Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer MK IV: Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
the best thing you're gonna get is Honko's calculator here as it shows the damages the attack can actually deal. Further, it's smogon-based
I know this one already. I am sure that there is an online damage calculator that shows chances of 2hkoes, 'cause i found it a few days before. But i made a format in my pc, and i don't remember the name...

Nasty Plot or Swords Dance Lucario; which is seen as more effective? Swords dance for the higher BP stab move?
SD: Hi Jump Kick, Ice Punch, ThunderPunch, Blaze Kick, Earthquake, Extremespeed, Bullet Punch, Zen Headbutt, Stone Edge, Shadow Claw and Crunch

NP: Aura Sphere, Vacuum Wave, Dragon Pulse, Dark Pulse, Shadow Ball, Psychic, Water Pulse, Flash Cannon (and Hidden Power)

Lucario is good on both sides but its Vacuum Wave is the strongest and Aura Sphere has pretty slim distribution, however it has more options for physical attacks

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nasty Plot or Swords Dance Lucario; which is seen as more effective? Swords dance for the higher BP stab move?
Swords Dance is generally seen as more effective because of its higher bp attacks overall. though it has higher special attack, the power difference between Close Combat (not hjk zacc lol) v aura sphere and extremespeed v vacuum wave makes a big difference when running lucario. it also has a much more expansive physical movepool than special

1-In BW's formulas, when do I need to floor the numbers up and when do I need to ceil the numbers up?
2-Am I right?
floor(floor(attack*floor(attacker's level*2/5+2)*move's power/defencer's defence/50*correct1+2)*correct2)

how do you get growth and substitute on espeon?

double team seems to be a very imbalance stat boost to pump how come nobody uses them?

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

double team seems to be a very imbalance stat boost to pump how come nobody uses them?
You don't; Espeon is not capable of learning Growth! Perhaps you are thinking of a different move?

Also, Evasion boosting moves are currently banned. Check out the OU Banlist to see what all is banned. Welcome to Smogon =)

I was breeding Naive Chimchars for a physically based MixApe (Overheat/CC/U-Turn/Stone-Edge); but just hatched one with HP Ice 69. With that in mind, is the old specially based MixApe (Fire Blast/CC/Grass Knot/HP Ice) worth considering?

I was breeding Naive Chimchars for a physically based MixApe (Overheat/CC/U-Turn/Stone-Edge); but just hatched one with HP Ice 69. With that in mind, is the old specially based MixApe (Fire Blast/CC/Grass Knot/HP Ice) worth considering?
While it might not be as relevant, just think of the uses of HP Ice in this metagame, and also you can continue breeding and throw this one in a box. But HP Ice allows it to hit Pokés like Dragonite where it would be hard-pressed to threaten without Stone Edge, and Pokés like Gliscor which take neutral damage from most of Infernape's arsenal

Volcarona can potentially set up on the special MixApe, but HP Ice provides a bit of a harder hit on Dragonite with 100% accuracy. If you plan on using it for wifi battles, you get to slam Garchomp too. I think although the physically-based set may be better in the current metagame, it's a slight difference and it'd be perfectly acceptable to try out the old standard.

I have an in-game question that I feel really stupid about: How the heck do you get Swords Dance on Shedinja? Neither it nor Nincada learn it by TM in any game or even through the 3rd Gen tutor... It's not even an Egg move!

The only time the Eeveelutions got Growth was from an event in Gen 2. Since you can't transfer Pokemon from Gen 2 to later generations, there's no way to get a Growth Espeon in BW. Calm Mind is a nice alternative, as it raises SpDef instead of Atk, and can be taught to Espeon by using TM04.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Volcarona can potentially set up on the special MixApe, but HP Ice provides a bit of a harder hit on Dragonite with 100% accuracy. If you plan on using it for wifi battles, you get to slam Garchomp too. I think although the physically-based set may be better in the current metagame, it's a slight difference and it'd be perfectly acceptable to try out the old standard.

I have an in-game question that I feel really stupid about: How the heck do you get Swords Dance on Shedinja? Neither it nor Nincada learn it by TM in any game or even through the 3rd Gen tutor... It's not even an Egg move!
You have to Evolve Nincada at the level Ninjask learns Swords Dance... This means that Ninjask learns it and then Shedinja is created with that moveset (after Nincada has evolved). Though I am not sure if this works in Gen 5. Gen 5 Shedinja starts with the moves that Nincada has before Evolution, so I believe it lost the ability to learn Swords Dance in 5th Gen (however, the previous method works in third and fourth gen).

Basically Game Freak changed when Shedinja is created from *after* Ninjask learnt it's move to *before*. Essentially prior to Gen 5 Shedinja could learn one move that was in Ninjask's level up movelist.

Though I am not sure if this works in Gen 5.
It doesn't, if you want Sword Dance Shedinja you have to evolve Nincada in third or fourth gen. In gen five Gamefreak changed it so Shedinja always just starts with Nincada's moves pre-evolution.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
No, bans work downwards. So Snow Warning being banned from UU means it is banned in all tiers below as well.

No, bans work downwards. So Snow Warning being banned from UU means it is banned in all tiers below as well.
Are you sure about this? I only ask because you appear to not have posted much and that suggests you might not be familiar with everything, so unless you have a source... Hang on I might be able to find it actually written down somewhere.

*a few minutes later*
It appears to me that there is no *specific* ban on Snow Warning in the tiers below RU, but this is not an issue because both Snover and Abomasnow are in the BL tier, which disqualifies them from any tiers other than OU and Uber anyway. So no, you can't use Snover or Abomasnow in RU or NU, not because Snow Warning is banned but because the Pokemon themselves are banned. However what will happen when Soundproof is released on them is yet to be seen. In any case, for the time being, Hail doesn't exist in RU and NU.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Well, The reasoning I was going on is that Snover and Abomasnow are banned to BL (Although I am positive I read it somewhere, that the bans work downwards)... So I would assume Snow Warning is too. Although yeah you are quite right, I was sure I read somewhere that bans work downwards... But on the Smogon banlist it does implicitly state Drought is banned but Snow Warning isn't... I guess this is because Vulpix isn't banned to BL like Abomasnow and Snover are.

Well, The reasoning I was going on is that Snover and Abomasnow are banned to BL (Although I am positive I read it somewhere, that the bans work downwards)... So I would assume Snow Warning is too. Although yeah you are quite right, I was sure I read somewhere that bans work downwards... But on the Smogon banlist it does implicitly state Drought is banned but Snow Warning isn't... I guess this is because Vulpix isn't banned to BL like Abomasnow and Snover are.
I've heard the bit about bans working downwards too, so I think it's true.

So I was playing a Sleep Talk Snorlax in game the other day and started spamming Rest Talk because I ran out of PP but I still couldn't attack. Apparently, while Sleep Talk won't REDUCE a move's PP it will not be able to use a move with NO PP. Is this a known mechanic? I couldn't find anything describing it.

I happened to catch a great Modest Feebas randomly in-game. I've currently got 252 SpA EVs on my (now evolved) Milotic, but I am uncertain where I should distribute the remaining 258. Again, this is for in-game purposes and I don't particularly want a random EV spread, either. I want some good bulk, and I plan on using the moves:
Surf, Ice Beam, Recover, filler
I also have a Skarmory to absorb physical attacks on my in-game team, so I'm not particularly concerned about absorbing physical attacks, but it wouldn't do that much harm... I'm thinking some split between HP and SpD, maybe some Defense. What do you think?

For the most overall bulk, you should max out HP and then you can decide if you want to put the last 4 in Def or SpDef. I wouldn't suggest maxing out SpDef to take Special hits better, as you're still going to want Milotic to take physical Fire attacks from Pokmeon like Darmanitan.

You could also max out Speed and put the last 4 in HP to make a more offensive Milotic, but it's generally better as a wall/tank.

are B2 and W2 going to be sixth gen? i just picked up beating my black, i'm at the 3rd gym (lol) but i don't want to continue if all the action is going to be in an entirely new gen. i assume they are going to be same gen because there are still unreleased dw abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)