Anyone here play Warhammer Online?

I do. Just was wondering if there is any other WARheads in here.

Ah, almost forgot to add my stats:

Faction: Destruction
Race: Chaos
Name: Rockeign
Server: Wurtbad
Level: 7

.. I'm gonna be honest, I'm not expecting much, if any to say they play this game. It only came out a few days ago and MMOs cater to a pretty specific market(i.e: Not your average gamers). The main point of this post is to inform about how great this game is. Plus, if I get pleasantly surprised that someone does play, hey! More power to ya. ;D

Anyway, my WoW topic is still going strong and today marks it's one year anniversary! To mark this joyeous occasion, I'm gonna ask if anyone else got sick of it and moved on to it's competitor >;x! Don't get me wrong though, I'm not bashing the game, I mean play something for long enough and you're bound get bored, plus between you-me, I'm gonna head back to try out Lich King anyway. But back to the point, it's a pretty sweet game.

Remember this comic from way back when? Ah man, that comic is so spot on. On the surface, it looks like they snatched up WoW, taped some new stuff on top of it and called it a new game. I mean the HP bar is right there with your mana at the bottom with your face next to it(for whatever reason) just like WoW. The action bars is at the bottom, just like WoW. The chat log is where it was in WoW.. just like WoW. The mini map looks exactly like WoW's, the quest tracker appears in the same spot as WoW and the controls for the most part is mirrored. Heck, I told my fiance I bought a new game and I was gonna show her and when I told her to turn around and see it, she swore on a stack of bibles I just logged into WoW.

But like I said, that's all just on the surface..

For starters the game unlike WoW is heavily centered on PvP rather than WoW's PvE. So let's get that out the way. Also, when you're doing quests, where you have to go is in a MASSIVE red circle on your map and mini map. It's so obvious that I honestly haven't had to check a reference site for help on quests yet. They also have this really awesome thing in it called Public Quests. If WAR(Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning) did anything right, it's this. Mark my words this is gonna be in WoW eventually. Anyway, you go to an area and you'll see a quest in progress via some tracker that appears. Like let's say for instance--

Annoying Smog!
Koffings Defeated - 12/100

--And you just run around beating Koffings adding to that total. When that total is reached, the quest goes into a second phase. Maybe like, beat 10 Weezings or something like that. Then usually a boss appears who's pretty tough. Then after you beat the boss, everyone is awarded experience, renown(reputation used as currency) and a chance to loot the big chest that appears after each quest. These are all repeatable and give decent EXP. Speaking of repeatable, they reset after 3 minutes or so, so you got plenty of opportunities to get it done.

Adding to that point above, there's open parties. So let's say you show up for this Open Quest but you're a squishie. You can search for all the parties in the area and automatically join it if it's set as open(which is the default). I've joined a few like that and it's damn good.

Scenarios which are in essense the battlegrounds are pretty good too. I mean, I've played a few and they feel just like WoW's. Show up, kill guys, hope your team completes objectives, etc. but it really showcases what seperates this game from WoW. For instance, tanks in this game really tank in PvP. If you Taunt someone who is hitting someone else, you do 30% more damage to that target and he does 25% of his damage to the target he was hitting unless he hits you 3 times. And the fact that there is collision detection and they can't just run through your model to get the guy you're standing in front of just nails the fact home, "This isn't World of Arenacraft. Adapt or quit." Healers on the opposite end get credit for healing in exchange for the EXP and rep you get. And DPS is DPS. Eh.

But if you got what I was trying to say earlier, you gotta use your head when you play PvP here. If you're a DPS, you can't just run behind enemy lines, there's a big burly dude there to stop you. Plus if you get behind enemy lines and you're attacking a squishy, there's actually a way for the player to peel you off of him. If you're a tank, you gotta be mindful of your allies and enemies at the same time. And healers, well, you heal. I'm not gonna try and stretch this out further. ._.

Look, anyway check it out if you're a fan of WoW or MMOs in general.

P.S: For all the tl;dr'ers, this guy is a Warhammer developer and he can explain it much better than I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWvAznIRVLA

Been looking into it, probably won't buy into it for a week or so though - MMORPG releases being a clusterfuck and all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)