Balancing The Power Within

Hello all,
This is Azeem40 with another team. Since my last team didn't turn out so well due to a lot of problems, I am back with another team. Seven Deadly Sins was the biggest help in making this team.

Team Building Process
First, I started with Hydreigon, one of the most underrated threats in the game.

Now, what does a dragon like best? Another dragon to wreak havoc with and clean up the mess he makes. Latios seemed like a good choice, as it also keeps Thundurus-T, Breloom, and Keldeo from checking Hydreigon.

Latios and Hydreigon are both weak to ice and dragon, so I needed a Pokemon that could resist both types and fight back against those types without too much trouble. So Scizor came in to the picture.

I still don't have a rock resist and one fighting resist, and since rock is a very devastating type, I needed a pokemon that can handle that. Landorus-T came to mind (I can't find a working image of Landorus-T).

Now that I had a "resist" to rock and a resist to fighting, and a SR setter in Landorus-T, I realized that Tornadus-T does a lot of damage to most of my team, and without a flying resist, I was done for. Now I needed to patch that up. Jirachi is a good answer to him, so in he came.

I have 2 U-Turning Pokemon, so I decided why not add a Volt Switch Pokemon like Rotom-W? It adds an additional Ice and Water resist.

However, after playing with the team for a while, Hydreigon wasn't really forcing the amount of switches I was hoping for. I also lacked a good Scarfer to deal with boosting Pokemon. Rotom-W wasn't really doing much for my team. I decided to replace Rotom-W with ScarfKion and Hydreigon with an old classic hardly ever seen in BW2 OU, TyraniBoah.

Now, onto the specifics:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 176 SpA / 52 Atk / 28 Spe
Nature: Quiet
Moves:
Substitute
Focus Punch
Dark Pulse
Thunderbolt

Meet TyraniBoah, the lost Pokemon in BW2. You hardly see him anymore. I have decided to give him a try, though, and so far he has done wonders. Substitute and Focus Punch are the crux of the set, allowing me to fire off powerful Focus Punches. I had the choice between two STABs of choice, Crunch and Dark Pulse, but I settled with Dark Pulse to hit specially weak Pokemon that otherwise wall me. Thunderbolt finds its way useful to deal with Bulky Water Pokemon. I used the EVs from DPPt's analysis on TyraniBoah, since that is when he was more popular. 252 HP gives him better overall bulk while 176 SpA allows him to 2HKO Skarmory with T-Bolt.

Latios @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Timid
Moves:
Calm Mind
Surf
Dragon Pulse
Hidden Power [Fire]

Meet CMtios, a fearsome setup sweeper. Calm Mind allows him to boost his amazing Special Attack and Special Defense to new heights. Dragon Pulse is staple on this set, as Draco Meteor really negates the SpA boost(s) he acquires. After a few Calm Minds, even bulky Pokemon take huge damage. Surf allows it to 2HKO Tyranitar after SR damage or 2HKO after a Calm Mind boost on the switch in. Hidden Power Fire severely cripples Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Pursuit
U-Turn

He is a top threat for a reason. Just look at his Atk stat! U-Turn is the star attraction on Scizor, as it allows him to gain precious momentum against the opposing team and scout for their switch ins. Bullet Punch allows him to revenge kill many threats. Superpower is immensely powerful, allowing him to OHKO Heatran and Ferrothorn. Pursuit checkmates Gengar, who can outspeed and KO Latios and Hydreigon. It also punishes fleeing Psychic types like other Latios, Latias, Alakazam, etc.

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 244 Def / 64 Atk
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
U-Turn

Meet Landorus-T, an underused OU Therian. He is usually pushed aside for his brothers, but he really helps out my team by "resisting" rock and Fighting, while giving me some needed Stealth Rock support. Earthquake is STAB and hurts a lot of Pokemon for a lot of damage and OHKOes Terrakion. Stone Edge helps against Dragonite after Multiscale is broken. EVs helps sponge a +2 Terrakion Stone Edge. U-Turn allows momentum grabbing.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Nature: Calm
Moves:
Body Slam
Iron Head
Wish
Fire Punch

Meet the Slam Flinching cutie Jirachi, an annoyance to all who meet her. Body Slam and Iron Head form the crux of this set, as it allows me to heavily annoy the opposing team and wear them down at the same time. Wish allows healing for itself and its teammates, such as Landorus-T. Fire Punch hits Steel types who otherwise wall my set.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified (although I've never had use for it lol)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
Close Combat
Stone Edge
X-Scissor
Rock Slide

Thanks to suggestion by ShootinStarmie, I have replace Rotom-W with a Revenge Killer who goes by the name Terrakion. With a Choice Scarf equipped, it can outspeed Scarf Salamence and +1 Volcarona and OHKO the latter even without Stealth Rock. SR is needed to OHKO Salamence with Stone Edge, though. Close Combat is STAB of choice. X-Scissor allows me to dent Psychic types such as Reuniclus, Espeon, etc. Rock Slide is there when I don't want to be locked into Stone Edge, such as cleaning up late-game. I chose a Jolly nature to outspeed Jolly Salamence and Timid Volcarona.

Conclusion

So here is my team. PLEASE critique it as much as possible, as I am still a beginner to competitive battling. This was made with the help of Seven Deadly Sins. Thanks.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi FireRage, pretty cool weatherless team !

This team combines a fairly classic and efficient defensive core made of Jirachi Rotom-W and Landorus-T with a powerful offensive core of Scizor Latios and Hydreigon.
All in all it's a solid idea.

But the flaw in this type of team is that, most of the time, the offensive core fails to open a hole against some teams, and the defensive core fails to cover all the threats. It's something pretty logical, and I'm here to lower as much as I can the number of weaknesses in here !

Here are the weaknesses I see :

- First, you offensive core is slow. This means that your pokemons, while powerful, will be revenged easily, and can't deal with the scarfed threats. This means also, that once your defensive core is weakened enough a scarfer (like a Keldeo spamming SecretSwords/HydroPump, or a Terrakion spamming Stone Edge/CC) will totally destroy one of your pokemon each time he comes in.
You can deal with these threats early on, but in the late game, where pokemons are weakened, nobody in your team can stop them from finishing everybody. Scizor got Bullet Punch, however Steel has a petty poor coverage.
As a last example, a Thundurus-T with Scarf or Agility will be a massiv issue. Your Rotom-W and your Jirachi can't really take a Thunder, and the rest of your team is seriously crippled by any of his moves. Overrall there is no way for you to revenge him. Sadly, a choice locked Scizor is usually an easy set-up for Thundurus-T.

- Another issue, is Heatran, in a Sun Team.
An offensive Heatran can easily come on your Latias under the Sun, or on your Scizor, or play around Hydreigon Superpower, and threaten everybody in your team. Rotom-W can decently take his hits, but as it stands, your Rotom-W's version really takes a ton from a Fire Blast under Sun (~75%) and I'm not even talking about the Solar Beam version.
This leads me to another issue, Venusaur. While both Latios and and Hydreigon take his hits decently in theory, none of them can stand two Sludge Waves, meaning that at +2 Venusaur, kills everybody. He could set-up pretty easily on Rotom-W for instance, or again on a choiced Scizor.

To me, Scizor is not a pokemon that is shining in your team, because your team is already really slow. As a result, he opens too many holes for your enemy. However, the priority is pretty much needed, so instead,

Here are my changes :

First I would change Scizor for Keldeo :

This change should help you a lot against Rain teams, and to break throught Heatran. Many bulky waters wall him, but your team got many weapons against them already. Your Dragons can switch in, Rotom-W can take a hit and grab the momentum with Volt-Switch, Jirachi can come and drop some Wishes etc.
Keldeo is a fantastic scarf user in many weatherless teams, since he performs great against most of the Sand and Rain offense teams.

The second change is Latias over Latios :

Your Latios lacks some bulk to take what he should be taking. Latias can come on a Thundurus-T and take a ridiculous 30% from Thunder. On this other hand, Latios is 2HKO'd after Rocks.
Moreover, you have a real solution to Venusaur now in Latias.
Finally, Latias can set-up easily on most of the threats that I mentionned, while Latios was lacking some extra bulk.

Some other changes :

- I don't like Fire Punch on Wish Jirachi, okay you can be walled by Steel, but Jirachi is not supposed to sweep Steel. The power of this move is really low (especially with the ever present Rain), and the utility you get from this move doesn't worth the cost of the slot.
Instead, there are plenty of moves that could help your team against for instance some Sand sweepers like Stoutland that I find annoying for your team to face.
Just as a suggestion you could use Sunny Day on this slot. So once you kill Politoed and the Sand Streamer (people are likely to sacrifice them when they see a weatherless team) you can put the weather to something "neutral", helping you to take Water hits in late game where Rotom-W can be dead/lowHP.
If you find it too weird on Jirachi, you can also take U-Turn, it's a superior option in my opinion when you compare it to Fire Punch.

- Change Rotom-W's spread. This spread doesn't help you at all to take strong Rain boosted Hydro Pump. Your team is slow and you can't afford a Rotom-W too weak to take hits.
A bulky spread will get the job done, and give you this saving solution to strong Hydro Pumps.

I don't think I changed too many things here, basically it was just about making your team both bulkier and faster.
I hope that I helped !

THE SETS :

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Justified
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate
252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Psychock

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Levitate
248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will O Wisp
- Pain Split

Will O Wisp and not ThunderWave because Mamoswine is really too threatening, you rather have a good way to shut him down (especially if it's a Focus Sash set, you just have to Will O Wisp, and finish him with Hydro Pump).

TL;DR :
Scarf Keldeo > Scizor
CM Latias > Latios
Change Fire Punch on Jirachi
Change Rotom-W for a bulky set

and you got the wrong sprite for Landorus-T in the end of the Team Building process

Neliel

Sacred Sword
Hi there!
I did a similar build few days ago so i can give you some advice.
First off, rotom-w in this metage full of rain teams should always have a max hp investiment at least and possibly a max special defense with calm nature to take more special hits. If you dont do so you will take too much damage even to resisted moves like Keldeo's hydro pump or Hurricane, also here Rotom-w helps quite a bit against Mamoswine so the extra bulk is more appreciated than the power. Also, i dont think you need that much to care about dragonite putting Hp ice in the last slot, you already have scizor and Landorus-t to care about it, so i would change it to Rest. If you put rest, obviously remember to change the item into Chesto berry, so that you can wake up. I think that rotom-w here is the only thing that would like to take Toxic or scald's burn so i think that Chesto rest is better, but you can use Pain split and leftovers if you want.

Now moving on the star, Hydreigon, i honestly never found roost that usefull. The point is that hydreygon is not that fast, and if you use it without a choice scarf or a substitute is going to be revenge killed easily. Lets say that you do Drago meteor to something, then you have to switch the most of the times since every offensive team (but even more defensive one) have something that can outspeed and kill you. I would suggest a substitute here instead of roost since its seems that you are already enough weak to Mamoswine (even though bulky rotom-w helps) but also breloom, with a sub up you can at least take an hit and strike back a ko, without the sub you have to switch-out immediately and its not good. If you do that change, obviously dont use Life orb or Exbelt but Leftovers to so that you can do more substitute.

Now looking at your team i think that you are rather weak to Clorophill sweepers like venusaur and in general strong Fire attacks like Heatran under sun or Choice band victini. Also, spikers like Ferrothorn and Skarmory has some chance to setup stealth rocks and spikes against Landorus-t, scizor, rotom-w (only ferrothorn) and if there is rain up even against jirachi and Latios since they are rather weak, and this is not good since you dont have spinners (and you cant have one) and your team dont like at all entry hazards. For this reason i think that you should use special defense Heatran instead of Jirachi. Heatran does the same job on stopping Special threaths, but it can also stops sunny teams and ko skarmory and Ferrothorn. You only lose to Surf Latios and something like Gengar or Alakazam due to focus blast so if you think that they are problematic you can change the spread of your Cb scizor in something like this: 248 HP / 144 Atk / 116 SDef Adamant Nature, in this way you can take a specs draco meteor and pursuit latios as well as taking less damage from Gengar and Alakazam, but i think its optional. As for the move on Heatran, i would go with the standard Lava plume / Toxic / Roar / protect. Lava plume is your main stab which can come in handy to burn some phisical pokemon on the switch-in, lets say terrakion or garchomp. Toxic can hit bulkywater in predict since they always like to switch on Heatran. Protect is a great move to toxic stall something as well as scouting moves and gaining some hp. Roar, helps a lot against things like Dragons locked into Outrage or Volcarona, since you can phaze them out and with stealth rock damage they will die more quickly.

At this point the last thing i would tell you is to switch your calm mind latios in Choice scarf Latios. As remedy pointed out this team is not really fast and you dont have so many way to deal with scarf types, and having something to revenge kill anything in a pinch is great, for example choice scarf keldeo or terrakion can be a bit problematic since they can 2ko latios, but with the choice scarf you can outspeed and kill them. Scarf latios can also use trick which is a great move to weaken stall teams which seems a bit problematic to face. For the moves you can use Draco meteor / Surf / Psyshock / trick.

Thats it, i hope i helped!

sets:
Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Protect

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Rest

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

On hydra:
Roost > Substitute
Life orb > leftovers

Gimmick

Electric potential
Hey fire r a g e!

Got the request. This is a very solid team. I can attest to that statement since I've actually been testing it for a bit since on paper, I couldn't find any immediate weaknesses. However, when in actual use, I definitely noticed the downsides of the lack of a Scarfer along with some extreme trouble with Keldeo (and other stuff I'll cover later).

I'll cover the Scarfer first. To be frankly honest, Rotom-W is a let-down at times. It's not bulky enough to take rain-boosted Water moves nor is it powerful enough to deal massive amounts of damage. In BW2, the best way to go is either full out offensive or maxed out SDef. It's pretty mediocre when in-between (at least with what I've seen when testing your team). One massive problem I faced when using this team was SubDD Gyarados. It can just Substitute on Rotom-W's Volt Switch every time it comes in, so there is no real way to deal with it. I ended up doing some awkward switching with Landorus-T and Hydreigon to bait the Waterfall, but ended up taking unnecessary hazard damage. After some more testing, I decided that replacing Rotom with Scarf Thundurus-T was a good improvement to the team as it allows you to now outspeed and OHKO many threats such as Keldeo/Terrakion/Landorus/Kyurem-B/most importantly, Gyarados. Just having a Thundurus-T on your team will pressure your opponent into Waterfalling immediately instead of Dragon Dancing up. It has similar typing to Rotom-W as well, so it's not too much of a stretch. The massive amount of Speed on this guy is also much appreciated by a balanced team like this one. Hell, even stall teams appreciate Scarfers. It's almost difficult to use a team without a Scarfer in BW2. Thundurus-T just seems right for this team anyway. It still gives you a Volt-Turn combo while providing a ton more power and an exponential increase in speed.
(M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Now, addressing the Keldeo problem. It may not seem like you have such a problem, but in Rain, any Keldeo has the ability to 2HKO/OHKO everything on your team with Hydro Pump. Latios is the only thing that can switch in reliably and do some damage back.. but with Dragon Pulse. That's the problem here. I recommend replacing Surf with Psyshock. It has way too many benefits to pass up. OHKO Keldeo, Terrakion in sand, Breloom in rain, other fighting types, etc. I think out of the 10 games I played with your team, I used Surf only twice (against a Houndoom [l o l] and Landorus). With Psyshock, though, you can now OHKO arguably the biggest threat to your team (especially Calm Mind Keldeo variants) rather than widdle it down with Dragon Pulse. It's hard to just come out and say, "problem solved!," but it's pretty close to it.

I tried CM Latias with Recover to better handle rain teams, but it simply did not provide enough power right off the bat. I feel like your team benefits more from a powerful hitter rather than another bulky set-up sweeper. Plus, the coverage from HP Fire + Dragon Pulse + Psyshock helped greatly with a ton of threats to this team.

And lastly, a small change. Jirachi should be using a Careful nature since you're using only physical attacks and no special attacks. It was probably a typo but oh well. Anyway, that's all I have for you! Good luck, dude!~

Summary of Changes

• change to Scarf
    • Set:
      Thundurus-T (M) @ Choice Scarf
      - Thunderbolt
      - Volt Switch
      - Focus Blast
      - Hidden Power [Ice]
    • change Surf to Psyshock
    • change Calm to Careful

Hey!

I got your PM, so I am here to give you some advice. It looks like you've got a solid bulky weather-less team going, so good job with that. Your Hydreigon + Latios combo is definitely solid. One thing that sticks out to me is that your team is very passive. It's pretty slow, so you're not hitting things first. On top of that, it's not incredibly powerful either. I'm worried that in a lot of games other teams grab the momentum, and you're always a step behind trying to catch up by countering them. That's such an easy mistake to make, and it happens to me countless times.

It looks to me like Rotom-w is mainly on the team mainly as an answer to Water/Rain Spam. The problem with Rotom-w is that it really can't kill anything. Volt Switch is useful for momentum, but when it comes down to it, it's pretty weak. Hydro Pump only hits when you don't need it. WoW is pretty much Hydro Pump, but worse. No Pain Split means you won't be sticking round very long. Instead of Rotom-w, why not use a sweeper that is good against Rain and takes advantage of the holes Latios and Hydreigon create?

My first suggestion for the Rotom-w slot would be Sub DD Gyarados. It's such an underrated threat these days. Weak Rain Pokemon (like Politoed with Scald) get set up on all day. The only two real counters are Rotom-w and Ferrothorn. Rotom-w is pretty much only Specially defensive these days which means Gyarados can break through it much more easily. Rotom-w also has very little Speed these days, and when its only Electric move is Volt Switch, you can just Sub on the VS while Rotom-w has to switch out. Ferrothorn you've got covered really well by the rest of your team. Hydreigon and Latios should do a great job of switching into it and luring it our for the kill. The only issue is your lack of a Rapid Spinner, but I think Gyarados will work very well regardless. Just play it conservatively, especially if you see the opening for a Gyarados sweep.

Next, I really think you should switch to Life Orb Recover Latios. Most teams just don't have the time to get a CM in before being forced out, yours included. If Tyranitar is on the other team, you can bet it's switching right into Leftovers Latios to kill it. Life Orb will give you immediate wall breaking power. I'd say you can keep your current moves. I'd probably go with Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse personally, but I always prefer more power. Change Calm Mind to Roost for the ability to switch into Landorus and Rain teams more easily.

I'm sure Calm was just a mistake on Jirachi. Should be Careful because Calm is -Atk. Careful is -SpAtk. Also, I'd really like you to think about Protect over Fire Punch. Protect will allow you to switch into Lati@s, Tornadus-t, Gengar, etc with impunity. Non protect Jirachi always scares me because you could take a Surf, use Wish, but then be forced out by Landorus or another threatening switch-in. Then Jirachi can't do its job for the rest of the match. And let's face it: Fire Punch is almost exclusively for Ferrothorn, and Ferrothorn won't be KOed that easily. If it's Raining, Fire Punch is going to do next to nothing.

I think that's all I wanted to cover. Good work.

Good luck!

Hey fire r a g e!

Got the request. This is a very solid team. I can attest to that statement since I've actually been testing it for a bit since on paper, I couldn't find any immediate weaknesses. However, when in actual use, I definitely noticed the downsides of the lack of a Scarfer along with some extreme trouble with Keldeo (and other stuff I'll cover later).

I'll cover the Scarfer first. To be frankly honest, Rotom-W is a let-down at times. It's not bulky enough to take rain-boosted Water moves nor is it powerful enough to deal massive amounts of damage. In BW2, the best way to go is either full out offensive or maxed out SDef. It's pretty mediocre when in-between (at least with what I've seen when testing your team). One massive problem I faced when using this team was SubDD Gyarados. It can just Substitute on Rotom-W's Volt Switch every time it comes in, so there is no real way to deal with it. I ended up doing some awkward switching with Landorus-T and Hydreigon to bait the Waterfall, but ended up taking unnecessary hazard damage. After some more testing, I decided that replacing Rotom with Scarf Thundurus-T was a good improvement to the team as it allows you to now outspeed and OHKO many threats such as Keldeo/Terrakion/Landorus/Kyurem-B/most importantly, Gyarados. Just having a Thundurus-T on your team will pressure your opponent into Waterfalling immediately instead of Dragon Dancing up. It has similar typing to Rotom-W as well, so it's not too much of a stretch. The massive amount of Speed on this guy is also much appreciated by a balanced team like this one. Hell, even stall teams appreciate Scarfers. It's almost difficult to use a team without a Scarfer in BW2. Thundurus-T just seems right for this team anyway. It still gives you a Volt-Turn combo while providing a ton more power and an exponential increase in speed.
(M) @ Choice Scarf
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Now, addressing the Keldeo problem. It may not seem like you have such a problem, but in Rain, any Keldeo has the ability to 2HKO/OHKO everything on your team with Hydro Pump. Latios is the only thing that can switch in reliably and do some damage back.. but with Dragon Pulse. That's the problem here. I recommend replacing Surf with Psyshock. It has way too many benefits to pass up. OHKO Keldeo, Terrakion in sand, Breloom in rain, other fighting types, etc. I think out of the 10 games I played with your team, I used Surf only twice (against a Houndoom [l o l] and Landorus). With Psyshock, though, you can now OHKO arguably the biggest threat to your team (especially Calm Mind Keldeo variants) rather than widdle it down with Dragon Pulse. It's hard to just come out and say, "problem solved!," but it's pretty close to it.

I tried CM Latias with Recover to better handle rain teams, but it simply did not provide enough power right off the bat. I feel like your team benefits more from a powerful hitter rather than another bulky set-up sweeper. Plus, the coverage from HP Fire + Dragon Pulse + Psyshock helped greatly with a ton of threats to this team.

And lastly, a small change. Jirachi should be using a Careful nature since you're using only physical attacks and no special attacks. It was probably a typo but oh well. Anyway, that's all I have for you! Good luck, dude!~

Summary of Changes

• change to Scarf
    • Set:
      Thundurus-T (M) @ Choice Scarf
      - Thunderbolt
      - Volt Switch
      - Focus Blast
      - Hidden Power [Ice]
    • change Surf to Psyshock
    • change Calm to Careful
Doesn't that make me very susceptible to Ice?

Gimmick

Electric potential
Doesn't that make me very susceptible to Ice?
Not at all. You have both Scizor and Jirachi to resist Ice. In OU, Ice is not a common offensive STAB typing, so it's not something you need to set out to prepare for (2 resists is plenty, especially since Scizor OHKOs/scares out Mamoswine). Abomasnow, Cloyster, Mamoswine, and Kyurem[-B] are the only Ice types in OU, all of which can OHKO your Rotom-W anyway (Cloyster and Mamoswine need Rocks damage). Ice is really only seen as a coverage move for offensive Waters, Fighters, and Electrics. Lucario, for instance, often uses Ice Punch as coverage, which doesn't matter at all to Rotom since it can just Close Combat. Thundurus-T uses HP Ice for coverage, but Rotom doesn't want to switch into a Thunder. The only ice type you have to prepare for in OU is Mamoswine, but you can Pursuit trap/Bullet Punch with Scizor to remove it quite easily. In summary, with 2 Ice resists and a solid check to Mamoswine, you're totally fine with replacing Rotom.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Not at all. You have both Scizor and Jirachi to resist Ice. In OU, Ice is not a common offensive STAB typing, so it's not something you need to set out to prepare for (2 resists is plenty, especially since Scizor OHKOs/scares out Mamoswine). Abomasnow, Cloyster, Mamoswine, and Kyurem[-B] are the only Ice types in OU, all of which can OHKO your Rotom-W anyway (Cloyster and Mamoswine need Rocks damage). Ice is really only seen as a coverage move for offensive Waters, Fighters, and Electrics. Lucario, for instance, often uses Ice Punch as coverage, which doesn't matter at all to Rotom since it can just Close Combat. Thundurus-T uses HP Ice for coverage, but Rotom doesn't want to switch into a Thunder. The only ice type you have to prepare for in OU is Mamoswine, but you can Pursuit trap/Bullet Punch with Scizor to remove it quite easily. In summary, with 2 Ice resists and a solid check to Mamoswine, you're totally fine with replacing Rotom.
I don't want to be a nuisance, but Mamoswine takes only 50% from Pursuit if he switches out. On the other hand, Scizor takes 65% from Earthquake. So at best you predict the Mamoswine switch, and you're stuck on Pursuit.
I think you are underestimating Mamoswine a little, since he kills cleanly 5 members of the team at the moment if Thundurus-T replaces Rotom-W.
Aside from Mamoswine a Scarf Keldeo can clean the team easily with Rotom-W gone, he just has to use Hydro Pump everytime he comes in, no even need any prediction skills because at worse you switch to Latios and he 2HKO you after SR.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey fire r a g e, I got your PM so I'm here to rate your team :)

Looking over your team, it seems very solid, but I have noticed a threat that can potentially 6-0 you. Volcarona. After Volcarona sets up a Quiver Dance (which is easy considering Scizor and Hydregion after -2SpAtk drop are set up bait), and basically 6-0's you. You also have no speed on this team, which previous raters have pointed out. I plan to hit two birds with one stone here.

I suggest replacing Rotom-W with Scarf Terrakion. Terrakion forms a great offensive combo with Latios, and it offers you much needed speed for this team, while still revenging Volcarona. Rotom-W doesn't seem to be doing too much for your team, and the EV spread is pretty underwhelming in this metagame. Terrakion also offers you a solid check in Dragon types, like +1 Mence, who seem to give you a hard time if Scizor is down / weakened.

Here's the set

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Overall, solid team man, and sorry for the late rate, but lately I've been busy. Congrats on a solid team.

I've been fighting a few teams, and whenever I am up against a Rain team, I always seem to lose. Is it my team or the way I fight Rain teams?

Also, how can my team handle Keldeo?

Gimmick

Electric potential
I don't want to be a nuisance, but Mamoswine takes only 50% from Pursuit if he switches out. On the other hand, Scizor takes 65% from Earthquake. So at best you predict the Mamoswine switch, and you're stuck on Pursuit.
I think you are underestimating Mamoswine a little, since he kills cleanly 5 members of the team at the moment if Thundurus-T replaces Rotom-W.
Aside from Mamoswine a Scarf Keldeo can clean the team easily with Rotom-W gone, he just has to use Hydro Pump everytime he comes in, no even need any prediction skills because at worse you switch to Latios and he 2HKO you after SR.
I seriously hope I didn't come off as underestimating Mamoswine, because I was actually trying to praise it :[ The reason I elected to replace Rotom-W was because it wasn't a solid check to most Mamoswine. Since his Rotom is currently undersped even by Adamant Mamoswine, it will inevitably take Superpowers:

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine (+Atk) Superpower vs 184 HP/4 Def Rotom-W: 61.32% - 72.47% (2 hits to KO)

That means after 2 Ice Shards, Rotom is going down. It may also take other passive damage from Stealth Rock or other weak moves. It puts Rotom into a position where its switching presence is limited when the opponent has a Mamoswine, which isn't good for a bulky pivot switch.

By no means did I imply that Scizor OHKOs Mamoswine with Pursuit. Since Scizor scares Mamoswine out with Bullet Punch, Pursuit trapping aids the ability to take Mamoswine out with passive damage (Stealth Rock, Life Orb). That's one of the assets to Scizor on this team--Mamoswine simply can't switch out to preserve HP in order to wreck havoc later on. Yes, it's situational. Yes, it's in theory. But a good player will most likely recognize Mamoswine's ability to handle the team and probably switch out against Scizor at least once.

About Keldeo. Rotom-W isn't a "check" to that either. It's just another Pokemon that gets 2HKO'd by a rain boosted Hydro Pump:

252 SpAtk Keldeo-R Hydro Pump in Rain vs 184 HP/0 SpDef Rotom-W: 47.74% - 56.45% (2 hits to KO with Stealth Rock)

You stated that Latios isn't a good answer because of this reason alone, while Rotom is actually in a worse situation. Keldeo never 2HKO's Leftovers Latios with a rain boosted Hydro Pump unless Stealth Rock is up. Even with Rocks up, though, Keldeo has a very miniscule chance. Of course, it's not a good idea to switch into Keldeo with this team due to that fact, so Rotom-W surely does provide a bit more insurance after sacking something.

And actually, because of this discussion, I'm leaning toward the idea that this team actually would be better off with a Latias, even though the CM Latios + Hydreigon pair is quite attractive. I was pondering the idea of a Scarf Latios + bulky Rotom-W, but that would hurt the offensive core of the team and remove an opportunist set-up sweeper. 252 HP Latias, though, can take any 2 hits from Keldeo (and others) and Recover off the damage:

252 SpAtk Keldeo Hydro Pump in Rain vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Latias: 31.87% - 37.64% (3-4 hits to KO)

I really want to keep Psyshock to handle Terrakion/Keldeo/Breloom, but the SubCM set seems to fit really nicely here. Maybe a CM Dual STAB set? Here, I'll post a general skeleton with a bunch of slashes:

(F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse / Psyshock / Substitute / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock / Dragon Pulse / Substitute / Hidden Power [Fire]

Hydreigon isn't causing the switches I hoped it would. None of the matches switched out of Hydreigon. I thought it caused a lot of them. I am considering switching him. Anyone got ideas?

Hi :D

Looking at your team it seems to me that sun teams can be difficult to face. This is a problem that a lot of weatherless teams have simply because they have no way of changing the weather so the opponents Chlorophly sweepers are free to abuse their +2 speed. This makes Pokemon like Venasaur hard for you to deal with because they can outspeed your whole team and can get a Sleep Powder on one of your Pokemon essentially turning the game into a 5 vs 6 situation. A Venasaur with Growth / Sludge Bomb / Giga Drain / Hidden Power [Fire] looks like a pain to deal with because after a Growth boost nothing can stop it from sweeping your team. Quiver Dance Volcarona also looks like an issue because with Bug Buzz / Fire Blast / Giga Drain he can hit all of your team super effectively but Landorus who won't like taking a +1 Fire Blast especially in sun. Volcarona also outspeeds your whole team at +1 which lets it sweep your team even easier. Venasaur is often paired with Volcarona on sun teams, and if a sun team carries both these pokemon. One of them is pretty much gauranteed a sweep against this team. As other have mentioned Keldeo is quite threatening for this team because it can pretty much 2hko your entire team with rain boosted Hydro Pump. I also noticed your team lacked a Choice Scarf user which is quite an issue as it gives your team a hard time beating Pokemon that are on the verge of a sweep.

You mentioned needing a replacement for Hydriegon so i suggest using an Offensive Heatran>Hydriegon Heatran does so much for your team, first of all with his useful typing he can help you greatly against Volcarona and Venasaur either resisting or being immune to the coverage moves that Volcarona and Venasaur typically carry. While some Venasaur carry Sleep Powder making Heatran a shaky counter those ones typically have to forgo Sludge Bomb letting you beat them with Latios's Psyshock. Seeing as you have Stealth Rock on Jirachi you are free to run Toxic on Heatran which is great for beating Volcarona and crippling Keldeo switch ins, and other Water-types. The fact that this team is weatherless and Heatran lures in Hippowdon and Politoed well, Toxic is also a good way to screw with them two! Fire Blast / Earthpower / Hidden Power [Ice] provide the best all round coverage, helping you hit a lot of Pokemon super effectivley. Like you said you were looking for a replacement for Hydriegon anyway and Heatran synergises well with your team, helps you with a few of your teams problems and Heatran can cause switches quite well. Shed Shell is the prefered item to help you more with sun teams due to being able to avoid Dugtrios Arena Trap.

However with Heatran your team becomes a little bit more weak to rain despite Heatrans ability to lure in bulky Water-types and cripple them with Toxic. To help you with rain i would personally run a Bulky Rotom-W Set with more bulk Rotom-W will be better equipped to help you take the boosted Water-type attacks found by the opponent. With Hidden Power [Ice] now found on your Heatran you won't miss it at all and you can afford to run Pain Split so Rotom-W has a from of recovery. I would also use Thunder Wave instead of Will-o-Wisp so you can cripple Keldeos speed so it is less of a threat and so you can revenge kill Choice Scarf varaints with Latios. Thunderwave is also great to cripple Volcarona so you can bring in Landorus-T to beat it with Stone Edge. An ev spread of 252 Hp / 28 SpA / 228 Sp Def would be best to give Rotom-W the best special bulk possible while being able to ohko Gliscor with Hydro Pump.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Heatran @ Shed Shell | Flash Fire
Timid | 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Fire Blast | Earthpower | Toxic | Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-W @ Leftovers | Levitate
Calm | 252 Hp / 28 SpA / 228 Sp Def
Hydro Pump | Volt Switch | Thunder Wave | Pain Split

Tl;dr
Hydriegon--->Heatran

Rotom-W
.Current Set--->Bulky Set

~Superpowerdude

I have tried out everyone's changes and so far the changes that had the best results have been from undisputed's changes. I will try out your changes next, superpowerdude. :)

Thank you everyone who has helped me through making this team great! I really appreciate it. However, it is now time to put this RMT to rest. I will be back soon with a new team for you all to rate!

@ Superpowerdude, thank you so much. Those suggestions have helped me the most. Heatran does help me immensely with Sun Teams.

Either way, all of you have been a great help to me. Good bye for now everyone! Happy Holidays!

I have had time to test the team more, and I have implemented one of ShootinStarmie's changes, which was to replace Rotom-W with Terrakion. I have updated the OP with two changes; one of them is replacing Hydreigon.

i would recommend changing hp fire for recover on latios and you can add a life orb or keep the leftovers...i had used it myself and it has worked wonders and you have a guaranteed 2KO to Ttar +1 252 SpA Life Orb Latios Surf vs. 252 HP / 192+ SpD Tyranitar: 307-361 (75.99 - 89.35%) -- guaranteed 2HKO or if you want you can try out Latias if you prefer something bulkier idk....but i still think its gonna be better...test it yourself :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)