being a staff member

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know yet what direction I want to take with this article FULLY because Blitz's staff article might seem similar. I talked to Spydreigon about it and he agreed with my idea that I could put a personal spin on it. I'm not global staff but I do think that I have more than enough staff experience in general to be able to describe to someone the staff experience from a personal standpoint. I can throw in hypotheticals as well to make it interesting. gna draft what i can here to get a feel for it

not necessarily in order or GOOD because i'm v tired shut up
Being a staff member comes with not only its perks, but its shortcomings. While the experience as a staff member can bring oneself attention and character building qualities, the job bears the weight of a lot of responsibility. If you're not equipped to handle the obligations and "hardships" of being a staff member, you might not last very long on the staff team. I can tell you from personal experience that taking on a task you're unprepared for can lead to an uncanny sense of wanting to leap off a cliff.

Becoming staff is no easy task, but maintaining the position - and your sanity - is a whole other ball game. Take, for instance, you've become a Driver. First of all, congratulations! If you're global, you've now got potentially thousands of users to police at any given time. This is a rather daunting task, especially in the lobby chat as there's so many different things going on at once. There's messages coming in faster than you can read the previous line. Within those messages are the occasional (well, let's face it, they're more than occasional) messages that are inappropriate, obnoxious, or otherwise rule-breaking. At that point, you've got to fulfill your job as a Driver by handling the issue. That's the easy part - it's doing this for hours and hours every day for the rest of your life! Well, at least until you actually go through with leaping off that cliff.

Something that can grate on one's nerves are those that question your actions, and believe me, this will happen more often than you might like. Take a scenario in which you've just roombanned someone, but you're also in another room that they are. They private message you complaining about the ban. What should you do? They might be persistent and very red-in-the-face so you need to be as tactful as possible to handle the situation without further angering the user. This is important because a lot of people's view of staff in general is already skewed as is. Regardless, as staff you're hopefully someone with an ingrained sense of passion to a certain degree. Pleasing people should be one of your goals, right? You're helping to keep the room/server free of idiocy, after all! Let's face it, the idiocy will always be present, but we try.

idk where i'm going with this, thoughts?

There is a lot of content similar to this right now so I'm going to leave this here for a few months until it has nothing too similar to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)