Data Attack Pair Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
The only type we've ever seen removed from a Pokemon was filler Normal-type. Pray for Steel/Fairy Jirachi as much as you want, but it's reasonable enough to assume it's still Steel/Psychic.
If you put a pokemon on the GTS and ask for a jirachi, then go to the game sync website and look in its GTS section, it will show that jirachi is still steel/psychic.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Something that catches my eye is how low Dragon/Fire has sunk on the "most neutral" list. It used to be resisted only by Heatran in gen 5, and even then the premier users of the combo, Reshiram and Kyurem-W, had Turboblaze to negate Heatran's Flash Fire. Now it's not even #100! Granted that the only meaningful pokemon that resist the combo is besides Heatran is Azumarill, but it has enough of a presence to make it noteworthy.

am definitely looking forward to putting some good theory to practice :) gardevoir is definable going to be on my core and i can finally find a good partner for her ^_^

Does Granbull get Wild Charge, at least in Gen V? Because if it does, there's a viable user of Fairy (Play Rough) + Ground (EQ), which is resisted by only Skarmory, who is weak to Wild Charge. "PlayQuake" isn't exactly going to be the next big move combo (in fact, it's probably going to be easier to find a special version with Earth Power + Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam + T-bolt) given how few things get Play Rough, but it could be viable on Granbull.

I was looking through type combos myself earlier and have to say I think my current favourite is normal/ghost.

Theoretically it has several combinations it is bad against (dark/steel, dark/rock and ghost/normal) but there are only actually 2 pokemon that have those typings. (3 with nfe). Those two being bisharp and tyranitar.

The reason I like this one so much is because nearly everything learns at least one decent power normal type move like return which has a rather high base power with no drawback.

Sure it would be nice to get super effective hits but not getting resisted is obviously nice on some pokemon and they might not have any other choices for that (ghost/fighting is more difficult to get your hands on I find.)

Does Granbull get Wild Charge, at least in Gen V? Because if it does, there's a viable user of Fairy (Play Rough) + Ground (EQ), which is resisted by only Skarmory, who is weak to Wild Charge. "PlayQuake" isn't exactly going to be the next big move combo (in fact, it's probably going to be easier to find a special version with Earth Power + Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam + T-bolt) given how few things get Play Rough, but it could be viable on Granbull.
Indeed it does, in both gens. But while Granbull may have its uses thanks to its new Fairy-type, I'm not sure it's the Pokemon most concerned about neutral coverage, as that's a bigger deal for sweepers.

Since it isn't mentioned in this thread, absol learns Play Rough as an egg move (absol's research thread is my source), so (mega) Absol with a moveset of SD/ Night Slash/ Play Rough/ Sucker Punch is only resisted by 2 pokemon: (mega) mawile and klefki.
Cool thing is Mega Absol has (according to serebii) 115 base speed and special attack, so you can drop sucker punch for fire blast to have SE coverage on those two, plus with magic guard klefki has no business on the disaster mon. The only shame is that even though it is the DISASTER pokemon, it can't learn Eearthquake.

For Fairy/Ground combo-ing. Donphan gets Play Rough as an egg move now. Might give him a temporary new niche until he can Stealth Rocks again. UU Bulky Sweeper?

Since it isn't mentioned in this thread, absol learns Play Rough as an egg move (absol's research thread is my source), so (mega) Absol with a moveset of SD/ Night Slash/ Play Rough/ Sucker Punch is only resisted by 2 pokemon: (mega) mawile and klefki.
Cool thing is Mega Absol has (according to serebii) 115 base speed and special attack, so you can drop sucker punch for fire blast to have SE coverage on those two, plus with magic guard klefki has no business on the disaster mon. The only shame is that even though it is the DISASTER pokemon, it can't learn Eearthquake.
Actually, since steel doesn't resist dark or ghost anymore, it has no problems.

EDIT: Lol i'm a derp, what did I just say

Mhhh so Ghost/Fighting has near perfect coverage. Might be a reason why gengar is so popular...
Ironically, Chesnaught is probably one of the most effective counters to Gengar, and you wouldn't tell by looking at type lists. Thanks to that ability of his, it is straight immune to Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and Sludge Bomb, and resists Thunderbolt. It also serves as a nice physically defensive tank or bulky sweeper, so it makes him a lot more viable to fit into a balanced core.

Ironically, Chesnaught is probably one of the most effective counters to Gengar, and you wouldn't tell by looking at type lists. Thanks to that ability of his, it is straight immune to Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and Sludge Bomb, and resists Thunderbolt. It also serves as a nice physically defensive tank or bulky sweeper, so it makes him a lot more viable to fit into a balanced core.
Gengar can run Dazzling Gleam, which is SE to Chesnaught.

Question: What's the maximum number of types you could hit SE with four moves?
My best guess:

Ground (Fire, Electric, Poison, Rock, Steel)
Freeze-Dry (Water, Grass, Ground, Flying, Dragon)
Fighting (Normal, Ice, Dark)
Flying (Bug, Fighting) or Ghost/Dark (Ghost, Psychic)

15/18 mono types hit super-effectively. I'm sure there's a better combination, though.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Freeze Dry has the best SE coverage in the game, being SE against 5 types and resisted by 3 so that's an automatic pick.
The types that resist it are ice, fire and steel, 2 of them being weak to ground, another type that has 5 SE match-ups.
With Freeze Dry + Ground the types that are hit for SE damage are 10 (fire, electric, poison, steel, rock, water, grass, dragon, flying and ground).
The next type with the most SE match-ups is fighting (normal, steel, rock, ice and dark). Two of them were already covered, so we reach 13 SE match-ups with this.
The types that can add more than a new SE match-up are dark, ghost, flying, adding 2 each.

So in short Kriptini's post is correct. If we want to nitpick we could use this http://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage to see which type adds more relevant coverage. Flying seems to be the best choice, hitting more pokemon for SE damage, followed by ghost and then dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)