Article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, uh, I'm Catacomb. I like to write.

Pokemon Showdown! Authority - Global And Room!

There are 2 kinds of PS! authority, Global authority and Room authority. There are a lot of differences between these 2, which I'll explain in a bit. But first, we have to understand how to get each type of authority. Room authority is gained by being a positive, on-topic, and generally helpful user in a specific room. Global authority is gained by being a great, and very helpful user in either Lobby or a variety of rooms.

There are 4 kinds of Room authority, Voice (+), Driver (%), Moderator (@), and Room Owner (#). The 4 kinds of authority all have different things that they can do, Voices can do !commands which post a /command to the chat ie. !data Slowbro. Voices can also talk during + chat. Drivers can do everything the aforementioned Voices can do but can also warn and mute misbehaving users. Moderators can as well as mute and warn, ban users. Moderators also have the authority to Voice users. Lastly, Room Owners can promote or demote a user to any rank from + to @. (Note: Room Owners can NOT promote Moderators to Room Owners).

In contrast, there are 5 kinds of global authority, Voice (+), Driver (%), Moderator (@), Leaders (&), and Administrators (~). The major difference between Global and Room authority is that Globals are their rank in all Public and Official rooms. Private rooms are exempt from Global authority. Voices do exactly the same things they do as Room authority, except in all rooms. (Voices can do !commands which post a /command to the chat ie. !data Slowbro. Voices can also talk during + chat.) Global Drivers can also lock a user in addition to being able to mute and warn users. Locking a user is a semi-permanent mute in all places, including PM, Battle Chats, and other rooms. The way to get unlocked is to appeal to the person who locked you (While locked, you can speak to people of (%) in higher, only people who are Globals though) or wait until the next restart in which you will get auto-restarted. Restarts usually happen every 2-4 days. Global Moderators can lock, mute, warn and ban. Banning is not a room ban while preformed by a Global Moderator, it bans you from the server. (Note: Being Banned in 1 server does not mean you are banned from other servers).(More Note: Global Moderators can NOT promote users to Global Voice.) Server bans also last until the next restart. Leaders can do everything the Moderators can do, but also being able to promote users from + to @. Similar to Room Owners, they can not promote users to Leaders. Finally, Admins can basically do anything they please, they can do everything the pre-mentioned authority can with the addition of promoting from + to ~.

Unspoken Rules Of Becoming Authority

• Help literally everyone, as it really makes you look good. And a bit obsessive.
  • Don't ask, like it lowers chances by 50%.
  • Make friends, not like Sugar Daddies, just people you can rely on. They'll also help you look good and it's good to have friends.
  • Behave well, don't get yourself locked/banned.
  • Don't, under any circumstances, make enemies.
  • If you don't bode my warnings, never fight in the chat. Like really, it's basically the end of your auth career.
  • Have fun at playing, take it seriously, but not too seriously.

I would've done an outline, but already had a rough draft finished. e.e Either way, here it is:

Outline

This article would be about PS auth, differences, tips to get auth, and really just guidelines so new users don't get confused. I feel it's a little short though, and would like some feedback if that were to be okay. This was really just a draft I wrote up in like 20 mins. .-. I'll add pictures if necessary and it would be really cool if someone could do art for this topic, I can't draw for shit.

Uhhh there's already an article that would probably cover this topic (how to get room auth, at least I covered part of it in one of my articles), and as far as global auth is concerned, I'd personally prefer it if it were a global staff that would explain those procedures (simply because they know a lot of the behind-the-scenes procedures on how to gain and lose status, things of that nature).

Scene Vacate?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Confirming. I already had submitted a very similar idea akin to this article but completely forgot about it until earlier this week. Now that it's the weekend, I will most definitely have time to write it. I can see shaymin's concern, as a global staff member has a different and broader perspective to what staff constitutes than a normal user (with some points I disagree with on your WIP).

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi, uh, I'm Catacomb. I like to write.

Pokemon Showdown! Authority - Global And Room!

There are 2 kinds of PS! authority, Global authority and Room authority. There are a lot of differences between these 2, which I'll explain in a bit. But first, we have to understand how to get each type of authority. Room authority is gained by being a positive, on-topic, and generally helpful user in a specific room. Global authority is gained by being a great, and very helpful user in either Lobby or a variety of rooms.

There are 4 kinds of Room authority, Voice (+), Driver (%), Moderator (@), and Room Owner (#). The 4 kinds of authority all have different things that they can do, Voices can do !commands which post a /command to the chat ie. !data Slowbro. Voices can also talk during + chat. Drivers can do everything the aforementioned Voices can do but can also warn and mute misbehaving users. Moderators can as well as mute and warn, ban users. Moderators also have the authority to Voice users. Lastly, Room Owners can promote or demote a user to any rank from + to @. (Note: Room Owners can NOT promote Moderators to Room Owners).

In contrast, there are 5 kinds of global authority, Voice (+), Driver (%), Moderator (@), Leaders (&), and Administrators (~). The major difference between Global and Room authority is that Globals are their rank in all Public and Official rooms. Private rooms are exempt from Global authority. Voices do exactly the same things they do as Room authority, except in all rooms. (Voices can do !commands which post a /command to the chat ie. !data Slowbro. Voices can also talk during + chat.) Global Drivers can also lock a user in addition to being able to mute and warn users. Locking a user is a semi-permanent mute in all places, including PM, Battle Chats, and other rooms. The way to get unlocked is to appeal to the person who locked you (While locked, you can speak to people of (%) in higher, only people who are Globals though) or wait until the next restart in which you will get auto-restarted. Restarts usually happen every 2-4 days. Global Moderators can lock, mute, warn and ban. Banning is not a room ban while preformed by a Global Moderator, it bans you from the server. (Note: Being Banned in 1 server does not mean you are banned from other servers).(More Note: Global Moderators can NOT promote users to Global Voice.) Server bans also last until the next restart. Leaders can do everything the Moderators can do, but also being able to promote users from + to @. Similar to Room Owners, they can not promote users to Leaders. Finally, Admins can basically do anything they please, they can do everything the pre-mentioned authority can with the addition of promoting from + to ~.

Unspoken Rules Of Becoming Authority

• Help literally everyone, as it really makes you look good. And a bit obsessive.
  • Don't ask, like it lowers chances by 50%.
  • Make friends, not like Sugar Daddies, just people you can rely on. They'll also help you look good and it's good to have friends.
  • Behave well, don't get yourself locked/banned.
  • Don't, under any circumstances, make enemies.
  • If you don't bode my warnings, never fight in the chat. Like really, it's basically the end of your auth career.
  • Have fun at playing, take it seriously, but not too seriously.
What the others posted above me is true, but I would like to say that I find your style of writing to be very good and I hope that the points made here do not deter you from contributing other ideas in the future.

Sorry Catacomb, we currently have 2 articles already covering this area. As Goddess Briyella said, your writing style is nice, so don't be put down on contributing in future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)