Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

Im currently playing HeartGold.. and I'm in Kanto now doing all those things.. and I only brought 3 Pokemon with me.. My Growlithe, Umbreon, and Hitmontop. Now.. I have a lot of common weaknesses.. and im wondering if i should do a few changes.. or additions to become more of a unit. Yes I know in-game teams dont matter, anything wins.. but it really does matter. So I can train and have a full team to play on Wi-Fi, etc.
Now.. what ideas are out there from you guys? And btw.. i can get any Pokemon out there.. so anything goes.

Maybe I can do a Growlithe[FIRE] Hitmontop[FIGHT] combo.. turning both into a Blaziken or Infernape. Or are they good on their own? Idk.. I'm having Pokemon Team Building block. [writers block variant lol]

@ Midreavus: I would use a DD-Tar, because I like it a lot and becuse I find it is useful to have a boosting sweeper on teams, just in case you can get a free turn. I don't know all about Stadium, but if you only have two on a team, you probably don't switch, in which case I would recommend against another choice user, at the very least.
Thanks. We actually have 3 on a team (pick 3 of your 6 after seeing opponent's team).

what kind of EV spread and nature is best for defensive metagross
i know he has a high base defense so for nature i did +spec. def and
-speed to help his special defense. is that a good idea?
for EVs i put 255 hp and 255 spec defense. im still training, hes a metang now and his special defense is way higher than defense.
Should I change his nature or EVs?

I asked a similar question myself on Gross a while ago, and then i found X-Act's Defense applet. Ran through Metagross's stats, says that for 50%/50% Bias (so you take both sides of attacks equally well), you should go with:

252HP/24Def/252SpDef, with a SpDef boosting nature.

That gives a total of 364 HP, 302 Def and 301 SpDef at Lv.100.

However, you might want to change some of the EV's if you want to counter a certain threat. Like, say, more Def (+Shuca) to help tank opposing Metagross's Earthquakes, or maybe more SpDef to help survive ScarfTran's Earth Power.

you said 252 hp and special defense AND 24 defense?
also, i hear the term 'legal hacks' alot. Is that refering to AR codes?
And what are illegal hacks?

Yep, 252 HP, 232 SpDef and 24 Def

My bad. Just a typo. Stick the other 2 EV's wherever, it doesn't really matter.

Also, Legal Hacks refers to people hacking the game to get pokemon, but making sure that the pokemon is still within the limits of the game itself. So basically, you can consider it almost like a shortcut for those of us who don't want to train them up in game, and just want to play with perfect pokemon. I won't go into detail how, but in practicality it's like having the Team Builder in Shoddy, built into the actual DS game.

Illegal hacks are just that, illegal. Spiritomb with Wonder Guard is illegal, for instance.

illegal hacks probably refer to hacks that change a pokemon's ability or moveset to something that the pokemon could not get without the use hacks
EX: Wonder Guard on Spiritomb or Flamethrower on Venusaur

I have HeartGold.. and I'm about to get the Pokeball from the PokeFan Guy.. and when I walk out this door.. Steven will unleash Latias. But see.. I want it shiny. How do I make this happen? Do i save before i go through the door.. and keep seeing if its shiny.. or what?

Answers only if you really know.

if a pokemon is illegal hacked is it easy to tell?
Do they always have abnormal abilities, moves, etc.
If I get a pokemon on GTS that looks completely normal is it still possible thats it's hacked?

Leoleon, there are legality checkers, but even those can be foiled (obviously; nothing in this world is totally foolproof). Heck, my whole team (as my sig states) is 'legally' hacked, and to the naked eye would never seem out of order.

However, if a pokemon seems too good to be true, it probably is. If you get something over the internet that has every move PP Maxed, the perfect nature, and was not RNG'd, then it possible that it was hacked. Really, the only way to know for sure is if you have the pokemon in hand, so you'll have to trade on the GTS first before you know if it's hacked.

Guys, on a baton Pass team, what's a good check against TTar? I find that a team of Metagross, Scizor, Ninjask, Vaporeon, Zapdos and Lucario won't do. I know Lucario can easily OHKO it with Close Combat, but often i don't want to reveal it yet or my chain hasn't gotten enough boosts yet to make sure Lucario can sweep. Any ideas?

Leoleon, there are legality checkers, but even those can be foiled (obviously; nothing in this world is totally foolproof). Heck, my whole team (as my sig states) is 'legally' hacked, and to the naked eye would never seem out of order.

However, if a pokemon seems too good to be true, it probably is. If you get something over the internet that has every move PP Maxed, the perfect nature, and was not RNG'd, then it possible that it was hacked. Really, the only way to know for sure is if you have the pokemon in hand, so you'll have to trade on the GTS first before you know if it's hacked.

Guys, on a baton Pass team, what's a good check against TTar? I find that a team of Metagross, Scizor, Ninjask, Vaporeon, Zapdos and Lucario won't do. I know Lucario can easily OHKO it with Close Combat, but often i don't want to reveal it yet or my chain hasn't gotten enough boosts yet to make sure Lucario can sweep. Any ideas?
Try a bulky fightint type like machamp although it may require taking out lucario, but at least you get less worry of fire punch on TTar

In the DPP RNG Manipulation guide, it says that you can get your SID if you have between 4-8 chained shinies. Could someone elaborate on this slightly?

If you have caught more than 8 is it impossible or do you just need between 4 and 8 different pokemon data?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, any 8 would do. Use the Chain to SID function in RNG Reporter. Enter their IVs/natures/etc. and it'll give you your SID. Also if you have 1 non-chained shiny you can also find it, which is easier because you don't have to enter as much data.

What is a good nature + EV spread for a wall/trap passing Umbreon with this moveset?

Mean Look
Baton Pass
Wish
Protect

I don't like the one on the Smogon strategy pokedex because I'm not worried about speed at all. I want Umbreon to attack second so that he can take the hit when he uses baton pass instead of the baton passed pokemon.

EDIT: Here are my options:

RELAXED UMBREON (+ DEF, - SPEE)
+ 252 HP EVs: 394
+ 0 HP EVs: 363
+ 252 DEF EVs: 350
+ 0 DEF EVs: 316
+ 252 SP. DEF EVs: 359
+ 0 SP. DEF EVs: 328

IMPISH UMBREON (+ DEF, - SP. ATK)
+ 252 DEF EVs: 350
+ 0 DEF EVs: 316
+ 252 SP. DEF EVs: 359
+ 0 SP. DEF EVs: 328

CAREFUL UMBREON (+ SP. DEF, - SP. ATK)
+ 252 DEF EVs: 319
+ 0 DEF EVs: 288
+ 252 SP. DEF EVs: 394
+0 SP. DEF EVs: 360

SASSY UMBREON (+SP. DEF, - SPEE)
+ 252 DEF EVs: 319
+ 0 DEF EVs: 288
+ 252 SP. DEF EVs: 394
+0 SP. DEF EVs: 360

There's no difference in Relaxed or Impish, and no difference in Careful or Sassy because I'll be slow and not use attack moves either way. So the real question is should I boost Sp. Def or Def? And how should the EV spread go for both of those options?

I have a question. FOr the past few weeks my Shoddy Battle Download was working. Now whenever I open it, it says it's unable to launch the application. What's wrong with it or my computer?

Just saw this in the Battle Me thread:

The Rules
*New - When requesting a UU battle, make sure to specify whether you want new UU (with all Borderline Pokemon unbanned) or traditional UU (with the BL Tier banned), for the time being!
Since when are BL allowed in UU play? And is this only for Wi-Fi or are BL allowed in Shoddy UU as well?

Since when are BL allowed in UU play? And is this only for Wi-Fi or are BL allowed in Shoddy UU as well?
That rule is ridiculously outdated. Back when UU testing first began (January 09?) all BL pokemon were moved to UU with no bans whatsoever. Because it was a brand new metagame, people still had teams for "old UU" and/or preferred it to the "new UU." So that rule required you to state which UU metagame you were looking to play. That rule is irrelevant today when all traces of old UU are practically nonexistant.

im trying to understand the power items.. because my latias needs some training. is the Bulbapedia description correct? If you wear the item.. you get 4 evs for that stat no matter what pokemon you face, after the battle?

and if i kill 4 gastly, does that equal 1 spatk point, or 4?

im trying to understand the power items.. because my latias needs some training. is the Bulbapedia description correct? If you wear the item.. you get 4 evs for that stat no matter what pokemon you face, after the battle?

It adds 4 evs to whatever you beat. So if you beat a Gastly, you get 5 evs in Sp Att. A Haunter would be 6 evs in Sp Att, and a Gengar would be 7 evs.

the power items give you 4 evs for the specific stat (like power bracer attack evs.)

for example: You run into a gible holding a power bracer. For killing that one gible, you get 4 attack evs cause of the bracer and 1 cause its a gible so therefore 5 attack evs were gained from killing that one gible. Say you run into a gabite, then you would get 6, 4 from power bracer and 2 from the gabite. If you happen to run into Garchomp then you would get 7 attack evs, 4 from bracer and 3 from garchomp so 7 evs were gained from the garchomp. If that didnt make sense im sure there are a million guides that would explain it better and more in depth on google.

Btw: is there anyone who can walk me through breeding cause i have read so many guides and none of them seem to make sense. Thanks.

So if i beat say.. a magikarp, i get 1speed, 4spatk?
Yes, if you're holding the Power Lens, it's 1 Speed ev and 4 Sp Att evs after a battle with one Magikarp. Two Magikarps: 2 Speed and 8 Sp Att, 3 Magikarps: 3 Speed and 12 Sp Att.

It adds 4 evs to Sp Att after every battle, regardless of what Pokemon you fought.

Quote from Bulbapedia:
Promotes Special Attack gain on level up, but halves Speed stat in battle. Adds 4 Special Attack EVs after each battle, regardless of the Pokémon fought. Its effect is doubled by Pokérus.
It's the same for all power items.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)