#battlespot IRC Party!

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
sort of approved by Age of Kings and Hulavuta (don't hate me pls ;_;)

The agreed on time will be from 6pm PST on the 15th Nov until 10pm the same night (Click me!)

So this is a little idea that I pitched to the folks in charge about a week ago, and they seemed fairly positive about the idea so I thought I'd post it on the actual board to test the waters and get a bit of that delicious public opinion. To paraphrase from the PM conversation; the Battle Spot section's IRC channel has been dead for far too long, and so I've decided to try and organise a party (of sorts) to attempt to boot it up and get some activity going through there. I'm thinking of hosting a tournament (possibly on cartridge because eww showdown), possibly bullying some of the more experienced players into holding some AMAs and basically making it a good time for all involved.

The other reason for this thread is that we need to allocate a time for this thing: As we all live in different places around the world, it'll be difficult to cater for everyone who wants to stay up and enjoy our company due to pesky irl things like school, work, sleep, etc. We can, however, set a date, so I'm going to tentatively suggest that we hold this thing sometime next weekend, which in calendar terms would be the 15th and 16th of November. I'm open to the idea of pushing it back another week to coincide with the OR/AS release. Here's a helpful link if anyone wants to help me figure out the best time for this.

So what do you guys think? Good idea, bad idea, suggestions on how to ensure this runs smoothly (it's my first day ;_;)?

EDIT: Thanks EnGarde, I'm bad. Here's a direct link to the #battlespot IRC channel on mibbit. Also general information :D

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
ethan06 You should probably link this in the OP for people like me. :) Also, this. I don't know anything at all whatsoever about IRC, and I know I'm probably not the only one. I've tried using colloquy, but I've never been able to actually connect with it (though, I also wasn't super seriously trying, soo...) :-/ Maybe I'll try more seriously this time. And I guess there's always mibbit...

That said, I'd love to join in on a day of battle spotting, with or without a tourney. Getting together and comparing teams and whatnot sounds fun. :)

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm down for either weekend, I enjoy in-game so I'll probably be spouting unwarranted self-importance commentary as I play the storyline.

Oh, busy most of Sunday the 16th....but I think we should aim for a Saturday anyways to accommodate the folks from Europe and Oceania.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If no one can make it me and ethan06 can have a solo party #teamaus

Either way I'm keen for this. I once tried to get on irc but I wasn't sure if it was working right (either that or the channels I was checking were dead). This could probably just serve as an irc 101 for most of us haha

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I love getting plans piled on me at the last moment....I will be out next Sunday and Saturday afternoon I'm going in for car maintenance but I should be good after that. I don't sleep that much on weekends so give us a time to show up?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Alright, so with that in mind it'll need to be on Saturday, and it'll need to be daytime in America... How does this look? It'll be tough on cant say and myself but it's on the Saturday morning for AoK and it's solidly in the day for the whole of America so anyone can hop in. That's 11am EST on the 15th of November.

EDIT: Putting it on the Monday could work too, try this one...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I'm on PST (Los Angeles) and while I am a bit of an early bird, that's too early. You should do Saturday evening in America because that looks a lot better. I don't know how you got that neat little display to show up, show me how please? Anyways, fiddle around with the clock, but try 6pm PST. idk how late the East Coasters here are keen on staying.

Second one is when I have work lol.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
I linked the Meeting Planner in the OP at the bottom of the second paragraph; when the table comes up after selecting the cities and the date and clicking "Show" you can click on the rows to provide a neat little summary of the times (the ones I'm linking). 6pm PST looks fairly perfect for everyone except the UK so I'm going to roll with that. I'm floundering way too much atm ;_; I'll add the time to the OP so we can start working out details and stuff.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Hi! I'm interested in this and am in US eastern time...but I'm more of a night owl when it comes to foruming. I prefer to play in the evening, so the 7 pm US eastern time slot ethan06 posted sounds good for me. I tend to forum 6pm to usually midnight, though I'll sometimes stay up later depending. I need to double check that I don't have anything planned for that Saturday or Monday (whichever day we plan for), but otherwise, that looks good to me.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Is there any way we can advertise this to a wider audience at all? I love that the regulars are so on board with this but there's, like, six of us...

Sounds like a great idea! I'm on the other side of the world but I'll try to be there to chat about/play battlespot. It's definitely become one of my favourite metagames since we got a ladder on cartridge so I'm hoping to do more interacting and less lurking. Things like this is a good way to go about that.

Hopefully there will be others like me who aren't as active to be there

this is a really good idea ethan06. i am free on saturday (as far as i know, but i usally don't do anything on the weekends). i aslo live in PST (Las Vegas) so almost any time is good for me. i would love to enter the tournament but i don't have x/y. plus i think it would be a bit more of a hassel to play on x/y and add friend codes and that shit. we could have an x/y bracket and a showodnw bracket, but i think showdown would be more easier. this is a really good idea and i'm showing up :)

EDIT: btw our #irc channel is #battlespot right?

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
6PM PST pretty much excludes anyone living in europe (like me)
This is actually a fairly big issue with the timing of this. It's always night-time somewhere so finding a time when nobody's losing sleep (or doing other irl stuff like work) is really difficult. This chart illustrates the issue nicely: there aren't any times where someone isn't staying up until/getting up at an ungodly hour to attend. 6pm PST puts the UK in the night but gives a reasonable time for America and Japan/Australia. We have two confirmed attendees from Australia (one of which is the host!) and I don't doubt we have at least a few Japanese posters in the Battle Spot forum so we can't bone them with a time like this one. This is going to sound really mean and I'm truly sorry, but afaik you're the only regular poster from Europe (feel free to pop in and help Pyritie out if you're European!) so I might have to ask you to pull a late one that night :(

Side note: If you haven't already done so, pop over to the Friend Code thread to add people and put your own code down - it'll make cart stuff like trading and battling so much easier ^_^ (looking forward to some friendly multis)

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
6PM PST pretty much excludes anyone living in europe (like me)
We tried to accommodate as many people as possible, but it's literally impossible to make a time convenient for everyone. We picked a day such that no one has to struggle to get up for work/school the next day, so even European night owls can join in if they so wish.

It's pretty cool that we have posters from all over the world. If you see the discussion above, we did take differing time zones into account. But again....unless we stop the Earth rotating, it's extremely difficult to be able to include everyone.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm busy Sunday afternoon (have a volleyball game at 1pm), not sure when I'll be back but if it's before 5pm (10pm PST) then I'll join and see if there's still anyone around :)

I'm not too active around here (yet) but I can bring the party like it's 1999. ;o

Incidentally, my birthday is on Monday. I'm not doing anything for it, so I guess this is as good as I'll get. Unless I somehow manage to get a date with a particular young lady, then that would make all my years... xD

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I haven't checked my Bagon eggs yet (i.e. for shinies or w/e) but I'll give away what's available to promote this further. I also have two NA Diancie codes. Will probably poke the Smogon social media crew tomorrow to see if we can get this on Smogon's Facebook :)

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I haven't checked my Bagon eggs yet (i.e. for shinies or w/e) but I'll give away what's available to promote this further. I also have two NA Diancie codes. Will probably poke the Smogon social media crew tomorrow to see if we can get this on Smogon's Facebook :)
Hello! I'm in #battlespot now. :) Finally got colloquy to work, too! I know I'm early, but I'm also feeling mighty lonesome...Hopefully the rest of you guys will sign on soon.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Well guys it was a really fun evening with all of you who were there, hope we can repeat this other days and get new people to join us, also I noticed, my 100th post, shoutouts to you for being Battle Spot lovers n_n

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Yeah, that IRC party was pretty epic. Lots of friendly matches to be had, and some really fun discussions. Here are 2 multi-battles that I participated in with Hulavuta ethan06 and vzxt . :D

s2ww-wwww-wwwa-j6q9
dsjw-wwww-wwwa-j6qb

Let's do this again sometime real soon. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)