but to switch here, so I bring in Scizor. He can outspeed a paralyzed non-Scarfed Latios with U-turn, so it seems like the best option.

Start of turn 16
Snodgrass called Celebi back!
soappybubbles called Latios back!
soappybubbles sent out Infernape!

75%
87%

This isn't good. I switch into Scizor, but he reads it and responds with Infernape. Obviously I can't stay in on this thing, with both of my STABs resisted and the fear of a fire attack too much for Scizor. Hopefully he'll use Flare Blitz, or perhaps a Fire Blast from MixApe. I pray to god that he doesn't have Nasty Plot, or predict my switch to Heatran and use Close Combat.

Start of turn 17
Snodgrass sent out Heatran!
The foe's Infernape used Nasty Plot!
The foe's Infernape's Sp. Att. sharply rose!

93%
87% (+2 Sp. Atk)

In the space of a few turns, soappybubbles has turned the tables on me. Whilst I was comfortably whittling his health away and out-predicting him, now, after one bad move, he has a +2 Infernape in on my Heatran. There's no point switching - anything that comes in to take the obvious Close Combat will be cleaned up by either another CC or a boosted Fire attack. Bye bye, Heatran. Unless he NPs again and I can Roar him out...

Start of turn 18
The foe's Infernape used Close Combat!
It's super effective!
Heatran lost 362 HP! (93% of its health)
Heatran fainted!
The foe's Infernape's Defense fell!
The foe's Infernape's Sp. Def. fell!

5-6

75%
77% (+2 Sp. Atk, -1 Def, -1 Sp. Def)

I may have lost Heatran, but that was inevitable. I bring in Rotom-W to revenge him, and being a Scarfer, I will definitely outspeed. Hydro Pump will OHKO for sure, as Infernape is frail, at -1, and weak to water attacks. It's goodnight for you, Infernape.

Start of turn 19
Rotom-W used Hydro Pump!
The attack of Rotom-W missed!
The foe's Infernape used Close Combat!
A critical hit!
Rotom-W lost 181 HP! (75% of its health)
Rotom-W fainted!
The foe's Infernape's Defense fell!
The foe's Infernape's Sp. Def. fell!

4-6

63%
67% (+2 Sp. Atk, -2 Def, -2 Sp. Def)

Ah, good old Hydro Pump. The smug monkey lives thanks to Hydro Pump's shaky accuracy and Infernape replies by KO'ing Rotom-W with his Close Combat. It was a critical hit too, just to rub it in my face. However, at -2, Scizor should be able to finish it off with Bullet Punch, which isn't unreliable at all. That Infernape may have taken down two of my Pokémon, but he will draw no more blood, unless he switches.

Start of turn 20
soappybubbles called Infernape back!
Scizor used Bullet Punch!
The foe's Latios lost 37% of its health!
The foe's Latios fainted!

4-5

63%
94%

Instead of leaving his Infernape to die, he realizes that it still has enough health to do some more damage later on, and therefore switches to his crippled Latios. Paralyzed and under half health, he was not in fighting condition and soappybubbles rightly sacrificed him to get a free switch for Heatran. Now, I have to switch, but thankfully he won't be able to set up in any way, unless he runs Substitute. Latios is my main threat to Heatran so I'll switch him in to threaten/kill with Surf.

Start of turn 21
Snodgrass sent out Latios!
The foe's Heatran used Substitute!
The foe's Heatran made a substitute!

75%
75% (Substitute)

So he does run Substitute after all. No worries though, as unless he runs Dragon Pulse, which I am now doubting due to Sub's presence, I can break his Sub without him significantly damaging me. I'll use Surf to break it obviously, as nothing else will do good damage, and he won't switch with a Sub up.

Start of turn 22
Latios used Surf!
It's super effective!
The foe's Heatran's substitute faded!
The foe's Heatran used Fire Blast!
The attack of the foe's Heatran missed!

65%
81%

Ha, payback for Rotom-W's miss earlier. Surf breaks his Substitute as expected, but his Fire Blast misses. What you don't see in the log is that my Latios is equipped with a Life Orb. I have since changed this, but the reasoning was to screw over Scizors that came in on Draco Meteor, enabling Terrakion to sweep. It also gives me the upper hand here. Surf will KO him, so he'll likely switch. Draco Meteor will KO everything on his team bar Heatran, who he will switch out, and Suicune.

Start of turn 23
soappybubbles called Heatran back!
It's super effective!
The foe's Latias lost 50% of its health!
The foe's Latias fainted!
Latios's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

4-4

55% (-2 Sp.Atk)
28%

My prediction worked a charm. He brings in his Latias to take the Surf, but instead it takes a super effective Draco Meteor and promptly faints. It is ironic how the two Latis in his team have died first, considering that they appear to be the core of the team. Anyway, Metagross comes in and it is simply fodder for Latios to finish off. Hidden Power Fire will do enough to take Metagross out, even at -2.

Start of turn 24
Latios used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Metagross lost 28% of its health!
The foe's Metagross fainted!
soappybubbles sent out Suicune!

4-3

45% (-2 Sp.Atk)
87%

As expected, his Metagross falls and he finally brings in the Pokémon I knew I'd have trouble with - Suicune. However, I do have a plan to deal with it. Through bombarding it with powerful attacks such as Leaf Storm, which is super effective, and Draco Meteor, it will go down. I'll switch in Celebi, use Leaf Storm, then switch back into Latios and finish him with Draco Meteor. My only worry is Latios switching into an Ice Beam.

Start of turn 25
Snodgrass called Latios back!
The foe's Suicune used Roar!
Latios was dragged out!

33%
93%

Well, there goes that plan. He uses Roar, trying to build up some residual damage on my Pokemon. Yet I am grateful that Latios is brought back out. Scizor and Terrakion would have trouble with Suicune, whereas Latios can probably even live an Ice Beam assuming no Special Attack investment. Time to see how much Draco Meteor does, expecting 50-75%.

Start of turn 26
The foe's Suicune lost 66% of its health!
The foe's Suicune used Scald!
Latios lost 39 HP! (12% of its health)

11% (-2 Sp.Atk)
33%

Could it possibly be any closer? Draco Meteor does 66%, and with Leftovers, Suicune now has 33%, exactly half of that. With Latios' special attack halved. Hopefully, Draco Meteor will finish it off, as otherwise, Scizor will have to come in to revenge, allowing a free sub for Heatran without Latios around to break it.

Start of turn 27
The foe's Suicune lost 33% of its health!
The foe's Suicune fainted!

4-2

1% (-4 Sp.Atk)
75%

Latios just about delivers, KO'ing Suicune with barely any overkill. However, he now has -4 Special Attack, and 1% HP. The obvious move would be to sacrifice him, but Heatran will probably set up a sub, which I don't want happening. Therefore, I use my fourth move, Recover. This will bring Latios back into the green, and because Surf usually OHKOs Heatran, -4 should still be enough to break subs later.

Start of turn 28
Latios used Recover!
Latios regained health!

51% (-4 Sp.Atk)
56% (Substitute)

Didn't see that coming, did you Heatran? Instead of Recovering again to get back up to full health, I will instead break his Sub with Surf. Why? Well, he's likely going to attack now so I can get him sub-less for Terrakion to clean up. Latios has done his job in this battle, and very effectively.

Start of turn 29
Latios used Surf!
It's super effective!
Latios lost 93 HP! (30% of its health)

21% (-4 Sp.Atk)
62%

As expected, Surf does enough to break his Substitute and I discover that Fire Blast does in the realm of 30%. That leaves me in KO range for him, so I'll Recover up again. Assuming he uses Fire Blast again, I'll have enough health left to take another one and put him in Scizor's KO range, or even the now Scarfed Celebi's.

Start of turn 30
Latios used Recover!
Latios regained health!
Latios lost 99 HP! (32% of its health)
Latios was burned!

25% (-4 Sp.Atk) (BRN)
68%

That's annoying. I'll just go for the Surf now, as even if he Subs, I can break it with one more Surf, or Scizor's Superpower. Burn and Life Orb will finish off Latios this turn, but he has kept me in this battle almost single-handedly.

Start of turn 31
Latios used Surf!
It's super effective!
The foe's Heatran lost 30% of its health!
The foe's Heatran restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
Latios fainted!

3-2

50%
49% (SUBSTITUTE)

Switching a Scizor into Heatran? Blasphemy! I could have brought in Celebi but Scizor seemed more fitting. He'll probably outspeed, but I know I'm going to win this match so even if Scizor faints, Celebi will take out his sub and then Terrakion will clean up.

Start of turn 32
The foe's Heatran used Earth Power!
Scizor lost 137 HP! (39% of its health)
Scizor used Superpower!
It's super effective!
Scizor's Attack fell!
Scizor's Defense fell!

11% (-1 Atk, -1 Def)
55%

He must have thought I was luring the Fire Blast to bring in Terrakion, so used Earth Power. That allows Scizor to survive and break his sub with Superpower. He'll Earth Power once more to finish off Scizor, and Terrakion will clean up, knowing that NP MixApe doesn't carry Mach Punch. gg, soappybubbles.

Start of turn 33
The foe's Heatran used Earth Power!
Scizor lost 38 HP! (11% of its health)
Scizor fainted!
Snodgrass sent out Terrakion!

2-2

93%
61%

In comes Terrakion...

Start of turn 34
Terrakion used Close Combat!
It's super effective!
The foe's Heatran lost 61% of its health!
The foe's Heatran fainted!
Terrakion's Defense fell!
Terrakion's Sp. Def. fell!
soappybubbles sent out Infernape!

2-1

83% (-1 Def, -1 Sp.Def)
55%

Down goes Heatran...

Start of turn 35
Terrakion used Close Combat!
A critical hit!
The foe's Infernape lost 55% of its health!
The foe's Infernape fainted!
Terrakion's Defense fell!
Terrakion's Sp. Def. fell!

2-0

73% (-2 Def, -2 Sp.Def)

And a crit to round it off!

Snodgrass won the battle!
soappybubbles: gg
Snodgrass: gg

PROPS

- Latios for taking down half of his team and opening the path for Terrakion to clean up.
- Scizor for stopping a fire type's sweep.
- Terrakion for picking up the pieces.
- soappybubbles for a gg.
- His Heatran for being a pain to take down.
- His Infernape for turning the tables quickly.

SLOPS

- Me for letting Celebi get Tricked.
- Rotom-W for missing Hydro Pump.
- Tiny bit of hax, but it balanced out.
- His Suicune and Latias for doing nothing.

MVP:

Well, thanks for reading, constructive criticism is welcome, and I hope you enjoyed it! I will back with another warstory when I find a suitable battle.

Turns 17-20 had me confused.

First of all, why did you send Heatran in on Infernape in turn 17? Since your Heatran is clearly not Scarfed, the only thing I can imagine is that you were trying to bluff a Scarf and scare 'Nape out or predict a Fire Blast/Flare Blitz from a Choiced 'Nape.

Secondly, it seems to me the safer option on turn 19 would be to Volt Switch with Rotom-W into Latios to absorb the Close Combat, and finish 'Nape off. But I guess you can't predict those misses, so not much to blame for there.

Other than that, it was a pretty well-played battle from both sides, and an entertaining warstory to read. Good job!

Your opponent should've won that one, but he made a shocking misplay on turn 32. Oh well. There was a bit of game changing hax in there (Hydro miss) , some people complain about it, I don't, it adds to the realism as hax is a game changing thing.
Commentary was informative and format was good =]
Thankyou for a good warstory.

Hey there =3

I think this is a great attempt for your second Warstory! The battle was interesting and there was good plays from both sides!

The only thing I was confused about is Turn 17 when you switched your Heatran in against his Infernape, but other than that, overall I think you did a good job. Keep up the good work!

I dont understand while everyone is confused about switching Heatran in on Nape.
The opponent using a fire move was a clear option there, and I think that its a decent move.
A very good warstory and your comments were very good.
Nice job :)

I actually really liked it; obviously the teams were a bit typical OU so not much creativity, but it was good nonetheless

I sent out Heatran because I had completely forgotten about Rotom and I need him to lower his defense for Scizor.

Yamata no Orochi

dreamenddischarger
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A decent warstory, and if you always want to know what your opponent has left, just refer back to the beginning of the match where they tell you their team. 7/10

Does your celebi have uturn? If so, you could have twaved the metagross in the beginning(or a latios switch in) and then uturn out, keeping your momentum and severely damaging your opponent's poke. Even if his gross stayed in for another meteor mash, you could tank the hit and switch into something better, and then recover later.
Of course, this only applies if you do have uturn, which i doubt you have because then you would have used it, judging the fact that you are such a good battler.

Easily one of the better battles I have seen in a bit, pretty good commentary too.

The formatting felt "off" for some reason, I prefer the opposing pokemon next too each other. Not a complaint, just a preference.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Solid warstory, improvements could be made in formatting and expanded commentary.

7/10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)