Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

Is the Everstone glitch in HG/SS? If so, the glitch only applies to parents from games of different languages, right?

I have a Pal Parked Adamant Ditto holding an Everstone breeding with a Croagunk hatched in SS. Out of the last 20-25 eggs, 2 have been Adamant. :(
I've tried this, and have had poor success with only about 12 eggs hatched, but someone else tried and said it worked the same. If it's the same as in D/P the parents need to be of the same country or the glitch will not work. You might have it mixed up.

I was just wondering the following, am I able to re-learn TM's at move relearners because I noticed in pokémon black they removed stealth rock as a TM and I want my Metagross to acces it when I want it to so I just wanted to know if it's possible to re-learn TM's on a pokémon or only the attacks that he learns during lvling. :toast:

I've tried this, and have had poor success with only about 12 eggs hatched, but someone else tried and said it worked the same. If it's the same as in D/P the parents need to be of the same country or the glitch will not work. You might have it mixed up.
I haven't really done much 4th gen breeding at all (lol) so I'm now starting to wonder if my Emerald game isn't USA region. The only way to confirm/deny would be to trade a Pokemon from that game to somebody to check via Pokesav, right?

Why exactly IS Electrivire noobish?

I always thought it was because his physical options are all have a BP of 75, but I've been running mix-vire with Band Staraptor and Sub Gyarados on my latest team and have gotten an INCREDIBLY large number of sweeps (WELL over 75% of the time, he's the one sweeping instead of my actual sweepers :P) Drawing out electric attacks is horrifyingly easy with Gyara and Staraptor, and mix helps make up for the low power of the elemental punches. And it's not like his attacks have poor coverage....
The only thing that rally wall him are Rotom-A (usually around 5HKO...mix so burn isn't a problem) and Blissey (I run EQ because I REALLY don't get lucky with accuracy or critical hits)

And I don't want to hear "just because" or I'll just re-post the question.

Electivire is capable of sweeping through teams and is a legitimate threat (most good RMTs list him as a medium threat at least); the problem is that he can't do anything that other pokemon cannot (like Lucario), so choosing him is seen as a noobish decision since its not the most competitive choice.

Granted this is from an experienced players perspective, most members that post "omg Electivire is still OU" in every statistics thread are bandwagoners, they try and bash Electivire to appear elite. I still like to flaunt that he's faster and stronger than Lucario though.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
I was just wondering the following, am I able to re-learn TM's at move relearners because I noticed in pokémon black they removed stealth rock as a TM and I want my Metagross to acces it when I want it to so I just wanted to know if it's possible to re-learn TM's on a pokémon or only the attacks that he learns during lvling. :toast:
No. They can only relearn moves which the pokemon would learn levelling up in the game that it is in. So TMs and egg moves cannot be relearned.

hi just want to ask if swampert with curse is useful in battle in a OU team and can i get any suggestion on pokemon that wil be a go pair with swampert thank you

Hello, Trick Room noob question:

How viable is a TR Sandstorm team? I was thinking a team with 'Zong, Slowking (TR set up, King for SpDef wall) and Hippowdon (Def wall), along with Scizor/TTar as a TR Sweeper. I'm not sure if this would limit my options too much, or whether it would be necessary to go with all Steel/SS immune pokes. Also, would having TTar and Hippo on the same team be a waste? I'm also stuck on what else to put on such a team, assuming such a team would even work.

Hello, Trick Room noob question:

How viable is a TR Sandstorm team? I was thinking a team with 'Zong, Slowking (TR set up, King for SpDef wall) and Hippowdon (Def wall), along with Scizor/TTar as a TR Sweeper. I'm not sure if this would limit my options too much, or whether it would be necessary to go with all Steel/SS immune pokes. Also, would having TTar and Hippo on the same team be a waste? I'm also stuck on what else to put on such a team, assuming such a team would even work.
how about Magnezone as strong special sweeper? he is slow and resists SS. he is also very useful to trap skarmory and other steel types.

Hmm, good call there Ascobol. I will take that into consideration, thanks.

Also, can someone who has played with TR before tell me if this concept would have any chance at all? I'mnot familiar with Trick Room teams so i don't know.

Also, can someone who has played with TR before tell me if this concept would have any chance at all? I'mnot familiar with Trick Room teams so i don't know.
Well, I use a Trick Room Hail team which fares pretty well. Sandstorm seems like a good match for Trick Room; Bronzong is immune, Hippowdon and Tyranitar get Sandstream, and slow rock Pokémon like Rhyperior would appreciate the Sp. Def boost.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm wondering, how exactly does one calculate the bulk of a pokemon? For example, one of the analyses says that Hippowdon has 10% more physical bulk than Skarmory, so I'm wondering the formula to calculate that?

hi just want to ask if swampert with curse is useful in battle in a OU team and can i get any suggestion on pokemon that wil be a go pair with swampert thank you
Curse Swampert is pretty mediocre, namely because he has a 4x weakness that he can't cover up while Cursing. If you did want to use him, you'll want to pair him with another Bulky Water to lure grass attacks, and possibly Tyranitar to remove Celebi should the opponent have one.

I'm wondering, how exactly does one calculate the bulk of a pokemon? For example, one of the analyses says that Hippowdon has 10% more physical bulk than Skarmory, so I'm wondering the formula to calculate that?
Defense stat x HP stat. Simple as that.

Athenodoros

If I were you I'd check these:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/trick_room_guide
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/sandstorm_teams

I thought they were really helpful. Some main things you notice, though, are that you need more Trick Room users and some pokemon can definitely be vulnerable to SS. I also don't know how you forgot Rhyperior, who is often the main reason start to think about SS or Trick Room teams.

Hi,

Posted this in the wrong place originally. I'm new here. I joined Smogon because I just got into competitive battling and am eager to learn more about it, particularly EV training which is clearly essential but blags my head at the moment.

I took a look around several other forums, but settled on this one because it seems the most "professional" (for want of a better term), well-organised and efficent. You guys run a nice place here.

I want to replace the Ninetales on my team. It's just not up to scratch. Obviously you guys will know its weaknesses and shortcomings already. Its stats are well-rounded but in the competitive battling scene I really would rather more clearly defined strengths and weaknesses. It's just kin of average really. Compared to my Milotic, Togekiss and Roserade it's just fail.

What replacement would you guys recommed to this n00b? Thanks in advance.

Well, I use a Trick Room Hail team which fares pretty well. Sandstorm seems like a good match for Trick Room; Bronzong is immune, Hippowdon and Tyranitar get Sandstream, and slow rock Pokémon like Rhyperior would appreciate the Sp. Def boost.
Why thanks for replying. Good to know weather and TR can go together. :)

If I were you I'd check these:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/trick_room_guide
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/sandstorm_teams

I thought they were really helpful. Some main things you notice, though, are that you need more Trick Room users and some pokemon can definitely be vulnerable to SS. I also don't know how you forgot Rhyperior, who is often the main reason start to think about SS or Trick Room teams.
Read both already, but they never mentioned anything about incorporating both together...

As for TR users, I have Zong, who is arguably the most sturdy TR user. Also, i have a Slowking to back it up (Special wall, because Hippo is my def wall), which also runs TR. Hippo can be my SR'er, as well as Sand Stream unit 1. Probably also throw in Slowbro as well, as Hippo can be spared as a lead, which means the only thing it hates is Explosion from Azelf and the like. That leaves TTar as Mixed Sweeper, and a Scizor as Priority/go to poke when TR is not in use.

And it's not that i forgot about Rhyperior, it's just that i never really liked the pokemon. It's just not for me, i guess. I will try it should there be something else falling short, though.

EDIT: Uhmm better question - IIRC, Sub numbers like to round down right? So if my HP when divided by 4 is 100.75, that would mean my Subs would have 100 HP and not 101, correct?

If you didn't understand that - Is 401 HP enough for me to create 101 HP Subs? Or what number should I be aiming for?

404 is good for making 101 HP subs, if you're using a Pinch berry, say like on SubPetaya Empoleon or something.

405 HP works if you're not using Pinch berries (they won't activate after the third Sub if you run 405 HP), because it allows you to sub up 4 times instead of 3 like 404 HP does.

Athenodoros

It means a number when life orb recoil is at a minimum. It is mainly relevant to the Little Cup, where you want a Hp. stat of 19, rather than 20, so that LO recoil is 1 not 2. It means a lot less in level 100 battling because the change in LO is minimal, compared to the 100% change.

And Treadshot, how can you not like Rhyperior? It's awesome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)