Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II - Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused on something if i use light screen it says that it doubles the special. So does that mean it will double both my special atk and defense?

You would have a higher-leveled chansey, unless it had 200+ happiness, in which case you would have a higher-leveled blissey. If you were talking about happiny, which evolves while holding an oval stone during the day, then you would have a higher-leveled happiny.

No I ment like if you would evolve into a new pokemon lik one of those youtube videos that say my salamane evolved it darkrai or something

I'm confused on something if i use light screen it says that it doubles the special. So does that mean it will double both my special atk and defense?
Light Screen only boosts your Special Defense.

You would have a higher-leveled chansey, unless it had 200+ happiness, in which case you would have a higher-leveled blissey. If you were talking about happiny, which evolves while holding an oval stone during the day, then you would have a higher-leveled happiny.
No I ment like if you would evolve into a new pokemon lik one of those youtube videos that say my salamane evolved it darkrai or something
No such thing will happen. The only pokemon affected by leveling up at night are Sneasel (holding a Razor Claw) and Eevee (at max happiness).

Has anyone cracked the game to find out the probability of hold item and secondary move effects in the battle subway? I remember probabilities in the battle tower in previous games always seeming rigged, but I find the battle subway to be absolutely ludicrous (just had quick claw activate against me 3 times in a row, opposing pokes thawing out on the first turn when frozen, and I'm frequently missing with 90% accuracy moves).

For my blastoise what should i put my last move for a staller/spinner

Bold nature
EV's i was thinking 148 hp 252 def 160 sp defense

Rapid spin
hydro pump
aqua ring

Has anyone cracked the game to find out the probability of hold item and secondary move effects in the battle subway? I remember probabilities in the battle tower in previous games always seeming rigged, but I find the battle subway to be absolutely ludicrous (just had quick claw activate against me 3 times in a row, opposing pokes thawing out on the first turn when frozen, and I'm frequently missing with 90% accuracy moves).
I'm pretty sure that hax always has an equal chance of missing, but I'm doubtful it's rigged.

For my blastoise what should i put my last move for a staller/spinner

Bold nature
EV's i was thinking 148 hp 252 def 160 sp defense

Rapid spin
hydro pump
aqua ring
You could run Protect to stall for Aqua Ring and Leftovers recovery (this would be especially useful with T-Spikes down), or simply run Toxic. You have Roar, Dragon Tail, Yawn, and Haze if you need phazing. For additional attacks you could run Ice Beam, and Scald is always a (weaker) option over Hydro Pump.

You could run Protect to stall for Aqua Ring and Leftovers recovery (this would be especially useful with T-Spikes down), or simply run Toxic. You have Roar, Dragon Tail, Yawn, and Haze if you need phazing. For additional attacks you could run Ice Beam, and Scald is always a (weaker) option over Hydro Pump.[/QUOTE]

I think i will go with protect

Alright, so I've been out of the loop competitive-wise since the 5th gen started, so I have a pretty simple (and probably highly debated topic), why is Blaziken as a species banned?

I mean, I understand that Speed Boost Blaziken has the ability to completely rip through teams because free speed+his attack+movepool=probably broken but...why is Blaziken entirely banned?

I guess my question is, why is Blaze Blaziken banned? (at least, he was last time I checked which was awhile ago, so excuse me if he has indeed been unbanned...which I would appreciate)

Blaziken has been my favorite pokemon since I started pokemon with a Torchic in gen 3, so I guess it just makes me kinda mad that the entire species was banned, I mean, did his movepool really get that great? Blaze Blaziken was UU last gen, what is so great about him this time around?

(Also, once again, excuse me if Blaze Blaziken isn't banned, but like I said, I haven't been around for awhile)

Summarized version: Is Blaze Blaziken banned as well, if so, why?

Alright, so I've been out of the loop competitive-wise since the 5th gen started, so I have a pretty simple (and probably highly debated topic), why is Blaziken as a species banned?

I mean, I understand that Speed Boost Blaziken has the ability to completely rip through teams because free speed+his attack+movepool=probably broken but...why is Blaziken entirely banned?

I guess my question is, why is Blaze Blaziken banned? (at least, he was last time I checked which was awhile ago, so excuse me if he has indeed been unbanned...which I would appreciate)

Blaziken has been my favorite pokemon since I started pokemon with a Torchic in gen 3, so I guess it just makes me kinda mad that the entire species was banned, I mean, did his movepool really get that great? Blaze Blaziken was UU last gen, what is so great about him this time around?

(Also, once again, excuse me if Blaze Blaziken isn't banned, but like I said, I haven't been around for awhile)

Summarized version: Is Blaze Blaziken banned as well, if so, why?
Yes, Blaze Blaziken is banned. It may seem silly at first for this to be the case, but the alternatives simply wouldn't make sense or would set bad precedent:

- Speed Boost in itself isn't a broken ability. None of the other holders of it, from Ninjask to Torchic, are broken in Standard Play. This differs from the one instance of an ability being banned (Moody), where everyone with the ability instantly became broken.
- Banning Speed Boost + Blaziken doesn't work because it would set the dangerous precedent that it is OK to ban parts of a Pokemon. It could just produce too many problems, as people tried to come up with ways to nerf their favorite legendaries into OU.

Additionally, Speed Boost wasn't the only Boost Blaziken got. It also received a greatly buffed Hi Jump Kick. It was the combination of Blaziken's Stats + Blaziken getting Speed Boost + Hi Jump Kick's Buff that led to the ban. Blaziken wouldn't be broken without all three of those things, but they are each a part of Blaziken at its best so Blaziken is thus banned.

The Part from here down can probably be disregarded.........................................................................................
Come to think of it, in a certain way it could be said that in the end it was decided that Speed Boost was the least broken part of Blaziken. Think about it, Combusken is basically Blaziken with worse stats and no Hi Jump Kick. Yes it is a different Pokemon, but it could be thought of as a Blaziken nerfed in those regards, and it is not banned. Speed Boost isn't a game-breaking ability. There was no reason to make an exception for Blaziken, so, like TropiOUs said, it was banned because its best set was broken.

What is the reasoning behind no special characters on the Smogon sever on PO?

I want to use the name Núñez with those accents, but I can't on Smogon.

Whats the best moveset for Ivysuar in batttle subway. imjust using him to take out water types
Why on earth are you trying to use Ivysaur in the Battle Subway? Couldn't you just use Venusaur instead? I know you want the Evolite boost, but I doubt it's a acceptable tradeoff for Venusaur's higher speed and offensive stats.

Yes, Blaze Blaziken is banned. It may seem silly at first for this to be the case, but the alternatives simply wouldn't make sense or would set bad precedent:

- Speed Boost in itself isn't a broken ability. None of the other holders of it, from Ninjask to Torchic, are broken in Standard Play. This differs from the one instance of an ability being banned (Moody), where everyone with the ability instantly became broken.
- Banning Speed Boost + Blaziken doesn't work because it would set the dangerous precedent that it is OK to ban parts of a Pokemon. It could just produce too many problems, as people tried to come up with ways to nerf their favorite legendaries into OU.

Additionally, Speed Boost wasn't the only Boost Blaziken got. It also received a greatly buffed Hi Jump Kick. It was the combination of Blaziken's Stats + Blaziken getting Speed Boost + Hi Jump Kick's Buff that led to the ban. Blaziken wouldn't be broken without all three of those things, but they are each a part of Blaziken at its best so Blaziken is thus banned.

The Part from here down can probably be disregarded.........................................................................................
Come to think of it, in a certain way it could be said that in the end it was decided that Speed Boost was the least broken part of Blaziken. Think about it, Combusken is basically Blaziken with worse stats and no Hi Jump Kick. Yes it is a different Pokemon, but it could be thought of as a Blaziken nerfed in those regards, and it is not banned. Speed Boost isn't a game-breaking ability. There was no reason to make an exception for Blaziken, so, like TropiOUs said, it was banned because its best set was broken.
That all sounds like it would make nice, sound sense, but what about drizzle and swift swim on the same team being banned? Isn't that almost like the same bad precedent? The HJK boost being part of it helps to make more sense though.

I guess it just kinda bums me out that I can't use my fave poke in competitive anymore. haha

That all sounds like it would make nice, sound sense, but what about drizzle and swift swim on the same team being banned? Isn't that almost like the same bad precedent? The HJK boost being part of it helps to make more sense though.

I guess it just kinda bums me out that I can't use my fave poke in competitive anymore. haha
Drizzle + Swift Swim was a unique case that we don't intend to replicate anytime soon. And keep in mind that you can still use Blaziken in Ubers (which is very competitive) to good effect. I recommend you give this a look:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102873

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)