Article Request: "About the Tiers"

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I can give my initial analysis on NU.

First of all, there are 20 Uber Pokemon, 107 OU/BL Pokemon, 144 UU/NU Pokemon and 227 Limbo/NFE Pokemon. So there are 251 non-uber, non NFE Pokemon.

I'd first say to leave out all NFE Pokemon out of the Shoddybattle statistics, and concentrate only on those 251 OU/BL/UU/NU Pokemon.

I'll then say that the UU cutoff point is at roughly 99% of the cumulative frequency. I'm not exact on this percentage, but at 99% of the data, there would be the first 170 to 175 out of the 251 Pokemon. This would make OU have around 50 to 55 Pokemon, UU around 63 to 68 Pokemon and NU around 71 to 76 Pokemon. That would mean that any of the NU Pokemon has only a 1% chance of being seen in an OU battle.

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Disregard my last post completely.

I think that NU is to UU what UU is to OU. So the solution of choosing the NU list is surprisingly simple, although we cannot implement it yet: take statistics of UU play, and make a cut-off point for UU, as we did for OU play. As I said already, this is not yet implementable since we don't have statistics for UU play yet.

The reason I'm changing my idea to this is the following: the UU/NU Pokemon that are used in OU play are completely different to those used in UU play!

X-Act

The December statistics are out.

Using October, November and December's statistics, these Pokemon would be OU:

Abomasnow
Azelf
Blissey
Breloom
Bronzong
Celebi
Cresselia
Donphan
Dragonite
Dugtrio
Dusknoir
Electivire
Forretress
Garchomp
Gengar
Gliscor
Gyarados
Heatran
Heracross
Hippowdon
Infernape
Jirachi
Jolteon
Lucario
Machamp
Magnezone
Mamoswine
Metagross
Milotic
Ninjask
Porygon-Z
Roserade
Salamence
Scizor
Skarmory
Snorlax
Spiritomb
Starmie
Suicune
Swampert
Tentacruel
Togekiss
Tyranitar
Umbreon
Vaporeon
Weavile
Weezing
Yanmega
Zapdos
(49 Pokemon)

Using only December's statistics (as per Brain), the OU list would be the same, except excluding Abomasnow and including Crobat and Kingdra, so it would have 50 Pokemon. Kingdra was quite popular in December, and Abomasnow lost popularity. Crobat didn't make my list for only about 0.057% anyway, but I heard that people can use an illegal Crobat set on Shoddy, in which case that could be the reason why it's popular (is this still true, by the way?).

So which list are we going to use?

Cathy

Banned deucer.
You can use illegal movesets but they aren't allowed in rated matches. If people complain that they have had an illegal moveset used against them we usually ask the person using the illegal moveset to resign (and we can enforce this if required) but people -- perhaps surprisingly -- rarely complain. I imagine that most of the time people don't complain because they end up winning anyway, so they wouldn't gain anything from complaining.

Resposting this here for reference:

wow, we're pretty good. Pokemon that change with this tier list as opposed to our old one:

Jolteon BL --> OU (this was heavily debated anyways)
Mamoswine BL --> OU (wow, another heavily debated one)
Milotic BL --> OU (okay, a little unexpected because it can be 2HKO'd by most strong physical attacks.)
Ninjask BL --> OU (attack of the newbs, lol)
Rhyperior OU --> BL (why wasn't this changed a while ago?)
Roserade BL --> OU (yah, she's good)
Scizor BL --> OU (it's been gaining alot of popularity)
Slowbro OU --> BL (Pursuit weak sucks hard)
Snorlax BL --> OU (deserved)
Spiritomb BL --> OU (probably in large thanks to Obi)
Tangrowth OU --> BL (aww... I love this guy)
Tentacruel UU --> OU (inverse of Rhyperior)
Umbreon BL --> OU (... wierddd....)

That's all of the changes. We only over predicted Rhyperior, Slowbro, and Tangrowth. The rest is most likely non-Smogonites, but that's not say it's all not Smogonites. I wonder how this list compares to Competitors Smogon only Server and to Shoddy after Competitor.

X-Act

This is an update to the article about how the tiers are generated, especially for DP, according to the thread in the policy review forum:

HTML:
<h3>How the OU tier is constructed</h3>

<p>The OU tier contains, as already mentioned, the Pokemon that are used commonly in the standard metagame. The reader might be interested to know how the Pokemon in the OU tier are selected to make part of the tier.</p>

<p>For RB, GS and RS, the OU tier is formed from the experience of our community of which Pokemon are commonly used in Smogon's standard metagame tournaments. In tournaments, people use Pokemon that can compete at the highest level to allow them to win, so naturally they are an excellent means of determining the OU tier.</p>

<p>The OU tier for DP is constructed from the league statistics extracted from the current DP Pokemon battling medium. These statistics provide the number of times each Pokemon was used in the standard metagame league during each month, and those of the six months prior to the OU tier creation are utilised in particular to predict which Pokemon are going to be used in the near future. The Pokemon commonly used by expert players, who are highly-ranked in the league, receive heavier weighting than those used by less expert ones. Since, compared to the previous three generations, the DP standard metagame is still in its infancy, the OU tier for DP is continually updated on a three-month basis.</p>

<h3>The mathematical details of how the OU list is generated in DP</h3>

<p>Shoddybattle's weighted Pokemon usages lists of the six months prior to the OU update are first extracted from their website. The weighted usage of a Pokemon is the summation of the rankings of every player that used that Pokemon. For example, say both Blissey and Celebi are used three times during a day, and say that the players using Blissey had ranking 1650, 1360 and 1470, while those using Celebi had ranking 1520, 1360 and 1190. Their weighted usage for that day would be 4480 for Blissey and 4070 for Celebi. This would rank Blissey above Celebi in the weighted usage list, even though they were both used the same number of times during that day.</p>

<p>Each weighted usage of each month is then divided by the total of the weighted usages during that particular month, so that the probability of that particular Pokemon being used during that month is obtained. Suppose the probability for a particular Pokemon to be used in month m is <var>P_m</var>. These months are ordered in the following manner: if the list is being updated in July, then January, February, March, April, May and June correspond to months 1 to 6 in that order.</p>

<p>For each Pokemon, the predicted probability <var>P</var> is calculated as per the equation below, found using linear extrapolation techniques:</p>

<pre><var>P</var> = (50×<var>P_6</var> - 5×<var>P_5</var> - 4×<var>P_4</var> - 3×<var>P_3</var> - 2×<var>P_2</var> - <var>P_1</var>) ÷ 35</pre>

<p>These predicted probabilities are then sorted in descending order and made into a cumulative frequency, so that the 30th number, say, would be the probability that one of the top 30 used Pokemon is used in battle. Finally, the OU list is made to consist of all the Pokemon whose cumulative probability of being used does not exceed 0.75. This would mean that, whenever a Pokemon shows up in a battle for the first time, it has a 75% chance of being a member of the OU tier.</p>

<p>It can be shown that the probabilities of the usage of each Pokemon follow an exponential distribution. This means that the <var>n</var>th most used Pokemon will roughly have a <var>b</var> × exp(-<var>b</var>×<var>n</var>) probability of being used, where <var>b</var> is a constant that determines the shape of the exponential curve. The best value of <var>b</var> can be found using regression analysis on a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel. For Pokemon usages, it usually results in a value between 0.026 and 0.028.</p>

<p>In addition, the cumulative exponential distribution can be found using integration to be 1-exp(-<var>b</var>×<var>n</var>). This means that the probability that a Pokemon used in battle is among the first <var>n</var> most used Pokemon is 1-exp(-<var>b</var>×<var>n</var>). Thus, we can effectively solve the equation 1-exp(-<var>b</var>×<var>n</var>) = 0.75 to find the number of Pokemon that the OU tier will roughly contain in terms of <var>b</var>:</p>

<pre>
1 - exp(-<var>b</var> × <var>n</var>) = 0.75
    exp(-<var>b</var> × <var>n</var>) = 1 - 0.75 
    exp(-<var>b</var> × <var>n</var>) = 0.25
         -<var>b</var> × <var>n</var> = ln(0.25) 
         -<var>b</var> × <var>n</var> = -1.386
          <var>b</var> × <var>n</var> = 1.386
              <strong><var>n</var> = 1.386 ÷ <var>b</var></strong>
</pre>

<p>Assuming that <var>b</var> is between 0.026 and 0.028, the number of Pokemon in the OU tier would roughly contain between 1.386 ÷ 0.026 and 1.386 ÷ 0.028 Pokemon, or approximately 50 Pokemon.</p>

X-Act

It was HTMLised as far as I know, although its code was never checked for mistakes. It was also never put to the SCMS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)