Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

roman

Banned deucer.
As in like how to check other types, like how Steel beats Flying
hello!

generally there's not a real "x type beats y type" chart that's going to be completely reliable or set in stone. for example, it's generally accepted that normal (w/ cb diggersby and pup encore mlop) has the matchup advantage against poison, but techs like baneful bunker toxapex help flip the matchup. similarly, normal-type teams are going to have little to no trouble against swift swim teams, but struggle heavily against balanced water teams carrying tspikes. things like type matchup heavily depend on team composition, so there's really not a surefire way to know if type x has adv against type y.

of course there are matchups like rock v fairy and steel v grass that have a clear winner from team preview, but it's not realistic to have such a chart with so many different factors like techs, team type, etc influencing matchups

if you have any other questions feel free to pm me

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
As in like how to check other types, like how Steel beats Flying
scp used to have a website containing these kinds of stats for each month; unfortunately when he left nobody maintained it, and as such there isn't really any hard data on which types beat which others to what extent. I may restart this project at some point in the future, however.

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What would be a good set for Heatran on Mono Fire? The team I'm building is based on Buginium Z Volcarona and Dragon Dance Mega Charizard X.
You can run an offensive Trapper set for Heatran with Air Balloon as its item. That set allows it to remove walls by trapping with magma storm and using taunt to deter recovery for walls. I have posted the set below, hope this helps!
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Flash Cannon

Clefable @ leftovers
Trait: magic guard/unaware
Ev's: 252 special defence 252 HP
Nature: calm

Moonblast
Calm mind
Stored power
Flamethrower

OR...

Azumarill @ life orb
Trait: huge power
Ev's: 252 attack 252 HP
nature: adamant

Aqua jet
Ice punch
Waterfall
Belly drum

Hi, welcome to Smogon! You can ask this kind of question in the Monotype Chatromm on Pokemon Showdown for faster answers to questions like this- as they don’t belong as threads here. Another place you can ask is the Simple Questions Simple Answers Thread near the top of the page.

On to the answer- You should typically run both. They have totally different roles, Clefable as a Stealth Rock Setter and Azumarill as a late-game cleaner.

This is the typical set for Clefable, bulky stealth rock setter.

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

And add one of these three Azumarill Sets. The first is to recover after being hit so you can belly drum, the second to give you 76%HP on Azu, and the third to give a powerful wall breaker.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Hi, welcome to Smogon! You can ask this kind of question in the Monotype Chatromm on Pokemon Showdown for faster answers to questions like this- as they don’t belong as threads here. Another place you can ask is the Simple Questions Simple Answers Thread near the top of the page.

On to the answer- You should typically run both. They have totally different roles, Clefable as a Stealth Rock Setter and Azumarill as a late-game cleaner.

This is the typical set for Clefable, bulky stealth rock setter.

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

And add one of these three Azumarill Sets. The first is to recover after being hit so you can belly drum, the second to give you 76%HP on Azu, and the third to give a powerful wall breaker.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
Thanks

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A question best answered by DoW, Is there any way for DoWbot to allow certain moves in ot's for mons that naturally learn them? Asking for someone that's not on forum, but can't use Boomburst Swellow or ExtremeSpeed Dragonite in Monotype STABmons tours, despite naturally learning these moves anyways.

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A question best answered by DoW, Is there any way for DoWbot to allow certain moves in ot's for mons that naturally learn them? Asking for someone that's not on forum, but can't use Boomburst Swellow or ExtremeSpeed Dragonite in Monotype STABmons tours, despite naturally learning these moves anyways.
Theoretically it would be programmable for the bot to be able to do however it would introduce an additional problem. Since DoWbot is external to the Pokemon Showdown server, bans are handled separately. For example, when we host a monothreat tour, DoWbot manually bans players who bring the wrong type. However, when people verify their team, it allows it regardless of what type they're using. This same problem would arise for if we used DoWbot to individually ban those moves rather than having it in the tour banlist. Also, this would be a pretty significant thing to code for something so minor, we haven't bothered to ask DoW to do so.

The better means of handling this would be to have the Showdown programmers implement a code to ban moves on non-natural users using the /tour rules function, but since it is so minor it is extremely low priority and likely wouldn't be implemented.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Theoretically it's possible - having the bot join every game and dq mons that use the moves that isn't in a given list of mons that would know them anyway. This is how TheLordMonotyke policed banned megas before PS! allowed banning certain items in tours.
However, I won't be doing this, for a number of reasons:
  • It would be a whole bunch of work, and I'm working on like 43 projects right now.
  • It would clog up the bot with a whole bunch of data it would have to know, and a whole bunch of code just for this thing.
  • That code would need updating every time something was changed in mono stabmons.
  • It would make the tours more confusing for users, and lead to dqs. I ran a monothreat tour today, and I'd guess 1/3 of the people who joined were dq'd. People would just look at the tour's ruleset, make a team following that, then get dq'd, and then clog up the room asking why they were dq'd.
  • The bot already dislikes monothreat tours, because sometimes it fails to properly delete the internal data structure for each battle it joins fsr; this would only make that problem worse.
Theoretically you could code something up on PS! itself that would allow this kind of move ban in tours. But that's not gonna happen either, because it would still be a whole bunch of work that would only affect this one edge case, and nobody cares enough about it to do that.

Is there a resource that shows you something about how good each type is?

An example could be a list that determines how often a type wins in general.
Or recent matchup tables would also work since you also get an idea about how good a specific type is.
Or even data about which types are used most would work a bit, since i assume the good types are used more than the bad types.

I already have searched the smogon.com/stats resource, but that does not give me answers in comparing types since almost every data is per type already, except for the list of most used pokemons but it is too difficult to say something about specific types compared to eachother from there.

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
There isn’t really anything defined, due to constant shifts in metagame trends; also the fact that you’ll rarely ever see certain types/matchups like Rock and Ghost at high level play makes it so having solid data on each individual matchup is hard. You can use this link as a reference however, to see how each type individually fares in the meta through a TL’s eyes. It’s a bit outdated, though much hasn’t changed for the list to have any significant impact: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-monotype-metagame-discussion.3587204/post-7486266

On MonoPoison would it be better to use physically or specially defensive Toxapex, or a mixed spread? My team is using the core of Venusaur-M, Toxapex and Muk-A.

On MonoPoison would it be better to use physically or specially defensive Toxapex, or a mixed spread? My team is using the core of Venusaur-M, Toxapex and Muk-A.
Traditionally, you want physically defensive so that you can take Diggersby Return. With Baneful Bunker, you are assuredly not going to take an Earthquake, so you want to be able to Recover off that Return damage.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 172-204 (56.5 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Toxapex: 225-265 (74 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

For this purpose, even a mixed spread wouldn't be as effective. Due to Alolan Muk having such great special bulk and Mega Venusaur's amazing typing, you really don't need special bulk on Toxapex. The only reason you would is to be take less damage from this:

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 112-132 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

It's up to you how much you're willing to move into Special Defense, but you should primarily be physically defensive.

My question is plain and simple, what are ground threats/ killers?

I play monotype locally in my city in our league. It's pretty unique because we have the option to use a wild card (a pokemon that doesn't share the type). We have this exemption solely due we know the type each other uses and thus we can prep beforehand.

When I prep I can full counter a type but I fail to predict the wild cards so maybe if I can get an idea beforehand it would greatly help me. Just recently I lost the Steel match-up because of Scarf Bulu... :(

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
My question is plain and simple, what are ground threats/ killers?

I play monotype locally in my city in our league. It's pretty unique because we have the option to use a wild card (a pokemon that doesn't share the type). We have this exemption solely due we know the type each other uses and thus we can prep beforehand.

When I prep I can full counter a type but I fail to predict the wild cards so maybe if I can get an idea beforehand it would greatly help me. Just recently I lost the Steel match-up because of Scarf Bulu... :(
Ground's weaknesses would be grass / water type pokemons and celesteela.

Celesteela is a huge issue that it can nearly 6-0 ground matchups single handedly.
Water type attacks can be blocked by seismitoad and gastrodon.

Unfortunately there's no grass immunity so your best defense is offense. Hit it hard with sludgewave seismitoad and landorus

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)