"battle spot and you" august: pikachu tournamentchu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda want this to be a series covering the battle spot competitions that also get added as tiers to the server, much like Pikachu Tournamentchu was this month. I actually don't know if that's gonna be a regular thing, but as long as it is, I could write these articles. I play quite a bit of Pikachu Tournamentchu which is the main reason I think I could effectively write the article you feel. ofc this means this would have to be thrown into the august player if it's approved but yeah details

wrote down my initial thoughts and plans. probably won't be a super long article but I'll get as in-depth as I can

"Battle Spot and You" August: Pikachu Tournamentchu

Background and Rules
Pikachu Tournamentchu is the Japanese tournament held in August to commemorate a "Pikachu Outbreak" event in Japan. The tier restricts Pokemon usage to only Pokemon that can evolve but have not evolved. This resembles that of Middle Cup, since fully evolved Pokemon are banned but middle stages and Little Cup Pokemon are allowed and often times encouraged or highly used Pokemon, some of which earning themselves a title as a threat within the tier. Additionally, only Pokemon that can be found in the three Kalos dex can be used on teams. Finally, only one of a particular item may be used and Eviolite is banned.

Common Threats and Sets
Pikachu Tournamentchu is a rare case in that the battles are in Triples format so a lot of the conventional tactics used in Singles aren't quite as practical. Some procedures carry over from Doubles as the concept of the two formats is similar, but there's still a different degree of planning and strategy to Triples than Doubles.

As far as Pokemon choices go, the Kalos dex restriction is a godsend for those afraid of the likes of Dusclops and Porygon2 which would otherwise be incredibly difficult threats to waste. In fact, it writes off a good chunk of nightmarish bulky or heavily offensive threats, including Chansey - however some are still hanging tight, such as Rhydon, Scyther, Sneasel, Magneton, Doublade, and Piloswine. These threats make up the core of the tier as they create a certain sense of centralization since most teams won't be well off without coverage for most of if not all of them.

Rhydon
Rhydon is arguably one of the most dangerous threats, as it boasts the second highest BST in the tier at 485 which includes a monstrous 130 Attack and high defensive bulk in 105/120. The primary ability used, Lightningrod, is also useful at redirecting Electric-type attacks, likely originating from Pikachu or Magneton, rendering them useless. Rhydon finds itself abusing STAB Rock Slide in conjunction with a middle spot, the place that allows Rock Slide to hit all three Pokemon on the opposite side of the field. Backed by a Life Orb or Choice Band, Rhydon clears fields in seconds. Earthquake is also another popular move for Rhydon, though team support in the form of Levitators, Protect, and Air Balloon are recommended to prevent one from sweeping one's own team as well.

Scyther
Simply put, Scyther is frightening. Its Base 105 Speed grants it a guaranteed Tailwind set-up, second only to Gale Wings Fletchling/Fletchinder's Tailwind. In conjunction with Protect or Fake Out users, a team has doubled Speed with little to no effort, and Scyther's Base 110 Attack and access to Swords Dance spells destruction for most teams. Scyther's main downside is a lack of reliable STAB moves, its strongest being Base 80 X-Scissor, but it does get access to Knock Off and a +2 Knock Off from Scyther to something still holding an item is more than likely an OHKO. Backed up by Tailwind, nothing is safe.

Magneton
Magneton is a decent threat even without Eviolite because of its Base 120 Special Attack. Thankfully its subpar 50/60/70 defenses doesn't leave it a complete glass cannon due to its Steel typing and, by relation, plethora of resistances and immunities. Magneton usually finds itself at the end of a Choice Scarf on teams that focus on Speed without the use of Tailwind and are wanting to sweep as fast as possible. However otherwise Magneton can greatly benefit from Life Orb and Tailwind support will let it 2HKO if not OHKO essentially everything in the tier bar Lanturn and Pikachu, though the latter will only survive at most a few Flash Cannons before it's taken down and Pikachu has very little to react with aside from Knock Off and Brick Break and the former is only greatly effective once.

Sneasel

Doublade

Piloswine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)