Battle Spot is under new management! Read inside!

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey everyone, Battle Spot has mods now, Hulavuta and myself. Please don't see me as larger than life or anything lol, I still want to hang out and discuss Battle Spot with you all.

Nothing much will change and over the next few days, this forum will receive a massive facelift. I have updated the rules and am now combing through the leaderboard thread. We have a SQSA thread finally. We also don't have a doubles discussion thread or a battle videos sharing thread, those will also be coming shortly.

Regarding Viability Rankings resources - I need some input from you guys.
1. My proposal is to lump in the "viability rankings thread" with the general discussion threads (Singles rankings in Singles thread, etc). This way, people can easily access these resources, actually talk about these metas, and the forum won't be cluttered with a million threads.

2. Option 2 is to throw in all the tiers into one big viability rankings thread. The reason I'm a bit biased against this is purely due to length and it might get confusing. However, if people are more comfortable with discussion in one thread, then I will do that.

3. Option 3 is to post rankings for each tier (on an "as needed basis" because I don't think rotation will have as much a demand as singles) in its own separate thread but it could clutter the forum quickly.

Obviously written from my bias, but I'm looking for input.

Also upcoming: usage statistics discussion thread. I want to have a good quality OP but I haven't been stalking the PGL as much as I like.

As far as rules, there is a legit rules thread that isn't copy-pasta! Please take the time to read them through. It's mostly common sense stuff, Hula and I are more concerned with promoting Battle Spot than "laying down the law". However, there are some forum specific rules that shouldn't affect too many of you, but please be mindful of them.

Thanks everyone, and we will be working tirelessly to (hopefully) beat the Japanese!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to both of you - considering your proactiveness I can't think of anyone better suited to be honest. Anyways, this place needs some love and it's long overdue, so I look forward to seeing exactly what you guys have in mind ^_^ I like Option #1 concerning VR, but Option #3 could also work.

EDIT: I'm going to overhaul the RMT thread so it's actually presentable and serious-looking... Watch this space

Last edited:
I guess I'm pro option #1 for viability rankings. How is that going to play with the PGL discussion thread, though, since that will presumably be tracking trends for four or five different formats at once?

Also, would the viability lists be maintained on the first page of the discussion threads? That'd seem to make the most sense if the intent is to have them be a good starting resource, but it would require one dedicated poster to maintain them.

Also, also, this is all super cool

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Thanks ethan06, I really appreciate you participating :)

Whiskey Tango Usage statistics are different than viability rankings. Usage stats can all go in one separate TBD discussion thread, as the simulator statistics thread has traditionally done this and there were no problems. I basically want activity to go into the metagame threads because as it stands, the tournaments get more activity in talking about meta trends. What better way to get people talking in the threads then talking about how good X / Y is.

Yes, my plan for option #1 is to have the viability lists on the front page of their respective meta threads in the OP. Maintaining that and other resources is the reason I'm mod because it'll be my job to maintain them. Right now I'm drafting an OP for singles to get discussion started, then moving on according to demand. I don't think we will be doing specials ladders simply because they change every season.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Regarding Viability Rankings resources - I need some input from you guys.
1. My proposal is to lump in the "viability rankings thread" with the general discussion threads (Singles rankings in Singles thread, etc). This way, people can easily access these resources, actually talk about these metas, and the forum won't be cluttered with a million threads.

2. Option 2 is to throw in all the tiers into one big viability rankings thread. The reason I'm a bit biased against this is purely due to length and it might get confusing. However, if people are more comfortable with discussion in one thread, then I will do that.

3. Option 3 is to post rankings for each tier (on an "as needed basis" because I don't think rotation will have as much a demand as singles) in its own separate thread but it could clutter the forum quickly.

Obviously written from my bias, but I'm looking for input.
I'm in favor of option 1, but I worry that nominations and nitpicking individual viability rankings could detract and distract from general discussion and vice versa, however I could see how the forum would get cluttered (and one or the other would get buried) if we kept them separate. Anywhoo, this is looking pretty good! :D

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey all,

kind of unfortunate that I'm so busy IRL my first day on the job but what can you do haha

First off, as far as viability rankings goes, I agree with EnGarde about having separate threads for discussion and for viability ranking. That's how the other metagames do it and although they are related, I think there is a fine line between metagame discussion and debate about how all the Pokemon stack up. And trust me when I say viability arguments can get very long. And I think there's no need to worry about thread cluttering as this forum is pretty much guaranteed to always have less activity than one such as OverUsed, which is still manageable.

Would it help at all if we got "tags" like some of the other forums have, so you can see at a glance which threads are for singles, doubles, etc?
I truthfully don't know how to get those..... Hulavuta ?
That's a really good idea. They have to be added by an Administrator or Super Moderator. Fortunately, Stellar said he would be willing to do any software stuff like that if we needed it, so lets ask him :D

If anyone else has any ideas, please VM them to me. I promise to reply to all suggestions.

Finally, I encourage everyone to join #battlespot on IRC for real time chatting about Battle Spot. This channel is cadaveriffic and it's a shame. Wouldn't it be great if we were all talking while we all played in one of the online competitions? I think that'd be fun! IRC is kind of a passive chat room, so if there's no one chatting, don't worry. The analogy I always use is IRC is like a cell phone, just because it's on doesn't mean you are always talking, but you are available if someone calls. Check out the channel whenever you get long stretches of free time, and check out other channels if you're new to IRC too. I'll give power to regulars! :o

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
If you guys were looking for a list of all Battle Spot sections, they are:

Free Battle Sections:
Single
Double
Triple
Rotation

Rating Battle Sections:
Single
Double
Triple
Rotation
Special

Competitions

Personally, I think all of them should have their own tags, since some of us like playing free battle with ubers, and there could be some fun, if more informal, discussion about these. :)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
If you guys were looking for a list of all Battle Spot sections, they are:

Free Battle Sections:
Single
Double
Triple
Rotation

Rating Battle Sections:
Single
Double
Triple
Rotation
Special

Competitions

Personally, I think all of them should have their own tags, since some of us like playing free battle with ubers, and there could be some fun, if more informal, discussion about these. :)
I think just this would be good enough:
Single
Double
Triple
Rotation
Special

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Ok, I'm at least convinced singles viability rankings should be its own thread largely because it seems that the singles thread has a good amount of activity on its own and we don't want people to feel drowned out. It should be up within the next few days. I have posted the video thread.

Another good point @EnGarde....I think Free Battle should have its own thread but not one for each tier because some of them have problems on their own. But yeah, free-for-all should have some discussion, though it's not as high priority as the other stuff.

Singles and Doubles should be independent, Rotation and Triples should go in the discussion threads. Also could we try to work on special viability ranks?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
It'd be nice if the tags were different colors so you could identify them at a glance. Right now they're all the same and the pale light blue doesn't help much either.

(Also aren't they supposed to be Singles, Doubles, etc?)

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It'd be nice if the tags were different colors so you could identify them at a glance. Right now they're all the same and the pale light blue doesn't help much either.

(Also aren't they supposed to be Singles, Doubles, etc?)
The tags were added but don't have colors yet, I believe Stellar said we had to wait for chaos or some other admins to update github or something, I'm not really familiar with the forum software.

And we usually refer to them as plurals but on the actual PGL site and in-game they are singular, so we're going with that. When the tag colors come in, they will also be the same colors as the metagame symbols on the site!

EDIT: Looks like this is now done.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)